Thailand Moves Head Off Dengue Epidemic

george

Thailand moves head off dengue epidemic

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Public Health Ministry on Friday announced a week-long mosquito eradication campaign in a bid to head off major outbreak of dengue fever over the next three months.

So far this year, the ministry said 7,215 had contracted the disease nationwide with 12 confirmed deaths. The latest victim was a young boy from Bangkok who died on Wednesday.

Health Minister Dr. Suchai Charoenratanakul told a media conference here that the eradication campaign, beginning in Bangkok on May 22, was aimed at preventing an epidemic of the mosquito-borne disease during the high-risk, rainy season months between June and August.

He said it was hoped the mosquito population would be halved during the campaign.

''Disease control squads must be sent in right away to every infected area...even if there has only been one case reported. Chemical sprays should be used and litter removed,'' the minister said.

There will also be a dengue awareness campaign conducted in schools across the country when the new semester starts next week. Children are among those at greatest risk from the disease.

--TNA 2005-05-13

Dengue fever cases up sharply

PHUKET CITY: -- The Phuket Public Health Office (PPHO) is urging the public to take steps to eradicate mosquitoes around their premises in an effort to prevent the spread of dengue fever.

Despite efforts by the PPHO to prevent the spread of mosquito-borne disease after the tsunami, there have been 68 reported cases of the disease since the beginning of the year – about double the number of cases during the same period last year.

Most cases were reported in Thalang district (33), followed by Muang District (29) and Kathu (6).

The PPHO mosquito-eradication effort is part of a nationwide campaign by the Public Health Ministry to curb the disease, which killed 14 people nationwide between January 1 and April 30.

The Ministry has said it will also launch a five-day “Anti-Dengue Fever Week” nationwide, starting May 23.

The Ministry fears that one of the sub-types of the four dengue viral strains common in Thailand may have mutated into a more virulent form, and it is now conducting research on dengue sufferers in an attempt to identify any new strains.

An expert in communicable diseases at the PPHO, who asked to remain anonymous, explained that those who have already been exposed to the disease and are then bitten by a mosquito carrying a different strain are particularly at risk.

Such victims can go into shock because the body may misdirect its immune response, trying to fight the strain to which it has already been exposed.

Although the risk of infection by the the dengue virus is equally distributed among age brackets, those in the 10- to 14-year-old category tend to have the highest incidence of dengue infection because they are the least careful about protecting themselves from mosquito stings. Parents are more likely to protect infants from mosquitoes, the official said.

The PPHO will continue its campaign to eradicate mosquitoes and their larvae by spraying insecticide and pouring chemicals into sewer systems, she added.

The office is also asking the public to drain potential breeding sites, such as inside discarded tires. People should also take all precautions to protect themselves and their children from mosquito bites, the expert said.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-05-13

Father of dengue fever victim to donate mosquito sprayers

BANGKOK: -- The father of a 13 year-old boy who earlier this week died of dengue shock syndrome said today that he would purchase mosquito spraying equipment to donate to the government in its fight against the mosquito-borne disease.

Mr. Weera Pholsomboonchoke, whose son 'Nong Phum' died Wednesday night, revealed that as his son had lain dying in hospital, he had determined that he would do everything he could to help eliminate the disease from the Thai society.

He now hopes to be able to purchase mosquito spraying equipment which can be used by public health officials to spray insecticide around homes and schools.

Thailand is facing a dengue fever epidemic this year, of such proportions that even Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has expressed concern.

--TNA 2005-05-13

Indeed definitely something to worry about if the Dengue changes into a more powerful virulent form.

That alone is presenting it to be very dangerous. Problem with this kind of Disease is THERE IS NO VACCINE AT ALL FOR ANY OF THE 4 CURRENT KNOWN VIRUS STRAINS.

Now if the 5th or 6th new strain shows up everybody is in extreme danger and it is almost certain Death for anyone who previously had Dengue.

This is Darn Scary without a doubt.

I feel for the victims.

Daveyo

How can you take these annual missives seriously? The real epedemic is one of Thai indifference and downright stupidity. Bad habits that are part of their "tradtion", standing water everywere, a drainage system that is nothing more than a bad joke coupled with their belief that splashing water liberally around makes their home and yard "clean". Their only chance is to lift their game and for this I would give up on the adults and educate the children fully on environmental issues. It worked in western societies over 30 years ago, but in LOS where children "know nothing" and are taught to shut up and not express thenselves, fat chance until they take over.

Indeed definitely something to worry about if the Dengue changes into a more powerful virulent form.

That alone is presenting it to be very dangerous.  Problem with this kind of Disease is THERE IS NO VACCINE AT ALL FOR ANY OF THE 4 CURRENT KNOWN VIRUS STRAINS.

Now if the 5th or 6th new strain shows up everybody is in extreme danger and it is almost certain Death for anyone who previously had Dengue.

This is Darn Scary without a doubt.

I feel for the victims.

Daveyo

Dave, use the "bold" feature. The uppercase crap just pisses readers off.

How can you take these annual missives seriously? The real epedemic is one of Thai indifference and downright stupidity. Bad habits that are part of their "tradtion", standing water everywere, a drainage system that is nothing more than a bad joke coupled with their belief that splashing water liberally around makes their home and yard "clean". Their only chance is to lift their game and for this I would give up on the adults and educate the children fully on environmental issues. It worked in western societies over 30 years ago, but in LOS where children "know nothing" and are taught to shut up and not express thenselves, fat chance until they take over.

You are absolutely right about the education bit. From the couple of years I have been in Thailand, 16 months in Koh Samui where there WAS a dengue outbreak, the education is sorely lacking here.

That said, education doesn't necessarily work. Take Singapore for example. With anti-mosquito education, home inspections and fines for standing water, and regular government spraying, they still have scores of dengue cases every year (sorry, not sure what the number is).

"How can you take these annual missives seriously? The real epedemic is one of Thai indifference and downright stupidity. Bad habits that are part of their "tradtion", standing water everywere, a drainage system that is nothing more than a bad joke coupled with their belief that splashing water liberally around makes their home and yard "clean". Their only chance is to lift their game and for this I would give up on the adults and educate the children fully on environmental issues. It worked in western societies over 30 years ago, but in LOS where children "know nothing" and are taught to shut up and not express thenselves, fat chance until they take over"

Well said!

I will ad to this:

Chemical companies are going to make a killing here is all that will really happen while the natural environment and people will cont to suffer a lot, it sounds to me.

The Thais are so gullible to believe modern “chemicals” will solve any and all their problems.

Chemicals will kill the very thing that will save the population from mosquito born diseases namely the fish.

Thailand never had this problem before chemicals started being used here as the fresh water fish took care of naturally eradicating the mosquitoes as well as provided a critical protein food source for nearly everyone in the country.

Now they unknowingly (they are so dumb as my Thai wife says) poison the fish (with all kinds of chemical agents including their laundry soaps) and the fish die-off with all their “cool” new chemicals.

And then what happens… the mosquitoes come right back and breed in the empty dead toxic waters but now they are just a bit stronger and more resilient to the toxic chemicals that these dumb (cant think of a better word) people are using to destroy their very own environment.

The diseases spread, the fat boys (wealthy Thai/ Chinese chemical company owners) make the big money and the people and the natural environment suffer once again.

The real problem is these people are plain dumb and use there new found wealth (dumb people with too much money are dangerous to everyone including themselves in a modern world) to buy so much plastic and toxic chemicals which ends up polluting their own environment.

Mosquitoes can adapt to such changes (a toxic polluted environment) faster than fish and humans so guess what?

You get big problems which even now the PM is concerned about.

But if this PM had any sense about him (and he absolutely doesn’t) he would start putting tight controls on all chemical use, clean up the environment (i.e. out law toxic laundry soaps and the “plastic bag” as they have I hear in Taiwan I hear) and make Thailand an eco friendly place to live for everyone.

