Suvarnabhumi Switches Transport Policy

B-BOY

Suvarnabhumi switches transport policy

Monday, September 10, 2007

All public transportation including buses can now pick up and drop off passengers in front of the terminal.

Changes to Suvarnabhumi Airport ’s transport system to make the airport more user friendly have been discussed for over four months, and have now been finalised. Effective 1 October, the new system will allow all public transport including BMTA busses to serve passengers in front of the terminal halls, while the public transport centre will only be used buses queued for departure.

Details of the changes are:

Group tour busses and the Airport Express will drop off passengers at the inner kerbside on the fourth level, adjacent to the departure hall, and pick up passengers at the inner kerbside on the first level, a space currently allocated to taxis.

Taxis and limousines will drop off passengers at the outer kerbside on the fourth level and pick up passengers at the inner kerbside on the second level, adjacent to the arrivals hall. This means taxis move up a level for pick up.

BMTA buses, vans and air crew shuttle buses will drop off passengers at the outer kerbside on the fourth level and pick up at the outer kerbside on the first level.

Rented vehicles can be picked up and dropped off as before at the inner kerbside on the second level.

The intra-Suvarnabhumi shuttle bus passengers will pick up and drop off passengers at the inner kerbside on the first, second, and fourth levels.

Source = ttr

Effective 1 October ...

Taxis and limousines will drop off passengers at the outer kerbside on the fourth level and pick up passengers at the inner kerbside on the second level, adjacent to the arrivals hall. This means taxis move up a level for pick up.

FINALLY!

Although I'll only believe it when I see it.

Wish list: (adding to marshbags)

Decent signage in arrivals hall where to find the metered taxis and where to find the shuttle to the transportation center. (how to get a bus going downtown?)

Or should I understand ALL departing buses will be available first level?? That's how it should have been designed in the first place (with 4 levels)

Make the arrivals hall free from people pushing you to their scams.

Some signs to make arriving passengers understand they have OTHER options than the AOT limo scam.

Edited by tartempion

Decent signage in arrivals hall where to find the metered taxis and where to find the shuttle to the transportation center. (how to get a bus going downtown?)

The signs for the Transportation Centre Shuttle and Meter Taxis (first level) will be installed next week, just in time for them to become outdated :o

• 3 weeks later...
Today is Oct first, and where to find the taxis if not one level down from arrivals??? :D

:o

Indeed. We are waiting with great impatience some reports...

Someone ?

that move probably greatly pissed off the private limo mafia who i am sure paid large amounts of money for it to be in the original form

probably the current powers at AOT is trying to set things straight by making a public announcement that this is how things will be - however they may not have the actual power to actually make the private limo mafia move aside

This is good news- for all of the Wehoes who try to push their baggage carts on the escalators! The number of escalator related injuries and tragedies should drop dramatically!

sounds like someone with some cojones actually stood up to the taxi cartel.

When, if ever, will we see shuttles from regional airports? I'm familiar with Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and Phuket, and know that they don't have shuttles - and I'd be very surprised if any other airports in Thailand have shuttles going from terminals to their respective towns.

It keeps Thailand firmly in 3rd world territory to not have shuttle buses or minivans.

Main reason: is authorities can't stand up to taxi toughs. ....oh, and lack of creative thinking by dems in charge. ...and because they're so riveted on the goal of squeezing as much baht as possible out of each traveler, that such petty a thing as travelers' convenience is of scant concern.

Dare I say free shuttles! Naw, that's laughable and far too progressive for Thailand.