The Son Of Norwegian Diplomat Arrested In Thailand

george

The son of Norwegian diplomat arrested in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- The son of a top ranking Norwegian diplomat has been arrrested in Thailand for allegedly having insulted a princess of the country's Royal Family. He may now face a long prison term.

To insult a member of the Royal Family is considered a major offence in Thailand

The man, in his 30s, is also charged with breaking the immigration laws, when he travelled to Thailand without the proper travel documents, VG writes.

He is not allowed to leave Thailand until his case has been brought before the court, according to the paper.

--NRK, Norway 2006-02-21

Diplomat's son jailed for offending Thai royalty

The adult son of a Norwegian diplomat faces a lengthy term in a Thai prison, after being charged for speaking negatively about the Thai royal family and violating visa rules. It's strictly forbidden to criticize the royals in Thailand.

"We Thais have deep respect for the royal family," Thailand's ambassador to Norway, Chitriya Pinthong, told newspaper VG on Tuesday. The ambassador noted that a chapter of the Thai penal code regulates the prohibition against making derogatory remarks about Thailand's head of state or members of the royal family.

Thailand's ambassador declined to comment further on the case, because it's now under the jurisdiction of the Thai court system. A spokeswoman for the Norwegian Foreign Ministry was also reluctant to speak about the case, saying it was "a consular matter, on which we don't want to comment."

Norway's embassy in Bangkok confirmed that it had been involved in the case, but wouldn't offer details. Arne Lundby of the embassy told VG that "in Thailand, you're breaking the law if you speak negatively about, or in another way offend, members of the royal family."

VG reported that the alleged offense, according to Thai authorities, occurred at a gathering in Thailand last spring, at which both the diplomat's son and a Thai princess were present. The nature of the offense wasn't revealed.

The Norwegian man was charged last year and taken into custody, but he was released from jail after posting bail. He no longer has a diplomatic passport and his travel documents have been seized, as he's been prohibited from leaving the country while his court case is pending.

His diplomat father wasn't identified, but he reportedly is not attached to the Norwegian embassy in Bangkok.

Aftenposten English Web Desk

Nina Berglund

What a <deleted>!!! (one of the few things that will cause a person grief in thailand - and lad did easily) No sympathy - deport/ban.

This proves what a double standard lil' bastard you are....

On the topic of "muslims protesting against cartoons" you stated words to the effect that it is muslims being too sensitive over nothing

yet

when the shoe is on the other foot - its a case of ban/ deport him?

Just shows what a bigoted, racist, inconsistent little pile of steaming poo you are! :o

Well you've identified yourself as a mental midget - the law is clear in THAILAND, go read it and perhaps we can have a rationale conversation, doubtful, but worth a try. :D

I think Toxin considers himself royalty as well, he throws law suits around at anyone that speaks negatively about him. :o

If what chuchok says is true, and it rings a bell in my head as well, then I wouldn't be surprised if HRH steps in to finish it by a quiet deportation or something.

It would be also nice to know what exactly the Person said.

I'm pretty sure to remember that King Bhumiphol said in his birthday speech,thats it is allowed to criticize the King.

So it would be interresting,if he critiziced or realy insulted a member of the royal family.

But this behavior is in my opinion anyway absolute anoying and very very poor-particular for a probably well educated son of a diplomat.

It would be also nice to know what exactly the Person said.

I'm pretty sure to remember that King Bhumiphol said in his birthday speech,thats it is allowed to criticize the King.

So it would be interresting,if he critiziced or realy insulted a member of the royal family.

But this behavior is in my opinion anyway absolute anoying and very very poor-particular for a probably well educated son of a diplomat.

The King said that what he does is not beyond reproach, and it is not fair that people feel they cannot comment on his actions. It was implied IMHO specifically related to what the King chooses to do.

I love the King, and IMHO he is absolutely awesome in a way I can not even really comprehend.

The King did not comment on the royal family in general.

If it was a personal insult that is another matter.

Let's get this clear, some things within Thailand have repercusions. This is one of them, as our Norwegian may have found out.

Am surprised the Brits commenting on this thread so easily forget the existance and purpose of the Magna Carta.

I also hope that these same members do not critisise any other royal families of the world. You wouldn't want to be hypocrites now, would you?

Edited by Sir Burr

Not a matter of criticism, perhaps everyone in the world should be a faire target. However this isn't the case in Thailand and I deeply respect HRH and the royal family. They are a clear example of what is good in Thailand and worthy of emulation without reproach.

Simply stated criticism of the Royal Family is against the law and there are repercussions to doing so as the Norse lad found out.

Edited by britmaveric

Am surprised the Brits commenting on this thread so easily forget the existance and purpose of the Magna Carta.

I also hope that these same members do not critisise any other royal families of the world. You wouldn't want to be a hypocrites now, would you?

not a Brit, I vaguely remember the Magna Carta, what exactly does it state?

Why would choosing to criticise one family and not another be hypocritical out of interest (not that i do...but if i did?)

not sure I know too many other royal families.... Well, There is the Maori Queen. And Elizabeth.. Is there be more dan dis ler? :o:D

So HRH said it's ok to criticise him, the more I learn about him the more respect I have. But there is a big difference in criticism (constructive) and insults, for insulting the royal family he deserves all he gets.

Edited by sierra01

So HRH said it's ok to criticise him, the more I learn about him the more respect I have. But there is a big difference in criticism (constructive) and insults, for insulting the royal family he deserves all he gets.

If I recall correctly he says it is a hardship because other people have people to criticise them, but he only has his mother to criticise him, and his mother has passed away. how can be develop or how can he know when he is wrong if people are too scared to criticise him? Therefore, people should be willing to criticise him, so he knows how to walk the right path.

Of course, as always, he is so smart and these words were very very carefully chosen, he is of course talking about himself, but also someone else as well. Whether the other person sitting in the front row with his wife, was listening is another matter IMHO!

Very disrespectful from the Norwegian lad.

Consequence that should be given to this individual: deportation + fine.

Very disrespectful? You have no idea what the guy said.

niether do I or anybody here.

A colleague of mine knows this guy pretty well. Without going into too much detail, from the story he told me it appears that this guy did not realise it was the princess and was abusing some police and security personnel when she walked in. He then had a bit of a go at her.

I have met this guy before and he is an absolute muppett. Usually p*ssed on Soi Cowboy acting like the big I am.

Yes, it is disrespectful.

Or what is it, delightful? :o

A colleague of mine knows this guy pretty well. Without going into too much detail, from the story he told me it appears that this guy did not realise it was the princess and was abusing some police and security personnel when she walked in. He then had a bit of a go at her.

I have met this guy before and he is an absolute muppett. Usually p*ssed on Soi Cowboy acting like the big I am.

Good there are consequences to being a <deleted>, regardless of who it might be should act civil. :o

In Thailand, Lese Majeste has most commonly been used as a pretext to deal with political opponents and HRH has issued pardons to sort things out. I also seem to remember reading that the penalties have been made harsher in relatively recent times. I think these are the cases HRH wishes to avoid.

If the young man was indeed insulting he deserves whatever he gets, though I doubt he'll do any time.

The man, in his 30s, is also charged with breaking the immigration laws, when he travelled to Thailand without the proper travel documents, VG writes.

So, how did he get in, if he did not have a valid passport?

I feel sure Norwegians are on the 30 days on arrival list.

It should be noted that the next paragraph of the Thai Penal code

also applies the same penalties to those who insult other Royal Families.

Edited by astral