Laptop To Tv

jackspratt

I have an ASUS laptop with the following (amongst others) ports/outputs:

- S-video 7 pin (with a supplied short cable with male 7 pin S-video plug on one end. and what looks like a female RCA plug on the other end - the plastic part is light brown colour. Described in the User Manual as "TV-Out Port".

- DVI (Digital Video Interface) port. Described as "Display (DVI-D) Output.

- 15 pin D-sub monitor port. Described as "Display (Monitor) Output".

- SPDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) output jack/stereo headphone jack (1/8 inch) combo

TV is a new conventional Panasonic (ie non-digital) with only RCA input plugs (red, white, yellow) - 3 sets in, one set out (monitor).

Welcome any thoughts on the best way to connect the two together, so I can watch downloaded movies.

My initial thought was to use the S-video, if I could find a cable which would connect the brown RCA plug on the supplied cable to a 3 part RCA cable (red, white yellow), which would plug straight into the TV.

A couple of issues here though - where to find such a cable in Thailand, and reports I have read which suggest S-video gives the worst connection for this type of setup.

Thanks

jack

S-video to an 3 composite RCA (Red, white, yellow) doesn't exist and woun't do anything because S-video is Video only, not combined with sound.

It sounds like you have S-vid out and the cable that came supplied with your comp gives you 2 options

s-vid -> s-vid

and

s-vid -> composite Video (RCA yellow)

Based on the inputs you described on your TV you will use the latter to connect your computer to your TV for the video.

For audio you can use your laptop speakers :o

but it's better to get a mini-jack to RCA cable

it's available at almost any store (i got mine at lotus)

it's a standard headphone jack on one end and Left and Right (white & Red) RCA pins on the other end.

Plug it all into your TV and you're ready to rock

The Mini-jack to RCA is also useful for connecting your laptop to a stereo as a digital jukebox or for connecting an M3 player

Edited by ozymandious

The supplied short cable that you mentioned is the adapter to change your S-video output to composite (the RCA yellow plug). Since it's so short, you're going to need a standard rca cable to connect from the adapter to the TV. For audio, it's as ozymandious says.

The supplied short cable that you mentioned is the adapter to change your S-video output to composite (the RCA yellow plug). Since it's so short, you're going to need a standard rca cable to connect from the adapter to the TV. For audio, it's as ozymandious says.

Yes sorry i read over the female part and missed it. so all you need is a single yellow RCA cable male-male (any color really)

and the mini to RCA