• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

62 Excellent

About eskatonia

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  • Birthday

Recent Profile Visitors

934 profile views
  1. <deleted>? IT IS ACCESSABLE, there are lifts. According to your logic every single office which isn't on the ground floor is in violation of the disability discrimination act because a lift might potentially break down. It doesn't work that way. Also as has been pointed out, you don't have to go in person if you're not able to, you can send someone else and sign a doc to authorise them to do it for you.
  2. What do you want them to do? Move the office to the ground floor just in case a disabled person happens to need to renew a passport on a day that ALL the lifts are not working? Seriously you're creating a problem where there is none. I'm sure if a disabled person really was in such a situation the staff would either come down to the disabled person to accept the application where they were or help the person get to the office somehow. Really they were polite and friendly and eager to help, much better than the normal sullen embassy staff you deal with.
  3. The same is true for any office that has a lift. So you'd have to come back another day in that case. Seriously why are you making out like the lift is some huge problem? I found the process painless, much nicer than dealing with Thai government departments.
  4. It's still on a UK address but I'm going to be swapping it for a Thai driving license soon. Not even sure if they needed that, but I had a copy and they took the copy.
  5. Not sure why you're making the lift out to be a big deal. There are other lifts that go to the 27th floor, so I imagine if the 28th floor lift was broken you'd go to the 27th floor and walk up one flight of stairs.
  6. I went today to get UK passport renewed. There is a VFS front desk right inside the door, they speak english and directed me to the lift to 28th floor, pretty clear and straight forward. Staff were efficient and helpful. It seems if you have a work permit you don't need any proof of address, from what I can tell what they care about is that you're legally a resident of Thailand, not about where you live, so copy of work permit takes care of that. I also had bank statements with my address but wasn't asked for them. I also had a copy of my UK drivers license and they took that as well. All good, in and out in 15 minutes.
  7. Tues 20th Dec: has been unreachable all day yesterday and today, tried through multiple ISP's CAT and TRUE. Anyone know the last time it was up and working?
  8. Ah ok, it's just been my experience in the past that whenever I show them an extension stamp at immigration they inevitably go back through the passport and find the original visa it was based on to check everything. So even better I can apply for a new passport now and get the extension in the new passport to start up then?
  9. I've jumped all the hoops for BOI and qualify to get a two year extension (available to certain types of technology companies) . Problem is my current passport only has two pages left unstamped. Is it true they really will not copy a visa (or extension) to a new passport? I've already got the 90 day non B , so maybe too late? If I understand correctly then I will have to carry around both passports to show the original visa, the two year extension and then any entry, exit and re-entry stamps will be in the new passport? Is that really the only solution? I imagine having to do that makes it all more complicated and time consuming at immigration. I'd much rather have everything clean in the new passport if possible?
  10. I guess just because it's only really been an option in the last couple of years. Hotels used to be silly prices in yangon, nothing under $100 US a night. I just went and got a non B in yangon a week ago. Plenty of cheap places to stay of Much less queues at the embassy than Vientianne and dirt cheap once you get there.
  11. No it does not, it costs 5000 THB . Of course you must be paying the social taxes for four thai's to get your extension but if they're employed legit and generating income for you thats not a cost of your own work permit. Perhaps you mean paying the social tax on four thais when you don't actually employ anyone costs 100,000 a year?
  12. You can try but generally they are more strict when applying for the year long extension than they are in giving the temporary work permit. If your boss will cooperate and explain why you're essential in a letter then I'd consider it less risky to go through the BOI. Another angle to try is to explain how you help them to get international business (exports) they love that. (Assuming your company does get international business of course)
  13. For a first offense on his wife's business? Bit harsh don't you think? Yes if he keeps getting caught he could be deported eventually which is why he should either control his urges to fix things when he's there or get a work permit. According to this website the penalty for working with out a permit is 2000 THB to 100000 THB fine or up to five years in jail (or both). It's not automatic jail time.
  14. I know all about the amount of paperwork since I have a work permit from my own BOI company. Yes it's a lot of work, is it the best solution? Maybe depends on the type of business is wife is running, not enough info. Especially the OP says he can't resist fixing things when he's there so he risks getting caught again. If the fine is really 40K then paying the money to set it up correctly and get a work permit quickly becomes the cheaper option even.
  15. It's not easy but depending on the type of business it might be the best solution long term.