New Retirement Visa Rules For Married Foreigners

I just returned from renewing my retirement visa at Suan Plu in Bangkok. My wife (USA citizen) and myself (USA citizen) have been doing this for 8 years now. In the past the rule was "the wife follows the husband" and so only 800,000 Baht was needed in a Thai bank account for the couple. Now, the rule is that a foreign national couple must have 1,600,000 Baht in a bank account ... meaning, 800,000 Baht for each person. When I talked to the new manager at Immigration visa section, he said the rule had always been 800,000 per person, married or not, but that the rule had never been applied correctly. So now, 1,600,000 per foreign couples!!!!

Has anyone else had this experience?

Yes, friends of mine, a couple, who applied for retirement last year.

Both had to show the money in bank. Actually, I told them at that time, their agent was wrong, may be me was wrong?

I just returned from renewing my retirement visa at Suan Plu in Bangkok. My wife (USA citizen) and myself (USA citizen) have been doing this for 8 years now. In the past the rule was "the wife follows the husband" and so only 800,000 Baht was needed in a Thai bank account for the couple. Now, the rule is that a foreign national couple must have 1,600,000 Baht in a bank account ... meaning, 800,000 Baht for each person. When I talked to the new manager at Immigration visa section, he said the rule had always been 800,000 per person, married or not, but that the rule had never been applied correctly. So now, 1,600,000 per foreign couples!!!!

Has anyone else had this experience?

What he's telling you is true; it is 800,000 per person, but it does seem that this law is applied differently around the country. My retired friends here in Phuket have a joint bank account and only show whats required for one applicant, made up to a total 800,000 by a bank deposit and income from pensions. So infact they never have a balance of 800,000.

We both have to show bank accounts with 800,00.00 baht in them.They issued my wife the wrong visa in sydney,so they don't fall on the same date.

What he's telling you is true; it is 800,000 per person, but it does seem that this law is applied differently around the country.

Makes sense, 800K baht for each foreigner's visa extension that is required. Makes much less sense to me that the 800K in the bank would qualify one for some sort of group rate (although that may well be the manner in which the law has been enforced).

But, my wife doesn't have a retirment visa, does she?

I have a retirement visa, she has a dependents visa. Does this make a difference?

That should be the case per both Consulate LA web site and Immigration web site information. Dependents should be issued a non immigrant O visa and it would appear it should be extendable. From Immigration retirement requirements page:

In cases of having dependents (husband / wife, children), the applicant must provide evidence indicating their relationship. Evidence must be translated into Thai and be certified by the embassy or consulate of the non-Thai citizens.

So, lopburi3, the OP is wrong in that he does not need two lots of 800,000 baht, one for himself and one for his wife UNLESS they have both applied for retirement visas and not one for a retirement and the other for a dependents visa.

• 4 weeks later...

"In cases of having dependents (husband / wife, children), the applicant must provide evidence indicating their relationship. Evidence must be translated into Thai and be certified by the embassy or consulate of the non-Thai citizens."

My wife has her one year visa in Bangkok waiting for approval. I got my retirement visa, then we went back to Pattaya Immigration, provided all the necessary documents, as well as copies of our joint account bank book and a letter from the bank. But, Immigration did not require any specific amount in our account, as my wife's visa is based on my retirement visa. Her visa, they told us, would have the same expiration date as my visa, so next year we can go in at the same time for our renewal. Our son will come next week and the good people at immigration told us what we will need for his one year visa also. Again they said next year, we all can come down two weeks prior to to the expiry date on the visa to get the ball rolling.

Regards,

Dick