Running A Bar In Sihanoukville,cambodia

36 replies to this topic

#1 mel2surf

mel2surf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 2009-01-17 11:41:58

Anyone run a bar in Sihanoukville,or have experiences doing business there?
Thanks,
Mel

#2 dumball

dumball

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 2009-01-17 13:16:45

Thanks,
Mel

I guess it is the same as anywhere in the world realy , have enough capital to stay alive for several months without expecting any profit , more to establish who you are , what you give , how you treat your customers , the ambience of the premises , being a little different in your approach , supplying little 'Extras ' on occassion , have 'Special ' days for certain items , etc , etc . Most important in my estimation would be LOCATION for your type of buisiness , a thorough survey of the local area to ensure you have the 'Traffic ' available for you to build the buisiness , sit in like places to learn how the locals succeed (Or fail) .

A friend of mine was moved a few thousand metres due to road work ,which was never done , on the same road and buisiness dropped off considerably .He is currently in hospital in the UK or I feel sure he would enjoy a chat or two with you , he is aware of pitfalls and who to keep in with , he learned the hard way .

Think hard , think long , haste makes waste , vet out potential employees .

#3 mel2surf

mel2surf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 2009-01-18 11:32:07

sounds like sound advice

cheers!

#4 tchk

tchk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 2009-01-24 10:23:25

Lots of closed bars around here, probably quite cheap. Bring friends along so you have some customers.

#5 dumball

dumball

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 2009-01-24 12:47:28

Lots of closed bars around here, probably quite cheap. Bring friends along so you have some customers.

Too many friends and family hanging around any buisiness is not good for buisiness in the long run , unless they are there for the right reasons , to spend money at your buisiness . Have ran buisiness for myself and others over many years , all were successfull , what is not often considered is the amount of time 'Stolen' for "Chit-Chat " on things that are not relevant to your operation . This can tie up both you and your staff , not allowing them time to perform thier duties in a timely manner , some good customers will go elsewhere , some will spend less time and money with your establishment and you get left with the low profit time wasters (Friends) .

In a walk in style of opperation , one needs to analise the daily events , taking notes as you go along , listen to comments from customers , complaints can be most important as to how you change to suit or just sit back and relax "Ha-ben-aha ". You need to what I term as 'Styerate the clients' , good profit through to hangers on who detract from profitability , gently but nicely reduce the low end types . A buisiness can only be as successfull as the energy and thought you put into it , and of course , a certain amount of luck . :o :D

#6 dumball

dumball

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 2009-01-24 12:52:31

Oh , just one more thing , why did those bars close in the first place , often poor management , untrained staff , laxidaisical attitude etc , some can be regurgitated successfully , others not , be cautious and self critical . :o

#7 mel2surf

mel2surf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 2009-01-25 10:27:46

There are two bars that are doing decent business here in the Golden Lion Plaza (a small strip of bars)
THOSE two guys do better than the bars further back because they are right at the road and entrance.There is a bar for sale right next door(one back) to the busiest bars (The Shipwreck and Paddy's)It is already fitted out,and was previously The Sandgroper Bar.
I'm hesitant to do ANY type of business in the current economic environment,but there does seem to be alot of growth in this town.Also,I know that the owners of both those bars do get together and organize promotions,etc. Something I would participate in as well,and I've met both owners...both are good guys.

Thanks for the advice and insights

mel

#8 dumball

dumball

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 2009-01-25 14:29:18

Hello Mel , if you took on this available bar , is there room or trade for a barang oriented restaraunt that would be able and willing to supply the type of food they would like to enjoy instead of that which is currently dished up as this , that or the other ? I ask this because I have a wife who has been taught to cook 'What I want "as apposed to "what she thinks I want . Please look around , can you sit down to Cornish pasties , a decent piza or hamburger , cock-a leaky soup , chili-con-carnie , KFC style chicken and chips , and other distant memories ? These could be dished up as 'bar-food ' that mother wished she could cook , please put some thought into this as an adendum to your prospective plans .

Just asking . :o

#9 mel2surf

mel2surf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 2009-01-28 12:09:26

Hi C,
I do know that TWO of the bars currently for sale have small kitchens attached.
May be a good idea for a bar area like this that is open 24 hrs.
Hope all is well with you,and your new year is off to a good start.

mel

#10 JimsKnight

JimsKnight

The Forlorn Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 2009-01-28 13:42:33

Be wary of Snookyville.
I know of at least one bar owner whose bar was pulled down due to a heavyweight poo-yai type wanting to build a bank or some
such building...
Would be the last place in Asia I'd consider for running bars.
I don't know how busy it gets their but the customers don't tend to be the big drinkers and spenders compared to Thailand.

#11 Pattayatony

Pattayatony

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 2009-01-28 21:16:43

There are two bars that are doing decent business here in the Golden Lion Plaza (a small strip of bars)
THOSE two guys do better than the bars further back because they are right at the road and entrance.There is a bar for sale right next door(one back) to the busiest bars (The Shipwreck and Paddy's)It is already fitted out,and was previously The Sandgroper Bar.
I'm hesitant to do ANY type of business in the current economic environment,but there does seem to be alot of growth in this town.Also,I know that the owners of both those bars do get together and organize promotions,etc. Something I would participate in as well,and I've met both owners...both are good guys.

Thanks for the advice and insights

mel

I have been living here for almost 2 years & I would not have a bar in the Golden Lion Plaza if you gave me free rent for the first two years. There are only a hand full of successful business in Sihanoukville being run by foreigners, So be warned. To check it out come & have a look in the wet season.
Cheers Tony

#12 Svenn

Svenn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 2009-01-29 12:07:21

Sihanoukville seems over-barred already, maybe i'm wrong... but holiday places like that seem like you really have to have something special about your place to get enough customers, i.e. i wouldn't want to compete. Your primary goal would be to get yourself in the Lonely Planet book, as that's what 90% of the tourists have.

I dunno, I would try to get in at the places with the nice beaches, be it on an island or somewhere, cuz that's where it's going to end up growing the most. Kep would have to be a long-term business plan, but you'd be the first real barang bar there and if it ever develops you'd be set for life.

#13 joey0369

joey0369

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 2009-01-31 08:28:33

Thanks,
Mel

Here's an idea.......Let me take about 4 months pay away from you and then kick you in the nuts. in the long run it will be less painful and cost less.

#14 Nampeung

Nampeung

• RIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 2009-02-01 08:36:02

Hand over the sick bag now ...

#15 Tazzy

Tazzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 2009-02-02 08:45:35

If you havn't already done it it is worth reading the "bits from the beach" pages in the Bayon Pearnik http://www.bayonpearnik.com/
Although a light hearted publication it gives you an insight on who has started a business & more importantly who & what has shut their doors & sometimes why

Good luck with the business, I met the guy who had the Sandgroper Bar when he first started up & had a few good night there

#16 mel2surf

mel2surf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 2009-02-03 14:52:23

Thanks for the replies and for keeping this thread going.
Perhaps others too can benefit from the comments.

I now have two friends,and possibly three moving here
from my city in California! All have a few $ to invest as well.
It might get very interesting.Two of my buds are musicians
as well,and will be bringing gear and I too used to do some vocal work.
What if we were to do something like this somewhere in Snooky?:

A small to medium sized bar/guesthouse with a few poles for
females to dance/hostess. A few hostesses to loligag with customers,
a DJ booth and stage for live music,drink specials
also a website that constantly updates with pics of the girls/fun and forum
discussion. Sound familiar?..lol

#17 Unregistered: madcow_*

Unregistered: madcow_*
  • Guests

Posted 2009-02-10 20:28:56

Before you invest in a bar in Sihanoukville , I would suggest you spend a wet season there .

Many bars have closed , only to reopen again with a new cashed up owner , not long the cash runs out ,
and so it goes on .

The Lions Plaza is certainly not a viable proposition unless you would be prepared to close for six months of the year .

A lot of investors go to snooky ( Or lots of places for that matter ) in high season , and see $$$$$$$$ to be made
with no effort .

Unfortunately it just doesnt work like that , a couple of months of good trade , 3-4 months of average trade ,
and the rest of the year ..... ZILCH !

Edited by madcow, 2009-02-10 20:34:10.

#18 tchk

tchk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 2009-02-10 23:57:48

I just visited the Golden Lions Plaza this Tuesday night at 22:00. About 3 of the 12-20 bars were closed for good, up for sale or otherwise, most had betweeen 0 to 2 customers, only 2 on the front were operative, so-so.

Forget it. Come back during the rainy season when hopefully rentals will have dropped, and even so, be prepared for a long long wait.

#19 mel2surf

mel2surf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 2010-01-09 14:54:34

Update: Have changed mind about a bar in Snooky.Already have a small biz in Pattaya and its doing alright.Thanks to all who contributed and Happy New Year.

#20 dumball

dumball

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 2010-01-10 12:28:12

'mel2surf'
Update: Have changed mind about a bar in Snooky.Already have a small biz in Pattaya and its doing alright.Thanks to all who contributed and Happy New Year.
[/quote]

Hi Mel ,

Long time no hear , never did make it down to Snooky since my buddy there died whilst in England , so many things going on here in PP , then Srengs papa died , so on and so forth . Hope it is what we discussed before , properly run can be a success .

I am making plans to return to old country soon , too much noise here and find it hard to get through solid heads what it is "IWANT" considering I am paying , had a big house built in the village so family live well now , please keep in touch . C .

#21 threelegcowboy

threelegcowboy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 2010-01-12 11:17:43

Thanks,
Mel

Here's an idea.......Let me take about 4 months pay away from you and then kick you in the nuts. in the long run it will be less painful and cost less.

Joe you have put into words what I have thought for years on this subject. So many have tried only to go bust.
:)

#22 JR Texas

JR Texas

Platinum Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 2010-01-12 13:50:17

Thanks,
Mel

Joe you have put into words what I have thought for years on this subject. So many have tried only to go bust.

When does the rainy season start and for how many months does it continue?

What happens to business during the raining season?

How do people who rent space deal with the loss of income during the rainy season? Are most rental agreements adjustable (e.g., much lower during the rainy season).

Just curious...........I, like many others, have tried to get good information on the business situation in Sihanoukville.

The last time I was there, during the rainy season, it was pouring down rain each day........many places were just closed.

It seems to be an up and coming place.

#23 ozzydom

ozzydom

Platinum Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 2010-01-14 20:21:25

Thanks,
Mel

When does the rainy season start and for how many months does it continue?

What happens to business during the raining season?

How do people who rent space deal with the loss of income during the rainy season? Are most rental agreements adjustable (e.g., much lower during the rainy season).

Just curious...........I, like many others, have tried to get good information on the business situation in Sihanoukville.

The last time I was there, during the rainy season, it was pouring down rain each day........many places were just closed.

It seems to be an up and coming place.

There are enough resident expats around to allow a well run bar to tread water during the low season, having a personality and/or a gimmick helps, Cultivating a close knit group of friends in a club like atmosphere appears to be the way that the successful bars operate.

#24 NADTATIDA1

NADTATIDA1

Banned!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 2010-01-15 09:28:51

You could always strip your staff naked and do internal searches on them before giving them there daily 100 baht wage.

Just an idea?

#25 grumpyoldman

grumpyoldman

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 2010-01-17 10:00:24

Thanks,
Mel

Better yet, give me your money Mel and in a year I'll give you 50% back. Better than losing it all....

Sponsored by...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: