16 replies to this topic

#1 tatt

tatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 10:13:12

I have a dual citizenship, UK and Thai. My current Thai passport has no UK Indefinite Leave to Remain/visa sticker (UK resident status) in it but it is in the expired one. Therefore, I need also to carry the 'expired' Thai passport (which I've clipped on to the current Thai passport) along, in order to enter/leave Thailand so they can see I have a right to enter UK. The problem is.....

They (British passport people) will soon cancel my UK Indefinite leave to remain sticker because it is no longer valid (since I am no longer a UK resident but a British citizen). That means I will not have any valid visa to UK in my current Thai passport.

Does that mean I have to use Brit passport to enter Thailand forever? And only be able to stay there for 30 days!

This is so complicated.... :o

#2 PennyFarthing123

PennyFarthing123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 10:25:46

Tatt, I'm no expert and also not a UK citizen, but I think all it means is you arrive and leave Thailand on your Thai passport and arrive and leave the UK on your UK passport. No longer a need for a visa to either country.

#3 Lite Beer

Lite Beer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,336 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 10:28:59

Neither am I but going by previous reports that is all there is to it.
Change passports in the air.

#4 Mario2008

Mario2008

Superb Member

• Global Moderators
  • 25,223 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 10:30:04

Correct. Enter and leave Thailand on the Thai passport and enter and leave the UK on the British. At check-in at the airport present both passports, so the airline staff understands you don't need a visa.
No problem, as both airlines and immigration deal with dual nationality on a daily base.

#5 tatt

tatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 10:38:19

yes, I understand that I will have to use Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. But if my UK resident permit sticker in my 'Thai' passport is void (because now I have a british passport), then how would I get pass the airways check-in counter or Thai immigration, if I wanna go back to UK, without any valid UK visa/permit in my Thai passport? You know what i mean? unless i show them my British passport, which would be dodgy since I didn't use it to enter the country so there was no immigration stamp on it.

i might have posted in the wrong forum lol..sods.

#6 Mario2008

Mario2008

Superb Member

• Global Moderators
  • 25,223 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 10:58:50

As aid, at check in you show both passports and they will see that you have dual nationality and don't need a visa.

Edited by Mario2008, 2008-11-13 10:59:12.

#7 Old Man River

Old Man River

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 11:13:16

yes, I understand that I will have to use Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. But if my UK resident permit sticker in my 'Thai' passport is void (because now I have a british passport), then how would I get pass the airways check-in counter or Thai immigration, if I wanna go back to UK, without any valid UK visa/permit in my Thai passport? You know what i mean? unless i show them my British passport, which would be dodgy since I didn't use it to enter the country so there was no immigration stamp on it.

You are making this more difficult than it needs to be. Mario2008 is spot on. My wife is a dual (Thai/American) and she does not have a US visa in her Thai passport, nor a Thai visa in her US passport. Her passports from each country is her visa for that country, just as your passport from the UK is your visa into the UK. As a dual national, carry both passports and show them at the airline counters. There are thousands of people that are Thai/UK duals and the immigrations officials for each country have seen them all.

#8 tatt

tatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 11:15:14

As aid, at check in you show both passports and they will see that you have dual nationality and don't need a visa.

Thanks for all the answers though. Really appreciate it.

Ok so I show two passports at the check-in. What about at the immigration? I cant' show my british one as well since Thailand doesn't allow dual citizenship (i'm quite certain about this). Also, I believe I have to use the same passport which I had entered the country (i.e. Thai) right? But my Thai passport will have no valid uk permit...I doubt they'd let me through...

#9 Lite Beer

Lite Beer

• Admin
  • 43,336 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 11:22:57

Thailand doesn't disallow dual nationality.

#10 tatt

tatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 11:34:45

You are making this more difficult than it needs to be. Mario2008 is spot on. My wife is a dual (Thai/American) and she does not have a US visa in her Thai passport, nor a Thai visa in her US passport. Her passports from each country is her visa for that country, just as your passport from the UK is your visa into the UK. As a dual national, carry both passports and show them at the airline counters. There are thousands of people that are Thai/UK duals and the immigrations officials for each country have seen them all.

Thank you all for being patient with me lol

So..for example, if your wife wanna leave Thailand to the U.S., she'd use her Thai passport without a U.S. visa in it right? So that means she has to show BOTH passports (U.S. and Thai) to the Thai immigration, am i correct? Wouldn't the Thai immigration say anything since Thailand doesn't allow a Thai to have dual nationality?

Sorry, I'm just afraid that if i show my brit passport to them they will make me choose only one nationality.

#11 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • 22,358 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 12:03:15

Thai immigration does not ask to see proof of your right to enter the country of destination. That is the airline’s job.

1. Airline check-in in UK: show UK and Thai passports.
2. Immigration counter on departure from UK: show UK passport.
3. Immigration counter on arrival in Thailand: show Thai passport.
4. Airline check-in in Thailand: show Thai and UK passports.
5. Immigration counter on departure from Thailand: show Thai passport.
6. Immigration counter on arrival in UK: show UK passport.

The important thing regarding immigration is to always use the same passport for entering and leaving a particular country.
--
Maestro

#12 tatt

tatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 2008-11-13 12:18:25

Thai immigration does not ask to see proof of your right to enter the country of destination. That is the airline's job.

1. Airline check-in in UK: show UK and Thai passports.
2. Immigration counter on departure from UK: show UK passport.
3. Immigration counter on arrival in Thailand: show Thai passport.
4. Airline check-in in Thailand: show Thai and UK passports.
5. Immigration counter on departure from Thailand: show Thai passport.
6. Immigration counter on arrival in UK: show UK passport.

The important thing regarding immigration is to always use the same passport for entering and leaving a particular country.
--
Maestro

Thanks very much maestro!

#13 freddy

freddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 2008-11-16 17:16:16

I often read about dual citizens worrying about the supposed Thai law which requires Thai citizens to "CHOOSE" between their various countries when they reach the age of 18. It would appear that the Thai Foreign Ministry does not uphold this law to the letter probably because they realise that if they were to force dual citizens to choose then Thailand would probably come out on the losing side 90% of the time!!!!!

#14 Old Man River

Old Man River

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 2008-11-16 19:35:45

Thanks for all the answers though. Really appreciate it.

Ok so I show two passports at the check-in. What about at the immigration? I cant' show my british one as well since Thailand doesn't allow dual citizenship (i'm quite certain about this). Also, I believe I have to use the same passport which I had entered the country (i.e. Thai) right? But my Thai passport will have no valid uk permit...I doubt they'd let me through...

Tatt, nothing that you have said is any different from any other Thai/dual. Thai Immigration will let you through. I have never heard of a Thai Immigration officer questioning a Thai leaving Thailand on their Thai passport, but if they do, then just show them your UK passport. There are thousands of Thai/duals living in Thailand that go through Thai Immigration (coming and going) all the time (my wife and child included). Don't worry about it. You are not doing anything illegal. Thai law does not prohibit duals.

The only time the dual national issue ever comes up is when they are discussing the south and expected terrorists going freely across the border. However, Tatt, if you start making an issue about it at Thai Immigration, I am sure someone will think you are doing something else that is illegal, so take it easy. You are one of many and doing nothing wrong.

#15 tatt

tatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 2008-11-17 01:55:08

Thank you very much for all the replies. Much appreciated!

#16 GuyDow

GuyDow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 2008-11-17 09:47:12

They (British passport people) will soon cancel my UK Indefinite leave to remain sticker because it is no longer valid (since I am no longer a UK resident but a British citizen). That means I will not have any valid visa to UK in my current Thai passport.

What makes you think they are going to cancel your ILR sticker?

My wife has two passports but she doesn't like to travel on her UK passport. I fully accept that using two passports is quite possible, she just doesn't like to do it.

Therefore she enters the UK with her new Thai passport and her old expired Thai passport with the ILR sticker. Nobody has ever suggested the ILR sticker will be cancelled.

I know the UK Passport Agency would not transfer her ILR sticker to her new Thai passport because she holds a UK passport. But this is an entirely different issue.

#17 Maizefarmer

Maizefarmer

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 2008-11-17 16:01:29

I have a dual citizenship, UK and Thai. My current Thai passport has no UK Indefinite Leave to Remain/visa sticker (UK resident status) in it but it is in the expired one. Therefore, I need also to carry the 'expired' Thai passport (which I've clipped on to the current Thai passport) along, in order to enter/leave Thailand so they can see I have a right to enter UK. The problem is.....

Does that mean I have to use Brit passport to enter Thailand forever? And only be able to stay there for 30 days!

This is so complicated.... :o

.......mmmmmmmmmmmm. Odd done this.

You have dual UK/Thai citizenship - but do not have a UK passport, just and indefineate leave to remain sticker, which is in an expired Thai Passport - which means that the sticker is around 5 years old (plus a bit - because Thai passports are valid for 5years ) - Yes, youre right - it is complicated!

Is your tie to the UK thorugh one of the "overseas territory" type rules?

If you have dual UK/Thai citizenship then your inefineate leave to remain sticker is a mute point - and you do not require any kind of visa to visit the UK.

I am a little perplexed how this situation has come about. Stemming from a "Indefineate Leave" sticker (however that came about) means you have had a good few years to obtain your British Passport (if entitled to one) - which can be done through any UK embassy overseas.

Either way, all the above aside, if you are a UK citizen then you are entitled to an Emergency Passport - basically a piece of security printed paper with your photo and details, which UK embassies can issue to any "UK citizen" to get them back to the UK in urgent/unusual/exception circumstances. Remember embassies cannot replace or issue passports without a "go/no-go" decision form the Passport agency in the UK - this document does allow them to exercise some independant decision taking and they can issue it in a flash - meaning : there and then over the counter (if satisified that the circumstances warrant it) e.g. if someone needs to get back to the UK in a rush for a funeral, or to see a dieing relative in hospital ect ect .... and it falls over a long weekend when the UK offices are all closed. These are the sorts of instances in which passport officers can make a balanced decision. But note, it is a one way-one time use document that will only get you into the UK (no other coutnry will accept it) and on arrival at Heathrow (or where ever you enter the UK) it will be a) scrutinised (to ensure it is not a forgery - ask me, I had to use one a few years back and they went over it with a fine toothcomb when I got to Heathrow) :D your claim to citizenship will be confirmed one way or the other before you are allowed to clear immigration, and then if all is in order c) it will then taken away from you, and you will be sent on your way (i..e allowed to enter).

That seems to me to be the best plan of action. This indefineate leave to remain issue is a mute point if you are a UK citizen - you need to get a passport issued in Thailand, or an Emergency Travel/Passport, and then get a so-called full passport once back in the UK (where/why everyone uses thsi term full passport is beyond me - ever seen half a passport?? - its a passport or it ain't a passport, and other than for very rare circumstances the time limited 5 year passports are usualy only issued to under 16yr olds).

Thats my take on the situation youre in.

All the best.

Edited by Maizefarmer, 2008-11-17 16:05:41.

Sponsored by...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: