#51 animatic

animatic

Observant member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,239 posts

Posted 2010-02-10 22:01:34

Well one reason this came up is the lead prosecutor stated publicly
he planned to try and take everything. And that got lots of press and speculations.

I can agree with jdniasia; yes that have a right to ask for this gag order.

But I also agree that it is diametrically opposed to all the posturing that
Thaksin has been at with the Red Shirts and attempts to rebrand his
street riot army thugs into a mostly female democracy movement.

But it is pure Thaksin too.
This guy has tried to stifle ALL critique of himself and his business using all means at his disposal,
and often those of the state apparatus, and the whole point of this trial is that
he used state apparatus to further his aims and clan fortunes.

it is only fair that that same apparatus can be used to show up his deceptions,
and that it be an transparent and open process in the INVERSE of how he tried to do things.

#52 Jirapa

Jirapa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 2010-02-10 22:02:39

Errmmm? If any major foreign news broadcasters or agencies even care about this I'm sure we'll hear about it gag or not. I won't be loosing any sleep over it!

Edited by Jirapa, 2010-02-10 22:04:31.

#53 HerbalEd

HerbalEd

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 2010-02-10 22:12:13

really, who bothers about the media speculations - they are there to sell more copies/sell more advertising time, so everything they write/broadcast has to be taken with a pinch of salt or just outright ignored

Given that main-stream media is a business and has to make a profit ... with your logic I guess you never trust anything any media has to say. Does this mean you never read or listen to the news?

#54 ding

ding

mondo vita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 2010-02-10 22:51:15

Freedom of Press the Thai way?

A big :) and a red card to the court :D

They do it in America now. They remove cameras from court for trials. They barred pics of flag draped coffins of our fallen heroes being returned from Iraq. They said it was to protect the families but the families wanted us to honor their sacrifice. It was just so we didn't see the true cost of a BS war.

Odd if it is Taksins who want the gag. There were just be a pent up explosion of coverage afterward. The info starvation will feed that fire. Why would Thais cow to Taksin demands? The government must be worried about chaos. Will there be open record following or will we assume there are current officials with something to hide?

#55 Wombat6

Wombat6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 2010-02-10 23:02:06

I doubt whether any media speculation would influence the judges in the case but perhaps the government should have a look at where the finances of the children of Thaksin came from if they can afford to petition the supreme court. I don't think that it would be cheap to take this type of action

#56 jdinasia

jdinasia

Leave my member out of it!

• Advanced Members
  • 18,330 posts

Posted 2010-02-10 23:33:31

I doubt whether any media speculation would influence the judges in the case but perhaps the government should have a look at where the finances of the children of Thaksin came from if they can afford to petition the supreme court. I don't think that it would be cheap to take this type of action

ummm they have lawyers (some of the best) ... they have money ..... a claim for almost 50 BILLION Baht ....

But what does it cost to file a motion with the court in which you are a defendant/plaintif? Priceless --- (nothing)

#57 h90

h90

Reptilian Member

• Advanced Members
  • 18,165 posts

Posted 2010-02-10 23:52:21

Freedom of Press the Thai way?

A big :) and a red card to the court :D

They do it in America now. They remove cameras from court for trials. They barred pics of flag draped coffins of our fallen heroes being returned from Iraq. They said it was to protect the families but the families wanted us to honor their sacrifice. It was just so we didn't see the true cost of a BS war.

Odd if it is Taksins who want the gag. There were just be a pent up explosion of coverage afterward. The info starvation will feed that fire. Why would Thais cow to Taksin demands? The government must be worried about chaos. Will there be open record following or will we assume there are current officials with something to hide?

they even jailed some reporter without seeing any court for reporting the wrong things.....I think these days a reuter report got released after 1.5 years.
So the ban for a few days is not such a big problem

#58 eggomaniac

eggomaniac

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 01:14:06

Think about this, sorry if somebody already mentioned this aspect of the Topic, it would be HARD to find a new point of view or different speculation that is NOT already Posted in Thai Visa about the outcome of the court case.
They would have to order an audit of dozens of Topics and hundred of Posts to eradicate all past discussion of the Issue!
Somebody better get the Hi Lite pen out!!!!
***Regardless of the outcome of the court case, and regardless if Thaksin dies of a heart attack, or not, my research into the red movement reveals, in my opinion, it has reached 'critical mass' and is unstoppable under the present political set up in Thailand.
Remember thinking it will happen is not the same as hoping it will happen. It would just replace one family of crocodiles in the swamp with another set.
*** Let's put stars by the comments that will have to purged, to make it easier on the TV moderators, what say?
I have a wonderful plan that both sides agree with. Many Thais, reds, yellows and whites showed great acceptance of my ideas and emotion. Some even got teary eyed as I described the plan. <This is absolutely true.
The aboriginals of NA had the death penalty and I endeavor to live by that standard, even though dishonesty is 'wrongly' viewed as 'virtue' by politicians, lawyers, new people and educators. It HARD to be honest in this World.
My Plan is partly based on the 6 Nations system of democracy, only partly. There are elements which recognize the cultural and historical aspects of Thai Society.
I have recently read that Benjamin Franklin adopted elements of the oldest, 800 years, and most successful democratic system in World history.
he could have attained real genius status if the adopted the whole system of the 6 Nations.

#59 Publicus

Publicus

Official Honorary Sub-Expert 3rd Class

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 01:29:51

[quote name='jdinasia' post='3332353' date='2010-02-10 22:38:42'][quote name='scorecard' post='3332312' date='2010-02-10 21:14:05'][quote name='jdinasia' post='3332211' date='2010-02-10 20:30:49'

I respect your opinion. Can I ask why you see a valid reasoning for the children to ask for a gag order?

