Phuket Schools

Prizefighter

Hello

I've been serching for details of Phuket schools for my daughter who is in year 7 (1st year of secondary school for oldtimers like me). I've found Dulwich college and QSI and to be honest the fees are higher than I can easily afford.

Are there any more affordable schools? One alternative I've considered is hiring a tutor has anyone done this?

Thanks...

Hi;

We had our 7 year old at the Montesori school In Chalong for 2 years . Only stoped because they did not get their international status. I have heard from a friend that has his 7 year old there they did get their status as an international school so it would be worth a look. One thing I objected to was all their teachers although I really thought they were great, english was not their mother tongue. My daughter was bringin home words that she learned and I have no idea what she was saying until she showed me the word and then had to go correct the teacher the next day :-)

I love the Montesori system thou. It was about 110,000/year

Now she is almost 10 and at Dulwich. It ain't cheap!! 300,000/year includes a great buffet lunch.

The other options are;

QSI; about the same pirce but no where near the facilties BUT it is American teaching vs english at Dulwich.

And the kranjat or something,( a good thai/chinese school) like that in Phuket town. Thai school but classes taught in English and ONLY around 100,000/year.

I have friends that have their kids there and they are happy with the school and teachers.

I do have a friedn that has just hired a teacher from NZ to come and home school his kid and 3 other kids ( all were in Dulwich) BUT it also is not cheap, each kid will be paying about 275,000/year and no facitilites like real schools.

To find a good teacher that will home school your kid can be done. Give the guy that runs the Office express ( mike). he home schools his kid I think and she has never been in a real school.

Those really are your only options here in Phuket.

if you come up with a good teacher form the states who is willing to home school kids let me know. My daughter is in Dulwich class 5 which is really class 4 in the states.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Could anyone give me upto date info, regarding the admittance of 2 children into the Phuket education system. We are planning to leave the UK in February 2007 and commence school after Easter. The British International School would have been ideal, however, we believe it to be far too expensive, therefore, we are at a loose end. The American School hasn`t come back to us yet.

I was interested to read about the Montessori School. What age do they accept children upto?

I would really, really appreciate any info whatsoever, that you could give me.

P.S. One daughter is 11 and the youngest is 7 years

Regards,

Melanie Tennant

The problem with Montessori is, well, it is Montessori. Besides the fact that the kids I teach/tutor from Montessori have zero reading or critical thinking skills.

Other issues is no ac in the rooms, and that distracts the falang kids, particularly those from Korea and European kids who just moved here.

QSI is $3000 USD per term, 2 terms per year. Not 300,000 Baht per term as in Dulwich. You may want to review that pricing.

There is a school near the stadium, it has a Stamford English program (programme-wink wink) and it costs 30k per term for falang or 10k per term for Thai born children.

Their English is ok. I was teaching IELTS to a 20 year old Korean girl for her entrance tests to a UK university and she was able to understand a good 80% of what I was teaching, and that is rare in these parts.

They also teach Mandarin. As a side note, my son will eventually go there (he is only 7 months old) because of the Chinese. I will keep him on the up and up with English when he comes home from school.

Going back to Montessori, in order to shake the "kids run this school" mentality, I taught them chess and got their cognitive thought process going again after going dormant for so long.

Kajonkietsuksa has an EP program and they are ok. About 50 foreign teachers. 45k per term x 2. Upto P5. Next year they go to P6 and then M1 after that.

Hi,

Could anyone give me upto date info, regarding the admittance of 2 children into the Phuket education system. We are planning to leave the UK in February 2007 and commence school after Easter. The British International School would have been ideal, however, we believe it to be far too expensive, therefore, we are at a loose end. The American School hasn`t come back to us yet.

I was interested to read about the Montessori School. What age do they accept children upto?

Regards,

Melanie Tennant

The name of the American school is QSI International School ofr Phuket. I, the director, can be contacted at [email protected] or by phone at 66 76 354 067

I've been serching for details of Phuket schools

Check out Horizon and Greenhouse on Google. Located near the British International School (formerly Dulwich).

Fees for Horizon are B68,000 per term.

The above is not a recommendation, just information.

If you can possibly afford it, send them to BIS. It's a world apart from the others.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Regards,

Melanie Tennant

The name of the American school is QSI International School ofr Phuket. I, the director, can be contacted at [email protected] or by phone at 66 76 354 067

our children went to greenhouse/ horizon nearly 1 year. But the level is very low, and the price very high. So we moved our children to kajonkietsuksa. They do a very good job there.

jackfruit

Thank you for your message. You mention The Kajonkietsuksa School, bearing in mind, neither of my daughters speak Thai at the moment, would this school be suitable.

To be honest, I am tearing my hair out, as the schooling is the biggest problem we are facing regards our move the Thailand. The cost of education seems to be very high, on a par with the UK

Both daughters are in state schools here and are doing very well. Would think paying for education would be straightforward, but obviously NOT!!

Regards,

Melanie

Hi Melanie.

I tutor many Kajonkiet kids, both Thais and mostlly Koreans. What ages are your kids?

The school is ok. It is not God's gift to children, but it will do, bearing in mind where you are.

The pros are: air conditioned rooms, foreign teachers with Thai co-teachers, English, Math, Science and extracurricular activities are all in English. History, local language are all in Thai. (Many kids who do not speak Thai are there, so no problem). My students' English is ok and workable. Your advantage is you will speak it at home, so no problems. Clean school. About 45,000 Baht per term (2 terms per year). No Yobs here :o . Bullying is at a minimum. Your kids will learn Thai, most definitively.

The cons: They change teachers like we change our underwear. Very bad reputation locally among the teaching populace. They treat them like shit. Administrators are all about money money money. The Thai teachers are treated like shit. They have to be at school by about 7 am and leave 6-7:30 and are the cleaners of the school. So they are not good Thai teachers due to exhaustion and their 6000 Baht salary per month. The foreign teachers are good and come with strawberry dreams but are soon woken up to the reality of the situation. They do not like the school books but work with it and are creative with their assignments. Greasy food and a lot of ice cream sold there. No dietary worries from the admin.

Feel free to pm me with any questions and keep in touch. I can help you when you arrive with any other issues.

Thank you for your message. You mention The Kajonkietsuksa School, bearing in mind, neither of my daughters speak Thai at the moment, would this school be suitable.

To be honest, I am tearing my hair out, as the schooling is the biggest problem we are facing regards our move the Thailand. The cost of education seems to be very high, on a par with the UK

Both daughters are in state schools here and are doing very well. Would think paying for education would be straightforward, but obviously NOT!!

Regards,

Melanie

• 10 months later...

Hi,

we are very pleased so far with the Montessori school in Rawai. It does have an international license, not bilingual--they helped us with the visa for my son and myself. My son has about 25 children in his class I think with the main teacher from South Africa, one Thai teacher, and one American assistant teacher also. They have small classes and teachers who are actually teachers, not backpackers. We did visit the Kajonkiet school, but we thought it was a little to much like factory.

good luck!

Ana Tiainen

Hi,

we are very pleased so far with the Montessori school in Rawai. It does have an international license, not bilingual--they helped us with the visa for my son and myself. My son has about 25 children in his class I think with the main teacher from South Africa, one Thai teacher, and one American assistant teacher also. They have small classes and teachers who are actually teachers, not backpackers. We did visit the Kajonkiet school, but we thought it was a little to much like factory.

good luck!

Ana Tiainen

just because someone is a full time teacher does not mean that they will excel at their job education children

is 25 kids in a class deemed small???

I believe having 25 kids in a classroom with 3 teachers is great. My son is at the Montessori school and I am very pleased with it. He is 9 and we have just moved from America. He is being challenged and is learning far more social studies and science than he did in his old school. The teachers have all been there a minumum of three years. I would have to disagree with the comment that the children there have no critical thinking or reading skills and the person that believes "kids run the school" in a Montessori environment obviously knows very little about the Montessori philosophy.

Hi,

Regards,

Melanie Tennant

Hi,

Regards,

Melanie Tennant

I am the Director of QSI and can be reached at 076 453 077.

Alan

Hi,

Regards,

Melanie Tennant

Alan

Correction 076 354 077

Let´s see.

The issue with Montessori Phuket (wink wink). They have recently become certified by them. For the past 3 odd years they used the Montessori name but was not certified by them. And they changed ownership often.

The kids do run the place. Nothing to do with not knowing the montessori system. Rather, THIS PARTICULAR school is run by kids. I would also suggest that new parents verify how many native speakers (a big selling point for that school) are actually there. Count the philipinos and Indians working there.

No ac in the rooms. Mosquito infested. Kids come back with huge sores due to scratching those bites. Ever heard of dengue fever? Worth the 70k a term? Up2u.

I believe having 25 kids in a classroom with 3 teachers is great. My son is at the Montessori school and I am very pleased with it. He is 9 and we have just moved from America. He is being challenged and is learning far more social studies and science than he did in his old school. The teachers have all been there a minumum of three years. I would have to disagree with the comment that the children there have no critical thinking or reading skills and the person that believes "kids run the school" in a Montessori environment obviously knows very little about the Montessori philosophy.

Alan, that was sent a year ago. Slow responses does not bode well for QSI.

Hi,

Regards,

Melanie Tennant

Alan

Correction 076 354 077

I don't have any kids, but I know many expat families that heve been here 20 years plus.

If money is no problem, their kids get sent to British International School (formerly Dulwich).

If not quite so much money, or, seeking good value, then the kids get sent to QSI.

If money is an issue, then Dao Rung, or, Dara Samut.

No person that has lived here a long time ever sends their kids to Montessori. As someone has already said, the children run the school, no discipline and no critical thought.

I don't have any kids, but I know many expat families that heve been here 20 years plus.

If money is no problem, their kids get sent to British International School (formerly Dulwich).

If not quite so much money, or, seeking good value, then the kids get sent to QSI.

If money is an issue, then Dao Rung, or, Dara Samut.

No person that has lived here a long time ever sends their kids to Montessori. As someone has already said, the children run the school, no discipline and no critical thought.

Interesting thread this one, will have to keep an eye out for future posts on here. Im a little off yet until my kid goes to school (in fact its not been born yet) but I suppose theres no harm in planning ahead.

So in a nutshell.

Dulwich (or British Curriculum as I believe its now called) is the best but the most expensive, but teaches real Queens English.

QSI a bit cheaper but only 2nd level English taught by Yanks.

And then you have the even cheaper Mosquito infected Montessori.

Not sure which is worse, my kid speaking like a Yank or having dengue fever ! :o

I guess I better start saving up my hard earned cash now for Dulwich !

Not really. Remember when you were a kid and you had lots of homework? Not at British Intl.! It is like pulling teeth. NEVER and ZERO textbooks. Way overpriced.

Now if you don´t want your kids to speak like Bush, then QSI nor Montessori is out of the question. However, the lesser of all evils is Kajonkietsuksa. But at every parenting meeting you will meet your child´s new teacher. lol.

I have 20 years of teaching experience in Thailand. I would say BIS (Dulwich) is way overpriced. Also, it is simply untrue that the kids there come our with the "Queen's English". I tutored two or their star pupils before they were sent off to prep schools in Massachusetts, and even though they were at Dulwich from age four until well into their teens they both spoke with accents that were unmistakably American. Both of their parent, by the way, were Thai.

I know a good deal about Kajonkiet and am quite impressed with the set-up there overall, though past comments about high turnover among the foreign staff and overwork/underpay for the locals are absolutely spot on. It is probably the best option currently for parents who want to give their kids a bilingual education. Darasamut is the other option, and most parents who sent their kids there are pleased with it.

By the way, Dulwich is hopeless at teaching the kids Thai. Although they are two of the brightest kids I ever taught, the two children I referred to earlier speak Thai not much better than some foreigners.

Let´s see.

The issue with Montessori Phuket (wink wink). They have recently become certified by them. For the past 3 odd years they used the Montessori name but was not certified by them. And they changed ownership often.

The kids do run the place. Nothing to do with not knowing the montessori system. Rather, THIS PARTICULAR school is run by kids. I would also suggest that new parents verify how many native speakers (a big selling point for that school) are actually there. Count the philipinos and Indians working there.

No ac in the rooms. Mosquito infested. Kids come back with huge sores due to scratching those bites. Ever heard of dengue fever? Worth the 70k a term? Up2u.

Lord of the Flies

My grandson attends Darasamut, the english program, and when he visits us is certainly over and above children of the same age here in New Zealand. Unable to tell you the cost.

His teacher this year is American.

My 4 year old also goes to Darasamut and it seems to be good. My Thai wife calls his teacher once a week to see how he is doing and the teacher always answers the phone and is caring.

Darasamut has a mixed language program but since my son gets enough English in his home life, I stuffed him into the immersion and after about 4 months of rough times he is fine now - speaking Thai well enough to be accepted amongst his students and getting better by the day (I wish I could say the same for myself!).

Also, Darasamut is in the process of expanding (they're constructing a new complex next to the current one).

I am planning on staying in Thailand so I guess my desires for my kid's education might be different than others; I still don't understand this "International School" necessity and mentality.

Let´s see.

No ac in the rooms. Mosquito infested. Kids come back with huge sores due to scratching those bites. Ever heard of dengue fever? Worth the 70k a term? Up2u. " unquote

So, this person is saying that someone got dengue fever from going to the Montesorri school? Do you have proof?

Also, I for one consider no air-con to be a plus. I don't have air-con in my home and don't get sick. I believe air-con to be an unhealthy way to live.

The Montesorri school has a beautiful campus next to the beach in Rawai with nice breezes to keep it comfortable.

I like their system and philosophy and it's where my 2 year old will be going. (did you know that the 2 guys who started the company: "Google" are BOTH Montesorri alumni?)

They teach an open mind.

Instead of listening to the dengue fever fear-mongers, maybe you should go check it out for yourself.

Edited by fiddlehead

Well, you must be a montessori alumni, because you cannot read. Where do I mention that the kids got dengue fever? I mentioned that everyone should consider when the kids come home with mosquito bites. It is apparent that you have not sat in a classroom there and watched anything.

Some people.....

So, this person is saying that someone got dengue fever from going to the Montesorri school? Do you have proof?

Also, I for one consider no air-con to be a plus. I don't have air-con in my home and don't get sick. I believe air-con to be an unhealthy way to live.

The Montesorri school has a beautiful campus next to the beach in Rawai with nice breezes to keep it comfortable.

I like their system and philosophy and it's where my 2 year old will be going. (did you know that the 2 guys who started the company: "Google" are BOTH Montesorri alumni?)

They teach an open mind.

Instead of listening to the dengue fever fear-mongers, maybe you should go check it out for yourself.

Actually I have sat in a classroom there.

Like i said, i checked it out as i would like my son to be taught this way in this beautiful location.

I went to a classrom and was amazed to see all the kids working in small groups on different projects and helping each other.

It was a lot different from the 30 kids to a classroom with a teacher mumbling on about something or other that i remember.

Obviously you, Sontamnication, don't like Montesorri. Hey everyone's different. But spreading fear by insinuating that dengue fever around those kids is not only close minded, it's ..............well, i better remember my avatar and keep it positive so, never mind.

Try to open your mind folks. I don't care if you send your kids there or not. Less crowded campus for my son.

But don't be scared. It's far from a scary place.

And they chose to not have aircon because they believe it is a healthier and better learning environment. I agree!