Sending Packages To Thailand

7 replies to this topic

#1 Blake7

Blake7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 2004-07-16 20:10:54

What is the deal with sending packages to Thailand? I heard that customs will charge 30% tax of the value of the goods (as they calculate it!). If I wanted to ship company brochures here which is the best way to do it so as to avoid this? Also is there any charge for shipping in personal effects (clothes, books etc)

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 LivinLOS

LivinLOS

Shaved Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,238 posts

Posted 2004-07-17 02:47:48

Standard import duty is IIRC 27 %..

For CD's and DVD's its 37% (ohh of course they are trying to stamp out piracy in SEA.. Its so easy to buy legit DVD's here)..

And they add the cost of shipping on before the %...

But if its misslabeled and especially coming through regular v courier post.. it usually skims though.. I have managed all kinds of stuff from ebay bits to mountain bikes to the DVD's mentioned simply by creative labelling.. EG DVD's are now optical media etc..

Just send it as biz documents 0 value..

#3 theviking

theviking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 2004-07-17 18:30:15

Just send you're packages as gift, from a private person, to a private person...then it will be no tax whatever.

#4 Davidcharles

Davidcharles

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 2004-07-19 03:52:01

Just send you're packages as gift, from a private person, to a private person...then it will be no tax whatever.

Very good advice.......Thanks Pal

#5 Blake7

Blake7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 2004-07-19 13:32:28

Ok great many thanks. So if I label goods as business documents at 0 value there will be no charge? I understood that even if they are "valueless" brochures the customs guys make up some mysterious value for them?

#6 Blake7

Blake7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 2004-07-19 20:50:34

I have just been told that if I send a package of no more than 12 inches square I will not be charged. Any truth to this rumour?

#7 ka12345

ka12345

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 2004-07-19 21:08:17

That is completely random. Sometimes they get through with no tax, sometimes they charge. In one case the fedex guy even came back a few days later to collect tax...

#8 KronbergTH

KronbergTH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 2004-07-19 23:50:30

Hi,

If you have a work permit, you can "import" personal effects.

Otherwise, a Thai (e.g. female) can receive it on behalf of you. Every Thai can "import" personal effects one time, as I understand.

Regards, Robert

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: