Immigation Offices To Close

Some of you will know of the plans to close Korat Immigration Office.

Acording to Isaan Lawers who sponser the Isaan forum, Chiangmai and Had Yai are also on the list.

If the link works , look here.

//hotlink removed per forum rules - read below for information//

Acording to Isaan Lawers who sponser the Isaan forum, Chiangmai and Had Yai are also on the list.

Chiang Mai and Hat Yai would be odd choices for immigrations office closures considering that both are actual ports-of-entry into Thailand. :o

Logical, now Suan Phlu will be handling immigration issues for the entire country? Better get some more office space!

Hi,

I was informed today by 2 immigration officers in Korat that Chiangmai, Hat Yai and Korat should be closing soon. A decision has been made by authorities but according to these officers, we can maybe made them changed their minds. This is why we organised a petition in Korat and sent many emails to the immigration website. I am not sure if it will help, but we have nothing to lose. BKK is 250 km from Korat and most people here are not very happy to do 500 km at least each year to get an extension.

We are sending the below petition to the contact section of the Immigration Bureau website.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=comment.

You may change Korat for Chiangmai ou Hat Yai. Many thanks for your support.

================

Dear Sir/Madam

I have just learnt, that there are plans to close the North-East Immigration Office in Nakhon Ratchasima/Korat and move this service to Bangkok.

For the many foreigners who are living in and around Korat, the second largest city in Thailand, this is very disappointing news.

For many of us, over retirement age, it can be a major problem to have to make a round trip of over 500 kilometers, (more for those who live outside the Korat city area) and maybe have an overnight stay, not to mention the cost, to extend our visas at the Immigration Office in Bangkok.

For those of us here, based on Marriage to a Thai wife. who have young children the trip will invariably involve an overnight stay in Bangkok. It is just too much travel for children to do in a day.

There are also many foriegn teachers servicing the schools in this area. This could present the schools with a major problem if teachers have to take time off work for up to two days at a time.

The foreign population in Korat is expanding rapidly, and the opening of the Immigration Office for visa extensions and 90 day reporting, less than 18 months ago, was seen as a positive step foward. The staff there are most helpful and always do their best to help us to understand their requirements.

I must kindly ask you to reconsider your decision and let the office stay open to continue the excellent service they offer to the foreign residents and visitors to the Korat area.

If this decision has been made by a higher authority than yourself, would you please pass this message on to the appropriate authority and let me know accordingly.

Yours faithfully

Name.............................

Address..........................

wow...I like the idea of a petition and not to be overly pedantic, but I thought Chiang Mai was "the second largest city in Thailand" but I also suppose that if the Chiang Mai residents decide to utilize this petition format, they wouldn't need to change that line.

I wish all the petitioners and residents in these cities the best of luck. I realize it will create a hardship for many of you...

Edited by sriracha john

...not to be overly pedantic, but I thought Chiang Mai was "the second largest city in Thailand"...

Actually, for city cores, it's Hat Yai after Bangkok (which is then technically followed by Nonthaburi and Pak Kret before Hat Yai, but I'm lumping those two in with Bangkok). After that Chiang Mai in a virtual tie with Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat).

But, in outlying areas, who knows? Probably Korat, I think.

From the Department of Provincial Administration via Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_citie...d_by_population:

Bangkok, pop. 5,705,061

Nonthaburi, pop. 266,844

Pak Kret, pop. 167,887

Hat Yai, pop. 157,363

Chiang Mai, pop. 148,828

Nakhon Ratchasima, pop. 147,879

Lonely Planet Thailand, 2007, lists it Bangkok (7,500,000), Korat (215,000), Chiang Mai (204,000), and then Hat Yai (193,732).

Edited by worldquester

So does this mean that Chiang Mai retirees will have to travel down to Bkk to do their yearly extension......or maybe to Chiang Rai or Mae Hong Son for example. What about the 90 day notifications????/.....or is this immigration police work and not related to the actual immigration office?

What larger plan is this part of I wonder. On your bikes aliens!!!!!!

We all need to let our concerns be known , Ive just contacted my Embassy with this...,

Dear Sir / Madam

It has come to my notice that the Thai Immigration Office situated in Nakhonratchsima is to be closed down. My self and many British citizens Who live and work in and around the Nakhonratchsima province use the Immigration Office facilities on a constant basis, and it allows us all to carry out our Thai Immigration requirements with out having to make a long time consuming trip to the Main Thai Immigration office in Bangkok. Should this Highly respected and well used Immigration office be closed down , it will cause a lot off stress and problems to Many British citizens who relay on its services, I would therefore respectfully Ask that you make it known to the appropriate Thai authorities the concerns of my self and all the British citizens who use and rely on the Nakhonratchsima Thai Immigration Office . Should the Nakhonratchsima Thai Immigration office be closed It will be a sad loss to every one , not only for my self but all other British citizens Who come from surrounding provinces and areas to use the Immigration facilities.

Yours .......

even if you don't live in Korat , sooner or later ....... it could affect you ,

Harald

Chiang Mai and Hat Yai would be odd choices for immigrations office closures considering that both are actual ports-of-entry into Thailand. :o

I just called the inspector of immigration for Chiangmai, and he knows nothing of the proposed closure. Are they always the last to know?

I just called the inspector of immigration for Chiangmai, and he knows nothing of the proposed closure. Are they always the last to know?

Possibly

...not to be overly pedantic, but I thought Chiang Mai was "the second largest city in Thailand"...

Actually, for city cores, it's Hat Yai after Bangkok (which is then technically followed by Nonthaburi and Pak Kret before Hat Yai, but I'm lumping those two in with Bangkok). After that Chiang Mai in a virtual tie with Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat).

But, in outlying areas, who knows? Probably Korat, I think.

From the Department of Provincial Administration via Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_citie...d_by_population:

Bangkok, pop. 5,705,061

Nonthaburi, pop. 266,844

Pak Kret, pop. 167,887

Hat Yai, pop. 157,363

Chiang Mai, pop. 148,828

Nakhon Ratchasima, pop. 147,879

Lonely Planet Thailand, 2007, lists it Bangkok (7,500,000), Korat (215,000), Chiang Mai (204,000), and then Hat Yai (193,732).

So where does Khon Kaen fit in?

I don;t believe everything in wikipedia, and surely there are more than 148,000 people inside the moat in Ching Mai. During Songkran, there may be that many people IN the moat. I've lived in enough metro areas to think CMai has close to half a million if not far more, in Amphur Muang and its adjacent amphurs. I can believe they might streamline operations, maybe demote the local office chief from colonel to Lt. Col, but not eliminate the office.

I don;t believe everything in wikipedia, and surely there are more than 148,000 people inside the moat in Ching Mai. During Songkran, there may be that many people IN the moat. I've lived in enough metro areas to think CMai has close to half a million if not far more, in Amphur Muang and its adjacent amphurs. I can believe they might streamline operations, maybe demote the local office chief from colonel to Lt. Col, but not eliminate the office.

The last credible figure for the population of Chiang Mai city (as opposed to the whole province) was a little under 1.5 million, from memory. It's a big province but a small city.

Five years ago the (then) head of CM Immigration told me that there were around 28,000 foreigners living here, ie on visas other than 'tourist'. He did add that the figure included legal labourers from neighbouring nations.

Since then the number of Japanese people living here has dramatically reduced (as Japanese-funded companies on the Lamphun Ind. Estate replace expensive, home grown & exported, managers with cheaper locals) but I would guess that this has been more than compensated for by extra western settlers. Note the incredible growth of the Expats Club in just 3+ years.

Almost every major 5 star hotel chain is here now, or building, and our much acclaimed airport 'hub' should soon be turning around more flights from now on to cope with the extra demand that their sophisticated marketing is already generating.

If CM Immigration closes, who is going to deal with the regular swoops on illegal Burmese labourers, raids which keep the new 'prison/cattle truck' busily commuting to Mae Sai to take the poor blighters back?

Close CM and expand Chiang Rai? Well, who knows, dottier decisions have been taken by previous govts of this fair land.

I would doubt this, but there are no guarantees. And no reason why a defensive campaign should not be mounted.

By the by, that rhubarb about Chiang Mai being Thailand's 2nd largest city has been propagated erroneously for years by many bodies and brains which should know better. Particularly TAT!!

Even Wikipedia doesn't believe everything in Wikipedia :o Have a look at this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai_Metropolitan_Area

According to that page Amphur Mueang Chiang Mai has 249,118 inhabitants and the (well defined) metropolitan area has 692,148. These numbers subjectively seem a lot more realistic than the 148,000 mentioned above.

/ Priceless

I was always under the impession that we had to provide links to information we posted here. It apears this is not the case as the link I posted with important information was deleted.

Anyway as most members here seem to be more interested as to which is the second largest city in Thailand and not whether their Immigration Office is going to be closed why should I worry. In future I shall keep any such information to myself.

Who are the some of us that know?

Now that it is rumoured from some very unreliable sources that certain Immigration offices will close, (if this is not a wind up) causing great inconvenience and difficulties for visa applicants & renewers, suddenly the Immigration offices have been promoted to being considered highly respected and well used.

For many years some visa applicants have openly criticized the Immigration system here in Thailand, accusing officers of being incompetent and that Immigration deliberately gives applicants a hard time. Also the notices displayed in Immigration asking that applicants dress politely are widely ignored. I have witnessed many wearing filthy shorts and vests as if they had just departed from a drunken beach party, showing no respect for the system or the Thai people and yet they expect a courteous, helpful and sympathetic service from the officers towards those who do not qualify to be here and that the Immigration laws should be tailor made to suit their particular situations.

For those who don't believe that they are entitled to pay taxes here and are evading tax, should remember that although many of us pay visa fees, the ultimate costs of running and maintaining the Immigration offices is mostly met by the Thai Government, genuine Farang resident tax payers and Thai workers. To educate those who cant grasp what this means and put it in simple language, the Thai people are doing us a favour by having Immigration offices in various parts of Thailand for our convenience.

Many Farangs here are extremely iffy, having no regard for Immigration laws in Thailand and will try whatever means possible to bypass the Immigration offices by doing visa runs, border renewals or even staying with no visa at all, because they do not qualify under the imposed terms of the Immigration laws to be in Thailand as long term residences or workers.

The irresponsible activities practised by an increasing number of Farangs trying to dodge the official channels of visa renewal, are well known to the Thai authorities, that must inevitably lead to the tightening up of Visa laws for the long term foreign residents living here and less compassion for the foreign residents by the Thai government.

Closing of certain Immigration offices would mean huge difficulties for the elderly. Disabled, those with young families, workers and for everyone in general.

Edited by distortedlink

Can't ever see CM immigration closing. It's a major tourist hub and international gateway for starters. I'd say the Isaan lawyers are talkin balderdash :o

Have been to immigration office in Korat several times the last week.

(Don't know about CM tho)

Statement of Isaanlawyers is true.

I even got permission from the officers to have our petition request, to sign for visitors, in the room.

For many years some visa applicants have openly criticized the Immigration system here in Thailand, accusing officers of being incompetent and that Immigration deliberately gives applicants a hard time. Also the notices displayed in Immigration asking that applicants dress politely are widely ignored. I have witnessed many wearing filthy shorts and vests as if they had just departed from a drunken beach party, showing no respect for the system or the Thai people and yet they expect a courteous, helpful and sympathetic service from the officers towards those who do not qualify to be here and that the Immigration laws should be tailor made to suit their particular situations.

We are extremely happy with "our" officers in Korat.

They are strict and act according to the book , but.....they are also very helpful and friendly.

I really haven't read any bad comments since they started about 1 1/2 years ago.In contrairy many people from Khon kaen start to use their services too.In my opinion this is how an immigration office should look like :D

Edited by astral

Now that it is rumoured from some very unreliable sources that certain Immigration offices will close, (if this is not a wind up) causing great inconvenience and difficulties for visa applicants & renewers, suddenly the Immigration offices have been promoted to being considered highly respected and well used.

For those who don't believe that they are entitled to pay taxes here and are evading tax, should remember that although many of us pay visa fees, the ultimate costs of running and maintaining the Immigration offices is mostly met by the Thai Government, genuine Farang resident tax payers and Thai workers. To educate those who cant grasp what this means and put it in simple language, the Thai people are doing us a favour by having Immigration offices in various parts of Thailand for our convenience.

Many Farangs here are extremely iffy, having no regard for Immigration laws in Thailand and will try whatever means possible to bypass the Immigration offices by doing visa runs, border renewals or even staying with no visa at all, because they do not qualify under the imposed terms of the Immigration laws to be in Thailand as long term residences or workers.

The irresponsible activities practised by an increasing number of Farangs trying to dodge the official channels of visa renewal, are well known to the Thai authorities, that must inevitably lead to the tightening up of Visa laws for the long term foreign residents living here and less compassion for the foreign residents by the Thai government.

Closing of certain Immigration offices would mean huge difficulties for the elderly. Disabled, those with young families, workers and for everyone in general.

Very well summed up Distortedlink. The few bad apples make it difficult for the whole lot

These "rumours" as many of you call them are NOT unsubstantiated or unreliable.

Several people in Korat have spoken to Immigration and been told the same thing. Korat, Hat Yai and Chang Mai offices are up for closure.

Isaan Lawyers posted in good faith what they have been told by Immigration officers.

In Korat Immigration asked for a copy of the petition against the closure to be left at the Immigration office for visitors to sign.

Draw your own conclusions... :o:D

The Farangs who do visa runs and those who overstay their visa don't show up at immigration offices.

Maybe they are targeting "the elderly, the disabled, those with families, workers and everyone in general", the so-called "good apples" as Krub put it. :o

Some of you will know of the plans to

Okay so let me follow your logic. Disrespectful foreigners offend valued Immigration officials and employees with their poor dress, bad manners and unfair criticism. So to remedy the situation they eliminate the jobs of said valued Thai officials and employees?

Huh?

Uhmm... probably the many that those use the Korat Immigration office.

I wouldn't consider a Forum sponsor as "unreliable" nor would I would consider LiteBeer as that, either. His stuff is solid and I apologize to him for being the unwitting instigator of unintentionally sidetracking his thread with the intended light-hearted and miniscule issue of population counts. I would have remained mute on the subject if I had known it would have resulted in so much thread derailment. I have to constantly remind myself that Thaivisa has changed over the years and it seems that the slightest little remark can now often be extracted, highlighlighted, and extrapolated into multiple thread-derailing replies. I'm sorry for making that original comment, LiteBeer. That was not my intent in the slightest. :o

< two paragraphs of inconsequential and unrelated barking snipped >

I agree.

. I'm sorry for making that original comment, LiteBeer. That was not my intent in the slightest.[/color] :o

No problem. You did actually make some good points.

I should be apologising to you. I was getting a little frustrated with the way the thread was going.

Some people are doing there best to try and help everyone while others accuse them of rumour mongering. It is a fact that Korat is going to close in a couple of months unless there is a change of plan.

If a highly reputable company such as Isaan Lawers say that their contacts in the Immigration Office tell them that other offices are also going the same way , you have to believe what they say. There must be something in this.

If offices are closed then this will affect every one as other offices will have an increased workload. Meaning a worse service all round.

Lets hope the contacts got it wrong and Chiang Mai and Had Yai are not on the list. :D