Internet Marriage Scams Again

Brits may remember Lake Palmer on the Louis Thereux programe on Bangkok Marriage bureaux .....some years ago . when he made a bad choice and got refused a visa from the Uk embassy , in Wireless road ...

REAL-LIFE VICTIMS OF MARRIAGE SCAM: THAI BRIDES LEFT US BROKE

Lovelorn Brits reveal the true heartache behind top soap storyline

LAKE'S STORY

People will think I'm a silly old man but I was lonely

LAKE PALMER can hardly bear to watch Fred and Orchid.

The 60-year-old admits he was taken for a fool by an Asian beauty he married only three days after they met.

She strung him along for eight months before dumping him for another rich European man, leaving him £12,000 in debt.

Now Lake spends his days in bed, suffering from depression.

A former Army captain who served in the Borders, he watches Coronation Street with a growing sense of fear and dread for a character he has come to empathise with.

'The plotline has brought it all back to me,' he said.

'I don't know if they will manage to fool poor old Fred but it certainly looks like it.

'I want to shout at the TV and tell him to use his head not his heart.

'I know he's only a soap character but what's happening to him just now is really affecting me.'

Lake married Panom Yeesoon nicknamed Jad in a Buddhist ceremony in Thailand four years ago.

He was convinced he had found a woman who would love and care for him for the rest of his life.

When he returned home, he bombarded her with gifts, money and love letters. But eight months later, after failing to get a visa to come to Britain, she dumped him for someone else.

Lake said: 'I know people will say I'm a silly old man but I am very lonely. Growing old on your own is frightening.

'I was just looking for someone who would give me companionship in my twilight years a bit like Fred.'

A former offshore gas rig worker, Lake was forced to retire in 2000 due to ill health. He had been married twice before but neither relationship had lasted more than five years.

He decided to seek a Thai bride through an introduction agency. It cost him £1385 and a further £800 to get to Bangkok, where he met Jad. She was 45 but looked much younger.

'She had a regal quality,' he said. 'She was slim and very well-dressed. I was swept off my feet.'

On their second day together, he proposed. They married the following day in a hastily-arranged Buddhist ceremony. Luckily for him, Lake had forgotten his decree absolute and couldn't get the paperwork together for a legally-binding ceremony. So, what he went through was only a blessing.

He slept with Jad on their wedding night and spent five more romantic days with her, before taking his pre-booked flight home.

She pledged to follow him as soon as her visa came through. It was August 2000 and Lake thought they'd be together by Christmas.

From his home in Great Yarmouth, he ran up a telephone bill of £1800 and sent her £1500 and lavish gifts.

But she was refused a visa. It turned out she was still legally married to another Englishman.

Ever hopeful, Lake continued to correspond and send money until April 2001, when she told him in a telephone call she had met a Belgian man and didn't want to know him any more.

He said: 'I cried for six weeks and I've lost all my confidence. I only have my Army pension to live on. I think that's why she didn't want me.

'I've had a nervous breakdown and I'm still desperately lonely.'

MALCOLM'S STORY

I can't believe I'm so gullible..I'm left with £50,000debt

MALCOLM WILES spent more than £50,000 and is still fighting to get a divorce from the woman he thought was the answer to his prayers. After meeting and marrying 34year-old Supannee Saisa in Thailand, in September 2001, she bombarded him with love letters, promising they would grow old together in a little cottage in Scotland.

Malcolm said: 'She was obsessed with Scotland and thought it a very romantic place to be. I was completely taken in an old fool.'

Malcolm, 56, who runs a taxi business, spent £1000 on diamonds for his new love and bought a fax machine so they could stay in touch while he was in Britain.

He paid off her £17,000 mortgage and splashed out on a honeymoon in Phuket. When her visa was refused, he sent Supannee £100-a-week living expenses.

But she often asked for more and Malcolm ended up sending £10,000 for courses in beauty therapy which she claimed would help set up her own business in the UK.

He spent £5000 on a 12-month legal battle to get her a visa. During this time she sent him a total of 570 faxes declaring her love.

In the first, she said: 'My Dear Husband. How are you? I so worry about you. I wish to give you oil massages, but I can't now.

'Please don't be angry to anybody about my visa. I hope soon I'll get it. When I be there, I'll work very hard. One day we'll go to Scotland with children. This is my dream country.'

In another, she claimed that she would rather die than be without Malcolm.

It read: 'I would like you to know if I can die I'll die for you in front of the embassy. And they will know how much I love you.'

But when Supannee finally flew over in October 2002, she was uncommunicative.

She locked herself in the spare room most evenings and spent her days in an internet cafe. In desperation, Malcolm, who now lives in Colchester, Essex, bought her a car and took her on shopping trips to London. But a month later she flew back to Thailand, claiming her father was sick. She refused to take Malcolm's calls and never returned.

He logged in to Supannee's email account where he discovered messages from men all over the world. Some were putting money into her account to pay for 'beauty courses'.

'I can't believe I was so gullible,' Malcolm said. 'I'm more than £50,000 in debt and struggling to get a divorce.

'My friends have been telling me about the Thai storyline in Coronation Street. I just hope this poor Fred character gets a happier ending to his tale than I have.'

LONELY Corrie butcher Fred Elliott believes he has found true love with stunning mail order bride Orchid.

What Fred (John Savident) does not know is that he is being set up by pal Dennis. Orchid (Casey-Lee Jolleys) is from Salford and has pulled this scam before.

But Oriental brides do not only cause heartbreak in soapland they have left countless lovelorn British men devastated and penniless.

The Sunday Mail tracked down two Brits Lake Palmer, 60, and Malcolm Wiles, 56. Today they open their hearts to Chief Writer Donna White on how their quest for love destroyed their lives.

Lake reveals how he was left £12,000 in debt after just five days with his bride.

And Malcolm told how he is £50,000 out of pocket after marrying a Thai bride who returned to her homeland and won't speak to him.

Criminologist Christopher Berry-Dee spent months investigating internet marriage scams. He said: 'The stories are identical in every respect.'

Lake Palmer?

I was in the the U.K. when that was screened I saw the programme and he was turned down by a couple of Thai ladies and I'm not surprised, the mans a nutter.

What you should be doing is having a look at the web site that introduced him to the potential wives.

When you have finished reading that why not have a look at the one where

" Lawrence" met his missus?

Mr. Charles Black you have to see these to believe it. I have seen this gentleman on daytime TV ( please believe me I was in someones house at the time ) and his wife won't let him do a thing, lugs all the shopping home, waits on him hand and foot.

Yeah course she does.

As the saying goes any publicity is good publicity.

Lake Palmer? A clapped out night club "entertainer" that's what he supposed to be.

I wonder what happened to his partner Emmerson?

Thing about this is not everyone gets onto, or wants to get onto progs like Louis Theroux...wonder how many people do get caught. a while ago in the course of work I came across statistics for funds transmitted via Moneygram from the UK, I was surprised to see Thailand way up there as a recieving country, far more transmissions than could be expected given all the variables (Thais living in UK etc,holidaymakers running out of funds and several other factors). There was a very large "unquantifiable" factor. The other place that showed a similar disparity was Romania. Also well known for the fake bride scam.

Bet there are some classic stings going on....not everyone wants to shout from the rooftops how much they have been taken for...

Criminologist Christopher Berry-Dee spent months investigating internet marriage scams. He said: 'The stories are identical in every respect.'

A criminologist?

Why what crime has been commited?

A fringe academic in wank mode writing tripe Maerim. :o

Also well known for the fake bride scam.

These are not fake brides expensive yes but not fake, sorry.

The average man comes here on holiday for a fortnight or so unless he is very fortunate the only women he is going to meet are prostitutes so his alternative is an agency.

They cost about £2,000 plus with fees hotel.airfares etc. Now it's all well and good to be smug because we live here and say he should look around,where's he going to look?

The downside to these agencies are that the poor chap who is handing his hard earned cash to are to say the least questionable.

A fringe academic in wank mode writing tripe Maerim.
It may well be but I do know one thing, it beats the crap out of working for a living.

Along with debt and grief councillors.

The stories are identical in every respect.

This is the result of months of work, seven words.

Where do I apply for this job?

A fringe academic in wank mode writing tripe Maerim.

It may well be but I do know one thing, it beats the crap out of working for a living.

Along with debt and grief councillors.

And if said Counsellors weren't paid by the state to aid those unfortunates, they'd be out of work in days. Two more ' professions ' surplus to requirements.

I have heard of a terrible scam being run by a bloke who is married to a cousin of my wife.

He negotiates to place the details of the woman onto his dating/marriage agency for free on the basis that she gives him half of the dowry that is placed by the foreigner to get married.

He seems quite oblivious to the morality of the issue, however, in some strange way I wish he would get himself knee capped for encouraging the bride to squeeze as much as she possibly can out of the ignornant falang.

Be warned!!!!!

Yeah this is disgraceful and puts a bad taste in your mouth. But whenu put the shoe on the other foot it may be different..........for example I know a Thai woman in Sydney who met and married legitimately, and Aussie man who had divorced many years earlier. The Thai woman worked with her new husband in the business for years....like 15 years......and then they retired. Not long after, the man died and left everything to the Thai woman.

Then of course as can happen, the mans long lost family who disowned him for marrying a Thai woman, came out of the woodwork and contested the will !!

Lawyers for his previous family were at work making the court case extend to more than 5 years.........so the Thai woman was forced to rent a small apartment with no income so she was in dire straits for 5 years........she had to take in ironing and do cleaning jobs to make ends meet. This was a disgusting case of discrimination against her by the family and also by the legal system becasue everyone viewd her as one of "those Thai brides" !!!!!!

Yeah this is disgraceful and puts a bad taste in your mouth. But whenu put the shoe on the other foot it may be different..........for example I know a Thai woman in Sydney who met and married legitimately, and Aussie man who had divorced many years earlier. The Thai woman worked with her new husband in the business for years....like 15 years......and then they retired. Not long after, the man died and left everything to the Thai woman.

Then of course as can happen, the mans long lost family who disowned him for marrying a Thai woman, came out of the woodwork and contested the will !!

Lawyers for his previous family were at work making the court case extend to more than 5 years.........so the Thai woman was forced to rent a small apartment with no income so she was in dire straits for 5 years........she had to take in ironing and do cleaning jobs to make ends meet. This was a disgusting case of discrimination against her by the family and also by the legal system becasue everyone viewd her as one of "those Thai brides" !!!!!!

At last a story with a happy ending, now she knows what it's like to be on the recieving end same as some of her country women put their Farang husbands on the recieving end.

As an afterthought I hope her roof leaks

O.K. Ned why don't you nip round with your ladder and hammer and give her some help?

She may not be able to give you any cash but a bit of payment in kind instead eh, nudge nudge.

You didn't mention any help you gave this poor unfortunate lady, you prick.

Maerim youreally should talk about your obvious problems with a professional person. Your hatred of your mother is understandable but no need to take it out on poor helpless others. Especially whenyou have no idea of what you are talking about you <deleted>.

Ned

Do tell us about this "poor" Thai woman living in poverty ( is that suberb of Sydney?).

You seem to "know" her so well, in the 5 years she was living this way where you ?

Doing a bit of home help? Nudge nudge. Checking the waterworks, did you have go "deep" ?

The same as all immigrants they will do anything for their home country except one thing.

Go home.

Still the best ending to a Thai woman's gravy train I have heard yet.

Thanks Ned

By the way your film appearances seem to be a thin on the ground lately.

As the tin man in the Wizard of Oz I thought you were great, a bit poncy but what do you expect from an Australian.

As to the armour I would suggest a new approach to weapon development.

Wearing a dustbin and a watering can with a couple of holes cut out so you can see might be ( if I may be so bold) to say is a bit outdated not to say hilarious on the other hand the cops would probably miss through laughing that much..

Give my regards to your mum.

Maerim, before posting on the board next time , could you please improve your grammar and spelling, as half of what you've written is illegible, and the other half is boring dribble.

Ned

Do tell us about this "poor" Thai woman living in poverty ( is that suberb of Sydney?).

You seem to "know" her so well, in the 5 years she was living this way where you ?

Doing a bit of home help? Nudge nudge. Checking the waterworks, did you have go "deep" ?

The same as all immigrants they will do anything for their home country except one thing.

Go home.

Still the best ending to a Thai woman's gravy train I have heard yet.

Thanks Ned

By the way your film appearances seem to be a thin on the ground lately.

As the tin man in the Wizard of Oz I thought you were great, a bit poncy but what do you expect from an Australian.

As to the armour I would suggest a new approach to weapon development.

Wearing a dustbin and a watering can with a couple of holes cut out so you can see might be ( if I may be so bold) to say is a bit outdated not to say hilarious on the other hand the cops would probably miss through laughing that much..

Give my regards to your mum.

Maerim, before posting on the board next time , could you please improve your grammar and spelling, as half of what you've written is illegible, and the other half is boring dribble

Persenaly i think that you should not deride maerim in that way, for sure his or hers views are very angry and cynical, but as to how they are spelled or writen if you can understand what he's saying why bother.

I'm dislxlic(dont know if thats spelled right) tryied looking up in dictanary. butyou've got to be able to spell it first.

Lets keep to the theme rather than trying to take cheap shots.

And fair play Marrim"s views are Sh-t why bother about the spelling.

Aren't all marriages between different social levels a scam of some sorts?

No, surely not,

this is a question of the character of the woman, and not of her social level.

Some are honest, and some are not.....

There is a considerable amount of women, who are claiming how helpless and poor they are - and it seems this justifies their criminal actions to cheat single men and extorting money from them by offering promises which are nothing but lies.

Needless to say, that such women are even supported by feminists and weak men, who are considering EVERY woman to be a victim.

I have some understandings for such a cheated man, who in blind love lost everything he owns and finally, who gets angry and totally out of his mind and beats up such a garbage-girl green and blue for a stay in a hospital.

The best advice for a man to be on the safe side, is to be an a**hole towards any woman, and do his best to be a Cheap Charlie and not a gentleman.

Should be a divorce necessary, he should not own anything and to be jobless, because if he owns nothing, then nothing can be taken away from him.

If a woman is a honest woman, regardless if she is rich or poor, she will not even think about a moment, to extort unreasonable amounts of money from a man.

Johann

Well well........maerim and his bum buddy wowee or whatever it calls itself are real intellectual giants.

Why dont you post something thats actually worth reading instead of being biggoted pricks. But that would expose both of you for what you really are. Just a couple of <deleted> with shit for brains. Go back to the hole you crawled out of wherver that is.