Siam Square Under Water

george

Rains flood Bangkok, paralyse traffic

BANGKOK: -- Torrential rain lashed inner Bangkok yesterday evening causing widespread flooding and paralysing traffic across the city. Officials said some areas were submerged under 80cm of floodwater.

The rain started at about 3pm and by 5pm many roads were inundated including the business areas of Silom, Surawong, Si Phraya, Sukhumvit and Rama IV as well as around Siam Square and Siam Paragon mall where floodwaters spilled across footpaths.

The mall decided to allow its customers to park their vehicles at the parking lot free of charge until the floodwaters recede.

Many vehicles broke down in the heavy floodwater, especially at the Na Ranong Intersection, which was covered by 70-80cm of water, as well as Phetchaburi and Sukhumvit roads where 20-60cm of water was reported. Soi Sukhumvit 1 was flooded with knee-level water.

FM 91 Traffic Radio Station reported a blackout of traffic lights at three major intersections including Hua Lampong, Wire-less Road and Khlong Toei.

Commuters reported being stuck in their cars for more than an hour and there was a constant stream of updates on the situation being phoned in to the traffic station.

Other flooded roads were Phrompong intersection, Khlong Tan, Din Daeng, Lang Suan, Sarasin, Phraya Thai, Ratchathevi, Sri Ayudhaya, Rama VI and Tuek Chai intersection.

Floodwater was also reported at Ratchadaphisek, Lat Phrao, Ramkhamhaeng, Samsen, Banglampoo, Phaholyothin and Ngarmwongwan.

Motorists flocked to expressways to try to avoid the flooded inner city roads, but the congestion meant traffic barely inched along.

Drivers were reporting that their vehicles stranded completely for more than an hour.

--The Nation 2006-10-10

Siam Square under water

BANGKOK: -- Following two hours of heavy rains, the Siam Square area was inundated.

A Nation reporter from the scene said the heavy downpours started at about 3 pm and the roads in the area were flooded at about 5 pm.

The water rose so high that the footpath was under water and the water also seeped into the Lido Theatre.

Later in the evening, Siam Paragon announced that it would waive the parking fee and advised shoppers not to leave its parking lot as the traffic outside were congested due to the floods.

Other key roads in the city were also unde water. The floods hit Rajthevi, Din Daeng and severl other inner areas of the city.

-- The Nation 2006-10-10

Traffic snarls hit Bangkok streets following heavy rains, floods

BANGKOK: -- The heart of Bangkok was hit by heavy downpours Tuesday afternoon, causing several roads to be inundated.

The floods caused heavy traffic congestion on many main roads, including Si Phraya, Surwong, Silom, Sathorn, Surasak and Rama IV.

The roads were inundated by at least 30 centimetres deep of water.

Certain roads were under some 70 to 80 cms deep of water.

The FM91 Traffic Radio station was flooded with phone calls, to report traffic congestion and floods on many roads in inner Bangkok.

The rain started at about 3 pm and by 5 pm many roads were inundated.

The radio station also reported that the traffic on the expressway also stand still for over an hour as of 6 pm.

-- The Nation 2006-10-10

Avoid the subway!!!

Indeed! I remember seeing the Boston subway under water a few years ago.

This in part a response to another apparently recently closed thread about the flooding. I can't help saying that, sad as it is, I think Thailand is fortunate in terms of timing. The intensity of this season, along with the political changes, give everyone an opportunity to look at the core reasons behind it, and to find a way to address it.

BTW, please, lets refrain from snide remarks that can be taken wrong and cause this and other threads to be closed. No point in that.

Edited by Upcountry

Thank God for the Skytrain!!! Avoid the subway!!!

Did you hear that there were problems with the subway? I would be very interested to know how they deal with water levels of 50 to 80cm.

The subway access was designed to accommodatae the "500 year floodplane", although with all the flooding problems I think that floodplane has risen a few cm at least. It shouldn't be a real problem unless you had prolonged flooding and something like an earthquate at the same time.

Skytrain is an easier solution...

Avoid the subway!!!

This in part a response to another apparently recently closed thread about the flooding. I can't help saying that, sad as it is, I think Thailand is fortunate in terms of timing. The intensity of this season, along with the political changes, give everyone an opportunity to look at the core reasons behind it, and to find a way to address it.

BTW, please, lets refrain from snide remarks that can be taken wrong and cause this and other threads to be closed. No point in that.

I noticed the other thread being closed but it would help if they give a reason WHY.

I read all messages and saw nmo reason why it was closed.

The main reason for the floods is quite clear: too many filling in of land meant to be water overflow and if you fill it, it goes elsewhere... Reason why in Holland big rivers etc still have space for rain to overflow and get stuck by main dikes.... Anyone stupid enough to build a house or a town where water wants to go gets exactly what he deserves... I suspect people in the USA also realise that building next to a river isnt the smartest thing to do....

Did you hear that there were problems with the subway? I would be very interested to know how they deal with water levels of 50 to 80cm.

The subway access was designed to accommodatae the "500 year floodplane", although with all the flooding problems I think that floodplane has risen a few cm at least. It shouldn't be a real problem unless you had prolonged flooding and something like an earthquate at the same time.

Skytrain is an easier solution...

whats the 500 year floodplane??? Considering the changing climate and I mean stuff the global warming as thats political, as we are at the end of a minor ice-age, who knows where water will be in 500 years????

Avoid the subway!!!

I noticed the other thread being closed but it would help if they give a reason WHY.

I read all messages and saw nmo reason why it was closed.

The main reason for the floods is quite clear: too many filling in of land meant to be water overflow and if you fill it, it goes elsewhere... Reason why in Holland big rivers etc still have space for rain to overflow and get stuck by main dikes.... Anyone stupid enough to build a house or a town where water wants to go gets exactly what he deserves... I suspect people in the USA also realise that building next to a river isnt the smartest thing to do....

Nothing wrong with wanting a roof over yer head... Something's wrong with the incompetent local governments allowing them to build there in the first place and then allowing others to raise land as they please afterwards. (Some of these ares have no water supply in the summer)

Our village isn't sinking slowly, the new projects and surrounding land are getting higher and higher as they build :o.

The Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate is another fine example. It gets flooded on a regular basis, probably has an inadequate drainage system that has never been fixed, combined with the tide from the Gulf and the Bang Pakong river's level, the land around it has developed and raised at an amazing pace. I bet it's flooded again right now.

I'm ready.

Jan07213.jpg

Edited by Tony Clifton

There are some very large 3phase drainage pumps (supplied by Grundfoss) located at low points in the system. While I dont remember the exact figures they run into hundreds of cubic meters per minute - assuming they and the gennies switch on!

Tim

The only flooding I have seen with the subway was at the Sukhumvit station exit 2 nearest Soi cowboy. In the first level where many people go just to cross under Asok. they have a leak and someone is there with a wet vac around the clock. I suspect it may be as a result of the excavation of the new building on the corner of Asok and Sukhumvit. I would guess that it is only about 5 meters or less.

Nice photos Tony, can you caption them as to what intersections. Thanks.

Y'all should know by now, it is a very rare month of October when there are no pictures of flooded streets in Bangkok.

Can anyone give me any idea how long this will all last as i am arriving BKK 20th oct., getting worried. :o

Why stay a minute longer in BKK than you absolutely have to? That applies, whether it's flooded or not. People are a strange species. They give highest property values to the worst areas to live. Example: I know of a beautiful new house on 4 rai with unobstructed views in every direction, no flood danger, clean air and water, no crime, no noise, friendly neighbors for 4.5 mil.baht. Even if a such house in BKK existed (not possible) it would have a value perhaps 10 times that amount. Birds, rodents, reptiles all move to places that are reasonably comfortable (or at least non-flooded) - people, with their big brains move to places that are yuksville. go figure.

the entrances of the subway are elevated to prevent flooding. if even those flood barriers could not hold back the water, well, then it would truly be a sensationally bad raining season.

but so far rain is rather meagre this year. in the good old 90s and naughties the sukhumvit area was flooded daily in october.

