Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meadish_sweetball

Thai Newspaper Headlines

304 posts in this topic

This is an interim report from the campaign to understand the origin of the phrase โยนหินถามทาง. Today I spoke to several members of the education community. They responded immediately: Why, that comes from the story of the two children who went into the woods. (Here come Hansel and Gretel.) The boy dropped small pebbles behind him to help them find the path out of the woods. Great story, I thought, wrong metaphor. Can anyone think about how that might be related to the notion of "trial baloon" or "testing the waters"? We continue our quest . . . .

So far, no luck yet on "สีข้างถลอกเป็นทิวแถว" but, I am still trying.

The latest: I just received an email from a friend and member of the education establishment who, after consulting with two of her colleagues, explained that in ancient times travelers in the deep jungle threw stones ahead to chase away wild animals, snakes, and other reptiles which might be lurking on the road.

I have received a response in English and Thai from one of our best respondents. Here is what he said with my attempt at translation in parentheses; additions and explanations are in brackets:

As for "สีข้างถลอกเป็นทิวแถว", I'm not in the mood to think of English explanation of this saying. If you don't mind I will explain to you in Thai and let's see how well you understand, ok? Perhaps you may explain it to others better than me.

This saying is from the action of "แถ".

"แถ" ก. อาการที่นกเป็นต้นเอียงปีกร่อนลง, อาการที่ของแบน ๆ เช่นกระเบื้องหรือรูป แฉลบหรือร่อนไปเฉียง ๆ, โดยปริยายเรียกอาการที่คล้ายคลึงเช่นนั้น เช่น วัน ๆ ไม่เห็นทำการทำงานได้แต่แถไปโน่นไปนี่.

("Thaae[R]", a verb, which describes the action of a bird, for example, tilts its wings down and hovers; the action of something very thin, for example a piece of tile or a picture, swerves and slides around or flits around from side to side. By implication this word is used metaphorically in similar conditions. For example, sometimes we see someone who does no productive work but flits around fitfully from place to place [with great purpose and determination]. [This definition matches that from the RID.])

ในสำนวนนี้ เขาจะว่าคนที่ชอบแถ เวลาแถมาก ๆ แล้วด้านข้างก็จะไปชนกับสิ่งนั้นสิ่งนี้จนสีข้างถลอก(the sides of the thorax get wounded)

(By use of this idiom [the newspaper] is being critical of officials who are accustomed to flit around fitfully. When they flit around like this, the sides of their bodies crash into things around them until "the sides of their thorax get wounded". [An English equivalent may be to a boxer who gets runs around the ring, barely touched by his opponent, but gets bruised by the ropes and canvass without landing any punches at all.])

การแถของคนเหล่านี้คือ การพูด เวลาคนที่ไม่ยอมรับความจริง จะพูดเรื่องอะไร ก็จะพยายามยกเหตุผลนั้น เหตุผลนี้มาสนับสนุนความเห็นของตน แต่เหตุผลที่ยกมานั้นใช้ไม่ได้เลย คือไม่ถูกกับหลักความเป็นจริง

(The "flitting" actions of these people consist of talking. When these people are not willing to accept the truth, they just talk and talk. They try to raise various reasons to support their own thinking and positions. But the reasons that they cite and the positions they take have nothing to do with the truth.)

ถ้าจะให้ยกตัวอย่าง คุณเดวิดดูในหัวข้อที่คุยกันเรื่อง เก็บตังค์ จะมีสมาชิกอยู่คนที่บอกว่า ที่ถูกต้องพูดว่า "kip dang" แล้วสมาชิกคนอื่น ๆ ก็แย้งว่าไม่ถูกต้อง แต่สมาชิกคนนั้นก็พยายามพูดว่าสิ่งที่เขาพูดนั้นถูกต้องแล้ว คนอื่นนั่นแหละ โง่แล้วอวดฉลาด ถ้าเป็นคนไทย ก็ต้องโดนว่า ว่าคนนั้นนั่นแหละ จอมแถ แถจนสีข้างถลอกแล้วยังไม่ยอมรับอีกว่าตัวเองผิด

(If you want to look at another example, consider the current discussion involving the words "kep tang". There are some members [of this forum] who say, "the correct method of pronouncing this word is "kip dang" while other members argue that this [pronunciation] is incorrect. The first member vociferously argues back that his pronunciation is correct. That other member continues to insist that his position is correct. [Translation edited for propriety.] If these were Thai people having this discussion, they would be rebuked as follows, "you are criticizing that person too much; you are getting bruised and beaten and still will not admit that you yourself are wrong.")

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"คำอธิบายของผู้ที่เกี่ยวข้องใน ส.ส.ร.ล้วนแต่อ้ำอึ้งไม่ชัดเจนจนสีข้างถลอกเป็นทิวแถว"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

จากเนื้อหาในข่าวนี้ จะเห็นได้ว่า ส.ส.ร. รู้ว่าสิ่งที่ตัวเองพยายามอธิบายนั้น ในความเป็นจริงแล้วมันไม่ถูกต้อง แต่ไม่สามารถพูดได้ ได้แต่อ้ำอึ้ง แล้วก็แถไปเรื่อย ๆ (เวลาแถมาก ๆ สีข้างก็ขูดกับพื้นบ้าง กำแพงบ้าง ก็เลยถลอก, กันเป็นแถว หมายถึง พวก ส.ส.ร. ทั้งหลายนั่นแหละ สีข้างถลอกกันหมดแล้ว)

(From the context of this news item you can see that members of the Constitution Drafting Committee understand that what are trying to explain is not the truth but they are not able to say that. They are only able to remain "speechless" or flit around needlessly (when [a bird] flits around like this the area around [its] thorax will rub against the ground or against surrounding walls and [this area of its body] all along its ribs will get bruised. This means that members of the Constitution Drafting Committee will be all bruised and beaten in the process.)

My thought is that that the sentence from the article could be translated loosely as,

"The attempt at explanation provided by those involved with the Constitution Drafting Committee rendered them either speechless or reduced to a mindless and bruising babbling."

Any thoughts or alternative translations? Thanks.

Here is another take on the word "แถ", a word that I never heard before. This comes from the magazine Sakul Thai, a Thai society magazine. Sakul Thai contains two Thai language columns at http://www.sakulthai.com/.

"แถ หมายความว่า อาการที่นกกางปีกร่อนลงเอียง ๆ เช่น พอเห็นอาหารที่เด็กน้อยใส่กระทงมาวางที่แป้นริมรั้ว เจ้านกน้อยก็แถลงเกาะที่ขอบรั้วทันที แถ แปลว่า เอียงตัวเข้าไปหา กระแซะเข้าไปหาก็ได้ เช่น พอเห็นสาว ๆ พ่อจอมเจ้าชู้ของเราก็แถเข้าไปใกล้ทีเดียว"

" 'Thaae' means an action of a bird when it spreads its wings and sort of swoops down or sidles over. For example, when it sees a child put a basket of food on a platform at the edge of a wall, the bird immediately swoops down and perches on the edge of the wall. 'Thaae' also means "to lean one's body over to talk to" someone or it could also mean "to snuggle up to" someone. An example of this would be 'when my father who has an exceedingly roving eye sees a young pretty girl he will just sidle up really close to her.'"

Have any of you seen other uses of this word?

Stumped and unable to offer a clear and lucid explanation, the Constitutional Committee merely tied themselves in knots\ did themselves a disservice with their desperate and fitful attempts at interpretation.

เจ้านกน้อย

เด็กน้อย

not answering your question , but what is the significance of น้อย as used here ?

ID: 58   Posted (edited)

Going back to the previous question,a Thai told me a similar expression is เอาสีข้างเข้าถู which literally is the sides of the participants rubbing and grazing against each other, metaphorically they have no reasons to back up their arguments head on so they resort to twists in logic, hence the side on approach!

Edited by bannork

Going back to the previous question,a Thai told me a similar expression is เอาสีข้างเข้าถู which literally is the sides of the participants rubbing and grazing against each other, metaphorically they have no reasons to back up their arguments head on so they resort to twists in logic, hence the side on approach!

That's a good one. I found this at http://www.thaiidiom.com/bowl.htm

เอาข้างเข้าถู , เอาสีข้างเข้าถู = ไม่ใช้เหตุผล , ดื้อดันจะเอาชนะให้ได้

defined as "not using reason; acting stubbornly in a manner only to win the argument." I can't wait to use this in real life! (Afraid to say this to my wife, however.)

Another metaphor from Matichon:

"คุณสมัครย่อมอาจจะต้องตกอยู่ระหว่างทางสองแพร่งที่ต้องเลือกพิทักษ์รักษาผลประโยชน์ของคุณทักษิณกับผลประโยชน์ของประชาชน"

"Khun Samak seems to be _____________ . He must choose between taking care of Thaksin's interests and the interest of the people."

How can we best translate, " . . . ตกอยู่ระหว่างทางสองแพร่ง . . . "? " . . caught on the horns of a dilemma . . ."? " . . . forced to decide between two paths . . . "?

Samak will have to decide whether he's going to protect the interests of Thaksin or the people.

"คุณสมัครย่อมอาจจะต้องตกอยู่ระหว่างทางสองแพร่งที่ต้องเลือกพิทักษ์รักษาผลประโยชน์ของคุณทักษิณกับผลประโยชน์ของประชาชน"

"Khun Samak seems to be _____________ . He must choose between taking care of Thaksin's interests and the interest of the people."

How can we best translate, " . . . ตกอยู่ระหว่างทางสองแพร่ง . . . "? " . . caught on the horns of a dilemma . . ."? " . . . forced to decide between two paths . . . "?

I've seen เเพร่ง used before suggesting a fork in the road as in reaching a point where one must choose one path, in English we might say crossroads too,' his life was at a crossroads, which way would he go?'etc. But would you agree that fork and crossroads both imply some time has passed, perhaps years, whilst in Samak's case it's only been a few weeks regarding PP party leadership.

I don't think we can use dilemma as that suggests it's very hard to choose betwen the options, rather the writer is emphasizing Samak must choose one exclusive route which precludes the other. Thus your second phrase about paths sounds better. But to my ears 'path' suggests some time hence better translated as " Samak will be forced to choose between protecting the interests of either Taksin or the people.'' duller but concise!

I've seen เเพร่ง used before suggesting a fork in the road as in reaching a point where one must choose one path, in English we might say crossroads too,' his life was at a crossroads, which way would he go?'etc. But would you agree that fork and crossroads both imply some time has passed, perhaps years, whilst in Samak's case it's only been a few weeks regarding PP party leadership.

I don't think we can use dilemma as that suggests it's very hard to choose betwen the options, rather the writer is emphasizing Samak must choose one exclusive route which precludes the other. Thus your second phrase about paths sounds better. But to my ears 'path' suggests some time hence better translated as " Samak will be forced to choose between protecting the interests of either Taksin or the people.'' duller but concise!

I like your suggestion. What bothers me about the Thai phrase is that it seems more rationally stated as ". . . แพร่งสองทาง . . . ", that is, "a fork in the road" or, more literally, "an intersection with two paths forward". Maybe is is more "ไพเราะ" the way is is stated. We deal with what we have and your suggested translation is the best.

As to the fact situation, maybe the writer is being sarcastic since Samak seems to have openly chosen the first path, although he might argue that both paths lead to the same result.

This headline is from the September 20th Matichon newspaper:

ทักษิณ"จ้อบีบีซีกลับไทยมีรัฐบาลใหม่

"Taksin Talks to the BBC; Will Return to Thailand [When] There is a New Government"

My question is about the word: "จ้อ" - from Lexiton "to talk; babble; chat". This looks suspiciously like the English "jaw", or as we might say, the verb "to jawbone." This brings to mind another word from English use in Thai, that is, the slang word "เม้าธ์", defined in Domnern-Sathienpong as "to chew the rag"; "เม้าธ์แดก", on the other hand, means "to shoot the breeze". Is this word from "mouth"?

Has anyone actual heard these usages? And, are both from English as ทับศัพท์?

เม้าธ์ is from 'mouth' and the way I hear it used in everyday speech is like a mix between to chat and to gossip.

โจรเซเว่น ฯ ( seven eleven)[21 ก.ย. 50 - 20:06]

เที่ยงคืนเศษของวันที่ 17 ก.ย. ตำรวจ กก.1 ป. สร้างผลงาน น่าชมเชยด้วยการจับแก๊งโจรปล้นร้านเซเว่นอีเลฟเว่น ย่านถนนพุทธบูชา แขวงบางมด เขตทุ่งครุ กทม. ได้

การจับกุมครั้งนี้ตำรวจกองปราบฯใช้วิธีปลอมตัวแฝงอยู่ในร้านที่คิดว่าเป็นเป้าหมายของโจร

ร.ต.อ.บุญลือ ผดุงถิ่น รอง สว.กก.1 บก.ป. ลงทุนปลอมตัวเป็นพนักงานขาย ส่วนลูกน้องที่เหลือเป็นลูกค้าบ้าง แฝงตัวอยู่รอบๆร้านบ้าง

มี 3 คนร้ายบุกเข้ามาปล้น

จึงจับไว้ได้ 2 คน ตรวจสอบพบว่าไม่ใช่โจรขาจร เป็นตัวแสบมีประวัติ อาชญากรมาทั้งคู่

สิ่งที่ทำให้ต้องคิดต่อไปคือ ทำไมกองปราบฯจึงมาซุ่มจับโจรเซเว่นฯในย่านนี้

นั่นก็เพราะโจรเยอะ

ถนนพุทธบูชาเป็นเขตรอยต่อของ 2 พื้นที่ ครึ่งหนึ่งอยู่ในท้องที่ สน. ราษฎร์บูรณะ ส่วนอีกครึ่งอยู่ท้องที่ สน.บางมด

โรงพักทั้งสองแห่งไม่ค่อยให้ความสนใจถนนสายนี้

สายตรวจมาไม่ค่อยถึง

กลายเป็นช่องโหว่ให้พวกมิจฉาชีพเข้ามาก่อคดี ตั้งแต่จี้ชิงทรัพย์ กระชากสร้อย กระชากกระเป๋า ไปจนถึงการปล้นฆ่า

คืนวันที่ 16 มิ.ย. ปล้นร้านเซเว่นฯ สาขาบ้านสวนธนคอนโด ปากซอยพุทธบูชา 42 โจรยิง น.ส.สุดใจ บัวพิไล พนักงานร้านตาย

คืนวันที่ 18 มิ.ย. นายมาโนช โสด้วง พ่อค้าตลาดนัด ถูกคนร้ายรุมฆ่าตายที่อู่จอดรถเมล์สาย 75 ซอยพุทธบูชา 36

ล่าสุด เช้าวันที่ 18 ก.ย. คนร้ายบุกเดี่ยวเข้าไปในศูนย์บริการยางกู๊ดเยียร์อีเกิ้ลสโตร์ (goodyear eagle tyre store )ของ บ.อมรประสิทธิ์เซอร์วิสไทร์ ริมถนนพุทธบูชา ตรงเข้าไปในออฟฟิศ จะฉกกระเป๋าสะพายของผู้บริหารที่วางไว้บนโต๊ะ

พอดีมีคนเห็นคนร้ายจึงวิ่งหนีไป

ก่อนหน้านี้มีคนร้ายบุกเข้ามาฉกโทรศัพท์มือถือได้ไปแล้ว

นอกจากนี้ ที่ร้านยังเคยถูกคนร้ายพยายามงัดจะเข้าไปลักทรัพย์ตอนกลางคืน แต่ร้านติดสัญญาณกันขโมยจึงรอดตัวไป

สถานที่ต่างๆเหล่านี้อยู่ห่างกันไม่เกิน 1 กม.

กลับเกิดเหตุถี่ยิบ

ยังไม่นับการจี้ชิงทรัพย์ที่มีให้เห็นเป็นประจำในซอยพุทธบูชา 35, 36 และ 39

แสดงให้เห็นว่าตำรวจท้องที่บกพร่อง

รู้อยู่แล้วว่าย่านนี้โจรผู้ร้ายชุกชุม

สายตรวจกลับหายหัว

ต้องให้ตำรวจกองปราบฯเข้ามาวางแผนจับโจรในท้องที่

สน.ราษฎร์บูรณะและ สน.บางมด ต้องพิจารณาตัวเองแล้ว.

“เพลิงมรกต”

from this mornings thai radt .

a story about a street that lies on the boundary between two police precincts , and hence gets patrolled by neither , resulting in it being a high crime street and how the police eventually managed to arrest a couple of miscreants by disguising themselves as employees in a 7/11 they expected to be robbed.

not too difficult to follow.

For some of us, including me, the most difficult part of reading the Thai newspaper is the myriad of abreviations. Here is a list from the article above along with the pronounciation and translation:

ร.ต.อ. – ร้อยตำรวจเอก [rói dtam-rûat èk], police captain; Pol. Capt.

กย. – กันยายน [gan-yaa-yon] [N] September

ตำรวจ กก. – ตำรวจกำกับการ [dtam-rûat gam gàp gaan] [N] superintendent; chief of police

สว. – สารวัตร [săan-wát per Thai2English but commonly pronounced săa-rá-wát] [N] (police) inspector

มิ.ย. – มิถุนายน [mí-tòo-naa-yon] [N] June

บก.ป. – กอง “บังคับการปราบปราม” [bang káp gaan bpràap bpraam] Police Crime Suppression Unit

For some of us, including me, the most difficult part of reading the Thai newspaper is the myriad of abreviations. Here is a list from the article above along with the pronounciation and translation:

ร.ต.อ. – ร้อยตำรวจเอก [rói dtam-rûat èk], police captain; Pol. Capt.

กย. – กันยายน [gan-yaa-yon] [N] September

ตำรวจ กก. – ตำรวจกำกับการ [dtam-rûat gam gàp gaan] [N] superintendent; chief of police

สว. – สารวัตร [săan-wát per Thai2English but commonly pronounced săa-rá-wát] [N] (police) inspector

มิ.ย. – มิถุนายน [mí-tòo-naa-yon] [N] June

บก.ป. – กอง "บังคับการปราบปราม" [bang káp gaan bpràap bpraam] Police Crime Suppression Unit

Sorry no Thai font available here but here are a couple more (fairly common usage):

Paw Baw Taw Baw = Phu Bangkap Taharn Bok = Chief of Army

[edit: ผบ.ทบ. [N] Commander-in-Chief of the Army Syn. ผู้บัญชาการทหารบก]

Paw Baw Taw Baw = Phu Bangkap Tee Baan = The missus

[edit: ผบ.ทบ. ผู้บังคับที่บ้าน]

By the way, fascinating and very useful thread, thanks guys.

I like that ผบทบ -the missus!

Is a counter coup against her possible? Unlikely I feel!

Regarding acronyms, I found it useful to buy an exercise book, mark the pages according to the Thai alphabet and then file in acronyms according to their first Thai letter with the meaning in English and full wording in Thai. Create your own mini dictionary as it were. That way it's easy to reference them later when the acronym crops up again.

A point to remember is new acronyms are constantly being created and used in newspapers, an example being the recent anti coup movement- นปค if I remember rightly, so obviously dictionaries can't keep up to date with these.

The following is from an article in today's Matichon regarding the new Thai law prohibiting publicization of intra-family violence, once the proper authorities have been notified:

"คือเรื่องถึงมือพนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุดรายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้"

I am having difficulty parsing out the second clause. There seem to be two verbal clauses but I am not sure where the line between the two should be drawn. The first predicate is ". . . ต้องหยุดรายงาน . . ." and the second is ". . . . ต่อไปไม่ได้".

One reading is, "Once the proper authorities have the matter in hand [or have been notified), the press is required to stop reporting the news item and may not [report] any progress in the cast thereafter." This would create two clauses, the first, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุดรายงานข่าวสาร" and the second, "ความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้", which I realize is not a fully formed clause. Alternatively, the first clause could be, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุด" and the second, "รายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้". This second reading at least completes the second clause but leaves the first without an object.

The translation may not change very much but I would like to understand the Thai phraseology. Thanks for your assistance.

Regarding acronyms, I found it useful to buy an exercise book, mark the pages according to the Thai alphabet and then file in acronyms according to their first Thai letter with the meaning in English and full wording in Thai. Create your own mini dictionary as it were. That way it's easy to reference them later when the acronym crops up again.

A point to remember is new acronyms are constantly being created and used in newspapers, an example being the recent anti coup movement- นปค if I remember rightly, so obviously dictionaries can't keep up to date with these.

Seems like a good idea to me, consider it done. By the way have you and Snow Leapord decided whether it is accordingly or appropriately yet? LOL :o

Seems like a good idea to me, consider it done. By the way have you and Snow Leapord decided whether it is accordingly or appropriately yet? LOL :o

Leopard

A great source for police ranks and functions can be found at http://www.buriram.police.go.th/chamni/data/eng_pol.htm

The information is in both Thai and English.

For you Scandanavian members out there, I have attached an article from yesterday's Matichon. The article cited a Reader's Digest article regarding a survey conducted of the best places in the world to live. Here is the first paragraph:

"ผลการสำรวจที่ตีพิมพ์ในนิตยสารรีดเดอร์ ไดเจสท์ เมื่อวันที่ 20 กันยายน ระบุว่า ประเทศในแถบสแกนดิเนเวียดูแลรักษาสภาพแวดล้อมและประชาชนของพวกเขาได้ดีที่สุด โดยฟินแลนด์มาเป็นอันดับที่ 1 จาก 141 ประเทศตามมาด้วยไอซ์แลนด์ นอร์เวย์ สวีเดน ออสเตรีย สวิตเซอร์แลนด์ ไอร์แลนด์ และออสเตรเลีย ตามลำดับ ขณะที่ไทยนั้นอยู่ในอันดับที่ 61"

"On September 20th The Readers Digest published an article showing the results of a survey showing that countries in Scandanavia took care of their environments and population the best [of any other country]. Coming out number 1 out of 141 countries was Finland, followed by Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, and Australia in that order. On the other hand, Thailand came out number 61."

Matichon_22_09_50A.doc

ID: 75   Posted (edited)

ขณะที่

are there any other ways of saying "on the other hand"

i read ขณะที่ more as 'whilst'

( nit picking i know , but its a quiet sunday morning.)

Edited by taxexile