Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In the Rai!

Sentence Builder

154 posts in this topic

ITR, just one small thing: ก่อนสงครามประชาชนอย่างมีความสุข should be ก่อนสงครามประชาชนยังมีความสุข

อย่างมีความสุข means 'happily' - อย่าง transforms the verb phrase to an adverb, whereas ยัง means 'still'.

You could use that construction in 'Before the war, the people lived happily together' which would be ก่อนสงครามประชาชนยังอยู่ด้วยกันอย่างมีความสุข :o

So, it’s impossible to say ผมสุข, because there is no verb in this sentence.

Well, actually it's not quite to say it's impossible to say ผมสุข. You might hear or read something like "คุณสุข ผมก็สุข คุณทุกข์ ผมก็ทุกข์", both สุข and ทุกข์ sound like verb in this sentence but in fact it's not. It's from the sentence "คุณมีความสุข ผมก็มีความสุข ถ้าคุณมีความทุกข์ ผมก็มีความทุกข์"

For the difference in meaning between สุข and ความสุข, I don't think I can explain. If you ask any Thais about it, you would get the answer " สุข ก็คือความสุข ทุกข์ ก็คือความทุกข์ " they are the same. In some sentences they are interchangeable.

For examples:

คนเราจะมีสุข หรือ ไม่มีสุข มันอยู่ที่ใจ

คนเราจะมีความสุข หรือ ไม่มีความสุข มันอยู่ที่ใจ

Both sentences are the same.

or from the ITR's examples;

ก่อนสงครามประชาชนอย่างเป็นสุข - ก่อนสงครามประชาชนอยู่กันอย่างเป็นสุข

ก่อนสงครามประชาชนอย่างมีความสุข - ก่อนสงครามประชาชนอยู่กันอย่างมีความสุข

อยู่กัน - verb

อย่าง - change the verb to be adverb

มี and เป็น - verb (which make it can be changed to be adverb by adding อย่าง in front of the word. It can't be just อย่างสุข)

อย่างเป็นสุข - happily

อย่างมีความสุข - happily

ก่อนสงครามประชาชนอย่างเป็นสุข (I would use this as - Before the war the people were happy) but it is bigger than ความสุข in that it includes like peace and quiet as well. IMO

compared to

ก่อนสงครามประชาชนอย่างมีความสุข (Before the war all the people had happiness) I would use this as just happiness.

ITR, I agree with your explanation. They might sound like the same but if consider about it deeply, it's exactly right as ITR's assumption. :o

ITR, just one small thing: ก่อนสงครามประชาชนอย่างมีความสุข should be ก่อนสงครามประชาชนยังมีความสุข

อย่างมีความสุข means 'happily' - อย่าง transforms the verb phrase to an adverb, whereas ยัง means 'still'.

You could use that construction in 'Before the war, the people lived happily together' which would be ก่อนสงครามประชาชนยังอยู่ด้วยกันอย่างมีความสุข :D

Meadish I forgot to put ก่อนสงครามประชาชนอยู่อย่างมีความสุข

I like your example ยังอยู่ด้วยกันอย่างมีความสุข cheers

nice :o

I have the word แม่ meaning mum or mother (informal i think) and would like to add some wording to say something like 'love to mother' or 'always love mother'.. any suggestions?

Im planning a tattoo and the แม่ just isnt long enough!

Many thanks in advance

I have the word แม่ meaning mum or mother (informal i think) and would like to add some wording to say something like 'love to mother' or 'always love mother'.. any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

'love to mother' - รักแด่แม่

'always love mother' - รักแม่เสมอ

Here is a good one that I like and hope I will get to see other examples of how others use it in a sentence.

ยับยั้งใจ = I always used this as "will power" or "resist" or "hold back" or "cant stop myself"

Example of how I use it. If you are eating a lot and people are laughing because you cant stop, you can say ยับยั้งใจไม่ได้ I cant stop/ I cant resist or I have no will power.

In a sentence I have only ever used it in a negative way and would love to see some positive sentences.

เสนห์ = charm

ดึงดูดใจ = attractive

จน = until

ไม่สามารถ = unable

ยับยั้งใจ = will power / resist / hold back

ผมมี่เสนห์ดึงดูดใจเมียมากจนเมียไม่สามารถยับยั้งใจไม่ให้ชอบผมได้

pom mi senay doong duut jai mia mark jon mia mai samart yab yang jai mai hai chob pom dai.

(My wife is attracted to my charm and she is unable to resist liking me.) If only it was true...

So as you can see by the highlighted bit, it is used in a negative way.

Does anyone use it differently and could share their own ways of using it.

cheers ITR :o

Many thanks in advance

This would surely imply that you only love your Mother, ie you do not Love your Father.

'always love mother' -รักแม่เสมอ

This from advice by a Thai friend is perfect!

This would surely imply that you only love your Mother, ie you do not Love your Father.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of this word 'แด่' , it's not 'แต่'

'แด่' means toward, for, to. It's used with the one we respect including friends and lover.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of this word 'แด่' , it's not 'แต่'

'แด่' means toward, for, to. It's used with the one we respect including friends and lover.

Oops, sorry about that. I did read it wrong :o I have to get some new glasses, specially for the computer. Meadish has already posted how to make the Thai font larger and easier to read, but I didn't do it this time.

Mind you, if he has รักแด่แม่ tatooed, he'd better make sure that it is easy to read.

Once again, sorry for my lazy reading.

Mind you, if he has รักแด่แม่ tatooed, he'd better make sure that it is easy to read.

Yes, will have to keep working at those muscles so as to not get wrinkly, lest the ด become a ต :o

Thanks for those , so either would be ok? Was a little worried my choice of wording may come across as unappropriate in some parts of thailand? didnt want anything remotely incestuous :o

Thanks again

Just wondering if anyone had any other ways of using this below...

Here is a good one that I like and hope I will get to see other examples of how others use it in a sentence.

ยับยั้งใจ = I always used this as "will power" or "resist" or "hold back" or "cant stop myself"

Example of how I use it. If you are eating a lot and people are laughing because you cant stop, you can say ยับยั้งใจไม่ได้ I cant stop/ I cant resist or I have no will power.

In a sentence I have only ever used it in a negative way and would love to see some positive sentences.

เสนห์ = charm

ดึงดูดใจ = attractive

จน = until

ไม่สามารถ = unable

ยับยั้งใจ = will power / resist / hold back

pom mi senay doong duut jai mia mark jon mia mai samart yab yang jai mai hai chob pom dai.

(My wife is attracted to my charm and she is unable to resist liking me.) If only it was true...

So as you can see by the highlighted bit, it is used in a negative way.

Does anyone use it differently and could share their own ways of using it.

cheers ITR

มีเสน่ห์ another rare occasion where the phonetic is wrong in Thai2English

ผมมีเสน่ห์ดึงดูดใจเมียมากจนเมียไม่สามารถยับยั้งใจไม่ให้ชอบผมได้

I read this as your wife cannot resist disliking you! Have I misunderstood?? I see a double negative.

ไม่ สามารถ ยับยั้ง ใจ ................. ได้ is unable to resist

....................... ไม่ ให้ ชอบ ผม .... dislike me

Sorry if I've missed something :o

I read this as your wife cannot resist disliking you! Have I misunderstood?? I see a double negative.

Loong,

well spotted mate. A ไม่ snuck in there and it shouldn't have.

It should read ผมมีเสน่ห์ดึงดูดใจเมียมากจนเมียไม่สามารถยับยั้งใจให้ชอบผมได้

thanks

ITR :D

Loong,

thanks

ITR, I think you were correct at the first one.

It literally translate as " I'm so charming until mywife can't restrain(herself) not to like me.

For other examples:

ผมไม่สามารถยับยั้งใจตัวเองให้ไม่ดื่มเหล้าได้ ผมจึงต้องดื่ม

- I can't restrain myself not to drink, so I have to drink.

คนเราต้องรู้จักยับยั้งใจตัวเอง

- People have to know to restrain themselves.

Loong,

thanks

ITR, I think you were correct at the first one.

It literally translate as " I'm so charming until mywife can't restrain(herself) not to like me.

For other examples:

- People have to know to restrain themselves.

Hi Yoot,

i thought it was ok, but then I started to doubt it after Loong mentioned it. It is a tricky one isnt it.

cheers ITR

I think that this is one of the situations when Thai does not readily translate into English with the standard definition.

Example สงสัย sŏng-săi doubt ; suspect ; to be suspicious

In English if we say

"I suspect that he is over 70 years old" it means that I think he is over 70

but if we say

"I doubt that he is over 70 years old" it means that I think he is not over 70

สามารถยับยั้งใจตัวเองได้ would this translate better as "Have willpower" or "Have self control" instead of restrain myself ?

"I do not have the willpower to not drink, so I have to drink."

"People have to know (learn) self control

I think that this is one of the situations when Thai does not readily translate into English with the standard definition.

Example สงสัย sŏng-săi doubt ; suspect ; to be suspicious

In English if we say

"I suspect that he is over 70 years old" it means that I think he is over 70

but if we say

"I doubt that he is over 70 years old" it means that I think he is not over 70

สามารถยับยั้งใจตัวเองได้ would this translate better as "Have willpower" or "Have self control" instead of restrain myself ?

"I do not have the willpower to not drink, so I have to drink."

"People have to know (learn) self control

Well, I'm not sure if I understand it correctly or not. But I think there is something different between control one's self and restain one's self.

control one's self, to me it's like you have to control yourself what you should do or should not do.

But restain one's self is like there is some reason to stop you to do something you really want to do.

I might be wrong but that is the difference between ควบคุมตัวเอง and ยับยั้งใจตัวเอง in Thai. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks. :D

Hello Yoot

"Self control" is often used in the context of resisting temptation.

In your example...

"I can't restrain myself not to drink, so I have to drink."

You could say that "I cannot resist the temptation to drink, so I drink", or "I lack the self control to not drink, so I drink"

Self control and willpower are often interchangeable.

In English, I think that you would find it nearly impossible to find "I can't restrain myself" without the words "from ........ing" following. I hope that I'm explaining this adequately. So your example can easily be misunderstood.

"I can't restrain myself from not drinking, so I have to drink." we would drop the "not" to convey the intended meaning.

"I can't restrain myself from drinking, so I have to drink."

I'm sorry that I am not too good at explaining things clearly :o

I'm not sure if อดกลั้น can be used here as in abstaining by will(power)

รั้ง I think means self control as in controlling one's emotions

Thanks for your explanations, they have been very useful :D

Thanks, loong. Well, I think I might use the wrong English word to explain my understanding.

ยับยั้งใจ - to restrain, to stop, to cease.

ยับยั้ง - to halt, to stop, to constrain

So, what do you think it fits in that sentence?

Anyway, I think you are right. Translating literally from Thai sentence to English might sound weird for Native English. And my only excuse is, I'm not that good in English. :o

อดกลั้น means to have self-control, to restrain oneself, to suppress one's feeling.

รั้ง means to stop, to hold back, to delay

ยับยั้งใจ and รั้งใจ can be used interchangeably.

Anyway, I think you are right. Translating literally from Thai sentence to English might sound weird for Native English. And my only excuse is, I'm not that good in English. biggrin.gif

Your English is very good, so no worries there. I only wish that my Thai could be half as good as your English.

Thanks for your help in explaining this one, it made me take a look from another angle and understand it a little better.

Cheers

Thanks, loong. Well, I think I might use the wrong English word to explain my understanding.

ยับยั้งใจ - to restrain, to stop, to cease.

ยับยั้ง - to halt, to stop, to constrain

So, what do you think it fits in that sentence?

Anyway, I think you are right. Translating literally from Thai sentence to English might sound weird for Native English. And my only excuse is, I'm not that good in English. :o

อดกลั้น means to have self-control, to restrain oneself, to suppress one's feeling.
รั้ง means to stop, to hold back, to delay

ยับยั้งใจ and รั้งใจ can be used interchangeably.

I remember the joke Thais used to make about Aids when they said กลัวอดมากกว่ากลัวเอดส์ more afraid of abstaining from sex than from Aids itself!

I think in the drinking example we could simply say,' I can't stop drinking', 'I can't resist a drink' 'I haven't got the willpower to stop drinking'

It would sound odd to say,' I'm not able to stop drinking so I drink' or 'I can't resist a drink so I drink'.

Monty Python had it right in the philospher's song- I drink therefore I am!

This was a great thread that got me hooked on the Thai Language forum, unfortunately it's gone dry. I never posted on it as those posting were much more capable but I'm hoping I can get it going again. I'll start a sentence and take advantage of the opportunity to use a phrase that one of my employees has used several times recently but I don't entirely understand.

หลังจากหน่อยกลับมาที่บ้าน เขานึกว่า ชีวิตเป็นสับปะรด