Y'all should know by now, it is a very rare month of October when there are no pictures of flooded streets in Bangkok.

Can anyone give me any idea how long this will all last as i am arriving BKK 20th oct., getting worried. :o

Why stay a minute longer in BKK than you absolutely have to? That applies, whether it's flooded or not. People are a strange species. They give highest property values to the worst areas to live. Example: I know of a beautiful new house on 4 rai with unobstructed views in every direction, no flood danger, clean air and water, no crime, no noise, friendly neighbors for 4.5 mil.baht. Even if a such house in BKK existed (not possible) it would have a value perhaps 10 times that amount. Birds, rodents, reptiles all move to places that are reasonably comfortable (or at least non-flooded) - people, with their big brains move to places that are yuksville. go figure.

Because some people have a life in bangkok and happen to work here not a qestion smelling fresh air living in the hills reading the news paper all day long picking money from a tree !!

Avoid the subway!!!

The Boston subway line was the first in US, built more than 100 years ago.

the entrances of the subway are elevated to prevent flooding. if even those flood barriers could not hold back the water, well, then it would truly be a sensationally bad raining season.

but so far rain is rather meagre this year. in the good old 90s and naughties the sukhumvit area was flooded daily in october.

:D

but so far rain is rather meagre this year. in the good old 90s and naughties the sukhumvit area was flooded daily in october

I first came to Bangkok in 1977, and I know what you mean.

Do you remember the old taxis? Many of them were rusted out underneath, so that if you took one during a flood on Sukhumvit, water would be coming in through the floor of the taxi. You had to sit with your feet up on the seat to avoid the water sloshing around inside the taxi. I used to stay in a guesthouse on Soi 38 off Sukhumvit. Many was the time I had to slosh home around 2 a.m. after consuming a few to many Singhas. I once had a sweet young thing with me for the night who didn't want to get her clothes soaked in about 2 feet of water. My solution (it seemed logical at the time after all the beer) was to have her climb on my back and carry her to the guesthouse.

Of course I was a lot younger, and hopefully a lot dumber at that time.

:o

For Sale Blue Van hardly used :o

hey stevo, :D

do you know those cats at orange county choppers. ?

there's mikey, paul junior and paul senior and i see them on the telli all the time. :D

paul senior is a bit grumpy sometimes but he's got a good heart so he in my good books. :D

look mate,

if you spot them can you get me an autograph addressed to terry and i'll be your best mate when you come to los and show you the ropes my friend. :D

i'll even take you to some top live music spots as youre a musso arn't you.

cheers stevo. :D

It is an ill wind that doesn't blow some good.

When you get flooding in Bangkok, the effect for us is that water coming off nearby fields is a bit too much for the storm drain and the excess comes along the soi, covering the concrete about half an inch (1cm) deep, and it has little fish jumping along in it.

I have to stop the car and my wife rummages in the glove compartment and finds a plastic bag into which she gathers half a kilo of little fish in five minutes.

It just makes her day to get fish, that would have cost her twenty bahts at the market, for nothing!

What is not said and could have been said :

Rathchada Pisek was given as a flooded, it was not, at least the Huay Kwang part.

The rain were very localised : I was near Sathorn yesterday night, in some place it was heavily raining, and let say 1 km east of those place (or 1 km west) it was dry ...

The flood I witnessed were also localise and were more related on how the water was evacuated (more accuratly how it was NOT evacuated) rather than on how many centimeter was coming from the sky. Places that were cleaned recently were not flooded, that is for sure.

So one more time hard to generalise on it