Can I Ship My Car Over To Thailand?

14 replies to this topic

#1 acacia

acacia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 03:16:03

Hello everyone..i have a question i have a car here in England and i want to take it back with me when im going back to thailand..does anyone know how could i do that please help..lots of thx...( im thai citizen)

Edited by acacia, 2009-04-21 03:16:58.

#2 monkfish

monkfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 03:53:44

Yes but you will pay a lot of tax (300% or something stupid, not sure exactly but a lot) unless you have a work permit and then you will pay a lot of tax still.

Try google search for Thai customs for exact figures.

:o in the end its cheaper to buy here.

#3 Carib

Carib

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 04:02:10

http://www.customs.g...nuNme=HouseHold

This link to The Thai customs site shows that a car is not seen as a household good. So it means you will have to pay a hefty tax bill on it. Somewhere on the same site you can read something about percentages/vat/ stuff like that which you will have to pay.

#4 Ta22

Ta22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 04:17:41

the question would be mroe like . what CAR . model . and spec .

it be better off to by one in Thailand if you can find the model in Thailand .

--
is it a Rare cars . like some of the retor cars i collect .

you can do a plate swap if you import it buy parts , but make sure you secure a registery booket first . and the process is not going to be cheap .

--

my advice is forget the idea ,

if your cars is worth 5 million . then sell it and buy a new cars here .

if it just going to worth 300-400k
don't waste your time going ove r the silly process which the sucecss rate is 50% or badly delay for the next 1 years or so . the trip to clear the process alone is enough to give you a heart attack .

#5 monkfish

monkfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 04:18:43

Yep there we go

http://www.customs.g...e=PersonalPer#4

I think % is based on Thai value of the car as well

#6 monkfish

monkfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 04:23:27

Sorry did you add the Thai Citizen bit? mmm look into it but I think its about the same, anyway my wife decided not to import her car.

#7 thaimate

thaimate

my way or the highway

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 08:50:51

imported a car about 5years ago ,as far as i know its still on the docks ,so much hastle that in the end didnt bother to go get it.

#8 Cuban

Cuban

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 10:15:54

If you are Thai I suggest that you speak directly to an import company and to Thai customs.

#9 micky44

micky44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 14:19:35

there is some rule for thai nationals returning to thailand that enables them to import one car home, as long as they have owned it in the foriegn country for at least 2 years and have held a foriegn lincense for the said vehicle, it goes some thing like that!! if the above are met you do not pay 300% tax, you still pay tax not sure how much, but it is still not worth the hassle.

#10 BigSnake

BigSnake

Platinum Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 14:23:19

Yes you can but be ready for some heavy taxing by Thailand, cost me almost double the original cost of my car to ship it to the Kindgom. You might be better of buy one here, which is the point the Thai tax man is making. :o :D

#11 acacia

acacia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 16:47:29

Hi thank you guys for the information..that is a bit shocking me haha..seem like i'll have to change my ides about import my car then..feel abit dispointed.oh well nothing i can do if it gonna cost me a shit load of money better buy a new one ova there when i move back.

Attached Files

#12 spacefruit

spacefruit

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 2009-04-21 17:46:01

Hello everyone..i have a question i have a car here in England and i want to take it back with me when im going back to thailand..does anyone know how could i do that please help..lots of thx...( im thai citizen)

Here is the short answer:

Forget it.

#13 stingray

stingray

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 2009-04-24 22:14:57

Hi thank you guys for the information..that is a bit shocking me haha..seem like i'll have to change my ides about import my car then..feel abit dispointed.oh well nothing i can do if it gonna cost me a shit load of money better buy a new one ova there when i move back.

Speeks excellent english for a Thai Citizen

#14 thaicbr

thaicbr

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 2009-04-25 11:18:09

Stingray. I know at least 2 Thai citizens that can speak excellent English. Because they were raised in the US. So i take it you were congragulating the OP on their language skills, Yes.

#15 Boater

Boater

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,429 posts

Posted 2009-04-25 15:26:53

nice car, i also had the same, worth about 4K in the uk ( 200 K THB )

but there was a cnvertible BMW like this for sale in BKK, but the price tag was 1.5 Million THB !

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: