Bombs At Big C, Lotus Superstore

george

Hat Yai rocked with explosions, at least seven killed

HAT YAI: -- Four coordinate bomb attacks were launched in this tourist southern town Sunday night, killing at least seven people.

The first explosion happened in front of the Thongsia Siang Tueng Foundation at about 9 pm, police said. Seven people were killed at the spot.

Then two other explosions occurred at Big C Department Store and a pub on Burapha Withi Road.

Shortly afterwards, another explosion occurred at Lotus Superstore and Lee Garden Hotel.

-- The Nation 2007-05-27

Hat Yai rocked with explosions, at least seven killed

HAT YAI: -- Four coordinate bomb attacks were launched in this tourist southern town Sunday night, killing at least seven people.

The first explosion happened in front of the Thongsia Siang Tueng Foundation at about 9 pm, police said. Seven people were killed at the spot.

Then two other explosions occurred at Big C Department Store and a pub on Burapha Withi Road.

Shortly afterwards, another explosion occurred at Lotus Superstore and Lee Garden Hotel.

-- The Nation 2007-05-27

The headline says seven killed...the story says that seven people are severly INJURED :o !!!

Updated version, headline changed:

3 explosions rock Hat Yai, at least seven injured

Hat Yai, Songkhla - Three coordinate bomb attacks were launched in this bustling tourist southern town Sunday night, severely injuring at least seven people.

The first explosion happened in front of the Siang Tueng Foundation on Supasarn Sungsang Road at about 9 pm, Songkhla Police chief Pol Maj Gen Phaithoon Pattanasophon said.

Then two other explosions occurred in the toilet room of Nai Nang Restaurant on Thammanoon Withi Road and at a shrine in front of Big C Department Store shortly after the first explosion.

Phaithoon said six men and a woman were severely injured.

-- The Nation 2007-05-27

Update:

Six explosions rock Hat Yai, nine injured

Hat Yai, Songkhla - Six coordinated bomb attacks were launched in this bustling tourist southern town Sunday night, injuring nine people.

Police said most of the bombs were hidden in garbage bins and were detonated nearly at the same time. But one bomb was hurled into JB Hat Yai Hotel.

Police were still checking whether there were attempts to launch a few more bomb attacks in the town.

One of the nine victims, who is a woman, was severely injured.

The first explosion happened in front of the Siang Tueng Foundation on Supasarn Sungsang Road at about 9 pm, Songkhla Police chief Pol Maj Gen Phaithoon Pattanasophon said.

Then two other explosions occurred in the toilet room of Nai Nang Restaurant on Thammanoon Withi Road and at a shrine in front of Big C Department Store shortly after the first explosion.

Police have yet to identify the rest of the locations.

Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, army chief and chairman of the Council for National Security, came out to downplay the attacks immediately.

He said he had ordered security agencies concerned, including the Internal Security Operations Command, to control the situation.

He said the bombs were only small ones and did not cause much damage.

"They were only small bombs in milk cans and were aimed to cause little damages," Sonthi said.

"Nothing to worry. Officials are in control now. They are analysing information."

-- The Nation 2007-05-27

doubt that this will stay under the radar of TGWOT for much longer ,

I expect increased American interest in the region .

I don't see why we would get involved .... but with our foriegn policy actions ... who knows!

I don't see why we would get involved .... but with our foriegn policy actions ... who knows!

A verifiable sniff of JI or worse AQ is all that's required ................

No oil, no involvement.

Very sad news indeed but unfortunately not surprising. Hat Yai did not have terrorist attacks for about two years I believe.

Several things are quite obvious.

1. Terrorists show that can strike any time, any place in Thailand.

2. Sonthi downplays attacks instead of taking measures to prevent them. Now when he got billion dollars more in his military budget.

3. Sad to see Anti-american comments again. Do not you understand, guys, that it is sick to blame Americans for everything. If I were you, I would report your concerns to your private psychiatrists.

4. Americans did help to the government of khun Thaksin in anti-terror activities. Do not expect any help to the junta with its clear and ugly anti-american stance.

Edited by mumbu

:o

I have said this before, I'll try to say it once again.

The situation in that area is complex, and the players are changing.

The old line traditional seperatist leaders are trying to keep the bombs/etc. in the southern area.

There is a new younger much more radical element who want a more radical islamic agenda.

They are inspired by the militants in Indonesia (as in Bali bombing).

Right now there is a struggle between the old line and the new radicals.

In the future, if the radicals win out, the seperatist bombings could move out of the south into tourist areas, and specifically target foriegners in Thailand.

At the present, bombings in the south, however bad, probably mean the older leadership still has the upper hand.

:D

My sympathies to all those who were affected by this. It is tragic.

As much as I like to have a go at the gov't, I have a hard time when it comes to things like this. Nobody, anywhere seems to have much luck in stopping these kinds of attacks. The perpetrators are good at making gov'ts looks completely incompetent though.

My sympathies to all those who were affected by this. It is tragic.

As much as I like to have a go at the gov't, I have a hard time when it comes to things like this. Nobody, anywhere seems to have much luck in stopping these kinds of attacks. The perpetrators are good at making gov'ts looks completely incompetent though.

I am sorry but what you are saying is simply not true. While, of course, it is impossible to prevent every attack, it does not mean that the government should not try. It is impossible to deny that after the coup the attacks intensified both in scope and cruelty. It is impossible to deny that it coincided with the government change of tactics in the South. There are places in the world where governments succeeded if not eliminating terrorism completely but at least curbing it drastically (e.g. Chechnya in Russia). It is very well known what measures should be taken (I talked about this many times on this forum and do not want to repeat myself). The problem is that all these important issues are not in the centre of junta's agenda which mostly concerned about grabbing as much power as it can.

Edited by mumbu

No oil, no involvement.

By the way, not true. There is some offshore oil in deep South. Not Saudi Arabia, but nevertheless...

Edited by mumbu

Just show you to keep away from all Supermarket and turist places in the south,

Maybe the American should not show up in this aria, why get involved in one more problem aria, they have allready put their nose into TO MUCH.

Very sad news indeed but unfortunately not surprising. Hat Yai did not have terrorist attacks for about two years I believe.

Several things are quite obvious.

1. Terrorists show that can strike any time, any place in Thailand.

2. Sonthi downplays attacks instead of taking measures to prevent them. Now when he got billion dollars more in his military budget.

3. Sad to see Anti-american comments again. Do not you understand, guys, that it is sick to blame Americans for everything. If I were you, I would report your concerns to your private psychiatrists.

4. Americans did help to the government of khun Thaksin in anti-terror activities. Do not expect any help to the junta with its clear and ugly anti-american stance.

Mumbu said:

Well said!

It makes me wonder if S.E. Asia hasn't become a haven for psychotic Europeans; and far too many postings on this board reflect that. Those with the power to do so don't intervene, which amounts to tacit approval.

Edited by meibanfa

13 injured, one is in serious condition according to a Thai press report.

By the way, mumbu, Israeli's are known to know best how to deal with terrorists, yet they can't stop the attacks or "curbed them drastically."

It is very well known what measures should be taken (I talked about this many times on this forum and do not want to repeat myself).

If you reckon that you know how to handle this problem properly (unlike the Thai gov't.), why aren't you in Iraq right now helping out your country? I think they need a bit of help over there.

CNS to discuss Hat Yai bombings Monday afternoon

The Council for National Security will discuss the seven bomb explosions in tourist town of Hat Yai Monday afternoon, CNS deputy chairman ACM Chalit Pukphasuk said.

Source: The Nation - 28 May 2007

Mumbu said:

Well said!

It makes me wonder if S.E. Asia hasn't become a haven for psychotic Europeans; and far too many postings on this board reflect that. Those with the power to do so don't intervene, which amounts to tacit approval.

Fortunately psychotic Americans are now congregating in Washington and in Iraq - little chance that the two meet and cause a riot. :o

s1_copy206.jpg

Motorcycles lie in bits and pieces outside the Thoengsia Siang Tueng Foundation as investigators sift through the damage. Most of last night’s victims were injured in this explosion. Police would not say how the bombs were made or detonated.

Source: The Nation - 28 May 2007

Mumbu said:

Well said!

Fortunately psychotic Americans are now congregating in Washington and in Iraq - little chance that the two meet and cause a riot. :o

Yes, and here is what they are currrently doing in Iraq today:

AP - 50 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - U.S. and Iraqi forces freed 42 kidnapped Iraqis — some of whom had been hung from ceilings and tortured for months — in a raid Sunday on an al-Qaida hideout north of Baghdad, the U.S. military said.

Of course since there is nothing like Pattaya there, why would all the critics want to be involved? Let someone else fight terrorism and then condem them for it. Do these condemnations erase some of your own guilt for your not being involved?

CNS Chairman follows up on last night's explosions in Hat Yai

The Council for National Security (CNS) Chairman Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkrin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) said that last night's explosions in Hat Yai (หาดใหญ่), Songkhla (สงขลา) Province, was meant to stir up chaos with no intent to kill people.

However, he declined to indicate on whether the situation is related to the violence in the three southernmost provinces or not.

This morning, Gen. Sonthi has followed up the progress of investigation in the last night’s bombings. Nevertheless, the purpose of the explosion has yet been unfolded.

Gen. Sonthi will chair a meeting with security-related agencies again this afternoon to voice concern over the explosions and the group's intent to create disunity amongst communities.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 May 2007

As this is a Thailand-related forum, please leave the US-Iraq discussion out of this thread.

yeah. I agree. quit bashing america. this is a thailand forum.

Edited by Jai Dee
Inappropriate comment deleted.