Flat Rate From Taxi Dispatcher

billp

I just saw this on another forum:

This April, my wife arrived in BKK from SGN. She went to the taxi stand downstairs and received her chit, loaded the baggage, and drove off. She noted the meter was not on, pointed this out to the driver who told her to read the receipt. It said 400 baht flat fee. She paid the tolls and paid 400 baht to the Holiday Inn, Silom.
There've been quite a few reports of this here on TV, and on TT and elsewhere.

How often is it happening to people who post here? Do they just try to pull this on people who look like obvious newbies? :o

If it happens to you, insist on the meter, and threaten to call the tourist police. If you have a mobile/cell, the number is 1155.

Be aware that a taxi ride on the meter from the airport to just about anywhere in central Bangkok should be under 350 baht including tolls and airport surcharge, NOT 400-450 baht PLUS tolls.

The correct response to being asked a flat fee for anything in the same city/suburban area is simply to close the door/walk away- you'll eventually locate an honest driver if you look in the right places (especially if you follow the Thais and see which stand they use).

Flat fees are reasonable when you're negotiating to go by taxi to another city.

Seen it happen one time to a friend in early May. It seems to be something new with Suvarnabhumi.

My wife "interviewed" a taxi driver, he said some passengers (newcomers I assume) ask for it because they are afraid of being taken the long way around with the meter, and the taxis are happy to oblige because the fixed fare is higher than the meter fare.

But if the staff at the taxi queue start giving fixed fares receipts without asking the customer, that's over-doing the whole thing a bit.

I think that when you have just arrived in a strange place, having spent a long time flying then getting off the plane, through customs, immigration etc. you would offer your first born just to get into a taxi and reach your destination. Thailand can seem like a total nightmare for people who have never been here before.

It happened to my son 3 months ago, but then some posters here had and have their doubts on his and other second hand stories.

Mabe posting rules need to forbid posting second hand experiences, Then we do not need to worry :o

I took a taxi at Savanaboum June 7 and had no such experience, unless it happens to you it must be an urban myth... :D

IMHO, there is only one way to do flat rate with a taxi. Have a pretty good idea of what the fare should be. Discuss the amount up front. Pay up front. Get a receipt up front. If the driver won't play buy those rules, then you may well end up paying a little or a lot more than you should, and might be better off getting another car. (Flat rate will likely not include tolls.) I've personally not had an issue the few times the driver or I have requested flat rate.

The last time I took a taxi, I was offered either the meter or 400THB flat rate (which included the 50THB airport fee, and all tolls). Not knowing how far it was from the new airport to my condo, I opted for the meter. He drove directly to my condo, and it was 350THB (including the airport fee and tolls). The 50THB tip brought it to 400THB. For me, the final cost was a coin flip.

The last time I took a taxi, I was offered either the meter or 400THB flat rate (which included the 50THB airport fee, and all tolls). Not knowing how far it was from the new airport to my condo, I opted for the meter. He drove directly to my condo, and it was 350THB (including the airport fee and tolls). The 50THB tip brought it to 400THB. For me, the final cost was a coin flip.

I arrived today, the first time going to Bangkok from the new airport. I was going to the Royal Orchid Sheraton. The girl at the desk offered me no choices and wrote down 450 THB on the chit. I assumed this was the new airport rule...and after being without a hotel bed for over two days (too much time flying) I didn't ask the girl any questions...anyway the queue behind me was long. In the taxi I asked for the meter, and the driver said that that way could take me two to three hours...his way was the best way, all inclusive, blah, blah, blah. All the time he was talking he stopped his taxi just half-off the airport exit road. There wasn't a safe alternative to get out of the cab at this point.

I finally said ok to 450 THB

The ride was 35 mins!

I live in KL...I should know better!

No, I think you miss the point. The point is, the DISPATCHERS are colluding with the drivers to set this artificial flat rate of 450 baht to take advantage of newbies who don't know any better or people tired from a long flight who can't be bothered to resist. It seems like a small amount, 100 -150 baht extra on average, but think of how much that makes when you do it to 2000 or more people a day, 7 days a week. And I bet the drivers themselves don't see much of the take. Up to about March this year, this was one of the basically clean & transparent systems that you could recommend to a newbie who was afraid of getting ripped off. Obviously no more.

If an extra five bucks is going to ruin your Thailand holiday then don't come. No, this may not be ethical or fair, but aren't we making a big deal out of a relatively small thing here, or is this going to be one of those threads where people decry the principal of it over, and over, and over, and..........

No, I think you miss the point. The point is, the DISPATCHERS are colluding with the drivers to set this artificial flat rate of 450 baht to take advantage of newbies who don't know any better or people tired from a long flight who can't be bothered to resist. It seems like a small amount, 100 -150 baht extra on average, but think of how much that makes when you do it to 2000 or more people a day, 7 days a week. And I bet the drivers themselves don't see much of the take. Up to about March this year, this was one of the basically clean & transparent systems that you could recommend to a newbie who was afraid of getting ripped off. Obviously no more.

It still is ... I fly through at LEAST once a month and it has never been tried on me :o

i have been travelling in and out of Suva at least 1nce a week since it opened and never had this s**t pulled on me until last week when I asked to goto my destination in Ratchada and they told me 400 baht. I laughed at them and told them in thai that 'why you make falang pay more?' and I will prefer to use the meter. they laughed and said they were just kidding and I got my meter ride. but imagine everybody else who didnt question had to pay the fixed rate.

if a few of us complain, i am sure it will just be ignored, but if there is a constant stream of calls and visits to the airport authorities- it may be changed....

Good tactic, Shah.

As I've never had to pay the 50 baht extra fee for taking a taxi from the airport, how is this done? Do you pay that fee to the desk, or to the driver himself? And, if so, do you pay that fee up front to the driver, or when you get to your destination?

Good tactic, Shah.

As I've never had to pay the 50 baht extra fee for taking a taxi from the airport, how is this done? Do you pay that fee to the desk, or to the driver himself? And, if so, do you pay that fee up front to the driver, or when you get to your destination?

well i think we are talking about 2 different things - the 50 baht fee is more or less standard if you take a taxi from the stand and you pay to the driver on top of the meter fare at the end of the ride.

You can get around it by flagging a taxi on the departures level, but you have to be quick because the authorities will try to stop you

what we are discussing is the metered taxi stand trying to issue an overcharged flat rate to get into the city instead of letting the driver using the meter.

I suppose their logic is that the AOT Official Limo will change 800 baht flat rate, so why cant they charge a flat rate. they also probably rationalize that they are protecting the falang against dishonest taxi drivers by letting the falang know the rate up front

it was probably originally thought up as a damage control against drivers who wont use the meter or drive around in circles - and the prices they quote are only usually %30-40 more or so than the metered fare including tolls, so it seems a fair compromise

at least we should understand their mindset....

but I have already lodged a call with the airport authorities - I am sure they will ignore me, but if they keep getting calls, they will do something the number is 021321888

you need to make it clear that you are talking about the Meter Taxi stand on the 1st floor and that the people working at the desk were trying to overchange not the taxi driver..

Edited by Shah Jahan

Good tactic, Shah.

To the driver .. at the destination

Good tactic, Shah.

well i think we are talking about 2 different things - the 50 baht fee is more or less standard if you take a taxi from the stand and you pay to the driver on top of the meter fare at the end of the ride.

You can get around it by flagging a taxi on the departures level, but you have to be quick because the authorities will try to stop you

Ya, I know what the main topic is, just adding a question to the same general issue as I always have gotten a taxi at departures.

If an extra five bucks is going to ruin your Thailand holiday then don't come. No, this may not be ethical or fair, but aren't we making a big deal out of a relatively small thing here, or is this going to be one of those threads where people decry the principal of it over, and over, and over, and..........

Great words of wisdom? I think not. :o

funny how the official Overseer of Scam Points missed this one for so long.

happened to me 2 weeks ago.

where u go.

i go sukhumvit

400baht

UHhhhhh what says me

she quickly retracted and i got the usual meter.

so i'm not sure if it was plus tolls.

the lady acted very guilty, "caught in the act" style.

why complain about a few baht?

coz it p i s s ses me off !!!

Great words of wisdom? I think not. :D

And your contribution is?

There are varying methods and prices for travelling to and from airports all over the world. What price most people pay depends on their needs, and in many cases, natural selection.

Sorry that the wrong one applied to you. :o

Edited by cdnvic

What's in it for the dispatcher? I honestly can't figure out how any money (commission) works its way back to the dispatcher? I guess a driver might pay a small fee up front, for the privilege of getting a flat-fare customer? Or maybe the driver follows up with the dispatcher later? The process at Suvarnabhumi is a little less transparent than it was at Don Muang. At DM you basically took the next taxi in line, more or less. At BKK now there is a runner between the dispatcher and the taxi driver so there can be some manipulation of the flat fare passenger to a specific taxi/driver, I guess. And perhaps there is a hand-off back to the runner at this point?

For the time being the recommendation would be to have everyone specifically mention the word "meter" when detailing the request (destination) to the dispatcher. Then maybe re-confirm the use of the meter with the driver before loading bags into the taxi.

Someone with first-hand experience might consider writing a letter to the Editor at the Nation or Post?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, I come to Thailand about 3 times a year, on my last trip in May I was transferring from the new airport to DM for a domestic flight - the same thing happened to me, the girl at the desk gave me a Fixed Fee of 500 baht, then the driver asked me for the road tolls extra, but after I argued that the girl had said fixed fee he relented and paid himself, so it is happening, the desk girl(s) are in on the scam, but as a previous post said, after a 16 hr journey I couldn't be bothered arguing at the desk , I thought maybe this was a new ruling for airport taxis, but on arriving at Udon I was told by some ex pat mates that the meter fare was about 400 baht, I was scammed !

Mally

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, I come to Thailand about 3 times a year, on my last trip in May I was transferring from the new airport to DM for a domestic flight - the same thing happened to me, the girl at the desk gave me a Fixed Fee of 500 baht, then the driver asked me for the road tolls extra, but after I argued that the girl had said fixed fee he relented and paid himself, so it is happening, the desk girl(s) are in on the scam, but as a previous post said, after a 16 hr journey I couldn't be bothered arguing at the desk , I thought maybe this was a new ruling for airport taxis, but on arriving at Udon I was told by some ex pat mates that the meter fare was about 400 baht, I was scammed !

Mally

$3 is a cheap lesson. Don't let it get you down. Be wary, use your head, and enjoy the rest of your time in Thailand. :o

Nah, it didn't get to me, I quickly worked out that 400 meter fare, + tolls + tip would have been 500 baht anyway, just don't like being ripped just for being a falang tourist !

When I did the return (DM to BKK) I just gave the driver (who had the meter on and paid the road tolls) 500 baht anyway, he was more than happy. Just have to make sure that they don't try upping the 'fixed fee' when I arrive back in August !

i have been travelling in and out of Suva at least 1nce a week since it opened and never had this s**t pulled on me until last week when I asked to goto my destination in Ratchada and they told me 400 baht. I laughed at them and told them in thai that 'why you make falang pay more?' and I will prefer to use the meter. they laughed and said they were just kidding and I got my meter ride. but imagine everybody else who didnt question had to pay the fixed rate.

if a few of us complain, i am sure it will just be ignored, but if there is a constant stream of calls and visits to the airport authorities- it may be changed....

Guess I should have been more assertive when I was quoted 400 baht, as I even asked the dispatcher on the other side of the table, and everyone acted like everything's a fixed fee now. I figured it had changed since my last arrival in January and went along.

I don't understand how this all works since on the trip downtown you pass by the off-site transit center with tons of taxis waiting there. I figured you got metered taxis there, but if you wanted the convenience of airport pick up, they charged flat fees. Why even have taxis at the transit center when there were lots of idle taxis at the airport? I did notice that the cabs at the airport are a notch above appearance-wise.

Really, with what it used to cost from Don Mueang, tolls and what I normally tipped it was about the same. So I was annoyed until I worked out what it used to cost. I took the express bus at the airport the next time through for 150 baht. 1/2 block walk on the tail end, but saved 250 baht.

I don't understand how this all works since on the trip downtown you pass by the off-site transit center with tons of taxis waiting there. I figured you got metered taxis there, but if you wanted the convenience of airport pick up, they charged flat fees. Why even have taxis at the transit center when there were lots of idle taxis at the airport?

These taxis are waiting to be dispatched to the official taxi pick-up point on level 1 of the main passenger terminal building, where you got your taxi. Without this flow control the terminal building would be overrun with taxis. AFAIK drivers pay to enter the queue at the transportation center, and then recoup that payment from the 50 baht service fee that the passenger pays and the end of the trip. Sometimes there are 300+ taxis waiting at the transportation center.