3-year Multiple Non-B Visa Launched

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new 3-year multiple Non-Immigrant "B" visa is now launched.

An equivalent has been available for years to Australians and many others - it is the APEC Business Travel Card. Genuine business travellers can get this for access to Australia, Brunei, Chile, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Peru, Thailand and Taiwan. You are issued with a card that is valid for all those countries for several years and show it on arrival.

You have access to priority immigration entry points at the airport and immediately get admission for 12 weeks.

These new visa arrangements simply match the APEC Business Travel Card.

Given the marked reluctance by Thai Embassies to even issue a one year Multiple entry Non-Immigrant B now, one would have to be somewhat optimistic in thinking that these 3 year visa's will be very easy to obtain.

True, and notice that the honorary consuls are forbidden to issue this three-year visa.

Given the marked reluctance by Thai Embassies to even issue a one year Multiple entry Non-Immigrant B now, one would have to be somewhat optimistic in thinking that these 3 year visa's will be very easy to obtain.

But the criteria for application would appear to be the same as for a one year application. Maybe after having been seen to do something proactive towards reducing the number of 'less desirable' characters via the new VOA regulations; this is the government's way of ensuring that it doesn't shoot itself in both feet and still manages to keep a steady level of foreign money coming into the country. Here's hoping it's within easy reach and not the Holy Grail of visas!

No one is saying they will be easy to obtain, but looking at the recent changes in policy for the Thai consulates especially its obvious that they have a change in policy, so lets wait to se what they have in mind.

I for myself am drunked and i can se what the immagration do for this country and for foriengn tourist.

I can thinking this 3 yr is good for forienger but not good for farang stay long time no money, why have make problem for farang stay here for make good life and honest man?

many farang not happy for stay Thailand now cos many bad man make no stay good for normal man, this no good for thailand

One interesting thing I noticed in this directive was the stipulation that employment is prohibited. This precludes job-seekers from obtaining/wanting this visa but it also demonstrates some valid points that seem to be lost on many Thai consular offices along with a number of TV posters: holders of non-'B' visas can be for people simply traveling to Thailand frequently for business purposes, these people will not be getting a work permit, the wrath of the gods will not fall upon them for not having done so.

"Employment of any kind is stricktly prohibited..."

And then again you SHOULD be employed to even apply for this visa :o

So is or isn't it? A requirement or obstacle to be employed.

This is just as clear statement as thai authorities can ever be.

Jeez, don't tell me you really are that thick! Or are you just nit-picking like so many people on these forums...

This means employment in Thailand by a Thai company is prohibited. This type of visa is designed for visiting overseas businessmen who will not be employed in Thailand.

Edited by ovenman

I think it is great that Thailand is finally doing something about the lack of VISA regulations, god knows how many killers, rapists, and paedophiles are running around the country. I might be getting the wrong vibes here but it sounds like most of the posters on this thread are not on work permits or any other type of VISA other than the VOA.

To be honest the rules and regulations here are already very lax even after the recent crack down on VOAs, I only hope that this will weed out the wasters and allow the rest an oportunity to make amends for the reputation that the 'farang kee nok' have left us with. :o

I am not targeting anyone in this thread, just stating my opinion.

Rant Over :D

Jeez, don't tell me you really are that thick! Or are you just nit-picking like so many people on these forums...

Yes, I am THAT thick. It was far from clear at all since I for example, am on a B-visa and the only place where I am employed is Thailand. Legally, paying taxes, all in order.

So this new visa is very much different then from the existing one of 1 year.

It was far from clear at all since I for example, am on a B-visa and the only place where I am employed is Thailand. Legally, paying taxes, all in order.

As the directive is worded, this visa would not work for you (pardon the pun). Nor would it work for anybody else employed in Thailand, either by a Thai company or by their own Thai-registered company, that uses the current one-year multi-entry non-immigrant 'B' visa.

Morning all!

My parents, both UK-based retirees, are struggling to get information from the Thai Embassy in London about what type of visa they should apply for that would enable them to spend upwards of two months a time, a couple of times a year in Thailand without leaving the country after 30 days. Does anyone have knowledge as to what type of visa they should ask for?

This new 3-year Multiple Non-B looks perfect but I guess it is restricted to those who are working in their home countries, not retirees.

Any clues anyone? Many thanks.

Morning all!

My parents, both UK-based retirees, are struggling to get information from the Thai Embassy in London about what type of visa they should apply for that would enable them to spend upwards of two months a time, a couple of times a year in Thailand without leaving the country after 30 days. Does anyone have knowledge as to what type of visa they should ask for?

This new 3-year Multiple Non-B looks perfect but I guess it is restricted to those who are working in their home countries, not retirees.

Any clues anyone? Many thanks.

60 day tourist visa, issued at any Thai embassy or consulate, should do the trick.

From what you describe, tourist visas would be fine for them.

Good Idea. This visa though is obviously for people who travel here on business, as proof of the company you work for and proof of business partners you visit in Thailand are needed. This includeds all necessary company docs etc from England ( or where ever) and Thailand.

The thing I find funny is the visas will cost about 10,000 baht and is down to the discretion of the officer dealing with it. ( best bit though is the visas is non refundable ) :o

It was far from clear at all since I for example, am on a B-visa and the only place where I am employed is Thailand. Legally, paying taxes, all in order.

As the directive is worded, this visa would not work for you (pardon the pun). Nor would it work for anybody else employed in Thailand, either by a Thai company or by their own Thai-registered company, that uses the current one-year multi-entry non-immigrant 'B' visa.

Anybody else employed in Thailand, either by a Thai company or by their own Thai-registered company, SHOULD NOT BE USING the current one-year multi-entry non-immigrant 'B' visa unless they need to leave the country frequently for business reasons.

They SHOULD BE USING the annual in-country extension with 90-day address registrations at their local Immigration Office

There is NO NEED to leave the country if your job does not require you to do so.

----------------------

From the Press release in the OP

Application fee is ABOUT 10,000 Baht

The application Fee is Non-Refundable

(The annual fee is only 1,900 Baht - - - 1.900 x 3 = 5,700 )

The required additional documents (4-9) may be submitted upon request.

SUPPLEMENTARY documents may be requested as and when neccesary.

(Read that as - additional erroneous documents and multiple photocopies will be requested if we don't like the look of you, don't like your manner, or how you're dressed - the section header states "Additional Documents which MAY be requested")

I'm betting the OPTIONAL additional documents (4-9) are taken as being MANDATORY at most consulates in Caucasia and beyond, and that section header will be interpreted as "Additional Documents which WILL be requested".

The issuance of the visa is at the discretion of the consular officer

Says it all really - it's up to the individual consul whether or not they activate this form of visa availability from their consulate.

A further aside - I also suspect it was the Immigration Police who instigated the introduction of this type of application - after all they're the ones on the (overworked) front line within the kingdom. But I also suspect the fee was set by someone from the corridors of Parliamentary power who had no idea what the existing fees were, and thought 10K to be a nice round number that's easy to remember.

On the positive side - I know a large number of people who do travel to Thailand several times a year who will jump at this visa type as it will suit them perfectly. It may also be useful for offshore oil & gas workers if their agency or company is based outside Thailand - many of them live here and flit in and out on roughly a monthly rotation - it's perfect for them, and the Thai offshore fields are desperate for skilled workers right now in the diving and ROV fields.

Summary = I think this is good news for many, and may be the thin end of the wedge loosening the screws that TRT were tightening over the last six years.

Stay optimistic and be patient - things are changing, pendulums swing, and what goes round comes round.

Gaz

I've checked this out with the Uk embassy website in London. Link below:

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/3yr_nib.htm

These visas are specifically aimed at people travelling to Thailand for business reasons NOT for working in Thailand - I've had one already for 1 year.

dear Sunbelt:

Pperhaps you can tell us if your sponsorship documents (for people who qualify) will enable us to obtain this 3 year visa? I've already decided in principle to return to the UK for a visa and was going to get the 1 year Non IMM B visa (Hull told me no problem) but obviously the 3 year visa is preferable!

although I aprrecaite only the Thai Embassy in London can issue this.

Thanks

Jim

Dr Pat Pong, I like your sense of humor. May a new kid on the block have an opinion?

Be it right or be it wrong, I thought a Non"B" was issued in another country ie your home country on the understanding you either, a, were going to start a business in Thailand.. b, had a job to go to..If you did neither you would lose the Non "B"..

I have my own company with a work permit, I pay income and company tax, I get yearly extentions of both Visa and WP with no trouble So really I dont need a 3 year.. As an Aust I am elegable to have my WP cover all of Thailand (but I choose not to) something to do with Trade Agreements and I believe Aust is on the Verge of becoming part of Asean, so I guess all you fellow Aussies out there can breath a little easier..Good luck to the rest of you..

May I just say after reading this forum for tha last few days, I have one question "What constitutes a Tourist?"

Anybody else employed in Thailand, either by a Thai company or by their own Thai-registered company, SHOULD NOT BE USING the current one-year multi-entry non-immigrant 'B' visa unless they need to leave the country frequently for business reasons.

They SHOULD BE USING the annual in-country extension with 90-day address registrations at their local Immigration Office

Work permit holders who do not meet the minimum salary requirements do not qualify for the one year extensions.

Be it right or be it wrong, I thought a Non"B" was issued in another country ie your home country on the understanding you either, a, were going to start a business in Thailand.. b, had a job to go to..If you did neither you would lose the Non "B"..

The point of my post above (post number 8) is that there is a category c that also requires a non-'B' visa: the traveling businessman who visits Thailand but does not work in Thailand, does not desire to work in Thailand, and is not looking to set up a company in Thailand.

This means employment in Thailand by a Thai company is prohibited. This type of visa is designed for visiting overseas businessmen who will not be employed in Thailand.

You mean the "fat cats" businessmen? They should just get the Thai Elite Card and been done with any visa worries for life...

say, btw... while I've had time to reflect lately, maybe Thai Elite Card isn't such a bad thing afterall.... what do you all think?

can understand the confusion of both types being non-B... perhaps they rename the new one,

a non-FC multiple-entry visa.

FC = Fat Cats

Dr Pat Pong, I like your sense of humor. May a new kid on the block have an opinion?

I have my own company with a work permit, I pay income and company tax, I get yearly extentions of both Visa and WP with no trouble So really I dont need a 3 year.. As an Aust I am elegable to have my WP cover all of Thailand (but I choose not to) something to do with Trade Agreements and I believe Aust is on the Verge of becoming part of Asean, so I guess all you fellow Aussies out there can breath a little easier..Good luck to the rest of you..

May I just say after reading this forum for tha last few days, I have one question "What constitutes a Tourist?"

Wouldn't a tourist be someone holidaying somewhere ? It is definitely not someone permanently residing somewhere.

You might be waiting a long time for Australia to become a member state of Asean :o