This is what the King of Thailand has been promoting now for over 30 years but who is listening?

This PM is only promoting more and more toxic chemical use in Thailand such that the country will destroy its own environment and the results will be catastrophic.

:o

I predict this PM will go down in history as the man who finished off the Thai environment and destroyed the very lands which these Thai people are so darn proud of.

Edited by ayakiawe

2 year back i have passed throw dengue fever and was in hospital for 7 days. very painfull experience. good luck for me that doctor detected it in early stage by blod test.

local area administration ( khed) took measures and were sparying chemicals and distributing granuals pouches to remove mosqutoes. noted part is - the chemical spraying was done only in the soi and area where current goverment supporter stays, opposition supports - no spraying. unfortunately i was on vaccation and observed the spraying operation which was partly covering the infected area.

i hope this year local administration will take unbiased action and will perfrom chemical spraying in all area.

i stay near to last dengue victim area. i feel for him.

You are absolutely right about the education bit. From the couple of years I have been in Thailand, 16 months in Koh Samui where there WAS a dengue outbreak, the education is sorely lacking here.

That said, education doesn't necessarily work. Take Singapore for example. With anti-mosquito education, home inspections and fines for standing water, and regular government spraying, they still have scores of dengue cases every year (sorry, not sure what the number is).

Although these stats are from just a bit less than a year ago, it is clear that Singapore, despite their advanced education, government and well educated public is actually much worse than Thailand, comparatively speaking. Their stats show half the number of reported cases than that of Thailand but in a considerably smaller are and population base.

Dengue fever in Singapore and region

Monday, 16 August, 2004

According to news reports the number of Dengue fever cases has hit a new weekly peak in Singapore, with 312 new cases confirmed during the 1st week of August 2004. This figure is the highest weekly number since 1998. So far this year more than 3,500 cases have been diagnosed with dengue

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out!

The More chemicals in the environment the more diseases, plain and simple.

Singapore being a more affluent Asian country can afford more chemicals and there for has more of this and many other modern diseases.

Use fewer chemicals and you will have a healthier population.

He said it was hoped the mosquito population would be halved during the campaign.
Why not extend the campaign by 100% and wipe all of them out?

Well he started it.

Not to mention a greatly reduced one as well.

What do you mean was? There's an epidemic on right now in the Maenam area. I live in Bantai, and the little girl next door 12 Yrs old or so, has just got back from Nathon Hospital. Luckily they caught it early, but no ones come to spray yet. I want to phone the Amphur and get someone down here, but who the ###### am I supposed to call?

Chemicals, more chemicals...

To quote a source about as reliable as the now-legendary guy on the bus from Poipet... I was reading one of those "look at me, I've taken early retirement in Thailand" books a while back, and the guy happened to mention burning coconuts as a cure for mosquitos. This makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Upturned coconut shells lying around will collect rainwater and every single one becomes a mini pool for breeding mosquitos. In the past, coconut farming lands like Samui used to use the husks for making matting and rope and mosquito coils, but that's probably not economically viable now, so they'll get tossed aside.

So what is the definition of 'standing water'? For example, could it mean those little ornamental lotus leaf plants in concrete pots that you often see in people's gardens or are these somehow able to fend of the dengue mosquito's - My neighbour has hundreds of them dotted around her garden :o

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out!

The More chemicals in the environment the more diseases, plain and simple.

Singapore being a more affluent Asian country can afford more chemicals and there for has more of this and many other modern diseases.

thats right! :o:D

Trouble is the kids are educated by the adults without intrusion from outsiders, nasty little circle, heh!

So what is the definition of 'standing water'?  For example, could it mean those little ornamental lotus leaf plants in concrete pots that you often see in people's gardens or are these somehow able to fend of the dengue mosquito's - My neighbour has hundreds of them dotted around her garden :o

We have a couple of those. Along with the lotus plant we keep some tiny fish in them, and they take care of the mosquito larvae. One of our neighbors turned us on to that trick. Perhaps you could do the same? :D

jb

Well said!

I will ad to this:

Chemical companies are going to make a killing here is all that will really happen while the natural environment and people will cont to suffer a lot, it sounds to me.

The Thais are so gullible to believe modern “chemicals” will solve any and all their problems.

Chemicals will kill the very thing that will save the population from mosquito born diseases namely the fish.

Thailand never had this problem before chemicals started being used here as the fresh water fish took care of naturally eradicating the mosquitoes as well as provided a critical protein food source for nearly everyone in the country.

Now they unknowingly (they are so dumb as my Thai wife says) poison the fish (with all kinds of chemical agents including their laundry soaps) and the fish die-off with all their “cool” new chemicals.

And then what happens… the mosquitoes come right back and breed in the empty dead toxic waters but now they are just a bit stronger and more resilient to the toxic chemicals that these dumb (cant think of a better word) people are using to destroy their very own environment.

The diseases spread, the fat boys (wealthy Thai/ Chinese chemical company owners) make the big money and the people and the natural environment suffer once again.

The real problem is these people are plain dumb and use there new found wealth (dumb people with too much money are dangerous to everyone including themselves in a modern world) to buy so much plastic and toxic chemicals which ends up polluting their own environment.

Mosquitoes can adapt to such changes (a toxic polluted environment) faster than fish and humans so guess what?

You get big problems which even now the PM is concerned about.

But if this PM had any sense about him (and he absolutely doesn’t) he would start putting tight controls on all chemical use, clean up the environment (i.e. out law toxic laundry soaps and the “plastic bag” as they have I hear in Taiwan I hear) and make Thailand an eco friendly place to live for everyone.

This is what the King of Thailand has been promoting now for over 30 years but who is listening?

This PM is only promoting more and more toxic chemical use in Thailand such that the country will destroy its own environment and the results will be catastrophic.

:o

I predict this PM will go down in history as the man who finished off the Thai environment and destroyed the very lands which these Thai people are so darn proud of.

for once i agree with ayakiawa....red colour my own accent

we also have problems with mossies: malaria and some other thing: nile fever i think its cauled by daytime mossies..... in our area, no spraying, but everyone is responsible for farm areas and home areas...

old tires must be covered if stored and if used for animal feeders then punctured to allow water to drain (which have to do anyway so feed doesnt get wet);

standing water pools and water treatments pools use gambusa fish which can survive in pretty much any water and love mossies

in ornamental pools, use gold fish not koi (koi are veggie eaters, goldfish eat meat also)

leaky water systems get fixed also (wastes water and mossie problem)

plant mint and other water loving plants that 'dry' up the area near leaky water areas if cant (wont) be fixed, frogs come along, eat the mossies etc....

the sprays are all poisonous to insects, amphibians and reptiles, and birds thus creating a huge circle..

but then, we've discussed this and other environ. issues a million times on thaivisa etc.... thailand will learn just like israel learned, the hard way... and the turnabout came thru massive education in grade schools, and outreach programs which now again (politics of course) have no funding so the problems are returning.... :D

Edited by bina

Update:

Tropical fish industry makes waves thanks to dengue fever

CHIANG MAI: -- There cannot be many people in Thailand thankful for the epidemic of dengue fever that is sweeping the nation, but for one industry, the outbreak has proved a boon.

With the government urging members of the public to destroy the breeding grounds of the mosquitoes which spread the disease, the tropical fish industry is witnessing a surge in sales.

According to the owner of Chiang Mai's Shogun fish shop, members of the public are flocking in to purchase small fish costing Bt5-20 each to eat the mosquito larvae.

Cheap and easy to raise, the fish also add a little colour to every fish pond.

--TNA 2005-05-14

I had dengue about 14 years ago. Nasty stuff. I didn't go to the doctor because I was too sick to move. Fortunately, it was around Songkran and I had an extended holiday. Once back at work, but not fully recovered, I went to the Dr. and was diagnosed with dengue. Wasn't much they could do, but I was on the mend by then.

If you suspect you have symptoms, don't take aspirin--take paracetemol. It is a hemmorraghic type fever and aspirin is a blood thinner that affects clotting and can cause problems.

I am afraid those fish in containers do help, but not enough. I had a couple of fish ponds. But still had mosquito problems, finally got rid of the ponds and the mosquito problem abated somewhat.

Chemicals--bad idea. Suggest mosquito netting, screens etc.

You people talk about chemicals and all the other crap. The answer to the infestation problem is quite clear yet many of you have a need to find other excuses to explain it away more or less.

Any standing water regardless where it may be breeds mosquitoes. If you keep your area clean and get rid of the water ponds or standing water including inside the thai homes, you basically win half the battle. Once the water is taken care of, the mosquitoes will be fewer and there will be less chances of catching dengue.

Thai people love to have water all over the place even putting water on the street to keep out the so called dust. So it doesn't take an idiot to see and to figure that all out and understand why many people get bitten let alone get dengue.

Daveyo

Yes, getting rid of standing water is great, but it the outer area of BKK where I live, we have an elevated roadway that is like a lake underneath. I mean KMs of stagnant standing water. Unfortunately, the light breeze blows the mosquitoes our direction--in droves.

My place is screened so it's not such a big problem for me, but I still end up batting a lot of them before going to bed--using one of those electric fly swatters.

Dengue cases soar in North-East

Nakhon Ratchasima public health officials yesterday warned the number of dengue haemorrhagic fever cases in the province had increased dramatically this year.

Deputy public health director Dr Waranyu Sattayawongthip said so far this year the number of dengue haemorrhagic fever cases in the province was three times higher than last year.

He said 134 patients have been treated but no fatalities reported. Sikhiu, Dan Khun Thot, Non Thai, Chakkarat, and Non Sung districts were found to have recorded the most cases.

The public health office has ordered all public health units to co-operate with local authorities to help prevent the disease by spraying insecticide to kill mosquitoes, and intensifying the campaign to kill mosquito larvae.

Si Sa Ket province has recorded the highest number of cases overall with figures showing 274 people affected by the fever and one recorded death between January 1 and May 12, said the province’s public health director Dr Pravi Amphan.

Si Sa Ket education zone director Kowit Plenchit said he had ordered schools, especially those located near the Cambodian border, to ensure that water containers were larvae-free, and urged students to kill larvae found around their homes.

In the northern province of Phichit, a 12-year-old boy, Anusak Butrtichote, was admitted to Phichit Hospital yesterday with dengue-like symptoms. Sources said doctors were keeping the boy under close watch.

--The Nation 2005-05-16

Thailand moves head off dengue epidemic 

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Public Health Ministry on Friday announced a week-long mosquito eradication campaign in a bid to head off major outbreak of dengue fever over the next three months.

So far this year, the ministry said  7,215 had contracted the disease nationwide with 12 confirmed deaths. The latest victim was a young boy from Bangkok who died on Wednesday.

Health Minister Dr. Suchai Charoenratanakul told a media conference here that the eradication campaign, beginning in Bangkok on May 22,  was aimed at preventing an epidemic of the mosquito-borne disease during the high-risk, rainy season months between June and August.

''Disease control squads must be sent in right away to every infected area...even if there has only been one case reported.  Chemical sprays should  be used and litter removed,''  the minister said.

There will also be a dengue awareness campaign conducted in schools across the country when the new semester starts next week. Children are among those at greatest risk from the disease.

--TNA 2005-05-13

''Disease control squads must be sent in right away to every infected area...even if there has only been one case reported. Chemical sprays should be used and litter removed,'' the minister said.

Yeah, easier said than done :o.

"There will also be a dengue awareness campaign conducted in schools across the country when the new semester starts next week. Children are among those at greatest risk from the disease"

Campaign should be across country, not just schools. Populations are at risk, if no proper control are enforced.