Schools In Koh Samui

80 replies to this topic

#51 maakeenaan

maakeenaan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 2008-07-21 20:05:28

Hi ClaudeFeller, I would suggest you try the school websites as I believe it is against the forum's rules to post such information as school fees on here. Not sure of the website addresses for each but I assume they can be Googled. To answer your Thai language question, all schools here need to teach a minimum number of hours of Thai by law in order to satisfy the school license regulations. I assume all schools here have this but be aware there a different kinds depending on the level of education offered eg. primary, kindergarten or secondary. As far as international licenses go, it's harder. This is plenty of info on what a qualifying school must have in order to satisfy the requirements. If you follow this link http://www.moe.go.th/inter_school/index_eng.htm you should find information from the Ministry of Education regarding this issue. From my experience I believe only the new campus of Open Gates School as emblazoned on their bill boards and, if you ask to see the plans in their offices, has the capacity and potential to get this license. I am aware Blue Water School is opening a new building but have yet to see the plans and I am unsure of their availability. Either way I am encouraged to see the prospect of a long overdue international school here to equal that in Phuket. I am not usually a betting man but would put money on the Open Gates school to come home first, after all it seems blatantly obvious this is now a race between the two and their bill board style advertising reflects that of two heavyweight boxers jostling for the crown. I just hope the childrens' education doesn't suffer as a result. As with all forums, you should take what is posted here with a large pinch of salt as posters can quite easily be anyone, everyone and no-one all at the same time. I hope you get your information and would recommend that you contact the schools themselves as opposed to taking some of the clearly tainted and biased opinions on here into account. Good Luck.

Edited by maakeenaan, 2008-07-21 20:08:02.

#52 OpenGates

OpenGates

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 2008-07-28 14:45:08

For your information I am an Opengates parent and have some real major concerns.
First why are the IGCSE results and league tables not published? They are talked about a lot but never published. Publish them on the Opengates website for some real credibility! :D
Second I recently went to the new school site, what's going on, not one stone has been laid? It is obvious the new school will not be ready by January yet you are still telling us and writing all over the papers that it will be? You will soon not be able to continue competing with the other expanding schools on the island.
:o Myself and many other Opengates parents are truely concerned about your future and still unsure how to proceed for September. We all know the best time to move our children is the beginning of a school year. :D
Please reassure and inform us. A concerned parent! :D

Hello again,

The scores for the Checkpoint Exams are on our website. The results for the recent IGCSEs will be received at the end of August and will then also be posted.

Here is a direct link to the scores:

/www.opengates-samui.com/news/checkpointnumbers.html

Regards,

Dr. Claus Meyer

#53 ClaudeFeller

ClaudeFeller

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 2008-07-29 05:28:38

Hi ClaudeFeller, I would suggest you try the school websites as I believe it is against the forum's rules to post such information as school fees on here. ....

What?
Can somebody of the concerned parents please tell me:

- Blue Water fees are ..... THB per year
- Open Gates fees are ..... THB per year

Should not be against any law in the world.

#54 MSingh

MSingh

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 2008-07-29 07:53:57

Hi ClaudeFeller, I would suggest you try the school websites as I believe it is against the forum's rules to post such information as school fees on here. ....

What?

It depends on the ages of the Children..

#55 Boo

Boo

Sacred Female Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 2008-07-29 13:38:42

Bluewaters fees are listed on their website.

Open gates are not. I don't like that personally.

#56 mssabai

mssabai

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 2008-07-29 16:41:12

Recently a friend visited Open Gates and Bluewater. She agreed that Blue Water had better facilities and seemed like the smart choice on the surface, but they actually felt much more at home at Open Gates. I think it is vital that you and your child visit all the schools and that you really listen to your (and most importantly your child's) instincts about where 'feels' right. What is good for one child may be detrimental for another. Relish in the fact that you can choose schools like this rather than being forced to send your child to the school who's catchment area you fall into!

#57 ClaudeFeller

ClaudeFeller

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 2008-07-30 06:03:48

What?

It depends on the ages of the Children..

Wise answer!!
Example, classe 3-6, fees per term:
- Bluewater some 90.000 THB
- Open Gates some ??.??? THB

Why I want to know this?
Poor guys like me need to know the fees before they walk in - OK?

#58 hangusthemonkey

hangusthemonkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 2008-11-27 07:46:53

I have just been informed that the School football league on Ko Samui has one notable absence as it is not allowed to join because it is not classed? registered? as a School. Can anyone shed any light on this ? Perhaps then all you need to do is ask which one is missing to end this debate once and for all and to cut through all the smoke screens.
Also has anyone seen the new Open gates building yet ? The one that was promised and featured on big posters all around the island !

#59 maccaroni man

maccaroni man

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 2008-11-27 08:02:55

I have just been informed that the School football league on Ko Samui has one notable absence as it is not allowed to join because it is not classed? registered? as a School. Can anyone shed any light on this ? Perhaps then all you need to do is ask which one is missing to end this debate once and for all and to cut through all the smoke screens.
Also has anyone seen the new Open gates building yet ? The one that was promised and featured on big posters all around the island !

My understanding is that blue water played a couple of the schools i.e. panyadee and opengates but the fall out from parents moving their children to blue water after has made them unwelcome for return matches :o

I was shown a vacant plot with a few bare spots a couple of weeks ago and told that is the open gates new home.

One school that manages to stay under the radar is the samui centre of learning, their new building already has the second floor completed and should be ready to move in by april. this is a very good school with the lowest tuition, real teachers and british curriculum i.e. 2 children 65k per term and they are not affraid to play footbal against blue water. :D

#60 MSingh

MSingh

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 2008-11-27 10:07:49

One school that manages to stay under the radar is the samui centre of learning, their new building already has the second floor completed and should be ready to move in by april. this is a very good school with the lowest tuition, real teachers and british curriculum i.e. 2 children 65k per term and they are not affraid to play footbal against blue water. :D

What, as opposed to fake one's at the other School's ?? :o

#61 maccaroni man

maccaroni man

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 2008-11-27 11:38:04

many fakes at many schools :D

#62 MSingh

MSingh

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 2008-11-27 13:02:32

many fakes at many schools :D

Serious allegation there Mr Maccaroni...:D

#63 Gforbes

Gforbes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 2009-12-22 11:15:29

I have read with interest the comments concerning the choice of education facilities on Samui. I am planning to move to Samui early in 2010 and I am seeking an education for my 11 year old daughter. I can choose Samui or a boarding school, so I have a broader choice than some. My daughter has been educated wholly within the 'International School' school system, with emphasis on IB, in China. I have not found anyone offering IB in Samui, which I find a little disappointing. IB gives a far greater 'international' qualification and one that is accepted worldwide and within the 'international school' community. The IGCSE base seems very narrow if I were to move to another country where there is less UK influence (like China). I note that most of the comments were made some time ago and I would like to hear how Open Gates new campus is proceeding, if Bluewaters has obtained their accreditation and any general, but non-partisan please, comments on these two schools and any others that may have opened.

#64 koheesti

koheesti

Titanium Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 2009-12-22 14:43:32

I note that most of the comments were made some time ago and I would like to hear how Open Gates new campus is proceeding, if Bluewaters has obtained their accreditation and any general, but non-partisan please, comments on these two schools and any others that may have opened.

Didn't Open Gates close earlier this year?

#65 carlitos_way

carlitos_way

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 2009-12-22 16:51:27

I have read with interest the comments concerning the choice of education facilities on Samui. I am planning to move to Samui early in 2010 and I am seeking an education for my 11 year old daughter. I can choose Samui or a boarding school, so I have a broader choice than some. My daughter has been educated wholly within the 'International School' school system, with emphasis on IB, in China. I have not found anyone offering IB in Samui, which I find a little disappointing. IB gives a far greater 'international' qualification and one that is accepted worldwide and within the 'international school' community. The IGCSE base seems very narrow if I were to move to another country where there is less UK influence (like China). I note that most of the comments were made some time ago and I would like to hear how Open Gates new campus is proceeding, if Bluewaters has obtained their accreditation and any general, but non-partisan please, comments on these two schools and any others that may have opened.

Bluewater, hands down best School on the Island.

If they have obtaioned this or that, i don't know, but it's the best School on the Island, certainly for an 11 Year Old too.

#66 maccaroni man

maccaroni man

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 2009-12-22 17:43:01

i agree that the IB is a far superior program than the cambridge. If you have the option of boarding and do not mind being away from your daughter then you will be doing her a great service by enrolling her in an accredited, fully certified school. To date no schools in samui have recieved the international accredidation however the small school in lamia will most likley be the first to accomplish this unfortunalty they can only handle children to age 12. Blue water imo is still a work in progress even if the fees do not reflect this fact. i recently had a parent who also had a daughter the same age as yours looking at a project here but he took a pass as he felt his daughet would not be happy with the lack of extra activities i.e. horse back riding, school band etc... all the things that the bigger schools offer.

#67 Comehome

Comehome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 2009-12-22 22:07:35

What about Panyadee school?
Have only seen the signs by the main road, other than that i don't know anything about them.

Does anyone know anything about them?

/comehome

#68 MSingh

MSingh

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 2009-12-22 23:03:11

What about Panyadee school?
Have only seen the signs by the main road, other than that i don't know anything about them.

Does anyone know anything about them?

/comehome

Yeah, their costings are on a Par ( maybe a little less but not a lot ) with Bluewater yet the School, it's facilities & everything else to do with it are nowhere near as good as Bluewater.

#69 brzy

brzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 2009-12-23 10:26:56

oon-rak Nathon (kindergarten) and now oon-rak primary school, Maenam, i have 2 children attending ( 1 at each). 60-40 English teaching and runs the Thai semesters (2 per year).

#70 limbos

limbos

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 2009-12-23 19:06:26

brzy,

What are the prizes per semester at oon-rak Nathon and Maenam?

#71 maccaroni man

maccaroni man

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 2009-12-23 19:10:46

brzy,

we have a family friend who has put 2 children in oon rak maenam, she is very happy and it is the lowest cost on the island for this type of school. about half the price of lamai which is half the price of BW

#72 MSingh

MSingh

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 2009-12-24 01:47:26

brzy,

we have a family friend who has put 2 children in oon rak maenam, she is very happy and it is the lowest cost on the island for this type of school. about half the price of lamai which is half the price of BW

What is she very happy with then, the fact that she pays 75% less fee's than she would at BW or she pays 50% less than she would in Lamai ??

Or of course it could be of course that she's just very happy with the School ?? :)

#73 maccaroni man

maccaroni man

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 2009-12-24 09:06:09

brzy,

What is she very happy with then, the fact that she pays 75% less fee's than she would at BW or she pays 50% less than she would in Lamai ??

Or of course it could be of course that she's just very happy with the School ?? :)

of course she is happy with the fees, but she is very happy with the staff, the location and the education that her children are being given btw she was also very happy in lamai but distance and time away from home were a factor in moving her children.

#74 DeannaHiorns

DeannaHiorns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 2010-04-23 13:38:16

I'm Just wondering if any of you guys could help me.. one i just signed upto this site like 10minutes ago to try and find some answers so please be paitient with me if i've done this all wrong

Soo anyway the real reason is..
Im a 17year old girl living with my father in Koh Samui, i have 10 GCSE's all B grade and above.. but i really would like to do my A-Levels so i can go onto university, but i cant seem to find a school (international) that provides education for any children after the age of 16. Schools such as blue water and open gate only seem to go upto GCSE's and after that where do these children go? please please please help me.. :)

i'd really appreciate it.
Deanna

#75 Rooo

Rooo

Star Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,527 posts

Posted 2010-04-23 17:42:42

I'm Just wondering if any of you guys could help me.. one i just signed upto this site like 10minutes ago to try and find some answers so please be paitient with me if i've done this all wrong

Soo anyway the real reason is..
Im a 17year old girl living with my father in Koh Samui, i have 10 GCSE's all B grade and above.. but i really would like to do my A-Levels so i can go onto university, but i cant seem to find a school (international) that provides education for any children after the age of 16. Schools such as blue water and open gate only seem to go upto GCSE's and after that where do these children go? please please please help me.. :)

i'd really appreciate it.
Deanna

Firstly let me say, welcome to Thaivisa.
Regarding your question,I doubt if you will find anything on Samui, but then I could be wrong. I suggest, you direct your question on HERE & see what response & advise you might get. I am sure you aren't the only one in that predicament.
Good luck.

Sponsored By:

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: