Don Muang Airport Boosts Security After Foiled Bomb Plot In London

george

Don Muang Airport boosts security after foiled bomb plot in London

BANGKOK: -- Local authorities have increased security at Bangkok's international airport, deployed search dogs and urged passengers to minimise carry-on items, following the thwarted terror plot in London, officials said Friday.

Two U.S. airlines, United Airlines and Northwest, have banned passengers from taking any liquids onto the plane, said airport manager Chotisak Aspaviriya.

United Airlines is operated by UAL Corp. (UAUA) and Northwest by Northwest Airlines Corp. (NWACQ).

No irregularities have been reported at Thai airports, and security agencies say there is no information of terrorists targeting Thailand.

"Twenty-five sniffing dogs from the army have been deployed at the Bangkok airport since Thursday night, and 50 security officers and handheld scanners have been added," said airport manager Chotisak Aspaviriya.

Airport officials asked that passengers try to minimize the number of hand-carried items on board the plane.

Thai Airways International Plc has not changed its flight schedule to the United States and Europe, said Suraphol Isaragura na Ayuthaya, Thai Airways International flight operations manager.

Passengers should only carry necessary items, and refrain from taking liquids, gel, and / or electrical appliances, Suraphol said.

--The Nation 2006-08-11

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok-Europe flights continue

BANGKOK: -- There has been no halt in flights from Bangkok to the United Kingdom following a foiled major terrorist plot to blow up aircraft flying from the UK to the United States by police Thursday.

Security measures including restrictions on hand luggage are likely to be in effect on many flights, both to Europe and elsewhere.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said that he believed the terror threat should not spread to Asia, and that it is not necessary now to cancel flights from Bangkok to the UK.

"I have been informed of the foiled terrorist plot in London and have ordered a security beef-up at all international and regional airports in the country," said Mr. Thaksin, "but I consider it's not necessary to cancel flights to the UK at the moment as the terror threat shouldn't spread to Asia.

Police in London said on Thursday they had thwarted the major terrorist plot to blow up aircraft in mid-flight, prompting several countries to have stepped up security at their airports.

Twenty-one people have reportedly been arrested in connection with the foiled plot, all of them British Muslims.

The suspected terrorists reportedly target flights from London, Glasgow and Manchester to the US, the UK police said.

-- TNA 2006-08-11

Transport Minister: bomb plan in England will not cause a delay of opening of Suvarnbhumi Airport

Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal (พงศักดิ์ รักตพงศ์ไพศาล) has affirmed that the plan to bomb aircrafts in England will not postpone the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport, while urging airlines to be more cautious on matters with liquid materials.

Following the interception of the recent terrorism plot in England, Mr. Pongsak has assigned Airports of Thailand to cooperate with Thai Airways in intensifying the transport security measures. He refused to reveal the security plans, but admitted that passengers from Europe may face with some inconvenience during this period. In the meantime, he has requested passengers to arrive at the airport before their flight schedules as the airport has to check all flights before they will be allowed to take off.

He confirmed that this event will not impact on the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport, which is set on September 28th, and the number of flights will not be lessened as well.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 August 2006

Twenty-one people have reportedly been arrested in connection with the foiled plot, all of them British Muslims.

Why cant Britain just put its foot down and say no to anti British British????

If there were people in Thailand who openly hated Thailand and caused damage to Thailand etc the Thais would have no problems giving them the boot. How ridiculous is it that the British have absolutely no power to do the same???? If you don't like the place your living - get out!!!

We are becoming the powerless in our own country.

If there were people in Thailand who openly hated Thailand and caused damage to Thailand etc the Thais would have no problems giving them the boot. How ridiculous is it that the British have absolutely no power to do the same???? If you don't like the place your living - get out!!!

So you are not aware of the problems in the south of Thailand?

Thai Airways intensively checks flights between Britain and Thailand

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has ordered Thai Airways to intensively inspect the arrivals and departures of airlines as well as the baggage of the flights from England to Thailand, following the terrorism plot to blow up United States-bound flights in Heathrow Airport, London.

Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin has reminded officials of Thai Airways to inspect the baggage system comprehensively and cautiously check the arrivals and departures of all flights. Nevertheless, no flights will be canceled as he believes the situation will not aggravate to Thailand or Asian region.

According to the news report, the aircraft bomb plot between Britain and the United States could potentially kill thousands of people, and it would be as tragic as the September 11th terrorism attack.

the trouble is that these people are not known to be anti british until something like this comes along. up until the time suspicions were raised by the fbi and the mi5 the people who were arrested were apparently normal regular people.

there has been a crackdown on "preachers of hate" imams, although i'm sure there are many underground.

but with freedom of speech , human rights and ethnicity legislation as it exists now in europe , it is pretty much impossible to remove people from the uk , especially if they are british citizens !

perhaps airline apartheid should be made mandatory during these troubled times , with caucasian only flights and muslim only flights !!!!

So basically, you're advocating the rescinding of the nationality of natural born citizens?

I suppose you support the Thai government not giving citizenship to 4th and 5th generation Thai-born hilltribespeople?

Perhaps you'd also like to see all Scots. Welsh and Irish repatriated OUT of England?

The UK Government does have laws they can enact, but unlike some countries the UK operates under the premise of innocent until proven guilty, and demands a burden of proof be laid before the judiciary.

Gaz

Personally I think the overall effect of this incident will be beneficial.

1. Duty Free - Why buy duty free items particularly heavy glass bottles of booze to take into the aircraft as carry on baggage when most international airports around the world have excellent arrivals duty free facilities? Most of them are a great deal cheaper than UK Duty Frees anyway.

2. How many times have you been trapped in your seat by the cretin who has insisted on carrying on a huge rucksack and then jamming it in the foot space between their seat and the one in front because it was too big to go in the overhead bin?

3. Businessmen. How necessary is your trip really? We live in an age of fast, secure broadband internet communications. Skype and MSN both provide free (yes FREE) video/telephone conferencing along with whiteboard and fast file transfer facilities. If you are not willing to consign your laptop computer to the dubious security of the aircraft hold then (a) don't take it with you or (:D don't make the journey at all. I'm sure your clients will be delighted not to have to pick up the tab for travel included in your fees! :o

4. What is the necessity of arriving onboard an aircraft clutching a bottle of water or a container of coffee when both are freely available once you have boarded?

The whole concept of having to fly everywhere is ludicrous anyway. As an ex Merchant Navy Officer (passenger ships) whose career was wrecked by the arrival of the Boeing 747, I can't help feel that retribution has come at last albeit a bit late in the day for me.

In the UK I can usually get to any destination by train quicker than by low cost airline. The same goes for many European destinations. F@@k the plane - go by train!

Edited by Xeque

Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin has reminded officials of Thai Airways to inspect the baggage system comprehensively and cautiously check the arrivals and departures of all flights.

:o Does that mean the guy manning the baggage scanner has to be actually awake?

The whole concept of having to fly everywhere is ludicrous anyway. As an ex Merchant Navy Officer (passenger ships) whose career was wrecked by the arrival of the Boeing 747, I can't help feel that retribution has come at last albeit a bit late in the day for me.

In the UK I can usually get to any destination by train quicker than by low cost airline. The same goes for many European destinations. F@@k the plane - go by train!

well , as a miserable old seadog you might be smirking with schadenfreude and doing a jig on the poop deck at the latest news , but millions of people do need to fly , and whilst agreeing with you on large rucksacks and duty free , i have to say that the rest of your post was utter bilge.

Personally I think the overall effect of this incident will be beneficial.

1. Duty Free - Why buy duty free items particularly heavy glass bottles of booze to take into the aircraft as carry on baggage when most international airports around the world have excellent arrivals duty free facilities? Most of them are a great deal cheaper than UK Duty Frees anyway.

2. How many times have you been trapped in your seat by the cretin who has insisted on carrying on a huge rucksack and then jamming it in the foot space between their seat and the one in front because it was too big to go in the overhead bin?

3. Businessmen. How necessary is your trip really? We live in an age of fast, secure broadband internet communications. Skype and MSN both provide free (yes FREE) video/telephone conferencing along with whiteboard and fast file transfer facilities. If you are not willing to consign your laptop computer to the dubious security of the aircraft hold then (a) don't take it with you or (:D don't make the journey at all. I'm sure your clients will be delighted not to have to pick up the tab for travel included in your fees! :o

4. What is the necessity of arriving onboard an aircraft clutching a bottle of water or a container of coffee when both are freely available once you have boarded?

Have you any idea how much it costs to travel by train in the UK ?.

perhaps airline apartheid should be made mandatory during these troubled times , with caucasian only flights and muslim only flights !!!!

Actually this is the sanest proposal i've ever heard ! As i have 2 fly often on business, i do realise this would only be possible on some destinations , but luckily it could work in& out of London, because of huge number of travellers . :o > and as to pre-empt "anti-discriminatory" comments, let me tell you, not being a muslim myself, but knowing their folk very well, like living, doing business with & among them+some of my really good friends are muslims, i'd recon they wouldn't mind as much, as discrimination is The part of their culture 2 the huge extend , like for example non muslims can't even visit the town of Mecca. And also those flights should make good muslims happy, as they could easily implement their own perks, like segregation of men & women, special meals without pork & appropriate entertainament :D .. Great idea ! ! the only question is how/who 'd be in charge to implement it ! ! .. I Really Miss flying before 9/11 :D

Edited by asiaworld

I think its time that Muslims had their own airlines and be restricted from travelling on non-muslim planes. This may sound radical and it probably is BUT I AM SO SICK OF THESE PSYCHO RELIGIOUS BASTARDS creating havoc for the rest of the peaceful population. Better yet, lets help them all find their way to paradise. That seems to be what they desire.

Sorry, I am just venting here in an irrational way. I am just angry. I am not a racist, I am just sick of these scumbags trying this stuff and yet the so-called "good" Muslims themselves not even bothering to police their own.

So basically, you're advocating the rescinding of the nationality of natural born citizens?

I suppose you support the Thai government not giving citizenship to 4th and 5th generation Thai-born hilltribespeople?

Perhaps you'd also like to see all Scots. Welsh and Irish repatriated OUT of England?

The UK Government does have laws they can enact, but unlike some countries the UK operates under the premise of innocent until proven guilty, and demands a burden of proof be laid before the judiciary.

Gaz

Repatriate all Scots, Irish and Welsh out of England ?..............C'mon thats not fair, just put em in detention camps

While I understand what you're getting at, you should be more careful with comparisons like these.

Comparing caucasians with muslims doesn't make sense. Caucasians versus negros, or muslims versus christians, yes. There are caucasian muslims; in fact, most muslims belong to the caucausian race.

The same goes for "arabs and jews". It's muslims and jews. Arabs are not a race, they're an ethnic group.

I am not trying to be politically correct here, I just want to get the facts right.

It's really sick, the chances to see our world by travelling through the air are getting smaller and smaller ..

Not sure I agree. The dic&heads perpetuating these crimes must not be allowed to win. I will travel on regardless, adapt to the new ways of travel. I am getting there, even if some screaming Osama's don't want me too. Don't be afraid, laugh in their face. They like to feel big and important, even though they are spineless and of less worth than a piece of ant poo. Show them they have no ability to change what you do. They may change how we do it, but that's OK, change is not always a bad thing.

Now I need to see how I can travel with cameras and computers in the hold of an airplane. A hassle, but doable.

:o

This is scarry stuff look at what Prof Paul Wilkinson said to Sky today , one of UKs top experienced and respected terror experts says

"I don't think we should in any way underestimate it, it's a significant and serious development and the authorities are right to be responding with exceptional measures."

So surely all Westbound airlines wherever they originate will have to do what UK and US started yesterday and ban all hand luggage except bare essentials. These liquid bombs will bring down those massive airliners we all trip back home on. Hope Thai authorities will act hard & decisively as so many farang come and go from LOS

So CNN is reporting: "Because the plot involved taking liquid explosives aboard planes in carry-ons, passengers at all U.S. and British airports, and those boarding U.S.-bound flights at other international airports, are banned from taking any liquids onto planes."

And then they have the photo of the Security guy dumping a tub of confiscated possibly explosive liquids into a bin in a crowd of people.

Explain that shit to me again?

CIVIL AVIATION ALERT FOR AMERICAN CITIZENS IN THAILAND

CIVIL AVIATION ALERT

1. This public announcement alerts Americans to the Government of the United Kingdom's August 10, 2006 announcement that it has heightened security at all U.K. airports due to the arrest of several terror suspects, who were reportedly planning to place explosives on commercial air flights. Information periodically is updated by the UK Department for Transport ( www.dft.gov.uk) and the British Airport Authority ( www.baa.co.uk). The U.S. Embassy in London also maintains a website at http://london.usembassy.gov. Americans with immediate travel plans into or out of the United Kingdom should contact their respective airlines before traveling to the airport. Due to the delays and flight cancellations, U.S. officials have been cautioned to avoid transiting through U.K. airports at this time. This public announcement expires August 31, 2006.

2. The government of the United Kingdom announced on August 10, 2006 that it has heightened security at all U.K. airports due to the arrest of several terror suspects, who were reportedly planning to place explosives on commercial air flights. As a result of these arrests, the threat level in the UK has been raised to critical, reflecting the belief that an attack may be imminent. In the United States, the Department of Homeland Security has also raised the threat level to high for all commercial flights operating in or coming to the United States. The situation remains fluid and is being covered widely by British and international media. Information periodically is updated by the UK Department for Transport ( www.dft.gov.uk) and the British Airport Authority ( www.baa.co.uk). The U.S. Embassy in London also maintains a website at http://london.usembassy.gov.

3. Americans with immediate travel plans into or out of the United Kingdom should contact their respective airlines before traveling to the airport. Heightened Security in other countries may cause delays in other flights from Europe to the United States. American Citizens are advised to anticipate stringent security measures and cooperate fully with authorities. For the latest travel and safety information, Americans living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor local media and the department's Bureau of Consular Affairs internet website at travel.state.gov. Homeland security website also provides information at www.dhs.gov. Travelers should also check the Transportation Security Administration website at www.tsa.gov.

4. U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, and take the appropriate steps to bolster their personal security. For additional information, please refer to "A Safe Trip Abroad" found at http://travel.state.gov.

5. U.S. government facilities worldwide remain at a heightened state of alert. These facilities may temporarily close or periodically suspend public services to assess their security posture. In those instances, U.S. Embassies and Consulates will make every effort to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. Americans abroad are urged to monitor the local news and maintain contact with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

6. As the department continues to develop information on any potential security threats to U.S. citizens overseas, it shares credible threat information through its consular information program documents, available on the internet at http://travel.state.gov. In addition to information on the internet, travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the U.S. or outside the U.S. and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to this list, go to:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/acsemaillist.htm

The U.S. Embassy Consular Section is located at

95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand (Nearest BTS Skytrain station: Phloen Chit).

American Citizen Services Unit Window Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 - 11 AM and 1 - 2 PM

Note: The ACS unit is CLOSED on the last Friday of every month.

Tel: +66-2-205-4049 Fax: +66-2-205-4103

E-mail: [email protected]

I think its time that Muslims had their own airlines and be restricted from travelling on non-muslim planes. This may sound radical and it probably is BUT I AM SO SICK OF THESE PSYCHO RELIGIOUS BASTARDS creating havoc for the rest of the peaceful population. Better yet, lets help them all find their way to paradise. That seems to be what they desire.

Sorry, I am just venting here in an irrational way. I am just angry. I am not a racist, I am just sick of these scumbags trying this stuff and yet the so-called "good" Muslims themselves not even bothering to police their own.

Talking about generalising, eh? Muslims should be restricted from travelling on non-muslim planes? So by saying this you're actually implying that all muslims are likely to be potential terrorists, are you?

Talking about generalising, eh? Muslims should be restricted from travelling on non-muslim planes? So by saying this you're actually implying that all muslims are likely to be potential terrorists, are you?

This does seem a tad harsh.

A racist or anti religious approach is not the answer.

This has been 000's of years in the making.

Move to New Zealand, quieter there . . .

:o

With a bit of advance planning you'd be surprised how cheap it is to travel by train in the UK. I've done London to Truro return (by night sleeper) for as little as 69 quid during a visit only 2 years ago.

I did not advocate a return to passenger ships for long distance international travel - very few people can afford to spend three weeks getting from (say) the UK to Australia or even 3 days to cross the Atlantic. But you cannot beat the train for price or time on say London to Glasgow, Manchester or Bristol.

As a matter of interest do some research on the net and see how quickly you can reach a holiday destination in Spain or Greece by going overnight on a train. The Greek Islands may include a short ferry trip out of Pireaus - so what? A very pleasant way to start ones holiday I would have thought.

Arrgghhh! 'eave 'o shipmates! :o

Mr. Tavorn: England's possible sabotage is not related with Thailand in any matter

Commander of the Special Branch Police Tavorn Changyim (ถาวร จันทร์ยิ้ม) insisted that the terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US is unrelated to Thailand. However, he has ordered officials to increase security in risk-prone areas, especially in embassies, and airports.

The commander said that he has not received any report related with this terrorist plot in England yet. He has also confirmed that Thailand is not the target of terrorism.

He said that he has considered the details of the matter and is confident that it is unrelated with the unrest situation in the restive South.

I agree with this. I'd pay more to go on a plane with no <snip> on it. Its not racism, its for self-protection.

I mentioned this at work today and everyone said 'ooh no, you can't have that'

But why not? Planes have first and economy classes, segregation already exists.

/Mod Edit - racist comments deleted - please see the Forum Rules.

Edited by Jai Dee