Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Mobile Phone Registration Rate Meets Expectations

george

Mobile phone registration rate meets expectations

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Information, Communications and Technology (ICT) has expressed satisfaction that 150,000 mobile phone users, out of the country’s 22 million, have registered under the new government security regulation.

The rate of registration on Friday, the first day pre-paid mobile phone users were compelled to register, met the intended target, Vice Minister for ICT Minister Kanawat Wisinsangworn told TNA on Friday.

Registration became compulsory on 1 July.

Previously Thais could freely buy pre-paid vouchers without identification.

The government saw this as a loophole in national security because many suspected insurgents in Thailand's southern border provinces have used mobile phone signals to trigger their bombs.

The ICT Ministry hopes to register three million users a month.

However, the authorities believe that only 18 million of the 22 million mobile phone users are bona fide users.

All of them should register within the next six months, said Mr. Kanawat.

--TNA 2005-07-03

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mobile phone registration rate meets expectations 

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Information, Communications and Technology (ICT) has expressed satisfaction that 150,000 mobile phone users, out of the country’s 22 million, have registered under the new government security regulation.

The rate of registration on Friday, the first day pre-paid mobile phone users were compelled to register, met the intended target, Vice Minister for ICT Minister Kanawat Wisinsangworn told TNA on Friday.

Registration became compulsory on 1 July.

Previously Thais could freely buy pre-paid vouchers without identification.

The government saw this as a loophole in national security because many suspected insurgents in Thailand's southern border provinces have used mobile phone signals to trigger their bombs.

The ICT Ministry hopes to register three million users a month.

However, the authorities believe that only 18 million of the 22 million mobile phone users are bona fide users.

All of them should register within the next six months, said Mr. Kanawat.

--TNA 2005-07-03

The other 4 million non bona fide users will all be foriegners. :o

QUOTE:

The Ministry of Information, Communications and Technology (ICT) has expressed satisfaction that 150,000 mobile phone users, out of the country’s 22 million, have registered under the new government security regulation.

UNQUOTE

Easily pleased, then. Only another 21,850,000 to go.....................

It is a complete waste of our time and gov't money., but the gov't cannot admit that.......

That would result in a Big loss of FACE. :o

There is nothing to stop the Moslem <snip> from using a stolen mobile within hours of the theft for bomb making.

Edited by george

Forcing dozens of million to register because they heard about a muslim triggering bombs by cellphone??? Even so, these kind of guys are a LIVING bomb and the government makes them an honor to advertise. Does it matter what his name is while having a bomb planted on his chest? This is non-sense, the only reason is because they want to take over control of communication and have people's cellphone listened, it's the same as everywhere...too bad now it's happening in Thailand too

:o

Learn to password lock access to your phone. It will protect you if your phone gets stolen and someone chooses to use it in an illegal manner.

Register your SIMM (Passport or ID required). It's not a big deal and ultimately makes abuse of mobile phones traceable.

I'm leaving next month so ultimately I'm not affected. You have till the new year to register.

:D

I have an unregistered 12-call sim. I would have expected to get text messages from them, telling me that I needed to register, and what will happen if I don't. (Will anything actually happen if I don't?) So far nothing. Has anybody been contacted by thier service provider, informing of the need to register?

Forcing dozens of million to register because they heard about a muslim triggering bombs by cellphone??? Even so, these kind of guys are a LIVING bomb and the government makes them an honor to advertise. Does it matter what his name is while having a bomb planted on his chest? This is non-sense, the only reason is because they want to take over control of communication and have people's cellphone listened, it's the same as everywhere...too bad now it's happening in Thailand too

Everyone is registered here in the staes who has a mobile phone . I think that its a good idea but will not be enforced ever in thailand

Everyone is registered here in the states who has a mobile phone . I think that its a good idea but will not be enforced ever in thailand

:D What States might those be and in which country, Malaysia? :D

Surely you didn't mean the United States (USA). Which might like to be a police state but lacks the requisite (present) leadership

Anyway..now that Intelligence sources have decided to hamper tourism even more (perhaps registering at the bar for a drink will be next), then I suppose next to be registered will be the radio controlled toys :o:D but I don't suppose intelligence has factored in say...walkie talkies...? Just curious

:D:D

Everyone is registered here in the states who has a mobile phone . I think that its a good idea but will not be enforced ever in thailand

:o What States might those be and in which country, Malaysia? :D

Surely you didn't mean the United States (USA). Which might like to be a police state but lacks the requisite (present) leadership

Did I miss something here and this is really an "I hate the USA forum". Why is it that people feel compelled to make negative comments every time someone so much as mentions the USA?

Aparently ###bags is a very, very naughty word.

I'll now have to wash my keyboard out with soap & water.....

Be warned :o

LOL

George,

with respect, let me tell you a little secret!

RATBAGS is a common word in the English language and has never been regarded as a swear word........ ever.

My old Dragon is 86 and never used a swear word in her long life, but she refers to Moslem extremists as ratbags.

If English is not your native tongue, why not check out words you are not familiar with with the Aussie or Pommie mods before censoring words you are not familiar with?

Without looking them up, do you know what a dill or a drongo or a boofhead is?

Have a nice day :D

Edited by udon

I went into a phone shop in Pattaya Tai the other day to buy a new 1 2 Call sim

The guy asked for my Passport.

I told him I only had my Thai Driver's License.

He accepted that as sufficient proof of ID..and filled out the appropriate form.

It's a pain in the bum to muck about with a passport (Lazy buggar)

I guess it may depend on who has read the Govt requirement for registering..and indeed..what the requirement is