107 replies to this topic

#51 smokie36

smokie36

Relaxed Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,095 posts

Posted 2011-05-02 13:23:09

I had the American Breakfast and Coffee (can have tea or coffee) today at KL House - see photo.
For 100 baht I have to say it is great value.
I would never rate it for out and out quality but if you fancy a 'light' breakfast, good coffee and value for money this could be for you.

KL House is on the left hand side as you go out of Ao Nang, just before Dr Somboon's clinic.

Looking at the photo it strikes me that I'd eat the toast and enjoy the coffee. Maybe. If it came included in the room price.

Mind you I've seen worse in Bangkok hotels. "Out and out quality" doesn't cover it......"fit for a starving man" might be more appropriate.

#52 klongmuang

klongmuang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 2011-05-06 07:59:06

Justy realized that nobody mentioned the ao nang deli yet, the by far best western restaurant in the ao nang area, huge portions for very very fair prices AND top quality.
but than again, for those who dont know where it is, i am not going to tell you, there are only 2 tables and if everbody goes there, there's no seat left for me:)
Mahlzeit.

They are going to open a new restaurant in Ao Nang Soi 11 by the end of October with sufficient space. No reason to keep the secret any longer.

#53 grumpyoldman

grumpyoldman

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 2011-07-30 11:21:42

For inexpensive eating in Ao Nang, check out the food cart/stall type "restaurants" on the sidewalk in front of the MacDonald's-Starbucks plaza.

I had a pad-pak gung (vegetables with shrimp), a nice sized serving at 60thb. The next night I went to a different stall, had a red curry that was so smoking spicy that when I left my hair was wet ! Again, 60thb.

Ao Nang has a few good restaurants but I just find them way overpriced. The Mexican place in the walking arcade offers a two option combination plate for 400thb. Ouch. Even Bernies buffet at 250, after a drink and a tip you can't get away under 350thb, so any of you budget travellers or permanent expats like myself watching your satangs, check out these carts for some pretty decent food at good prices.

#54 bikkalad

bikkalad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 2011-07-30 13:37:23

I normally have a bite to eat next to matey boy with the pick up full off drinks and his small stand on the side of the road,there is a small kitchen set-up next to him,great food cooked by the old lady plenty of smiles and of course very easy on the pocket.....AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!! gonna be there very soon...............cant wait..........hopefully no tumble weeds blowing down the street;)

#55 Rykbanlor

Rykbanlor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 2011-09-08 15:07:13

For me, by far the best and most competitively priced farang food in Aonang is at a place called the sandwich market. It used to be a small corner place with a big football screen opposite Mcdonald in the "sea of love plaza" but they have relocated and re-opened.

If you go past mcdonalds away from the beach and continue up the hill, past the unfinished mosque it's in a small un-tarred soi on the right hand side. there is a sign for it ( orange ) below a large light blue sign for their sister project "GLUR HOSTEL".
It's about 200m down the soi on the right.

My favourites there: Philly cheese steak........grilled beef, grilled onion and blue cheese mayo on ciabatta, sour cream beef burger.

Theres a lot more to choose from on the menu and the price of a sandwich rages from about 105 - 130 baht.
The couple who own it are Thai, but they spent 7 or 8 years in the states so they know how to make a sandwich. It's easily the best western food I've had in Thailand and I would seriously pay more for it.

I've paid more money in other places for something absolutely sub-standard ( often happens in thailand .....toona baket sir? ) so when i found this place I was really impressed.

They also have an awesome view of The Aonang cliffs.

#56 galilee

galilee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 2011-09-08 19:27:58

For me, by far the best and most competitively priced farang food in Aonang is at a place called the sandwich market. It used to be a small corner place with a big football screen opposite Mcdonald in the "sea of love plaza" but they have relocated and re-opened.

If you go past mcdonalds away from the beach and continue up the hill, past the unfinished mosque it's in a small un-tarred soi on the right hand side. there is a sign for it ( orange ) below a large light blue sign for their sister project "GLUR HOSTEL".

My favourites there: Philly cheese steak........grilled beef, grilled onion and blue cheese mayo on ciabatta, sour cream beef burger.

Theres a lot more to choose from on the menu and the price of a sandwich rages from about 105 - 130 baht.
The couple who own it are Thai, but they spent 7 or 8 years in the states so they know how to make a sandwich. It's easily the best western food I've had in Thailand and I would seriously pay more for it.

I've paid more money in other places for something absolutely sub-standard ( often happens in thailand .....toona baket sir? ) so when i found this place I was really impressed.

Good to know i ll have a look this week end so ;)
Thanks for the recommendation!

Edited by galilee, 2011-09-08 19:29:10.

#57 bikkalad

bikkalad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 2011-09-09 06:57:57

The Irish Rover.......Bangers and Mash.........oooh yeah!!!! best pork snags ive had plus a rich onion gravy...now were talking......the Sunday roast is nice as well...................you need something to bind you up after days of spicy/chilli food for sure;)

#58 bikkalad

bikkalad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 2011-09-09 06:59:37

forgot to mention the Tattoo Cafe 20mtrs from Burger King the best English breakfast in Aonang

#59 Merequeisziah

Merequeisziah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 2011-09-29 17:07:51

If you are in the mood for seafood, I would recommend Aree Ba ba. I'm not that sure of the street but the landmark to look for is the McDonald's or Starbucks at Aonang. Cross the road and it is on the walk towards the left ( taking the Mcdonalds as a reference. It's really good and fresh.
My friends and I ( a company of 4) had

>2 coke
>1 red bull
> 2 large Chang beer
>1 coconut
> 1 mango shake
>5 oysters
>green curry with chicken
>spicy seafood with prawns
>Mussels baked with cheese
> fried chicken with basil leave
> steamed fish
> 3 sticky rice
>1 steamed rice

Altogether, it only cost 1600tbh which was quite cheap seeing the quality of the food itself.

#60 grumpyoldman

grumpyoldman

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 2011-09-30 09:02:37

This fricken place.

I went in and wasn't too hungry so ordered a Pad Kapao Gai, which is basically a small plate of ground chicken and rice, spicy. Generally runs 40thb or so, o.k. expensive Ao Nang so I was ready to pay double.

They show up with a plate of sliced chicken and vegetables and say, sorry we don't have Pad Kapao (couldn't have told me when I ordered?). My mistake was just saying o.k. no worries without asking how much this is. I get my bill and they hit me with 220thb................................again, my mistake for not asking before consuming.

#61 grumpyoldman

grumpyoldman

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 2011-10-20 15:14:09

Thank you Rykbanlor.

Good directions, was there today, had a honey mustard chicken sandwich on brown bread that was the BOMB. Quite excellent.

Served by a lovely Thai lady, pretty and polite, will be back there for sure.

#62 costalot

costalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 2011-12-07 19:08:05

The Irish Rover.......Bangers and Mash.........oooh yeah!!!! best pork snags ive had plus a rich onion gravy...now were talking......the Sunday roast is nice as well...................you need something to bind you up after days of spicy/chilli food for sure;)

I guess it's great if you are a smoker..........smoking allowed in the airconditioned restaurant/bar area!!!!!!! auful and illegal.
Will never go there again.

#63 grumpyoldman

grumpyoldman

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 2012-01-29 11:25:03

I guess it's great if you are a smoker..........smoking allowed in the airconditioned restaurant/bar area!!!!!!! auful and illegal.

I'm not a fan of smokers either, but then again I'm really against over-regulating things. I'm an American, and when you can't even swat your kid for misbehaving under the auspices of CPS taking them away, regulations have gotten way out of hand.

If The Rover's owner allows smoking, so be it. Just put a sign outside that says so, so that those of us who do not want to partake in tobacco can choose to enter or not.

Back on topic: can someone please name for me the cafe style place in Krabi town, sort of across from the Hollywood hotel but up the street a little, when you walk in they have the pictures of all their dishes on the walls with pricings. Great food there and CHEAP ! Just can't ever remember the name, need to change the nic to Grumpyoldalzheimers........

#64 powerof1

powerof1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 2012-02-02 06:28:37

Hi Grumps. I'll be in Krabi Town the next few days so I'll check it out and get back to you with the name of the place.

#65 bunta71

bunta71

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 2012-04-22 17:03:09

I'm not a fan of smokers either, but then again I'm really against over-regulating things. I'm an American, and when you can't even swat your kid for misbehaving under the auspices of CPS taking them away, regulations have gotten way out of hand.

If The Rover's owner allows smoking, so be it. Just put a sign outside that says so, so that those of us who do not want to partake in tobacco can choose to enter or not.

Back on topic: can someone please name for me the cafe style place in Krabi town, sort of across from the Hollywood hotel but up the street a little, when you walk in they have the pictures of all their dishes on the walls with pricings. Great food there and CHEAP ! Just can't ever remember the name, need to change the nic to Grumpyoldalzheimers........

Cafe 31 maybe? Incredible and edible portions. A few doors downhill from Kyo Ngean in Krabi. Quality and giant portions.

#66 grumpyoldman

grumpyoldman

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 2012-04-28 11:01:25

I do believe you are right bunta, Cafe 31. Thank you.

Excellent food and inexpensive.

Funny story, I had a really spicy pork chop and chips in there one time, made my nose run. Paid the bill and the girl was looking at me sort of funny, got back to the car, looked in the mirror and I had the BIGGEST booger ever, hanging out of my nose. Embarrassing for sure.......

#67 12DrinkMore

12DrinkMore

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 2012-04-29 10:46:03

Funny story, I had a really spicy pork chop and chips in there one time, made my nose run. Paid the bill and the girl was looking at me sort of funny, got back to the car, looked in the mirror and I had the BIGGEST booger ever, hanging out of my nose. Embarrassing for sure.......

Grumpy old men never get embarrassed.

#68 grumpyoldman

grumpyoldman

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 2012-05-01 11:26:58

Grumpy old men never get embarrassed.

Well, believe it or not (up to you !) in front of cute little things, we do.

#69 lyanika

lyanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 2012-05-21 16:49:32

I just ate my best and biggest burger in Thailand ever - luckily here in Ao Nang!
2 x 150 gr. ground beef inside, it made my day! :-)
Oh, the place is a new red building at the junction to Ao Namao, the name is Reddevils or something like this.

Attached Files

#70 grumpyoldman

grumpyoldman

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 2012-05-26 11:06:17

I just ate my best and biggest burger in Thailand ever - luckily here in Ao Nang!
Oh, the place is a new red building at the junction to Ao Namao, the name is Reddevils or something like this.

Yes, if I am not mistaken, I believe this is Chef Umberto from Sala Bua/Lo Spuntino's outfit.

Bound to have good food, for sure, looks like an epic burger. That sounds like a good name for an over the top burger "The Epic Burger".

#71 powerof1

powerof1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 2012-05-27 08:42:26

Yes, if I am not mistaken, I believe this is Chef Umberto from Sala Bua/Lo Spuntino's outfit.

Bound to have good food, for sure, looks like an epic burger. That sounds like a good name for an over the top burger "The Epic Burger".

Sounds good. What sort of price out of interest? How about quality and value of the rest of the menu?

#72 lyanika

lyanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 2012-05-28 11:21:42

Sounds good. What sort of price out of interest? How about quality and value of the rest of the menu?

As I remember, the spicy burger (1 beef, bacon, cheese inside) was 220 and the double was bit more than 300. All came with french fries and was more than enough. You can not compare these burgers with Burger king's cheap plastic burger. :-)
I saw on the menu different steaks (T-bone, striploin, sirloin, pork chop, chicken and sausages), I will give a try for a steak on this weekend. They have pastas, pizzas and some appetizers as well.

#73 taninthai

taninthai

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 2012-05-28 15:12:26

As I remember, the spicy burger (1 beef, bacon, cheese inside) was 220 and the double was bit more than 300. All came with french fries and was more than enough. You can not compare these burgers with Burger king's cheap plastic burger. :-)
I saw on the menu different steaks (T-bone, striploin, sirloin, pork chop, chicken and sausages), I will give a try for a steak on this weekend. They have pastas, pizzas and some appetizers as well.

Not cheap then at over 300 bht = over 6 sounds like a rip off tourist prices to me

I can recommend relax coffee shop in krabi town just up the road from the old pier next to up to you bar full English 3bacon,beans,2 eggs,tomatoes,fried potatoes,sausage,2 slice wholemeal toast and latte misses had thai dish and orange juice total 274 bht I think he has 1 off the best menus I have seen in krabi town

#74 DarrenB3

DarrenB3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 2012-06-12 22:40:23

Do yourself a favor and try the Frog and Catfish Restaurant at Din Daeng Noi (near Nong Thale). It's about 12-15 minutes out of Ao Nang, but it is so worth the trip! The food is superb and is well priced, they do both Western and authentic Thai foods, and the staff are so friendly. The place is amazing - beautifully landscaped gardens with water features and they have a swimming pool that diners are free to use. They also have full bar facilities and a pool table. I have stayed there as well and the rooms are awesome, well priced and they include a full English breakfast, which is the best that I have had anywhere. I cannot recommend this place highly enough, it is by far my favourite restaurant in Krabi.

#75 Mousehound

Mousehound

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 2012-07-22 17:33:16

Some of these reviews remind me of Benidorm - English breakfast six meals a day - yum.

Sponsored by:

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: