Japan Ups Checks For Foreigners

By Chris Hogg

BBC News, Tokyo

_44249503_print_ap203.jpg

An immigration official fingerprints an arriving foreigner at Tokyo's Narita airport on 20 November 2007

The move affects all foreigners in Japan, whether tourist or resident

Japan has started to fingerprint and photograph all foreigners when they arrive in the country.

It is only the second country after the United States to check foreigners in this way.

But unlike the US, which only checks foreign visitors, Japan will require foreigners living in Japan to be checked each time they enter.

The Japanese government says it is an anti-terrorism measure but others say it is discrimination.

Any foreigner entering Japan will now be fingerprinted and photographed.

The biometric data will be checked against lists of people who have been deported from the country in the past.

There will also be cross-checks with more than 800,000 pieces of information relating to suspects wanted by the Japanese authorities and the international police organisation Interpol.

Terror target

Japan says the new move is an anti-terrorist measure that will also cut crime.

Human rights organisations say it violates foreigners' rights to privacy and could encourage xenophobia.

They complain it implies that foreigners are most likely to commit acts of terrorism or commit crimes on Japanese soil.

So far there has been no terrorism in Japan committed by foreigners.

Incidents like the sarin gas attacks on commuters on the Tokyo subway were carried out by other Japanese.

There are also concerns that the information gathered will be shared with immigration authorities in other countries.

Foreigners who have visas which allow them to live in Japan, meanwhile, are angry that they will now be treated the same as visitors and subjected to longer waits when they re-enter the country.

Japan insists, though, that the measures are needed to help keep terrorists out.

Tokyo's staunch support of the US-led invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq have raised concerns that Japan could be a terror target.

To be brutually honest, I'm sick of Japan and it's fuc**** blatantly obvious xenophobia :o .

On one hand, they have the audacity to say that the issue of aging population has become rather serious.

On the other hand, they're photographing and thumb printing every single foreigner entering their country.

Whats saddening is a good percentage of foreign nationals residing in Japan are legally working and have been so for a significant period of time.

What impression does this give to skilled immigrants seeking to find work there?

Let's be honest, Japan really does need them right now if they intend to do nothing about their birth rate.

I sincerely hope to God that Japan gets to pay dearly for yet another act of insensitive racial profiling.

Edited by varun

To be brutually honest, I'm sick of Japan and it's fuc**** blatantly obvious xenophobia :o .

Thank's for your honesty.

On one hand, they have the audacity to say that the issue of aging population has become rather serious.

Ahh the audacity of it all.

On the other hand, they're photographing and thumb printing every single foreigner entering their country.

Very simple and straight forward, the whole process takes around 20-30 seconds. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear.

Whats saddening is a good percentage of foreign nationals residing in Japan are legally working and have been so for a significant period of time.

Yes, Japan is very welcoming and tolerant of foreign nationals working and residing in Japan.

What impression does this give to skilled immigrants seeking to find work there?

That the Japanese government has an on-going policy to try and protect the people living in the country?

Let's be honest, Japan really does need them right now if they intend to do nothing about their birth rate.

I can only assume you got your words confused.

I sincerely hope to God that Japan gets to pay dearly for yet another act of insensitive racial profiling.

What are you whishing to god for, Enola Gay to be brought back in to service?

Thank's for your honesty.

Don't get me wrong, my ex was Japanese. I never explicitly said anything about the Japanese people.

Have travelled to Japan on previous occasions and absolutely loved the place.

To make myself clear this time, it's the 'institutionalized racism' of the government's immigration policy that bothers me.

I've found Japanese people on the other hand, to be extremely warm,hospitable albeit quite curious and very well-intentioned.

Ahh the audacity of it all.

Aah, the reality of it all.

By 2025, the ratio of workers to pensioners in Japan will be approx. 2.1:1 (if the birth rate stays at it's current trend).

Very simple and straight forward, the whole process takes around 20-30 seconds. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear.

I'm sorry to say, but that's bullcrap.

It's not about the 20-30 seconds, it's about archiving,profiling and photographing every single foreigner.

Even those that have already been authorized to work in the country and have been residents for extended periods of time.

If that does not imply xenophobia, then I don't know what does.

Yes, Japan is very welcoming and tolerant of foreign nationals working and residing in Japan.

You can't be serious, can you?

That the Japanese government has an on-going policy to try and protect the people living in the country?

I can only assume you got your words confused.

You assumed wrong.

I think before I write.

If you think that with it's current birth-rate, Japan can support it's elderly and maintain it's GDP without the influx of skilled immigrants in the next 25 years, think again.

What are you whishing to god for, Enola Gay to be brought back in to service?

hello

ha! ha! ha! the jpn gov . has made a huge mistake, a huge waste of public funds,loss of face, etc, something they hate most of all

and its upset the very people it should be protecting the rights of.

The silly arguement of- if you,ve nothing to hide why worry, how far will that go

we,re talkiong about japan here, it may be rich but its human rights hav,nt progressed at all since WW 2. They are still well in the dark ages.

first of- its quite easy, and legal to alter/ change one prints. I know a man who has done it. its one of those secrets goverments do not wish us to know because it negates all their propaganda.

Go any serach engine- go somewhere like turkey, mexico, etc.

also check out www.justicefornickbaker.org look for a recent post by a man called blacksheep who tells about this. I,ve been in contact with him. He wanders in and out of japan despite being an ex con.

The jpn gov. tried, and failed to take down his posts- why? because they do not wish to admit their huge error...and loss of face

I think most of you are totally lost why Japan is doing this.   It's not because of xenophobia or racism.  Japan is passing this fingerprint data to the US, so the US can build massive databases on the world's people.  It's all part of Bush's plan.  If Bush had it his way, the EU would be doing the same, but the EU was very stubborn.   US has been asking for 80 pieces of data on every plane passenger for years from Japan and the EU. Japan is under intense pressure from Washington, but still tries to protect its own citizens, but if you aren't a citizen, then you outta luck.   Yes Japanese society and public opinion is xenophobic, but like everywhere else its manipulated. And when it comes to a dirt poor corrupt nation like Cambodia, how can they oppose the US? Who do u think paid for those webcams at Cambodian immigration to take your face pictures, when they already have your photos? Malaysia only requires photos. Who do you think gets a copy of the data?

Edited by exexpat

Gee, maybe the reason Japan started this program could be because they were hoping for the results they got on the first day.

TH

Japan detains 5 with new fingerprint entry checks

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:54 AM GMT

Email This Article | Print This Article | RSS [-] Text [+] TOKYO (Reuters) - Fingerprint checks on foreigners arriving in Japan matched five people to an immigration blacklist on the first day, the Justice Ministry said on Wednesday.

Biometric scanning of almost all foreigners entering Japan was introduced on Tuesday, sparking anger among long-term residents, businesspeople and human rights campaigners.

The five individuals' fingerprints came up on a list containing around 800,000 names including Interpol suspects and people deported from Japan in the past, the ministry said.

It refused to give any details of the five people or say which countries they came from.

One of the five is set to be deported and the others are still under investigation, a ministry official said.

The new procedure, which involves electronic scanning of both index fingers as well as taking a digital photo of the face, ran into minor problems due to computer glitches and people with dry fingertips.

Domestic media reported as an immigration official in Fukuoka, southern Japan, as saying it was hard to check some older people because their fingerprints have worn smooth.

The new checks had little effect on waiting times at Narita airport, the main international airport serving Tokyo, an immigration official said.

Introduced as an anti-terrorism measure, the system has been criticised for linking foreigners with crime. Opponents demonstrated outside the Justice Ministry on Tuesday.

"We will continue working to increase the understanding that scanning fingerprints is the most reliable method in current technology of checking the identity of individuals," a ministry official said.

More than 6.7 million foreign visitors entered Japan last year, while around 171,000 foreigners overstayed their visas, government statistics show.

Gee, maybe the reason Japan started this program could be because they were hoping for the results they got on the first day.

TH

what results d,you mean? 5 people.... FIVE PEOPLE, wow! Come on,,, get real, how many have now altered/changed and slipped, we wont hear about them.

the lowest from of crooks is really gonna make a difference I can see that.

Real progress there.How about all those which will now, because of japans measures change/alter ones their prints- completely nullifying almost all ways to keep track of them.

let me say- this will stop nothing, maybe a few lower end crooks, but not at all the more educated ones.Its a huge waste of money, times, loss of face and will indrectly impede the abilty to keep tabs on criminals.

Email This Article | Print This Article | RSS [-] Text [+] TOKYO (Reuters) - Fingerprint checks on foreigners arriving in Japan matched five people to an immigration blacklist on the first day, the Justice Ministry said on Wednesday.

Biometric scanning of almost all foreigners entering Japan was introduced on Tuesday, sparking anger among long-term residents, businesspeople and human rights campaigners.

The five individuals' fingerprints came up on a list containing around 800,000 names including Interpol suspects and people deported from Japan in the past, the ministry said.

It refused to give any details of the five people or say which countries they came from.

One of the five is set to be deported and the others are still under investigation, a ministry official said.

The new procedure, which involves electronic scanning of both index fingers as well as taking a digital photo of the face, ran into minor problems due to computer glitches and people with dry fingertips.

Domestic media reported as an immigration official in Fukuoka, southern Japan, as saying it was hard to check some older people because their fingerprints have worn smooth.

The new checks had little effect on waiting times at Narita airport, the main international airport serving Tokyo, an immigration official said.

Introduced as an anti-terrorism measure, the system has been criticised for linking foreigners with crime. Opponents demonstrated outside the Justice Ministry on Tuesday.

"We will continue working to increase the understanding that scanning fingerprints is the most reliable method in current technology of checking the identity of individuals," a ministry official said.

More than 6.7 million foreign visitors entered Japan last year, while around 171,000 foreigners overstayed their visas, government statistics show.

TH

what results d,you mean? 5 people.... FIVE PEOPLE, wow! Come on,,, get real, how many have now altered/changed and slipped, we wont hear about them.

the lowest from of crooks is really gonna make a difference I can see that.

Real progress there.How about all those which will now, because of japans measures change/alter ones their prints- completely nullifying almost all ways to keep track of them.

let me say- this will stop nothing, maybe a few lower end crooks, but not at all the more educated ones.Its a huge waste of money, times, loss of face and will indrectly impede the abilty to keep tabs on criminals.

"We will continue working to increase the understanding that scanning fingerprints is the most reliable method in current technology of checking the identity of individuals,"

a ministry official said.

BS- the most reliable is so flawed- alter them for less than $10, change ,em for quite a bit more. If thats the best law enforment can do the crooks are,nt exactly shaking in thir boots

I think most of you are totally lost why Japan is doing this.   It's not because of xenophobia or racism.  Japan is passing this fingerprint data to the US, so the US can build massive databases on the world's people.  It's all part of Bush's plan.  If Bush had it his way, the EU would be doing the same, but the EU was very stubborn.   US has been asking for 80 pieces of data on every plane passenger for years from Japan and the EU. Japan is under intense pressure from Washington, but still tries to protect its own citizens, but if you aren't a citizen, then you outta luck.   Yes Japanese society and public opinion is xenophobic, but like everywhere else its manipulated. And when it comes to a dirt poor corrupt nation like Cambodia, how can they oppose the US? Who do u think paid for those webcams at Cambodian immigration to take your face pictures, when they already have your photos? Malaysia only requires photos. Who do you think gets a copy of the data?

Reply...Febuary 2008 is the deadline for all new Australian passports to have fingerprints placed in them courtesy of the United States. When you think about it, I can see why people from former Communist block countries are starting to see a similarity in the West with their old regimes. Maybe this is what the ruling oligarchy (mafia) in Western countries wanted all along, but now that the opposition has disappeared, it is "we can do what we like now". Sometimes the peace is worse than the war. Makes you :o