280 replies to this topic

#76 Livinginexile

Livinginexile

Diamond Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 2009-05-17 04:57:25

Livinginexile, congrats on your time. Don't think of it as the rest of your life; do it one day at a time. I am coming up on 15 years. The bottom line is: I don't drink one day at a time. No matter what happens, I will not drink today. When I get up tomorrow, I start over. Good luck man. What you're doing is not easy, but it gets easier. I've found life to be much better sober.

11 days :D

Geez 15 years.
That seems like an eternity for where I am looking :D I guess thats what's difference about doing AA.
I went to a meeting last night and this guy said "it's actually not difficult to stop drinking, the hard bit is to stay stoped".
From my past experiences that little jem hit home.

I'm off to a family BBQ today, they don't even know I've stoped drinking. It's going to be the first time I've been around alcahol. I feel safe though, my resolve is still strong. My big brother is going to be pissed off that I'm not drinking. Should be interesting :)

#77 dee123

dee123

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 2009-05-17 05:40:02

"All day everyday",....was me too except I could completely stop for a month or two.Gradually the gaps got longer and the buzz of the first pint turned into the fear of getting back on the booze.Don't expect too much but as they say at AA your heading in the right direction. Good luck mate.

#78 perilousp

perilousp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 2009-05-17 12:56:30

Congrats on quitting! You are doing so well. Keep up the good work! I am on the same time frame with quitting cigs. I know if I have one I will smoke the pack. You have kept me strong!

#79 Livinginexile

Livinginexile

Diamond Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 2009-05-18 05:33:17

12 days :)

I was at a family BBQ yesterday, everyone was drinking beer as usual.
Suddenly out of the blue I felt like a drink, just like that. Boy it was a strong compulsion too.
I didn't drink but I tell you, when the compulsion comes up it comes up strong.
Anyway 12 days today and physically I am feeling fine.

#80 loong

loong

Floppy Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 2009-05-18 05:52:52

Can't have been easy, at least you know that you can resist when temptation is right in your face.
Good for you.

#81 lioness

lioness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 2009-05-18 06:20:33

You are doing so well, 12 days is like a lifetime in this situation, and I am so pleased you got through the family BarBQ ok, you have so much support here and I feel sure it must be helping.

We are all with you - you are in deed a big man with a lot of living to look forward too.

All the very best

#82 Livinginexile

Livinginexile

Diamond Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 2009-05-18 21:59:44

13 days :)

#83 padfoot

padfoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 2009-05-19 11:54:02

Livinginexile, I'm glad to see you sticking with it. One day at a time. It will get easier.

#84 loong

loong

Floppy Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 2009-05-19 13:05:40

Well done Living,
You're going to be the winner

#85 Livinginexile

Livinginexile

Diamond Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 2009-05-20 06:07:03

14 days :)

When I was 2 days sober 14 days seemed like a long way off.
I still wake up in the morning feeling like a huge hangover but without the headache. Has anyone else experienced this in early sobriety?
Last night I had a drinking dream, very disturbing. My wife says I am very restless through the night.

#86 cognos

cognos

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 2009-05-20 06:46:51

Thanx for the suport guys.

I'll just try to keep it in the day.
I walked for miles and miles today with my son, it helped take my mind off the booze.
It's a hard one isn't it?
But I didn't drink today and that means everything to me.

Good work..try to rely on God,as left to our own devices we are often weak and led into tempation.You don't necessarly need the 12 step program.It works, however many people quit without AA, probably over 99%. Being a dry drunk is better than being drunk, but the goal should be to realize complete happiness and peace of mind, without the handicap of a few hours of fun for way more hours of misery.

#87 cognos

cognos

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 2009-05-20 06:48:29

Thanx for the suport guys.

I'll just try to keep it in the day.
I walked for miles and miles today with my son, it helped take my mind off the booze.
It's a hard one isn't it?
But I didn't drink today and that means everything to me.

Good work..try to rely on God,as left to our own devices we are often weak and led into tempation.You don't necessarly need the 12 step program.It works, however many people quit without AA, probably over 99%. Being a dry drunk is better than being drunk, but the goal should be to realize complete happiness and peace of mind, without the handicap of a few hours of fun for way more hours of misery.

should read "temptation"

#88 B Fuddled

B Fuddled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 2009-05-20 09:40:01

‘One Day At A Time’. All of my life I would change my thinking and subsequently I would change my behavior. I tried for years to make it work with drinking. Then, I trusted some wise people who told me that if I changed my behavior, they would help me change my thinking. That was over 20 years ago, one day at a time.

#89 loong

loong

Floppy Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 2009-05-20 09:46:10

14 days :)

When I was 2 days sober 14 days seemed like a long way off.
I still wake up in the morning feeling like a huge hangover but without the headache. Has anyone else experienced this in early sobriety?
Last night I had a drinking dream, very disturbing. My wife says I am very restless through the night.

At 2 days, 2 weeks was a long way off, it just proves how far you have progressed already.

#90 philo

philo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 00:53:11

Anyone know what to do in BKK?

I have an ex- colleague who is slowly killing himself.

He has done AA, and I think he has had anti-abuse tablets (??) in the past. The place in Kachanaburi is expensive it seems,. I don't think he will go to a Wat.

I am not qualified to say whether he needs to go in a ward, or if he can have tablets at home. Ideally he needs some kind of good psychiatrist in BKK, who will give him the tablets he needs and see him regularly. maybe Bumrungrad or somewhere, I was going to suggest that. But...I don't know which place does that stuff.

Any comments would be helpful.

thanks

P Ed

Hi Paul,

I believe there are some very good detox centres in Bangkok. Some are expensive, some are cheap. But your friend has to want to do this himself, he has to be ready otherwise it's a waist of time.
I never went myself, I only got as far as getting some details whilst I was in Thailand.
I can give you the details and contact numbers if you PM me.

Good luck with your friend

All the best

I see you are keeping up the good work. The best of luck.

Could you - or anybody who has information on detox centres/hospitals provide more detailed information, please.

Name, address, tel., Can I smoke ?, Bring a laptop?, Use a cellphone, Order fastfood (stupid question when you are dying from alcohol - I know), Bring my wife and kids, ????

And approximately price (with no complications). If I cannot afford it here, I have to leave for my home country.

Thanks

#91 Livinginexile

Livinginexile

Diamond Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 07:44:44

Anyone know what to do in BKK?

I have an ex- colleague who is slowly killing himself.

He has done AA, and I think he has had anti-abuse tablets (??) in the past. The place in Kachanaburi is expensive it seems,. I don't think he will go to a Wat.

I am not qualified to say whether he needs to go in a ward, or if he can have tablets at home. Ideally he needs some kind of good psychiatrist in BKK, who will give him the tablets he needs and see him regularly. maybe Bumrungrad or somewhere, I was going to suggest that. But...I don't know which place does that stuff.

Any comments would be helpful.

thanks

P Ed

Hi Paul,

I believe there are some very good detox centres in Bangkok. Some are expensive, some are cheap. But your friend has to want to do this himself, he has to be ready otherwise it's a waist of time.
I never went myself, I only got as far as getting some details whilst I was in Thailand.
I can give you the details and contact numbers if you PM me.

Good luck with your friend

All the best

I see you are keeping up the good work. The best of luck.

Could you - or anybody who has information on detox centres/hospitals provide more detailed information, please.

Name, address, tel., Can I smoke ?, Bring a laptop?, Use a cellphone, Order fastfood (stupid question when you are dying from alcohol - I know), Bring my wife and kids, ????

And approximately price (with no complications). If I cannot afford it here, I have to leave for my home country.

Thanks

Hi Phil,

If you PM me I will give you a phone number of someone in Bangkok that can provide you with all that information.

Best of luck mate.

#92 Livinginexile

Livinginexile

Diamond Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 07:45:49

15 days :)

#93 Sheryl

Sheryl

Star Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 07:46:17

I sent my nephew to an excellent and very affordable place in the Phillippines: Recovery House (in Cebu). :

<recoveryhouse@cebu-i.next.net>
tel: 63-32-2340355

It worked for him and I was very impressed with the sincerity and dedication of the staff.

It was about 5 years ago and at that time less than US $400 a month for room, board and therapy. At that time at least it was a better option than anything I could find in Thailand.

There or pretty much any other residential detox program, you can't bring along wife and kids and will initially be limited in making phone calls, this is done to help cut off alcoholics and addicts (they treat both) from negative influences. Obviously less of an issue for you as you'd be thousands of miles from your usual drinking buddies etc, but those are the rules. Initial separation from family is an important part of the immersion in rehab...enables you to give full attention to sorting things out and reflecting on your life, getting insight.

Laptop and smokes, no idea, you'd have to ask, ditto smokes.

I don't think food is any problem.

There is also a place near Manila : New Beginnings Foundation
Treatment Center
23 Villaba cor. Ynchaust Sts. Phase 6-A, BF Homes, Paranaque, Manila, Philippines
Telephone
+63 2 8094578
+63 2 7722122
+63 920 9066200

#94 Livinginexile

Livinginexile

Diamond Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 21:15:50

16 days :)

#95 loong

loong

Floppy Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 21:22:41

You definitely deserve to give yourself a pat on the back now - your doing so well.
Hope that you are sleeping better now

#96 TheWalkingMan

TheWalkingMan

Errant Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 21:42:09

Keep up the fight!

#97 Livinginexile

Livinginexile

Diamond Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 21:51:29

You definitely deserve to give yourself a pat on the back now - your doing so well.
Hope that you are sleeping better now

Thanx loong

Physically I feel fine.
Sleeping is still a problem. The wife tells me I am very restless like I am having nightmares. Luckily I don't remember.
The worst thing is in the mornings. I really feel like I've got a huge hangover! No headache but I takes me a good hour to centre myself and 3 strong coffees.
I know this will pass with time.
Today I was driving home with my wife and son. Suddenly my wife looked at me and started chuckling. I asked what she was laughing at.
She said "Nothing, I'm just happy to have my husband back"
She was really happy and it really warmed my heart :)

#98 sbk

sbk

Star Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,183 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 21:53:32

Just remember, this is the first hump to get over. Next hump is dealing with the problems and behaviors that got you drinking in the first place. You don't say if you are attending AA meetings, and while AA might not be for you, for sure you need to do something more than just stopping drinking. Don't mean to be a party pooper because you are doing great, and I think its wonderful that you are so committed to keeping sober. Baby steps, livinginexile, baby steps. But keep it up, and you will be great.

#99 ThaiPauly

ThaiPauly

Titanium Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 23:01:42

Just remember, this is the first hump to get over. Next hump is dealing with the problems and behaviors that got you drinking in the first place. You don't say if you are attending AA meetings, and while AA might not be for you, for sure you need to do something more than just stopping drinking. Don't mean to be a party pooper because you are doing great, and I think its wonderful that you are so committed to keeping sober. Baby steps, livinginexile, baby steps. But keep it up, and you will be great.

You are right SBK.

Once you take the alcohol away there is a hole that needs to be filled.

I've filled mine and I fill it on a daily basis.

It's also possible that one's partner may take time to get used to this "new person" :)

#100 ding

ding

mondo vita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 2009-05-21 23:11:21

Livinginexile,congrats. We're all different distances from our last drunk, but all just an arm's length away from a drink. 24 years for me and it's a great jouney. I liked hearing that I never had to drink again. And that no person, no place, and no thing - could EVER make me take a drink again.

No <deleted> way.

Contentment is enough for me today. I stopped chasing the "juice" in life and have replaced excitement and chaos with serenity and love. Pollyanna? yep, but it works for me. I don't know how it works, or why it works - and I don't have to. I can see that it definitely DOES work. eom
:)

"Today I was driving home with my wife and son. Suddenly my wife looked at me and started chuckling. I asked what she was laughing at.
She said "Nothing, I'm just happy to have my husband back"
She was really happy and it really warmed my heart "
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about.

Edited by ding, 2009-05-21 23:26:21.

Sponsored by:

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: