Schools In Buriram

13 replies to this topic

#1 expatman

expatman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 2007-07-16 15:55:24

Currently my son is attending an English-language kindergarten in Bangkok, but next year will start attending a Thai school. I can't afford an international school, but also I want him to be able to read/write Thai and learn the Thai curriculum with perhaps some extra English classes on Saturdays.

Perhaps this will be in Buriram, so I need to collect info on schools in Buriram. Are there any good public schools there, or perhaps some reasonably-priced private schools ? Any with some classes in English (is this a silly question) ?

Any and all information, especially personal experiences and recommendations would be appreciated.

#2 Iambabababor

Iambabababor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 2007-07-17 18:40:08

There is an excellent Private school in Prakhonchai - 44kms south of Buriram

#3 Tilapia

Tilapia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 2007-07-17 19:33:10

In Buri-Ram there is North-Eastern and Marie-Anusorn, both private schools and not expensive.

Tilapia

#4 expatman

expatman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 2007-07-18 13:32:39

There is an excellent Private school in Prakhonchai - 44kms south of Buriram

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's too far away from town

#5 expatman

expatman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 2007-07-18 13:43:35

In Buri-Ram there is North-Eastern and Marie-Anusorn, both private schools and not expensive.

Tilapia

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you have any personal experiences with these schools ?

I found a website for Marie-Anusorn School, but unfortunately it's all in Thai. However, I think I've walked by this school - is it the one downtown with exercise equipment on the sidewalk and across from the shop selling school uniforms and supplies ? My wife or I will have to check this one out personally.

I couldn't find any info on North-Eastern - can you give me any more details ?

#6 Tilapia

Tilapia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 2007-07-18 21:30:43

Tilapia

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you have any personal experiences with these schools ?

I found a website for Marie-Anusorn School, but unfortunately it's all in Thai. However, I think I've walked by this school - is it the one downtown with exercise equipment on the sidewalk and across from the shop selling school uniforms and supplies ? My wife or I will have to check this one out personally.

Sure I can. Our son have been in them both. Marie Anusorn is located just ouside town, on the way to Satuk, and North Eastern is located on the new ring-road around town.
Our son went to Marie for the first 6 years, then we moved him to Norh-Eastern when that opened last year.
It is my wiew that Marie is better for the first years of school, nursery and up to 5 or 6th grade, then North-Eastern the rest of the way. There is typical 30-40 students in each class in both schools.

Tilapia.

#7 barryofthailand

barryofthailand

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 2007-07-19 09:38:14

Is the school named North Eastern any relation to the school they are constructing in Surin with the same name?
Barry

#8 Tilapia

Tilapia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 2007-07-19 11:25:44

Is the school named North Eastern any relation to the school they are constructing in Surin with the same name?
Barry

I think so, it is like a chain, they are building a university in Buri-ram as well.

Tilapia.

#9 expatman

expatman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 2007-07-19 15:09:32

Tilapia

Sure I can. Our son have been in them both. Marie Anusorn is located just ouside town, on the way to Satuk, and North Eastern is located on the new ring-road around town.
Our son went to Marie for the first 6 years, then we moved him to Norh-Eastern when that opened last year.
It is my wiew that Marie is better for the first years of school, nursery and up to 5 or 6th grade, then North-Eastern the rest of the way. There is typical 30-40 students in each class in both schools.

Tilapia.

Looks like I'll check out Marie Anusorn.
How much are the fess ? Any entrance fee (tea money) ?
Are there any classes given in English ?

#10 Tilapia

Tilapia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 2007-07-19 16:36:49

Tilapia

Tilapia.

There is a first time fee, I think it is 10.000baht + the normal rate (I can check it out for you) and there is English classes, the school is Catholic by the way.

Tilapia.

#11 expatman

expatman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 2007-07-20 12:51:41

[/quote]

There is a first time fee, I think it is 10.000baht + the normal rate (I can check it out for you) and there is English classes, the school is Catholic by the way.

Tilapia.
[/quote]

thanks for the info, please sheck what the regular fees are.
I thought it might be a Catholic school, does that mean they also give religious instruction ? (Don't really want that)

- Gary

#12 Tilapia

Tilapia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 2007-07-20 13:00:36

No fanatic teaching, they do have a church there, and the head-teacher is a sister, but I havent had any problems in that regard.
I will check the fee and get back to you. How old is the kid ??

Tilapia.

#13 expatman

expatman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 2007-07-20 13:42:47

No fanatic teaching, they do have a church there, and the head-teacher is a sister, but I havent had any problems in that regard.
I will check the fee and get back to you. How old is the kid ??

Tilapia.

Jacky will be 6 years old in December. He has been attending an English-speaking nursery/kindergarten in Bangkok since January 2006.

#14 barryofthailand

barryofthailand

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 2007-07-31 22:39:31

At this point it doesn't look like their are any decent schools that you can consider bilingual in Buriram or Surin. I will probably end up enrolling our son in a private Thai school in surin and teach his basic English Math Social studies and science in english at home. I can purchase the books from Best in pattaya.
Barry

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: