Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Crv, Ford Escape Or Fortuner?

Fore Man

I live in Mae Rim (Chiang Mai). I am trying to decide on which SUV to buy in Thailand. Already drive a 2004 Camry and love it, but we need a second set of wheels and are inclined to go for a SUV. We have ltest drove all three SUVs and are a bit put off by the diesel racket and stiff suspension of the Toyota. But we respect the brand. I'd like to hear from owners of all three vehicles and get their thoughts and advice. Price is not a big discriminator, nor is resale value, but overall build quality, reliability, and getting good dealer service is important to us.

Edited by skyman

I've owned 2 Hondas in the US......still have an Accord V6 I love. Never had any real problems with either Honda.

I recently went to the Honda dealership here in Udon Thani. Was surprised at the high price of the CRV. I never thought about owning a diesel because of the noise.....but I test drove the Fortuner. I was surprised....to me the Fortuner was not loud at all. In fact with the A/C on not noticeable. Between the gas companies and Thai government there seems to be never-ending problems concerning the gas available (see other threads) so I will buy the Fortuner oil-burner and not have to worry about getting fuel compatible with the engine.

Can't go wrong however with the CRV.....a great car should last forever like the Toyota. I don't know anything about the Ford.

Another thought.......the diesel is a simpler engine....I want a vehicle I can rely on to start and get me where I want to go.

Edit: Just realized you wanted input from 'owners' not just 'tire kickers' like me.....sorry. :o

Edited by LoveDaBlues

I am driving a Honda CRV for 3 years and tested lately the Fortuner. What a difference. The very stiff suspension and the high fuel consumption of the Fortuner is a surprise. I stick to my Benz styled suspension of the Honda CRV and the top service of Honda :o .

I am a proud owner of Toyota Fortuner 2.7, though the car is a little thirsty but the car is fantastic, especially driving uphill and on off road condition. The suspension is a little stiff because the car all wheel drive and design for off road.

Thanks to all respondents....I appreciate your advice and experiences, and I will probably go with the smaller, more nimble CRV, despite it costing THB 150K more than the Fortuner. I like the Toyota's looks and brand reputation, but just can't go with the truck-like suspension. We don't intend to do much off-roading here in Chiang Mai.

Edited by skyman

Oh have you already decided?

Well my sister owns a CRV, and I own a Fortuner. The CRV consumes much more fuel than the Fortuner...alot more! Dont be mistaken by the suspension of the Fortuner. Its not the same as the Toyota Vigo truck. But it is a bit rigid due to the size and weight. I had my suspension changed for 45,000 Baht at TRD.

As for reliability, both are fine!!!

Cheers

Oh have you already decided?

Well my sister owns a CRV, and I own a Fortuner.  The CRV consumes much more fuel than the Fortuner...alot more!  Dont be mistaken by the suspension of the Fortuner.  Its not the same as the Toyota Vigo truck.  But it is a bit rigid due to the size and weight.  I had my suspension changed for 45,000 Baht at TRD.

As for reliability, both are fine!!!

Cheers

Out of interest what did TRD do for 45K? Cheers.

With a new Civic out in showrooms it's a matter of months before new CRV will be out as well since they share the same platform and Honda is dying to get it's market share back from Ford Escape.

Also CRV comes with two engine choices - 2 and 2.4l. 2l is the one that is too small and so very thirsty, 2.4 is much better but cost a lot more.

With Fortuner you get a lot more of a car for the same money - big size seven seater, and it's likely to get less thirsty 2wd version pretty soon, too.

Have you considered Nissan's what's it's name?

Well I did alot of things to my Fortuner. Im the dealer for Brembo (brakes in Thailand, so I had instaled 8 piston calipers with 365mm disks. With this modification I had my wheels changed for Lenso 20inches. If you do change your wheels, and you still use Toyota's standard brakes, you are going to have problems like that guy in the newspaper. His pad brakes started craking! Ofcourse, how can you put 22 inch wheels and those small standard calipers. This, Toyota shouldn't have warranty on that guy. Some people do modification in the wrong way.

Then I had them put skirts all around the Fortuner, looks great! The front grill and the air intake is in real carbon. Then to lower and make a smoother ride (due 20inch wheels) is always better to change the suspensions. And then small other things inside the car.

What I never do modify, is the engine! I had this done same to my Isuzu Dmax before...20inch wheels and 4piston caliper brakes.

Doing this kind of modification you increase the safety.....way much better braking, smooth riding, and good grip! I wont need any warranty from Toyota. I think you need not worry! Cheers....

I will post some pics as soon as I can!!!

You may put discs on the rear too. It is possible!!! But I wouldn't reccomand it. Because, the standard brake pump is way to small to pump oil to all 4 calipers!!! If you do that modification, make sure you change to a bigger pump!

Lumps and Bumbs??? Well, I chose the right series for Thai roads...............

265/50/20. As you can see the series is 50 the thickness of the tyre...soft and confy and with suspensions..better. Some people, to make it look better........

285/35/20..this will be a bumpy ride and hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to buy a large SUV like Gwagon, Isuzu or Toyota. Then I thought about parking and the little sois up here in Chiangmai. Ridiculous. A friend of mine has to do a three pointer to get out of his very reasonably sized drive.

Three friends all recommended Suzuki Vitara, owned for seventeen years between them.

I got one and couldn't be happier, on or off road, and I do a lot of really bad tracks, may of which are also narrow by the way.

I'm 6 ft 3 1/2 in and have a ton of headroom compared to my Isuzu friend....and a nice big windscreen not raked right back like the bigger SUVs so it feels small inside.

In other words, smaller is bigger, and easier and perfectly comfortable in this case...and I'm an ex Jaguar owner.

Great & very civilized dealer here in CM.

BTW I believe CRV suspension could be higher.

Good Luck

I got an Escape. Its thirsty as hel_l, but then again i do have a lead foot. I usually get around 350km to a full tank of gasohol. This car has a small tank too, thats another small gripe.

I just dont like the looks of the CRV, and as said above its due for an overhaul in the coming months anyway. If the new Civic is anything to go by, it should look great.

The fortuner is just too big for my liking.

We get great service down at the Ford dealers too. Even the Service manager Spen tries his best to speak English, a rarity i believe.

• 3 weeks later...
I will post some pics as soon as I can!!!

You may put discs on the rear too.  It is possible!!!  But I wouldn't reccomand it.  Because, the standard brake pump is way to small to pump oil to all 4 calipers!!!  If you do that modification, make sure you change to a bigger pump!

Lumps and Bumbs???  Well, I chose the right series for Thai roads...............

265/50/20.  As you can see the series is 50 the thickness of the tyre...soft and confy and with suspensions..better.  Some people, to make it look better........

285/35/20..this will be a bumpy ride and hard.

Emilio,

If it is possible can you tell me where you got all this done as i am due back to LOS next week and my new Fortuner is waiting for me :o

I have seen i nice set of Lenso 20" wheels to fit but read your piece on the brake problems involved. I would like to upgrade to the Brembo discs as i had a set fitted on my Lancia Integrale back in the UK and they were excellent at stopping that beast!

You mentioned that you are the in country Brembo supplier so do you have your own workshop?

This is my Fortuner!

Emilio,

Very Nice Motor. I don't think i will go as far as the skirts but the wheels certainly look good. Once i have picked up my new toy i will send you a personal mail to let you know what i would like done and to find out where your located.

• 2 years later...
Well I did alot of things to my Fortuner. Im the dealer for Brembo (brakes in Thailand, so I had instaled 8 piston calipers with 365mm disks. With this modification I had my wheels changed for Lenso 20inches. If you do change your wheels, and you still use Toyota's standard brakes, you are going to have problems like that guy in the newspaper. His pad brakes started craking! Ofcourse, how can you put 22 inch wheels and those small standard calipers. This, Toyota shouldn't have warranty on that guy. Some people do modification in the wrong way.

Then I had them put skirts all around the Fortuner, looks great! The front grill and the air intake is in real carbon. Then to lower and make a smoother ride (due 20inch wheels) is always better to change the suspensions. And then small other things inside the car.

What I never do modify, is the engine! I had this done same to my Isuzu Dmax before...20inch wheels and 4piston caliper brakes.

Doing this kind of modification you increase the safety.....way much better braking, smooth riding, and good grip! I wont need any warranty from Toyota. I think you need not worry! Cheers....

hi , i am going to thailand bangkok soon and i am looking to buy some brembo rotors or calipers for my mitsubishi lancer CS 3 . Do you have them in stock ???

I owned a Fortuner 2.7 for 3 years now and I like the performance when going uphill and off road, its a little thirsty though, but remember any SUVs with full time 4 wheel drive and same capacity (or lower) consumption will be around there. No SUV in the market that is low in consumption. :o

I have had my CRV now since the beginning of November and have driven 15k. It drives like a car, handles like one and the 2.4i is fast and responsive. The interior is of a very high quality and has lots of nice features like electric drivers seat, dual climate control and automatic lights and wipers.

It still feels brand new and my clients (most of whom are wealthy) always comment on how nice the CRV is when i collect them from the airport. I didn't go with the Fortuner as I thought the interior poor but i love the exterior.

Petrol consumption is not fantastic but it is not terrible either. I feel comfortable and very safe and would buy it again. If you don't need 7 seats and can go the extra 100K then the CRV is well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a fortuner, had it for 3 yrs. until today sunday. I have never had a problem! its a flying machine done nearly 70k. great on corners and great at speed over the rough! one thing when I was thinking of upgrading to disc's all round went to A&T autos Phetchabun. He had done his but suggested an extra airtank for the braking system! he fitted it and put top quality pads on the front discs. Told me if it didnt feel good, money back. Well I get 30% more brake power and am very very pleased. ABS and brakes work very well and no front dip! The cost 18months ago 2000baht.

Still running on orginal tyres, and no lose of grip. Travel 100ks to work and back everyday and has the are rebuilding the 21 between Phetchabun and Lomsak, I travel on all road conditions at between 100 and 130 ks. The car performs well, accelation to tops, steering spot on, braking excellant in all weathers.

Alas fuel consumation ugh! But to use the wifes Jazz, I would have to drive slower and would not feel so safe!

Alas today, starter motor problem, phoned Toyota coming out and hopefully its a warrenty thing?

ITs a Fortuner exclusive 3lt auto. (I think I love it more than the wife 'cause she breaks down all the time over something! LOL)

Attached thumbnail(s) img-resized.png Reduced 69%post-58901-1215320968_thumb.jpg 640 x 480 (65.38K)//

I have a fortuner, had it for 3 yrs. until today sunday. I have never had a problem! its a flying machine done nearly 70k. great on corners and great at speed over the rough! one thing when I was thinking of upgrading to disc's all round went to A&T autos Phetchabun. He had done his but suggested an extra airtank for the braking system! he fitted it and put top quality pads on the front discs. Told me if it didnt feel good, money back. Well I get 30% more brake power and am very very pleased. ABS and brakes work very well and no front dip! The cost 18months ago 2000baht.

Still running on orginal tyres, and no lose of grip. Travel 100ks to work and back everyday and has the are rebuilding the 21 between Phetchabun and Lomsak, I travel on all road conditions at between 100 and 130 ks. The car performs well, accelation to tops, steering spot on, braking excellant in all weathers.

Alas fuel consumation ugh! But to use the wifes Jazz, I would have to drive slower and would not feel so safe!

Alas today, starter motor problem, phoned Toyota coming out and hopefully its a warrenty thing?

ITs a Fortuner exclusive 3lt auto. (I think I love it more than the wife 'cause she breaks down all the time over something! LOL)

Attached thumbnail(s) img-resized.png Reduced 69%post-58901-1215320968_thumb.jpg 640 x 480 (65.38K)//

Sorry thats not how I wrote it, The spelling etc, must switch off the auto spell thingy LOL