Thai Airways Security For Domestic And Int'l Flights

george

THAI downgrades security vigilance for domestic and int'l flights

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI), the country's national flag carrier, has reduced its tight security measures imposed on passengers of both domestic and international flights, effective from August 16.

Newly-appointed THAI President Flying Officer Apinan Sumanaseni told TNA on Wednesday that passengers of all domestic flights and those of internatinal flights are now allowed to bring their bags and carry-on luggage onto planes--based on the airline's normal rules.

However, the airline's ban on liquid items of all types, lighters and matches onto planes remains intact, except sealed-liquid items bought from airports' authorized duty-free shops with formal receipts and medicines in liquid form essential for any passenger on the flights, with a passenger permitting to bring with them unlimited amount of liquid medicines prescribed by doctors but a limited amount of no more than 4 oz a bottle for unprescribed ones.

Baby milk and liquid baby food are also now permitted on board the planes, but must be tasted by the accompanying passenger in the presence of security officers.

Passengers are allowed as well to carry their electronic and electrical equipment--in good order--and switched-off mobile phones on board the planes.

The relaxed rules also apply to passengers on the Bangkok-the United Kingdom, Bangkok-the United States, Bangkok-Australia, Bangkok-the Philippines, Bangkok-Indonesia and Bangkok-Sri Lanka routes, where security surveilance was raised to the highest level over the past week.

The THAI's move followed announcements by the UK and US governments earlier this week to downgrad their terror threat level from critical to severe, or from the red to orange colour, saying intelligence suggested that there is no renewed imminent attack.

Police in London last Thursday (August 10) thwarted a major terrorist plot to blow up aircraft flying from the UK to the United States in mid-flight.

Twenty-four people have been arrested so far in connection with the foiled plot--reportedly targeted aircraft from London, Glasgow and Manchester to the US.

The THAI president said, however, that passengers on the Bangkok-UK route are permitted to carry only a single bag onto planes.

"The size of their bags should not be larger than 45 x 35 x 16 centimetres if the passengers only make a stop-over at a UK airport before flying to other destinations," he noted.

"Passengers who want to fly from the UK to the US are still barred from carrying any bag or luggage onto the planes, except their purses or wallets with necessary documents," he added.

Those flying from Bangkok to the US are also required to report their belongings in luggage to the airline's ground staff who are authorized to request a thorough inspection in suspected cases or ban specific items as part of its precautious measures, according to Flg. Off. Apinan.

--TNA 2006-08-17

THAI tightens security on flights

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI) has announced more stringent security measures following the uncovering of a supposedly Al Qaeda-led terrorist plot to detonate liquid-based explosives on flights between Britain and the US.

Somchainuk Engtrakul, Chairman of the THAI Board, has announced that the airline has tightened security measures for flights to the US and UK, and also to the Philippines, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Australia, as well as for all domestic flights.

Passengers on these routes are now forbidden to take any liquids or gels of any kind on board. These include drinks, shampoo, toothpaste and creams. These articles may, however, be checked in as luggage to be stored in the aircraft baggage hold.

For passengers on international routes, liquid products bought at duty-free shops after clearing immigration will have to be handed over to airline staff at the boarding gate.

The increased measures came into effect on Saturday (August 12). Passengers on all of the international routes with increased security measures are asked to arrive at check-in at least three hours before the flight’s scheduled departure.

For more information, see The THAI announcement here:

http://www.thaiairways.com/About_Thai/News...ess0806_221.htm

--Phuket Gazette 2006-08-17

I checked in to a TG flight on Monday for a flight to Manila, and there was a notice stating that no liquids, pastes, etc. were allowed in carry-on bags for flights to MNL (and several other airports). Since I had intended to take only carry-on, I asked the agent whether this applied to things like toothpaste and shaving cream. Her reply: "yes sir, it does apply to those, but there will be no problem because we are not serious about it".

Huh "Not serious"? That's what she said.

So, I decided to go ahead with carry on. No questions were asked at x-ray screening, and there were no searches or questions asked at the boarding gate.

Does everyone feel safer that Thai airports are on red (orange, whatever) security alerts, but they are "not serious"?

By the way, I travel extremely frequently through BKK, and I have yet to see even a single person's carry on bags searched at the x-ray security area. BKK is an absolute security sieve.

Actually I feel much safer, because we all know that those scanners and annoying security checks are there to give passengers who are afraid a safe feeling. It has very little to do with the real thing. But in your case Bubba I would advise to ask the security to pass the detection port three times! IF it makes you feel good.

I checked in to a TG flight on Monday for a flight to Manila, and there was a notice stating that no liquids, pastes, etc. were allowed in carry-on bags for flights to MNL (and several other airports). Since I had intended to take only carry-on, I asked the agent whether this applied to things like toothpaste and shaving cream. Her reply: "yes sir, it does apply to those, but there will be no problem because we are not serious about it".

Huh "Not serious"? That's what she said.

So, I decided to go ahead with carry on. No questions were asked at x-ray screening, and there were no searches or questions asked at the boarding gate.

Does everyone feel safer that Thai airports are on red (orange, whatever) security alerts, but they are "not serious"?

By the way, I travel extremely frequently through BKK, and I have yet to see even a single person's carry on bags searched at the x-ray security area. BKK is an absolute security sieve.

I might get in troubles with my compatriots but I read in a swiss newspaper about what happened. Regarding increased security measures it said that the 3 airports are waiting for instructions from the governmental authority in charge. Well, that makes me feel save!!! Maybe they'll be ready by the next incident.

I'm sure I would get on board of a TG flight with my toothpaste, shampoo and other necessities. I just don't look like a terrorist nor like a suizide candidate. Not sure about the situation in Bkk airport, but a friend who used to work for an airline at the airport in Zurich told me that the people doing the checks have quite a profound training to distinguish us normal travellers from others. And last but not least the article in the newspaper also said that the best security measures are those who are not made public.

Would you feel safe if the pilot came along dressed in jeans and a t-shirt? You probably would get off the plane. His uniform doesn't make him fly any better. He is not serious about it - you are.

Finally I understand why I was not allowed by Jordan security last DEC in Amann to have my 3 bottles of red wine in my hand luggage on the AMM BKK flight wich were not a trouble from ZRH to AMM.

Finally I understand why I was not allowed by Jordan security last DEC in Amann to have my 3 bottles of red wine in my hand luggage on the AMM BKK flight wich were not a trouble from ZRH to AMM.

What did you do?

Drink it at the security point while they waited................. : :D:D:o

You should think before u post, we have a serious problem. dont be too flippent, maybe you will be on a flight that blows up in mid air. Let the guys do the job, then we all are safer. wine is available almost everywhere, or so I heard.

You should think before u post, we have a serious problem. dont be too flippent, maybe you will be on a flight that blows up in mid air. Let the guys do the job, then we all are safer. wine is available almost everywhere, or so I heard.

Allow me to be selfish. The serious problem so far seems to be very limited to US (flights). Maybe they indeed should start to think about WHY. I don't remember Clinton having had to deal with this much terrrorism. If I have to fly I fly TG and feel reasonably safe. I hope that will remain like that.

Actually I feel much safer, because we all know that those scanners and annoying security checks are there to give passengers who are afraid a safe feeling. It has very little to do with the real thing. But in your case Bubba I would advise to ask the security to pass the detection port three times! IF it makes you feel good.

Just happened upon this subject.

I agree with most comments apart from those from the usual jokers.

Bangkok may not be a prime target but that is besides the point. The security arrangements there appear to be a joke.

Last Sunday morning I checked my wife in for a flight to LHW via Abu Dabi. Unusually, I was more vigilant than I normally would be, perhaps this may have been due to the fact that I was not flying.

During the time standing to check baggage in at the desk, which was at least 30 minutes, I couldan’t help notice and with a degree of rising anger the X-ray machine operator whom I observed for most of this time.

She had absolutely no interest what so ever in what she was doing and only occasionally looked at the screen during her really interesting and intense chat with some of her off duty work colleagues seated near to her.

This pissed me off so much I actually was tempted to approach and say something but I decided not to.

The Civil Aviation Authorities Code of Practise states that all operatives must have both hands on the machine console at all times, that 100% attention must be paid to the passing of objects by the operative at all times and no conversation or talking is to take place during the operatives shift which must be not more than 30 minutes at a time thereafter the operative is relieved.

Furthermore, a random search of passenger and baggage must take place, usually I in every 10.

NONE OF THIS TOOK PLACE DURING MY CHECK IN TIME LAST SUNDAY.

It’s only a matter of time before the boys down South in Yala and Pattani latch on to this very evident gap in security at Bangkok airport. Believe me, it will happen, it’s just a matter of time and when that jet explodes over the Indian Ocean or worse still over London on route from LOS, TAT can kiss their tourist industry good bye.

Let’s hope it’s not one of our Relatives, Nieces or Nephews who are blown to Atoms at 40 thousand feet because of some Poo Ying on an X-ray machine not doing her job professionally and like she was trained to do.

The Terrorist Boys will be looking at easier options after the latest detection by excellent security recently in G.B. and the US.

That’s all I have to say on the matter. Good luck to all, the way things are going, we are all going to need it.

Allow me to be selfish. The serious problem so far seems to be very limited to US (flights). Maybe they indeed should start to think about WHY. I don't remember Clinton having had to deal with this much terrrorism. If I have to fly I fly TG and feel reasonably safe. I hope that will remain like that.

Well you reap what you sow! Well at least we the ordinary punter do, those two lying idiots won't!

Edited by marquess

I'm sitting in the 1st Class lounge in Doha typing this message... in transit to LGW.

Over zealous staff at BKK made me check in ALL my Hand Luggage even though I had bought a new piece fitting the new 50% reduction now in place on UK flights. I explained that the UK rules were relaxed on Monday/Tuesday, but they were having none of it.

I was given two very small clear plastic carrier bags and told politely but firmly if I could not comply, then I would not be able to board the flight.

So there at the check in desk I had to re-pack all my stuff to the bemused looks of all those behind me. Luckily I had anticipated this and had a case within my big case, so the job was done in very quick time. But with a 5 hour connection in Doha, having to pack my clean change of clothes and laptop was not fun. Thank God I've got a Gold Card to get me in to the 1st class lounge, I'd be going crazy right now.

My point is that there seems to be a total confusion over this whole matter. The UK authorities have clearly stated that bags of 45x35x16 cms are now allowed, but no liquids other than prescription medicines and baby milk. Why then was there all the confusion at Don Muang on the afternoon of 17th?!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4795337.stm

This is the link to the BBC's advice on the revised hand baggage rules. Seeing everyone else boarding with the usual ruck sacks and suitcases infuriated me even more. Apparantly only London bound passengers had to endure the plastic bag treatment! :o

I'm sitting in the 1st Class lounge in Doha typing this message... in transit to LGW.

Over zealous staff at BKK made me check in ALL my Hand Luggage even though I had bought a new piece fitting the new 50% reduction now in place on UK flights. I explained that the UK rules were relaxed on Monday/Tuesday, but they were having none of it.

My point is that there seems to be a total confusion over this whole matter. The UK authorities have clearly stated that bags of 45x35x16 cms are now allowed, but no liquids other than prescription medicines and baby milk. Why then was there all the confusion at Don Muang on the afternoon of 17th?!!

Definitely total confusion! We flew Bangkok to Helsinki (Finn Air) and then Helsinki to London Heathrow (British Airways) on the 15th (check-in at 10p.m. on the 14th) and the biggest restriction we encountered was a check that we only had one carry-on bag apiece at the gate in Helsinki. I had made sure we had no 'liquids' and stowed the simple camera in the checked-in luggage, but I'm not sure we'd have had any problems if I hadn't. Mind you, I was sweating about what would happen to my carry-on luggage at Helsinki. However, all the restrictions there seemed to be on US-bound flights.

????? dumn/ Maybe smart marketing ploy!!

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI), the country's national flag carrier, has reduced its tight security measures imposed on passengers of both domestic and international flights, effective from August 16.

Newly-appointed THAI President Flying Officer Apinan Sumanaseni told TNA on Wednesday that passengers of all domestic flights and those of internatinal flights are now allowed to bring their bags and carry-on luggage onto planes--based on the airline's normal rules.

However, the airline's ban on liquid items of all types, lighters and matches onto planes remains intact, except sealed-liquid items bought from airports' authorized duty-free shops with formal receipts and medicines in liquid form essential for any passenger on the flights, with a passenger permitting to bring with them unlimited amount of liquid medicines prescribed by doctors but a limited amount of no more than 4 oz a bottle for unprescribed ones.

Baby milk and liquid baby food are also now permitted on board the planes, but must be tasted by the accompanying passenger in the presence of security officers.

Passengers are allowed as well to carry their electronic and electrical equipment--in good order--and switched-off mobile phones on board the planes.

The relaxed rules also apply to passengers on the Bangkok-the United Kingdom, Bangkok-the United States, Bangkok-Australia, Bangkok-the Philippines, Bangkok-Indonesia and Bangkok-Sri Lanka routes, where security surveilance was raised to the highest level over the past week.

The THAI's move followed announcements by the UK and US governments earlier this week to downgrad their terror threat level from critical to severe, or from the red to orange colour, saying intelligence suggested that there is no renewed imminent attack.

Police in London last Thursday (August 10) thwarted a major terrorist plot to blow up aircraft flying from the UK to the United States in mid-flight.

Twenty-four people have been arrested so far in connection with the foiled plot--reportedly targeted aircraft from London, Glasgow and Manchester to the US.

The THAI president said, however, that passengers on the Bangkok-UK route are permitted to carry only a single bag onto planes.

"The size of their bags should not be larger than 45 x 35 x 16 centimetres if the passengers only make a stop-over at a UK airport before flying to other destinations," he noted.

"Passengers who want to fly from the UK to the US are still barred from carrying any bag or luggage onto the planes, except their purses or wallets with necessary documents," he added.

Those flying from Bangkok to the US are also required to report their belongings in luggage to the airline's ground staff who are authorized to request a thorough inspection in suspected cases or ban specific items as part of its precautious measures, according to Flg. Off. Apinan.

--TNA 2006-08-17

I think they should let people carry more hand baggage onto flights - but make them join a different screening queue to do it!

A clamp down on hand baggage is long overdue. I am sick of seeing people board an aircraft with everything bar the kitchen sink in toe. Business travellers are often the worst with wheelie cases, laptops and suit carriers. It's because they don't want to wait for main baggage at the carousel. Carrying all this crap through screening is what causes all the delays in the first place. Then it takes them half an hour to get sat down while they try and fit it all in an overhead locker, whilst holding up the 150 people behind them.

The reason security screening is ineffective is because they get bored looking through all the tons of cr*p passengers drag around with them. Travelling with children aside, all you really need is a good book.

Rant over. I will now go and calm down.

what tripe - 9/11 was planned well before Bush's inauguration, so that argument flies out the window (if you will excuse the pun)

it has been like that for years and BKK airport is still one of the safest one. is the act of terrorism is really a treat? if yes then i do believe the HAT YAI airport should have been blown up years ago. the security there is even worse than BKK. how many of the security officer / personnel do believe the act of terrorism is really a treat.

--------------

While flying to the US nearly a year ago, I had my carry on bag searched and my suitcase. This was at the check in counter (actually near by). I and my bags were taken to a little "box" room with hospital type curtains and they asked me to open both bags and went through them. I had a present (which was wrapped) that may have raised suspicions. They were quite thorough, quite polite and quite fast. They were rather effecient as well, which leads me to believe they have were not new at this sort of thing.

It took less time than to check in the person who was behind me.

I am sure there are security lapses in BKK, however, they do do them.

it has been like that for years and BKK airport is still one of the safest one. is the act of terrorism is really a treat? if yes then i do believe the HAT YAI airport should have been blown up years ago. the security there is even worse than BKK. how many of the security officer / personnel do believe the act of terrorism is really a treat.

--------------

Amen ! I really amazed at some of the threads advocating increased restrictions., But think of one! no matter how much u'll increase the thing, if someone is hel_l bound to inflict serious damage, next time they will come up with something else, like learning some martial arts,or some new gadgets,so whats next ?! handcuff & sedate all passengers for duration of UK/US bound flight ?! As for me ,i belong to the frequent flying businessmen with wheelies type,. i fly to UK almost monthly, well, almost, i flown less last year, and my next meeting( with american clients) changed for a safer destination > Hong Kong:) . So add on the restrictions, and airlines will be the only ones to lose out. Than also happily sedated passengers will end up paying more for tickets, just look at all the new surcharges invented after 9/11. Profiling passengers may help ! But not 2 start hassling frequent travellers,who've flown for years without exploding anything ..

Edited by asiaworld

I think they should let people carry more hand baggage onto flights - but make them join a different screening queue to do it!

A clamp down on hand baggage is long overdue. I am sick of seeing people board an aircraft with everything bar the kitchen sink in toe. Business travellers are often the worst with wheelie cases, laptops and suit carriers. The reason security screening is ineffective is because they get bored looking through all the tons of cr*p passengers drag around with them. Travelling with children aside, all you really need is a good book.

hmm...I agree that the kitchen sinkers are a problem, but it is rarely the business travellers with their dinky cases.

re security screeners getting bored....its their job! (bored or otherwise...)

...probably there is a BKK level of reliance on profiling and shifty eyebrows but there is always going to be a degree of risk management whatever system is used/abused...otherwise flights will never take off..............................

For my bit I was on a morning flight to Phuket on Wednesday and signs were posted at the Thai Airways check in desks that no hand luggage was allowed and that the same restrictions for the minimal items that could be carried that had applied for flights from the UK last weekend was in force. I was a little upset at this, only going for the day on business so I had no large bag to pack my notebook into so I was worried the would be a problem with my computer. I started discussing this with the check in staff (business class) and after I mentioned that the full restrictions in the UK had been lifted he said it was ok for me to take hand luggage. I was pleased at this but also concerned that rules were supposed to be implemented for everyones security that clearly were not being enforced. Whilst the risk to internal flights in Thailand may be minimal to non-existant surely it would be a good idea to enforce the policies that the powers that be have decreed are required....

I was given two very small clear plastic carrier bags and told politely but firmly if I could not comply, then I would not be able to board the flight.

So there at the check in desk I had to re-pack all my stuff to the bemused looks of all those behind me. Luckily I had anticipated this and had a case within my big case, so the job was done in very quick time. But with a 5 hour connection in Doha, having to pack my clean change of clothes and laptop was not fun. Thank God I've got a Gold Card to get me in to the 1st class lounge, I'd be going crazy right now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4795337.stm

This is the link to the BBC's advice on the revised hand baggage rules. Seeing everyone else boarding with the usual ruck sacks and suitcases infuriated me even more. Apparantly only London bound passengers had to endure the plastic bag treatment! :o

All,

Just came from BKK airport and the one thing that caught my eye was the guards at the departure first xray station. They had automatic weapons, red berrays(sp), and two to each station (dozens).

I havent ever seen them there before. Their fingers were on the triggers too.

LLL

Edited by threelegcowboy

Profiling passengers may help ! But not 2 start hassling frequent travellers,who've flown for years without exploding anything ..

I think quite a few Al Qaeda operatives are frequent flyers - albiet on the Europe to Pakistan routes!

A clamp down on hand baggage is long overdue. I am sick of seeing people board an aircraft with everything bar the kitchen sink in toe. Business travellers are often the worst with wheelie cases, laptops and suit carriers. The reason security screening is ineffective is because they get bored looking through all the tons of cr*p passengers drag around with them. Travelling with children aside, all you really need is a good book.

hmm...I agree that the kitchen sinkers are a problem, but it is rarely the business travellers with their dinky cases.

...probably there is a BKK level of reliance on profiling and shifty eyebrows but there is always going to be a degree of risk management whatever system is used/abused...otherwise flights will never take off..............................

I am calmer this morning. :o

Many of these cases can hardly be called dinky. I also travel on business and I cannot understand this fixation with taking everything in the cabin. Luggage at BKK normally always arrives well before you get through immigration. If not, what's a few minutes wait!

There is also the economy passengers syndrome. Some feel the need to carry half a dozen plastic carrier bags stuffed with piles of stuff they could not, for some reason, put in their suitcases. They stuff it in overhead lockers and do not touch it for the duration of the flight. Why take it in the cabin in the first place!

Security screening now accounts for 90% of the hassle in flying- esp at LHR where the queues were massive even before this latest scare. Even the best screeners, following all the ICAO guidelines will get fed up with their job. Imagine what the overworked/undertrained BKK screeners described above feel like! By limiting the amount taken through by hand, we would massively increase the chances of detecting a threat and speed up the whole process for everyone. People only take large carry-on because over the years they have got away with it. A clampdown is needed and now is the best time to do it. IMHO :D

I am calmer this morning. :o

Many of these cases can hardly be called dinky. I also travel on business and I cannot understand this fixation with taking everything in the cabin. Luggage at BKK normally always arrives well before you get through immigration. If not, what's a few minutes wait!

There is also the economy passengers syndrome. Some feel the need to carry half a dozen plastic carrier bags stuffed with piles of stuff they could not, for some reason, put in their suitcases. They stuff it in overhead lockers and do not touch it for the duration of the flight. Why take it in the cabin in the first place!

Security screening now accounts for 90% of the hassle in flying- esp at LHR where the queues were massive even before this latest scare. Even the best screeners, following all the ICAO guidelines will get fed up with their job. Imagine what the overworked/undertrained BKK screeners described above feel like! By limiting the amount taken through by hand, we would massively increase the chances of detecting a threat and speed up the whole process for everyone. People only take large carry-on because over the years they have got away with it. A clampdown is needed and now is the best time to do it. IMHO :D

I agree with most comments apart from those from the usual jokers.

Bangkok may not be a prime target but that is besides the point. The security arrangements there appear to be a joke.

Last Sunday morning I checked my wife in for a flight to LHW via Abu Dabi. Unusually, I was more vigilant than I normally would be, perhaps this may have been due to the fact that I was not flying.

During the time standing to check baggage in at the desk, which was at least 30 minutes, I couldan’t help notice and with a degree of rising anger the X-ray machine operator whom I observed for most of this time.

She had absolutely no interest what so ever in what she was doing and only occasionally looked at the screen during her really interesting and intense chat with some of her off duty work colleagues seated near to her.

This pissed me off so much I actually was tempted to approach and say something but I decided not to.

The Civil Aviation Authorities Code of Practise states that all operatives must have both hands on the machine console at all times, that 100% attention must be paid to the passing of objects by the operative at all times and no conversation or talking is to take place during the operatives shift which must be not more than 30 minutes at a time thereafter the operative is relieved.

Furthermore, a random search of passenger and baggage must take place, usually I in every 10.

NONE OF THIS TOOK PLACE DURING MY CHECK IN TIME LAST SUNDAY.

It’s only a matter of time before the boys down South in Yala and Pattani latch on to this very evident gap in security at Bangkok airport. Believe me, it will happen, it’s just a matter of time and when that jet explodes over the Indian Ocean or worse still over London on route from LOS, TAT can kiss their tourist industry good bye.

Let’s hope it’s not one of our Relatives, Nieces or Nephews who are blown to Atoms at 40 thousand feet because of some Poo Ying on an X-ray machine not doing her job professionally and like she was trained to do.

The Terrorist Boys will be looking at easier options after the latest detection by excellent security recently in G.B. and the US.

That’s all I have to say on the matter. Good luck to all, the way things are going, we are all going to need it.

I am waiting for the day when we hear the announcement, due to new security measures humans will not be allowed on the plane.

I agree with all those that say the security is just window dressing. The people that blah blab about how they feel safer now, because of new screenings and new requirements, that is good.

That is what we are paying for not increased security but to calm the ignorant masses, and don't kid yourself, you are one of those ignorant masses.

I can walk out onto the tarmac at Don Muang no problem, as I can an many other airports in the world.

All you have to know is a little bit of basic airport operations. I could teach you in an hour.

If you want to stop terrorism, change economic disproportions in the world, change the US's policy concerning Israel, etc. As these will have real results that will actually change the level of security in your life, but until that day, planes will be blown up, and people will die.

Regardless of whether someone takes away your tweezers or allows you to pass the detector with 10 coins in your pocket instead of 8.

Sad but this is the world we live in today.