Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meadish_sweetball

Thai Newspaper Headlines

304 posts in this topic

ขณะที่

are there any other ways of saying "on the other hand"

i read ขณะที่ more as 'whilst'

( nit picking i know , but its a quiet sunday morning.)

Lexitron says, "on the other hand [idiom] ; ในทางตรงข้าม"; a related term, it says, is "ในทางกลับกัน."

Another source book shows a bunch of synonyms for ขณะที่ but almost all deal with the temporal meaning of the phrase, such as, ตอนที่ ในระหว่างที่ ในเวลา เมื่อตอน etc.

Interesting distinction in your English: "Whilst", chiefly a British term, can mean "during the time that" and "at the same time that on the contrary." You imply that you want the Thai equivalent of the latter, not the former. (We Americans are too hillbilly to use a sophisticated term like "whilst".)

ขณะที่

are there any other ways of saying "on the other hand"

i read ขณะที่ more as 'whilst'

( nit picking i know , but its a quiet sunday morning.)

Lexitron says, "on the other hand [idiom] ; ในทางตรงข้าม"; a related term, it says, is "ในทางกลับกัน."

Another source book shows a bunch of synonyms for ขณะที่ but almost all deal with the temporal meaning of the phrase, such as, ตอนที่ ในระหว่างที่ ในเวลา เมื่อตอน etc.

Interesting distinction in your English: "Whilst", chiefly a British term, can mean "during the time that" and "at the same time that on the contrary." You imply that you want the Thai equivalent of the latter, not the former. (We Americans are too hillbilly to use a sophisticated term like "whilst".)

ในทางกลับกัน would be my preference for "on the other hand"

The following is from an article in today's Matichon regarding the new Thai law prohibiting publicization of intra-family violence, once the proper authorities have been notified:

"คือเรื่องถึงมือพนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุดรายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้"

I am having difficulty parsing out the second clause. There seem to be two verbal clauses but I am not sure where the line between the two should be drawn. The first predicate is ". . . ต้องหยุดรายงาน . . ." and the second is ". . . . ต่อไปไม่ได้".

One reading is, "Once the proper authorities have the matter in hand [or have been notified), the press is required to stop reporting the news item and may not [report] any progress in the cast thereafter." This would create two clauses, the first, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุดรายงานข่าวสาร" and the second, "ความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้", which I realize is not a fully formed clause. Alternatively, the first clause could be, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุด" and the second, "รายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้". This second reading at least completes the second clause but leaves the first without an object.

The translation may not change very much but I would like to understand the Thai phraseology. Thanks for your assistance.

Hi David. I have read this sentence 6 times now, and I am as confused as you.

Could it be the sentence was rewritten a few times by the author who forgot to erase ไม่ได้ from an earlier construction, and this then escaped the eyes of the proofreader?

The following is from an article in today's Matichon regarding the new Thai law prohibiting publicization of intra-family violence, once the proper authorities have been notified:

"คือเรื่องถึงมือพนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุดรายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้"

I am having difficulty parsing out the second clause. There seem to be two verbal clauses but I am not sure where the line between the two should be drawn. The first predicate is ". . . ต้องหยุดรายงาน . . ." and the second is ". . . . ต่อไปไม่ได้".

One reading is, "Once the proper authorities have the matter in hand [or have been notified), the press is required to stop reporting the news item and may not [report] any progress in the cast thereafter." This would create two clauses, the first, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุดรายงานข่าวสาร" and the second, "ความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้", which I realize is not a fully formed clause. Alternatively, the first clause could be, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุด" and the second, "รายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้". This second reading at least completes the second clause but leaves the first without an object.

The translation may not change very much but I would like to understand the Thai phraseology. Thanks for your assistance.

Hi David. I have read this sentence 6 times now, and I am as confused as you.

Could it be the sentence was rewritten a few times by the author who forgot to erase ไม่ได้ from an earlier construction, and this then escaped the eyes of the proofreader?

Great answer; thanks.

Alternatively, the first clause could be, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุด" and the second, "รายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้". This second reading at least completes the second clause but leaves the first without an object.

This sentiment have answered your question already. I think the mistake of this article is the error of leaving space.

"คือเรื่องถึงมือพนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุด รายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไร(อีก)ต่อไปไม่ได้"

It would sound better if add อีก in this sentence.

The topic sentence from an article in today's Matichon is as follows:

"เป็นเรื่องตลกที่ขำไม่ออกและกลายเป็นเรื่องเศร้าที่น่าสลดใจอย่างยิ่งสำหรับคนในกระบวนการยุติธรรม "

This is the first time I have seen the phrase "เป็นเรื่องตลกที่ขำไม่ออก"; I wonder if the English equivalent is "It is no laughing matter that . . . " or "I can find nothing to laugh about in this rediculous matter . . . "

The entire sentence would then read, "It is no laughing matter, but it is rather sad and heartbreaking for people who work in the judicial process."

Any thoughts? Seems like a good phrase to add to one's active vocabulary. Thanks.

Here is an interesting line from this week's Matichon Weekend:

"พล.อ.สุรยุทธ์ จะได้ปรับคณะรัฐมนตรีแบบ "บัวไม่ช้ำน้ำไม่ขุ่น" เพราะรัฐมนตรีทุกคนเสียสละลาออกเอง"

The question is the meaning of the phrase, "บัวไม่ช้ำน้ำไม่ขุ่น". The Thai book, "2,000 Metaphors" provides the following definition:

"รู้จักผ่อนปรนเข้าหากันมิให้กระทบกระเทือนใจกัน, ไม่ให้เดือดร้อนหรือกินใจด้วยกันทุกฝ่าย"

"to know how to alleviate [conflict] so that disagreement does not arise; to [prevent] distress or distrust among all parties."

A literal reading of the phrase would be, "to keep the lotus flowers from being crushed and to prevent the waters from becoming turbid [muddy]"

We have a similar, although not identical phrase in English for the second part of the metaphor, that is, "to muddy the waters." In English, to "muddy the waters" usually means "confuse the issue" but to state the phrase in the negative context, it could also mean to reduce conflict by creating clarity out of confusion.

So, here is a suggested translation of the sentence:

"General Surayut will have achieved a change in his Counsel of Ministers in a manner to "clear the waters" because all the [affected] ministers will have sacrificed themselves and resigned on their own."

Any thoughts?

ID: 83   Posted (edited)

a story from thai radt about the rougher and more unpleasant side of life on kao san road and its upsetting effect on local residents who have to walk through the area regularly.

มือน้อยๆที่ถนนข้าวสาร---------------------------------

สุภาพสตรีที่อาศัยอยู่ในถนนข้าวสาร บางลำพู ย่านพักอาศัยที่นักท่องเที่ยวต่างชาติ เล่าถึงสิ่งที่ได้พบเห็นทุกวันบนถนนข้าวสารว่า มีหลายความรู้สึกเกิดขึ้น บนถนน

แห่งนี้

นอกจากแผงลอยขายเหล้า ที่ตำรวจปล่อยให้เข้ามาเปิดขายมากมายหลายแผงตามที่มีผู้ร้องเรียนแล้ว

ยังปล่อยให้นักเที่ยวทั้งคนไทยและต่างชาตินั่งกันบนทางเท้าเต็มไปหมด

จนบางวันไม่มีที่จะเดิน

ที่เห็นแล้วรู้สึกว่าขัดหูขัดตาอีกอย่าง ก็คือ เด็กเร่ขายดอกไม้ ต้องบอกว่าเด็กยังเล็กมาก ๆ มีทั้งผู้หญิงและผู้ชาย เดินขายกันทั้งคืน ไม่ยอมหลับยอมนอน

อดคิดไม่ได้ว่า พ่อแม่ของเด็กเหล่านี้อยู่ที่ไหน ทำไมตำรวจ จึงปล่อยให้เด็กตัวเล็ก ๆ เหล่านี้มาทำมาหากินทั้งคืน น่าจะเรียกผู้ปกครองมาตักเตือนเสียบ้าง

หลายครั้ง พอคนต่างชาติมานั่งดื่มกิน เมาไม่ได้สติ ก็ไม่ระวังตัว เด็กบางคนฉวยโอกาสล้วงกระเป๋า

เธอเห็นมากับตา

เธอยืนยันว่าไม่ได้อคติหรือใส่ร้ายเด็ก แต่เห็นเด็กทำจริง ๆ โดยมีผู้ใหญ่บางคนสอนให้ทำ

พอพานักท่องเที่ยวต่างชาติไปแจ้งความที่โรงพัก ตำรวจก็แค่ลงบันทึกประจำวันเอกสารหาย ไม่มีการสืบสวนหรือติดตามจับกุมใคร

ต่อมา ความรู้สึกของเธอกับเด็กเร่ขายดอกไม้ ก็เปลี่ยนไป

วันนั้น เป็นวันที่ 30 ส.ค. หลังเลิกงานกลับบ้าน เดินผ่านถนนข้าวสารเหมือนกับทุก ๆ วัน

เกิดเหตุการณ์ที่น่าตกใจ

เด็กเสริฟร้านอาหารร้านหนึ่ง รุมชกต่อยฝรั่ง

จนหน้าตาแตก เลือดท่วมตัว แต่ไม่มีใครช่วยเหลือห้ามปราม ทั้งคนไทยและนักท่องเที่ยวต่างชาติ ต่างยืนดู

ส่วนตำรวจไม่รู้ไปอยู่ไหน

บรรดาเด็กเสิร์ฟในคราบอันธพาล รุมทำร้ายจนหนำใจ ก็แยกย้ายกันกลับไป ทิ้งให้ฝรั่งคนนั้นฟุบจมกองเลือด

สิ่งที่ทำให้เธอ ต้องน้ำตาซึมก็คือ มีมือน้อย ๆ จากเด็กเร่ขายดอกไม้ตัวเล็ก ๆ 2-3 คน ช่วยกันเอากระดาษทิชชู ซับเลือดให้ฝรั่งคนนั้น

ตัวเธอเองก็อดสงสารฝรั่งคนนั้นไม่ได้ แต่ไม่กล้าทำอะไรมาก ได้แต่วิ่งไปตามตำรวจให้มาดู ตำรวจกลับบอกว่า "รู้แล้ว ฝรั่งเมาแล้วกวนตีน"

จากนั้น ตำรวจคนนั้นก็เดินหนีไป.

สุภาพสตรี lady.

ร้องเรียน complain , protest.

ขัดหูขัดตา something unpleasant to see/hear.

อดคิดไม่ได้ว่า cant help but think that .....

อคติ prejudice , bias.

ใส่ร้าย malign , vilify

รุม to throng around , to mob.

ฟุบจมกองเลือด to collapse in a pool of blood

อดสงสารฝรั่ง cant help but feeling sorry for the foriegner

กวนตีน despicable

Edited by taxexile

I have a question regarding the meaning of the following noun phrase:

บรรดาเด็กเสิร์ฟในคราบอันธพาล

คราบ , in addition to its literal meaning of "stain, mark, spot, or crust", is also used metaphorically to mean "in the guise of". อันธพาล means "delinquent; rascally; wayward; rough; unruly; refractory; recalcitrant."

What would be a meaningful translation of the entire phrase, then? Actually, I could understand the meaning more clearly if the phrase read,

"บรรดาอันธพาลในคราบเด็กเสิร์ฟ"

In effect, "ruffians in the guise of waiters." That would have a more biting meaning. Hopefully, there is a more reasonable reading.

Thanks; I appreciate both the post and for giving the reader a vocabulary list.

i wondered about that too , were there thugs hanging around there who pretended to be waiting staff in order to attack foriegners ?

but my understanding is that the waiters , possibly after being provoked , acted like thugs and attacked the foriegner ( who was drunk and probably unruly), as opposed to the other way round.

any other interpretations ??

i wondered about that too , were there thugs hanging around there who pretended to be waiting staff in order to attack foriegners ?

but my understanding is that the waiters , possibly after being provoked , acted like thugs and attacked the foriegner ( who was drunk and probably unruly), as opposed to the other way round.

You are correct, of course. I was just hoping for more poetry from the writer. "Thugs in waiter's clothing", like the proverbial wolf, would have been cool.

You are correct, of course. I was just hoping for more poetry from the writer. "Thugs in waiter's clothing", like the proverbial wolf, would have been cool.

All in all the article is a pretty sad reflection of several things, the indifference of the police towards crimes committed against drunken foreigners, the fact that there are extremely young boys and girls selling flowers until all hours and the willingness of a bunch of Thais to assault a drunk foreigner.

Good to see that the concerned citizen got published though.

ID: 88   Posted (edited)

how illegal workers are enriching the police in phuket and phangnga.

phenomenal amounts of money !!!

it illustrates how poor lawmaking encourages corrupt practices that enrich the police ( and probably government officials) and deprive the government of much needed revenue

its from todays thai radt.

i have tried to translate the article , and make it readable in english.

any comments , criticisms and corrections will be most welcome .

แรงงานเถื่อน [3 ต.ค. 50 - 19:54]

illegal labourers.

เจ้าหน้าที่กระทรวงแรงงานใน จ.พังงา แจ้งว่า สถานการณ์ แรงงานต่างด้าวที่

officials at the ministry of labour in phang-nga province report that the situation regarding alien workers ,

เรียกว่าแรงงานเถื่อนในเมืองไทยอยู่ในขั้นวิกฤติน่าเป็นห่วง เพราะผู้มีอำนาจกวดขันจับกุมมุ่งแต่หาผลประโยชน์

i.e. illegal workers , in thailand , has reached a worryingly critical state. this is due to influential figures applying the law and arresting them in order to take advantage of their situation.

ที่ จ.พังงา และ จ.ภูเก็ต มีแรงงานต่างด้าวผิดกฎหมายเดินกันขวักไขว่ไม่ต่ำกว่าครึ่งแสนคน

in pangnga and phuket provinces there are at least 50,000 illegal alien workers on the ground.

เห็นได้ตามสถานที่ก่อสร้างต่างๆ ซุปเปอร์ซัป ภูเก็ต ทับระมุ แพปลาคุระบุรี โรงเลื่อยไม้ยางพารา สวนยางพารา เรือประมง ฯลฯ

it can be seen on the various construction sites . supersap phuket ,tapramu , fishing rafts in kuraburi , sawmills , rubber plantations and fisheries etc. that

แต่ละแห่งมีแรงงานเถื่อนเป็นร้อยๆ บางแห่งเกือบพันคน

each place has hundreds of illegal workers , some have almost a thousand.

นายจ้างส่วนใหญ่จะมีแรงงานต่างด้าวจดทะเบียนเอาไว้รายละ 10-15 คน

most hirers register only 10 to 15 of their workers

เอาไว้เป็นไม้กันผี

to keep the authorities happy,

ที่เหลือใช้วิธีจ่ายเป็นรายหัวให้ตำรวจในอัตราหัวละ 500 บาทต่อเดือน

as for the rest of the workers , they pay the police 500b per head per month.

เหตุที่นายจ้างเลือกที่จะจ่ายให้ตำรวจ เพราะหากต้องการทำแรงงานเถื่อนให้ถูกกฎหมายนายจ้างต้องสำรองจ่ายหัวละ 3,800 บาท

the reason they choose to pay off the police is because if the want to follow the law they would have to pay 3800b/head as a security to the labour department.

ยังมีปัญหาอีกว่า หากได้ใบอนุญาตแล้วแรงงานเปลี่ยนนายจ้างก็สูญเงินเปล่า

furthermore , if a registered worker changes job , the hirer would lose the security deposit.

จ่ายให้ตำรวจดีกว่า

its cheaper to pay off the police.

จากการสำรวจล่าสุดประมาณว่า มีแรงงานเถื่อนเข้ามาทำงานเฉพาะธุรกิจประมงราว 1.5 แสนคน

according to the latest data , there are about 150,000 illegal workers in the fishing industry alone.

หากจดทะเบียนถูกต้องก็จะมีเงินเข้ารัฐเกือบ 300 ล้านบาท

if they register according to the law , the government would receive 300 million baht.

ปัจจุบันนายจ้างจ่ายตำรวจหัวละ 500 บาทต่อเดือน 1 ปี เป็นเงินรวม 900 ล้านบาท

at the moment , the hirers are paying the police 500b/head/month , that is 900 million/year.

หากรวมธุรกิจประเภทอื่นๆเข้าไปด้วย เงินจากแรงงานเถื่อนจะเข้ากระเป๋าตำรวจเป็นพันๆล้านบาท

if all the businesses pay the police , the police will gain thousands of million baht.

ดังนั้น ต้องคานอำนาจตำรวจ

therefore , inorder to reduce the influence of the police,

ทุกวันนี้ผู้ที่จะจับแรงงานต่างด้าวได้มีแต่ตำรวจเท่านั้น

who are the only ones who have the power to arrest the illegals.

ในส่วนของกระทรวงแรงงานฯ หน่วยงานที่มีหน้าที่ดูแลการทำงานของแรงงานต่างด้าวคือจัดหางานจังหวัด

the section of the labour ministry that deals with the affairs of the immigrant workers is the "provincial office of employment"

ทุกวันนี้จัดหางานจังหวัดมีหน้าที่ตรวจตราแต่ไม่มีอำนาจจับกุม

these days the p.o.e. has the duty to inspect , but they have no authority to arrest.

เมื่อพบแรงงานต่างด้าวต้องจดบันทึก ถ่ายรูป แล้วกลับมาทำหนังสือเสนอ ผวจ.เพื่อขอกำลังตำรวจเข้าจับกุม

when the p.o.e find illegal workers , they make a note and take a photo , report back to the provincial governor , who will then instruct the police to arrest.

ในทางปฏิบัติไม่ได้ผล

practically , this doesnt work

เมื่อทางจังหวัดขอกำลังจากตำรวจเพื่อจับกุม จะมีสายส่งข่าวไปเตือนนายจ้างล่วงหน้า กว่าตำรวจจะไปถึงแรงงานเถื่อนก็เผ่นหนีไปหมดแล้ว

when the governor asks the police to take action , an informant will warn the hirer in advance , before the police arrive and the illegal workers can run off.

เมื่อตำรวจมีอำนาจจับกุมไม่ยอมจับ

even though the police have the authority to arrest , they often dont.

กระทรวงแรงงานฯก็ต้องลุกขึ้นมาต่อสู้ นอกจากจะเป็นการคานอำนาจตำรวจแล้ว ยังเป็นการต้อนแรงงานเถื่อนให้เข้าระบบ

the ministry of labour should stand up and fight back , not only in order to reduce the power of the police , but in order to bring the illegal workers into the system.

ให้เสียเงินเข้ารัฐ ดีกว่าเข้ากระเป๋าตำรวจ.

its better to give the money to the govt. than put it into the pocket of the police.

“เพลิงมรกต”

จัดหางานจังหวัด i have translated this as " provincial employment office" because i dont know the actual name of the department.

เอาไว้เป็นไม้กันผี not at all sure how to translate this expression .

Edited by taxexile

ID: 89   Posted (edited)

Michael Wright pens articles for Matichon Weekly called "ฝรั่งมองไทย", "A Foreigner's View of Thailand". This week he has a short but pointed article comparing Thailand to Burma. In his concluding paragraph he says,

"ผมไม่อยากชวนคนไทยให้ทะเลาะกัน แต่มนุษย์ที่มีชีวิตย่อมทะเลาะกันให้ได้ อีนังโมหิณีเสนอว่า ;-

"ขอให้คนไทยทะเลาะกันเถิด จะได้มีความคิดก้าวหน้า แต่ขออย่าให้เอาเยี่ยงอย่างพม่า อย่าตราหน้ากันเป็น "ขาว" กับ "ดำ" จนหมดเวทีเจรจา" "

"I do not wish to ask that Thais quarrel with one another but any human beings who are still alive have a tendency to disagree and to argue. Ee Nang Mohini has said,

'Let Thai people quarrel with one another; [quarreling] can only help them to think and to progress. But, please, do not let [the Thais] be like the Burmese who tend to label each other as "black" or "white". [These labels] eliminate the opportunity for negotiations.' "

My question is, who is อีนังโมหิณี ?

Edited by DavidHouston

Looks like 'Mohini' is an avatar of Vishnu's, and apparently 'อีนัง' is a female impolite form of address. In this context, I am not sure whether this refers to the actual avatar of Vishnu as a literary/religious character, or a person well-known to Thais who is named after the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohini

...or the Vishnu connection could just be a coincidence, of course.

โมหิณี is the name if his cat, the one he always put her character in his article. She is the cat who always give him wise and sarcastic comments.

'อีนัง' is used as Meadish has explained. Sometimes you would see on his article that he addressed his cat as อีโมหิณี or นังแมวขี้โมโห( โมหิณี also mean angry)

ID: 92   Posted (edited)

ตำรวจวันนี้ [16 ต.ค. 50 - 19:10]

เมื่อวันที่ 13 ต.ค.ที่ผ่านมา สำนักงานตำรวจแห่งชาติจัดงานวัน ตำรวจยิ่งใหญ่กว่าทุกปี มีพิธีถวายสัตย์ปฏิญาณและสวนสนามที่สนาม ราชมังคลากีฬาสถาน เพื่อถวายพระพรชัยมงคล เนื่องในโอกาสที่พระบาทสมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัวทรงเจริญพระชนมพรรษา 80 พรรษา

พล.อ.สุรยุทธ์ จุลานนท์ นายกรัฐมนตรี ไปเป็นประธาน พล.ต.อ.เสรีพิศุทธ์ เตมียาเวส ผบ.ตร. นำตัวแทนตำรวจจากทุกกองบัญชาการเข้าร่วม

เต็มสนามกว่า 5 หมื่นคน

มีการถ่ายทอดสดทางทีวีช่อง 11 และสถานีวิทยุหลายคลื่นในเครือข่ายของตำรวจ

ทำให้ประชาชนที่เข้าไปร่วมชมในสนามกีฬาและผู้ชมผู้ฟังการถ่ายทอดสด ต่างประทับใจในความแข็งขันของตำรวจ

ที่ตั้งใจจะปฏิบัติหน้าที่เพื่อประเทศชาติและประชาชน

วันเดียวกัน สถานีวิทยุ สวพ.91 หรือสถานีวิทยุพิทักษ์สันติราษฎร์ ได้เปิดเผยผลสำรวจความคิดเห็นของประชาชน ในหัวข้อ "ปัจจุบันคุณ... รู้สึกอย่างไรกับ เจ้าหน้าที่ตำรวจ"

จากผู้ฟังเกือบ 2 พันคน

ผลการสำรวจเป็นที่น่ายินดี เมื่อประชาชนร้อยละ 68.7 รู้สึกดีและเห็นใจการปฏิบัติหน้าที่ของตำรวจ

ตัวเลขนี้เพิ่มมากกว่าการสำรวจเมื่อปี 2548 ถึงร้อยละ 65.37

สิ่งที่ประชาชนประทับใจตำรวจมากที่สุดคือ การบริการ รองลงไปได้แก่ ความโปร่งใสในการปฏิบัติงาน และความยุติธรรมที่ได้รับเมื่อไปติดต่อราชการ

ส่วนประชาชนที่รู้สึกไม่พอใจการปฏิบัติหน้าที่ของตำรวจ ยังมีอยู่บ้างคือร้อยละ 29.34

ความไม่พอใจมากที่สุดอยู่ที่การตั้งด่านตรวจจับและรีดไถของตำรวจจราจร

อันดับต่อมาได้แก่ คดีไม่คืบหน้า ล่าช้าในการติดตามจับกุมคนร้าย

ติดตามด้วยพฤติกรรมก้าวร้าว ไม่สุภาพของตำรวจ

สุดท้ายคือ ปัญหาอาชญากรรม ความไม่ปลอดภัยในชีวิตและทรัพย์สิน

นั่นคือสิ่งที่ต้องแก้ไข

เห็นได้ว่า ความไม่พอใจของประชาชนเป็นเรื่องเก่าๆที่รู้ๆกันอยู่แล้ว ไม่ว่าจะเป็น การตั้งด่านจับหรือรีดไถ คดีล่าช้า พฤติกรรมไม่สุภาพ และปัญหาอาชญากรรม

จึงเป็นหน้าที่ของผู้บังคับบัญชาทุกระดับชั้นที่ต้องเข้มงวดกวดขันกับลูกน้อง

ประเด็นที่น่าสนใจในการสำรวจครั้งนี้พบว่า ประชาชนร้อยละ 93.41 เคยมีประสบการณ์ในการติดต่อราชการกับตำรวจ

ดังนั้น ภาพพจน์ที่ดีของตำรวจไม่ได้อยู่ที่การถวายสัตย์ปฏิญาณ หรือสวนสนามอย่างเข้มแข็งในวันตำรวจเท่านั้น

แต่อยู่ที่การปฏิบัติงานที่ประชาชนสัมผัสได้.

"เพลิงมรกต"

could someone help me out with suitable translations for the words in red please and how they fit into the sentences.

thanks.

Edited by taxexile

Here is a very small piece of the puzzle: ได้แก่ belongs together, and means 'for example' or 'such as' (note that the following text is a list of what aspects of the policework people were satisfied with).

I am not sure, but I am guessing that the entire phrase 'รองลงไปได้แก่' can be loosely translated as 'followed by'. One meaning of รอง is subordinate, and ลงไป describes succession in a downward movement, so we can visualize the different traits as a list with การบริการ (service) at the top, followed by ความโปร่งใสในการปฏิบัติงาน (transparency of work performance) and ความยุติธรรมที่ได้รับเมื่อไปติดต่อราชการ (fairness experienced when contacting the authorities).

thanks meadish ,

นำตัวแทนตำรวจจากทุกกองบัญชาการเข้าร่วม

this sentence i figured out as "brought a representative from each (district) police headquarters to join (the ceremony)

ID: 95   Posted (edited)

Good choice for an article to study, taxexile.

ความโปร่งใส is a relatively recent political term meaning transparency in government (i.e., the opposite of corruption). Although the component parts have always existed in the language, the term was coined by Anand to refer to public affairs and (the need for) honest conduct of officials.

Before that, there was no such term, because the very concept of demanding open and honest government was not so strong in the public discourse, according to what I have read concerning that definition of the word. It seems he took his cue from the political meaning of the English word transparency, and introduced its equivalent in Thai (in the early 1990s, I believe).

Edited by mangkorn

ID: 96   Posted (edited)

Another small paragraph from Matichon and the political struggle between Sanoh and Prasong:

เจอ "มธุรสวาจา" ของคนการเมืองพันธุ์แท้เข้าไป "เด็กอนุบาลการเมือง" อย่าง "ประชัย" ที่เคยฝันหวานประกาศว่าจะขอสัมผัสเก้าอี้ รมว.คลังในอดีต ถึงกับเคลิบเคลิ้มและอ่อนระทวย ประกาศลาออกจากพรรคประชาราชหลังร่วมอุดมการณ์กันได้เพียง 15 วัน!!

What is the meaning of "มธุรสวาจา"? I can't find the word in the Thai-English dictionaries I have but the Royal Institute Dictionary says, "มธุรส น. นํ้าผึ้ง, รสหวาน, อ้อย. ว. ไพเราะ เช่น มธุรสวาจา. (ป., ส.). " 'ma[HS]-thoo[HS]-rot[HS]' N. Honey, sweet taste, sugarcane. metaphor. 'sweet sounding', for example, 'ma[HS]-thoo[HS]-rot[HS]-waa[ML]-jaa[ML] (Pali, Sanskrit)'

(Please correct the pronounciation shown, if incorrect.)

I don't know how old this term is but it may be a parallel to the English language metaphor, "honeyed", meaning ingratiating, as in "honeyed words."

Two more words which are new to me:

เคลิบเคลิ้ม [V] enchant; fascinate; attract

อ่อนระทวย [V] be feeble; be weary; be tired; be worn out; be exhausted

The sentence might then be rendered:

"We hear these 'honeyed words' from dyed-in-the-wool politicians [like Sanoh] who [accuse] 'Prachai' of being a 'political babe-in-the-woods'. [This same Prachai] who had sweet dreams of occupying chair of the Minister of Finance, a position for which [he was both] fascinated and [the quest for which ultimately] wore him out. [Prachai] announced that he was resigning from the Royal People's Party, after having joined in [the development of a statement] of principles only 15 days ago."

I am not confident in my interpretation and would sure appreciate some assistance in helping to parse out the correct meaning of the Matichon sentence above. Thanks.

Edited by DavidHouston

some new expressions for me there too.

but how do you arrive at "accuse" , or is that understood from a previous sentence ?

ID: 98   Posted (edited)

some new expressions for me there too.

but how do you arrive at "accuse" , or is that understood from a previous sentence ?

The use of the term is a guess on my part. The use of the term "babe-in-the-woods" was not intended by Khun Sunoh to be flattering. I would welcome another translation of the term "เข้าไป" in that context. One of my basic principles is that the propensity for error increases the more I need to use bracketed English words to explain a Thai sentence. And, I used a lot of brackets!

Thanks.

Edited by DavidHouston

i dont follow thai politics and so dont know much (i.e. anything) about the characters mentioned or the intrigues they are part of , however my initial understanding of the first sentence would be

we come across these honeyed words from pure politicians (meaning, naive as opposed to businessmen/army/police who have entered the political arena bringing some real world pragmatism , clout with them) still in political kindergarten (i.e. relatively inexperienced) , like Prachai.

"เข้าไป" has got me stumped too !

i would like to use it as " not out of (political kindergarten yet) "

is prachai a relative newcomer to politics? and what is his background ? police , army ??

Another small paragraph from Matichon and the political struggle between Sanoh and Prasong:

เจอ "มธุรสวาจา" ของคนการเมืองพันธุ์แท้เข้าไป "เด็กอนุบาลการเมือง" อย่าง "ประชัย" ที่เคยฝันหวานประกาศว่าจะขอสัมผัสเก้าอี้ รมว.คลังในอดีต ถึงกับเคลิบเคลิ้มและอ่อนระทวย ประกาศลาออกจากพรรคประชาราชหลังร่วมอุดมการณ์กันได้เพียง 15 วัน!!

What is the meaning of "มธุรสวาจา"? I can't find the word in the Thai-English dictionaries I have but the Royal Institute Dictionary says, "มธุรส น. นํ้าผึ้ง, รสหวาน, อ้อย. ว. ไพเราะ เช่น มธุรสวาจา. (ป., ส.). " 'ma[HS]-thoo[HS]-rot[HS]' N. Honey, sweet taste, sugarcane. metaphor. 'sweet sounding', for example, 'ma[HS]-thoo[HS]-rot[HS]-waa[ML]-jaa[ML] (Pali, Sanskrit)'

(Please correct the pronounciation shown, if incorrect.)

I don't know how old this term is but it may be a parallel to the English language metaphor, "honeyed", meaning ingratiating, as in "honeyed words."

Two more words which are new to me:

เคลิบเคลิ้ม [V] enchant; fascinate; attract

อ่อนระทวย [V] be feeble; be weary; be tired; be worn out; be exhausted

The sentence might then be rendered:

"We hear these 'honeyed words' from dyed-in-the-wool politicians [like Sanoh] who [accuse] 'Prachai' of being a 'political babe-in-the-woods'. [This same Prachai] who had sweet dreams of occupying chair of the Minister of Finance, a position for which [he was both] fascinated and [the quest for which ultimately] wore him out. [Prachai] announced that he was resigning from the Royal People's Party, after having joined in [the development of a statement] of principles only 15 days ago."

I am not confident in my interpretation and would sure appreciate some assistance in helping to parse out the correct meaning of the Matichon sentence above. Thanks.

I suspect the writer is having fun, being sarcastic regarding Prachai. Everyone knows Sanoh was putting Prachai down for political naivety. Perhaps if we made it more concise it could be translated as:

I heard sweet words from a truly professional politician referring to political babes-in-the-woods such as Prachai who once dreamed of occupying the coveted Finance Minister's seat, that fascination seems to have worn itself out.( He's announced recently he wanted to be PM).Prachai has announced his resignation from Pracharat Party after sharing their ideals for only 15 days!

มธุรสวาจา may be the high class version of คำหวาน