• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

55 Excellent

1 Follower

About Mattd

Previous Fields

  • Location
    The Dark Side

Recent Profile Visitors

3,974 profile views
  1. Possibly the ones who are the victims of the crimes that are often and proven to be carried out by some of those that participate in Ganja, or any other drug for that matter, not saying all do by any means, however some people will go to any lengths to get the funds to be high!
  2. In April 2017, 6th, 13th & 14th are confirmed holidays, it is quite possible that 17th will be as well, due to 15th falling on a Saturday.
  3. OK, thought it was, apologies.
  4. As far as I know, the guys from POR reopened in Soi Buakow -
  5. + 1 for the above answer, only thing I'd add is that exactly the same sequence would apply if your son was born here and this is his first trip overseas. I've never had any issues with Immigration here in Thailand when departing with my 2 sons, so long as their Mother is with you, then it should not be an issue at all, as Skatewash suggests, it wouldn't harm to take some proof of parentage, the birth certificate should suffice in this instance, as this shows both parents and more importantly the Mother's details.
  6. WOW unbelievable cost, especially considering the info they provide, i.e. all it means is it saves a trip to Bangkok for a mere 50,600 THB, bargain of a lifetime, will be over subscribed I'm sure! How much will this service cost me? The cost of the service will depend on the size of the group and the location. Please see the pricing table given above. Not only is our pricing competitive, you will also avoid the associated costs of travelling to one of our visa application centres and taking time off work. Will my application be processed more quickly? Your visa application will be processed in exactly the same way as any other. Eligible applicants also have the option of our 5 day priority visa service. Will this service improve my chances of success? Your visa application will be processed in exactly the same way as any other.
  7. As you had a work permit and that everything with the company and your employment is legit, then if they make you redundant or retire you they will have to standby the labour law and pay you 10 months salary, which is subject to special tax concessions. Unless you took this option of the payout at the age of 60? Did you participate in a provident fund here for the first 5 years employment, i.e. until you were 60?
  8. Allowing the use of the one year visa or an extension of stay as proof of residency does not surprise me at all, as IMHO the requirement is not necessarily to prove where you actually live so much as to prove that you are legally allowed to and are residing here from the point of view of being able to apply for the passport here, as opposed to the UK. Under normal circumstances, a tourist would not be travelling in to Thailand with a passport that is about to expire in that period or is virtually full and if so, then they could get an Emergency Travel Document from the Embassy.
  9. MiKT - Please wise up, how do you think you renew the passport then?? Read what is says here!
  10. Fair enough, though the fact does still remain that people are getting refused at entry, some for legitimate reasons others not, plus seemingly an increasing number of people are getting questioned by immigration if they are seen to have a number of exempt entries in their passport. Again, it is up to the individual as to how they want to do it, I was in exactly the same position as the OP from 1989 through to 2004, the first 8 years were on visa exempt entries and were never a problem, then I got married and went to ME non-O visas, times have moved on since then and if I was like the OP single with no dependants here and put in to the same position again, then I would not hesitate to purchase the 5 year elite program purely for peace of mind.
  11. Agreed, see my post above though, a risky way of doing it and one that may not satisfy his employer.
  12. Not sure about it being rescinded, however, it is most definitely on the MFA website, that is where I took the quote from! MFA Q & A and see the answers to the first question. Also, given the fact that there are several reports lately of people being refused entry for a variety of reasons on visa exempts, tourist visas etc. then if it was me, I would not take the chance, as by definition the OP will more than likely end up building a life here during these work periods, then an entry refusal could cause all sorts of issues for him. It is a personal choice, but if earning the big $$ and you want to have some sort of certainty (as much as one can dealing with Thai Immigration!!) then really the best option is the Elite program, the OP has to find a solution that is acceptable to his company as well.
  13. Sorry, but I don't quite understand why coming in on a 30 day visa exempt entry and then extending this by 30 days would in anyway assist the OP? The OP has stated that he works a rotation of 30 days on / 30 days off (1 month on / 1 month off) so extending is of little purpose? Theoretically the OP can enter on a visa exempt, stay the 30 days or so he needs to, then depart for work and repeat, however, 2 issues, one being that he may get pulled at some point, as the general guidance from MFA is: 'Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.' Second being the point of his post, which was that he wasn't sure if his company would accept visa exempt entries. As the OP is not yet 50, then if he truly wants to spend time in Thailand, then his best option would be to spend the first couple of times on visa exempt entries, then if he does like Thailand and wants to make it his home at retirement, then purchase the 5 year Elite program.
  14. Aha, my question answered, in the MFA FAQ! :)
  15. Actually, for my own learning, I am intrigued as to where the cash amount derives from, whether it be in Thai Baht or equivalent? As far as I can see the Immigration act only states: 11. According to the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979), foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand: (1) Having no genuine valid passport or document used in lieu of passport; or having a genuine valid passport or document used in lieu of passport without valid visa issuance by the Royal Thai Embassies, the Royal Thai Consulates-General or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with exception of those who meet visa exemption requirements. The terms and conditions of visa issuance and visa exemption are prescribed by the Ministerial Regulations. (2) Having no appropriate means of living following entry into the Kingdom. (3) Having entered the Kingdom to be employed as an unskilled or untrained labourer, or to work in violation of the Alien Work Permit Law. (4) Being mentally unstable or having any of the diseases stated in the Ministerial Regulations. (5) Having not yet been vaccinated against smallpox; or inoculated, or undergone any other medical treatment for protection against disease; and having refused to have such vaccinations administered by the Immigration Doctor. (6) Having been imprisoned by judgement of the Thai Court; or by lawful injunction or judgement of the Court of a foreign country, except for when the penalty is for a petty offence, or negligence, or is provided for as an exception by the Ministerial Regulations. (7) Having behaviour which could cause possible danger to the public; or having the likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace, safety and security of the public or to the security of the nation; or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments. (8) Reason to believe that entry into Kingdom is for the purpose of being involved in prostitution, the trafficking of women or children, drug smuggling, or other types of smuggling which are against public morality. (9) Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister under Section 14 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979). (10) Being a person prohibited by the Minister under Section 16 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979). (11) Being deported by either the Government of Thailand or that of other foreign countries; or having been revoked the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries; or having been expelled from the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless exemption is provided by the Minister on an individual basis. Obviously it must come from what the Minister prescribes? I also thought I read that it was 10,000 THB for individuals? As written by several posters before, in this modern age, then there really should be allowances made for those that come with credit cards etc. Though really the amount needed to show is not a huge sum if coming on a holiday!