Tattoo

howler

Hello all,

This probably will be moved, but as far as I can see, this is the place with the most knoweldgable people.

I have been to Thailand a few times and am still amazed by the number of tattoo's. Everyone from elders to youngsters....monks to bar girls seem to have tattoo's. I have a few myself (got the first one over 20 years ago), but can and do attend any social or business function without anyone being the wiser.

My question is: there is a tattoo that I seem to see everywhere, often placed in very prominant locations of the body. It is the 8 pointed star, with alternating dark and light sections. I was just wondering if anyone here knows of its meaning. I have searched for "tattoo" and havent found what I am looking for. For such a popular design, I figured it would have a meaning, and that meaning would be easy to find. Obviously I was wrong. Any help with the meaning, or where I might find some info would be great.

Thanks,

Howler

Hello all,

This probably will be moved, but as far as I can see, this is the place with the most knoweldgable people.

I have been to Thailand a few times and am still amazed by the number of tattoo's. Everyone from elders to youngsters....monks to bar girls seem to have tattoo's. I have a few myself (got the first one over 20 years ago), but can and do attend any social or business function without anyone being the wiser.

My question is: there is a tattoo that I seem to see everywhere, often placed in very prominant locations of the body. It is the 8 pointed star, with alternating dark and light sections. I was just wondering if anyone here knows of its meaning. I have searched for "tattoo" and havent found what I am looking for. For such a popular design, I figured it would have a meaning, and that meaning would be easy to find. Obviously I was wrong. Any help with the meaning, or where I might find some info would be great.

Thanks,

Howler

I know a bit about traditional Thai tatoos - สักยันต์ ([L]sak [M]yan) - and it sounds like you're talking about the ยันต์แปดทิศ ([M]yan [L]paet [H]thit) or 'eight-direction yantra'. The base of each point is usually a stylised Buddha image while other details consist of old Khmer-script letters that are short one-syllable 'seeds' representing longer lines from Buddhist scripture. The eight directions refer to both the eight points of the compass and the noble eightfold path, a list of attainments or practices (depending on how you define the concept) in Theravada Buddhism.

I've seen several variations on the ยันต์แปดทิศ, depending on the artist. It's usually placed in the centre of the back though in modern tattooing you may see miniature versions on the upper arms or shoulders. A friend had a huge one tattooed on his back recently by a tattoo artist in Mae Hong Son.

Thanks guys, your info was great. the tattoos you speak of (I have seen) and are very elaborate. The one I'm talking about is more of a common mans tattoo. It must be a "laymans" take on the Yantra. I have seen these on shoulders, backs and even the backs of hands. Any other ideas?

Thanks guys, your info was great. the tattoos you speak of (I have seen) and are very elaborate. The one I'm talking about is more of a common mans tattoo. It must be a "laymans" take on the Yantra. I have seen these on shoulders, backs and even the backs of hands. Any other ideas?

Perhaps you could draw the tatoo in your favorite paint program and post the picture here. Kind of interested in what you are talking about.

Perhaps you could draw the tatoo in your favorite paint program and post the picture here. Kind of interested in what you are talking about.

Here it is

post-22330-1129139090_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have gotten a thai tatoo, from a former monk, it took a lot of trouble to do. I had to bring a big list of things to bring, som, insense, lao, cigars, and other items.

I had to say prayers, and have blessings done, then the tatoo was made with a 2 foot stick, then more prayers.

My tatoo is the same as on the back of many buddha pendants representing signs for good luck.

Here it is

This is not a traditional Thai tattoo, as far as I can tell. It's not the one I described, which is much more elaborate. I don't think this tattoo has any particular meaning (not a traditional or general meaning, that is, might mean something to the person who chooses it).

Here it is

Looks like a compass rose to me, a rather common tattoo among sailors worldwide.