Thai Alcohol Tax Rised To 4,000 Percent!

george

Higher excises on liquors approved

mekhong.jpg

PHANG-NGA: -- The Cabinet resolved today (Tuesday) to slap a higher excise tax on high-alcohol content distilled liquors, while maintaining the excise taxes on other categories of alcoholic drinks including beer and wines.

The higher taxes will take effect immediately.

"The government's focus (in restructuring the alcohol excise tax structure) is to curb alcohol consumption. This change is enough to achieve the goal in slashing consumption and raising tax income," said PM's Office deputy spokesman Chalermchai Mahagitsiri said.

Four types of distilled liquors are subject to the change - special blend, brandy, whisky and others. So far, they had been subjected to a range of 3550 per cent of market price or Bt240 per litre of alcohol content. The new rate is 4050 per cent or Bt400 per litre, whichever is higher.

--The Nation 2005-09-07

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PHANG-NGA: -- The Cabinet resolved today (Tuesday) to slap a higher excise tax on high-alcohol content distilled liquors, while maintaining the excise taxes on other categories of alcoholic drinks including beer and wines.

=========================================

I'm thinking some US politicians infiltrated the Thai Government, cause all they know how to do is tax more.....................DJM

In my wife´s village they brew anyways their own booze of rice.

They´ll only bootleg more.Unclean alcohol will worsen the situations for the poor.Smuggling will increase and strengthen financial power of the mafia.

A prohibition never solved problems either.

They´ll only bootleg more.Unclean alcohol will worsen the situations for the poor.Smuggling will increase and strengthen financial power of the mafia.

I drunk some moonshine during new years.. ooo potent stuff, sweet but lethal

totster :o

Don't drink it anyway !!        :D

Neither do I, but Thai(s) sure do. This isnt going to go over quite well me thinks. :D

It's sad really, what with the fuel and now the spirits ( which is also fuel for most isaan famers ) :D

Horrible stuff. Will not be welcomed by many Thai drinkers. I wonder what effect it will have on the tourist industry? :o Pattaya, Patong etc

Will it encourage the illegal production of spirits for sale on the black market to be consumed by Thais who can ill afford the new prices :D

This increase is so outlandish that I would not be surprised if it was implemented by those "influential" characters who stand to benefit the most by selling bootleg whiskey. Another really insane decision by Toxin that will only lead to no good and more suffering amongst the lower classses.

Horrible stuff. Will not be welcomed by many Thai drinkers. I wonder what effect it will have on the tourist industry? :o Pattaya, Patong etc

Will it encourage the illegal production of spirits for sale on the black market to be consumed by Thais who can ill afford the new prices :D

The tourists will just soak up the extra cost (in more ways than one)... it's the poor thais at the bottom that will suffer..

totster :D

The tourists will just soak up the extra cost (in more ways than one)... it's the poor thais at the bottom that will suffer..

totster :D

You know , i thought the acholhol was expensive before . Its the same as here in the U.S. now it might be more . Sorry i was talking about beer , now the good stuff stuff like Sangsom will be more.

"The government's focus (in restructuring the alcohol excise tax structure) is to curb alcohol consumption. This change is enough to achieve the goal in slashing consumption and raising tax income," said PM's Office deputy spokesman Chalermchai Mahagitsiri said.

Four types of distilled liquors are subject to the change - special blend, brandy, whisky and others. So far, they had been subjected to a range of 3550 per cent of market price or Bt240 per litre of alcohol content. The new rate is 4050 per cent or Bt400 per litre, whichever is higher.

--The Nation 2005-09-07

cant be per cent must be per mil

So far, they had been subjected to a range of 3550 per cent of market price or Bt240 per litre of alcohol content. The new rate is 4050 per cent or Bt400 per litre, whichever is higher.

I do not know how much that bottle of Mekong in the picture costs but let’s say it is 600 Baht.

Market price = 600 Baht

Excise tax = 4050% = 600*4050/100 = 24,300 Baht

Or do I have to go back to school to learn percent calculations?

Edited by maestro

I'm thinking some US politicians infiltrated the Thai Government, cause all they know how to do is tax more.....................DJM

Although I can't think of many politicos who don't like to tax, but why single out the US politicos? I believe tax rates are much higher in Europe on income and consumption taxes (such as the incredible taxes on petrol)

And I don't care what they charge for the whiskey, I'm not gonna drink it anyway. I'm a confirmed beero.

The labour government in the UK can do much better. They put tax on the tax but just give it another name.

Isn’t Thailand doing the same already? 7% sales tax (value added tax) on the excise tax included in the retail price of alcoholic beverages, petrol, tobacco products, etc.

from a current UK guy, soon to be expat residing in LOS and running a cafe/bar to boot (doh!) does anyone have some clarity here? For example, a bottle of 100 Pipers currently running to 300 thb?

The government here (UK) screw us everyway they can with 17.5% VAT plus a tax of around 70% (I'm guessing a bit here) on alcohol at source. Whatever, it's gonna hit the poorer locals and I would be interested if anyone has done some sums. BTW, just got back from the pub where I pay £2.50 (185thb) a pint! Good beer though! ;-)

Petrol Stations May Close Earlier

sriracha john Posted on: Today, 2005-09-07 04:07:32

mandatory closing of the stations at 8:00....

mandatory lights out at 8:30...

mandatory everyone asleep by 8:45...

makes for a nice, peaceful, and well-rested nation.

and...

mandatory NO alcohol drinking....

makes for an even nicer, more peaceful, and well-rested nation...