National Soi Dog Day

From the TGW news section:

Thai government officials have long wanted to recognise the significance that street (soi) dogs have been an integral part of Thai life for many years now, and will mark the inaugural National Soi Dog day on March 19th and annually thereaffter.

The day will feature many canine themed activities and discussions on health issues related to the life of the dogs in general, nutrition, sanitisation and general good health.

"This was first considered two years ago but it was then decided to just select a few for Police training" said Noppapol Srindhorn, public relations officer of the TGW

"When we realised that public did actually care for the welfare of the animals which was shown when the dogs evacuated for APEC were almost abandoned at a shelter near the Cambodian border were rescued with a huge flood of donations from Bangkok residents"

The first national day will feature a huge health awareness campaign aimed at improving conditions for the animals.

Well, who says I was mad then?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the soi dogs wont end on a plate!!!

In many places they already have...who knows how many vendors have been busted for selling BBQ'd soi dog when they were adverstising for grilled steak! :o Actually, there is a province in the Issan where dogs are frequently eaten although probably the mangiest of them are left alone....doubt they would be too tasty :D

Round them up and put them down. Nothing but a nuisance.

I hope catching the dogs and putting them down will be the main theme fo the day!!

They are carriers of filth and disease, a public menace!!

Here's to the soi dogs giving you two a nice bite on the arse on your way home tonight. :o

Horrible bastards.

Must be mssing something here,Why do Thais view SOI Dogs as worth commemorating.

Shoot them all.....and the mad falang women that want to save them all,that place in samui you can smell at the end of the soi.

HEHE,luv the pinay quote,had a girlfriend from there once,showed her pic of my German Shepherd,she literally drooled....wasnt sure why at the time.

:o

And the rats and roaches are always neglected when it comes to a national day...

I am amazed at the suggestion that they should be put down. Thailand is a Buddhist nation and Buddha taught us to respect all life. We have had countless numbers of lives, and in each life we had a mother whom we loved. Maybe one of those dogs you are so quick to condemn was your mother in a previous life.

I've helped looked after 3 Soi Dogs in Walking St for 3 years now.

Pattaya guys will know them, 1 fat White dog, A mangy lookin brown dog, and a brindle fat dog with little legs.

They all have collars on, they get flea, tick treatment every 3 months, they have had the rabies jabs, showered every once and a while because idiots draw all ove the white one. etc etc. :o

We personally pay for vets bills including having "Georgie" the white one spayed.

All dogs are in and around JP, Marine, Soi Lucky Star.

I've personally had 2 arguements with people treating them badly. :D

Kurgen on this forum is mainly the one to thank for taking care of them.

A while back when they came around and took all the soi dogs these 3 were protected and still remain now.

They eat at Marine restaurant everynight (Marine alos looks after them) :D

Laugh if you want but anyone I see mis- treating them will have to accept being mis- treated by me. :D

Edited by davethailand

Year or so back GF and i staying at the welcome in pattaya

by the buddha shrine big soi dog family.

One had just had pups and we were walking back thru the carpark when it attacked us.

Both of us had to go and get tetanus and other shots.

Useless Hotel manager acted like it was our fault.

I wanted them all shot.

Soi dogs are the one animal that you can't stroke!

Round them up and put them down. Nothing but a nuisance.

I hope catching the dogs and putting them down will be the main theme fo the day!!

They are carriers of filth and disease, a public menace!!

Here's to the soi dogs giving you two a nice bite on the arse on your way home tonight. :o

Horrible bastards.

Nice guy you are. Maybe I should round up the local soi dog pack here and deliver them in your bar since you love them so much.

Most of the soi dogs I've encountered are friendly and don't even bark at you...they just more or less wander on by. Some have snapped a bit at me but not with any real effort. I had a few of them bark aggressively and approach me at which point I stomped my foot and picked up a rock or a stick and that scared them off. Unlike some people's pet dogs, most soi dogs are cowards won't get really nasty towards you unless you go after them first. The dogs that are the biggest threat are those monster Rottweilers that people keep. Most people here tend to keep their dogs locked up behind a gate unlike many folks where I'm from. That is one thing dog owners do well here...keep those nasty dogs behind a fence.

I am amazed at the suggestion that they should be put down. Thailand is a Buddhist nation and Buddha taught us to respect all life. We have had countless numbers of lives,  and in each life we had a mother whom we loved. Maybe one of those dogs you are so quick to condemn was your mother in a previous life.

Ooooh theres definatly one cat with it's claws out on this soi dog forum :o

I've helped looked after 3 Soi Dogs in Walking St for 3 years now.

Pattaya guys will know them, 1 fat White dog, A mangy lookin brown dog, and a brindle fat dog with little legs.

They all have collars on, they get flea, tick treatment every 3 months, they have had the rabies jabs, showered every once and a while because idiots draw all ove the white one. etc etc. :o

We personally pay for vets bills including having "Georgie" the white one spayed.

All dogs are in and around JP, Marine, Soi Lucky Star.

I've personally had 2 arguements with people treating them badly. :D

Kurgen on this forum is mainly the one to thank for taking care of them.

A while back when they came around and took all the soi dogs these 3 were protected and still remain now.

They eat at Marine restaurant everynight (Marine alos looks after them) :D

Laugh if you want but anyone I see mis- treating them will have to accept being mis- treated by me.  :D

I like Georgie, haven't seen him for a while. After a meal at Marine, he must be relaxing at Living Do(ll)(g)s :D

BTW, for those who've never seen him, Georgie looks like Phazey's avatar.

The fat one with little legs sounds familar. :o

I can remember not so long ago the boys in brown shooting them on Jomtien beach.

The king and his mongrel dog have had their photos splashed all over just lately. Thai's have picked up on this and so given dogs the flavour of the year..Hmmm so to speak.

BTW dogs are still killed and slaughtered for food in Thailand.

Soi dogs are the one animal that you can't stroke!

Hedgehogs and porcupines can be tricky too, as can crocks! :o

They need to be controlled (numbers wise) but with a snip rather than a dollup of rat poison. Most seem friendly, I don't go near though. Most seem scarred of me and run if I happen to be walking in their direction (maybe its just me?). Not sure about a national day though?

I am amazed at the suggestion that they should be put down. Thailand is a Buddhist nation and Buddha taught us to respect all life. We have had countless numbers of lives,  and in each life we had a mother whom we loved. Maybe one of those dogs you are so quick to condemn was your mother in a previous life.

Oh you had me for me for a moment trollgolite!