I'm guessing you mean that anybody (rich or poor) can request a gag order. Is that part of what you are meaning, and is it actually provided for in the justive processes, and is it reality that a poor person's request for a gag order would be listened to?

Or are we in fact seeing another double standards example?[/quote]
Oh, don't get me wrong ... I do NOT think it should be approved! I just think it is improper to cry about a defendant exercising their rights.

No, I do not think that the relative net-worth of a defendant is the issue. Gag orders are usually only approved in limited ways and either to protect the legal process itself or to protect victims etc. They (in most places) must meet the burden that approving a gag order does more benefit than harm. Harm usually being to the freedom of the press or transparency in the government (freedom of information).

Sorry Tigs I disagree --- in a case with this much significance I think it is vital to have as much information as possible open to public scrutiny. People are still crying that Thaksin got screwed over in the ratchada land case --- and that was so cut and dryed that any other verdict would have been shocking. (Was the case politically motivated? probably! Does that change Thaksin's guilt one iota? Nope!) You know how to avoid politically motivated convictions? Don't be guilty!
[/quote]
Indeed, this is more Thaksin intimidation of the media and the courts for entirely personal reasons. The overwhelming consensus is that Thaksin will lose his loot. Discussion therefore of the how, when, why, who-all and the what are detrimental to Thaksin. He wants it stopped. Sending his childredn forward is but another cynical maneouver by Thaksin to front for his interests.

Yes, gag orders are issued in the UK (almost willy-nilly) and are issued in the US on occasion but often reversed (cancelled) on appeal. See link:

http://www.rcfp.org/...ndex.php?i=9850

........in respect to the Patriot Act of George W. Bush and the Republican controlled Congress of the time.

Freedom of the press is strong and alive in Thailand where a convicted fugitive former PM who was acting interim PM when he was deposed can blanket the country with his subversive publications and broadcast media. Remarkably so (perhaps suicidally so). The guy is free to publish and broadcast to overthrow the government and himself seize power. This is Amazing Thailand style freedom of speech, i.e., OTT freedom of speech.

Somebody has to gag Thaksin and gag him good.

#60 Trouble

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 04:05:53

Okay, this thread has now about 60 responses. 60 responses to an announcement in which ThaiVisa somehow thinks it is the only news source to this story. So much so that IF a gag order is given they won't be able to report and we should follow up on twitter or facebook. This was nothing more than advertising for their links to facebook and twitter. Does anyone really care about the endless speculation on what the courts final judgement will be. Let's just wait and see what the ruling is when they give it. Then everyone can put in their two cents worth of opinion.

#61 andy1308

andy1308

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 06:36:33

Would you want the media to speculate about the outcome of a court verdict if you were the subject of the case? As a previous poster mentioned it's common in other parts of the world and comes under the subject of subjidice and, possibly, contempt of court.

I think the one important question here is what the term 'media' means? Does it only mean the traditional media? Will any court order that's granted also include websites, blogs, etc. Even Facebook and Twitter are forms of publishing.

#62 animatic

animatic

Observant member

• Advanced Members
  • 17,239 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 07:12:17

I don't see how Thai Visa thinks it is the only news source.
I think they announced this and noted the probability that
the forum could easily be included into the media blackout,
since there IS precedent for that.

So far there isn't precedent for Twitter or Facebook to be blocked the same,
but yes it is publishing in some form, but a new form,
and maybe there is enough of an time lag before judges think
of what to do with it to allow it to continue there.

Either way it is Thaksin trying to manipulate the public sentiment.
True to his form.

#63 marshbags

marshbags

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 08:51:40

Patience, fellow members / debators, in 17 days ( or so ) when the sh*t hits the fan, you can really have a go, perhaps putting our TNC section on flood alert, along with breaking all records in doing so at the same time.

Sadly a lot of you will once again have already prematurely voiced your oppositions and approvals and many of us will be bored stiff once again at what seems to have been a never ending debate and constant repetition of going over the same ground, time after time and after initially responding to the now expected and predictable News emails ..........................................

Will find it all so :D and bugger off for a :D or whatever..............

Motivation is going to be seriously lacking for most of us, but there are always the die hards who need their daily fixes of repetative comment and input.

All for the purpose of opinionating / offering their opinion, against an opinionated selfish individual intent on causing mayhem, keeping himself in the limelight and leading everyone who believes his doctrinaire down the road to knowhere, apart that is for his family, renowned and infamouis ilk and chosen other cronies he can later utilise as and when or if the time comes around for him to walk back in with a clean slate.

Wether those who dislike him wish to admit it or not, indirectly, one way or another they are helping him fullfil his dishonourable objectives, time and time again.

IMHO as always

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags, 2010-02-11 08:54:18.

#64 brahmburgers

brahmburgers

danish pastry member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 08:59:07

It's like forbidding high school students from smoking pot or french kissing.

As soon as you forbid something - it makes it more enticing!

Edited by brahmburgers, 2010-02-11 09:00:05.

#65 hammered

hammered

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 09:04:00

A gag order would open the front pages of the media to other stuff. A gag order as requested would not stop Thaksin speaking on the issue and it would not stop the media reporting his words as they would not be speculating. That is two good reasons why Thaksin through his family is requesting that freedom of the media be curtailed. It would also stop the reporting again and again stuff about Ample Rich or the recent research project into Thaksin and business and poltics which are all quite damning against him.

Be interersting how the reds idebntify this. Do they believe in freedom of the media as in demcoracy or do they believe in only supporting Thsaksin whatever. Remember a true believer in democratic freedom of the media would always argue against any interference in what the media wanted to say even if it was abhorent to them. This is a test of the red especially those on the left of the red mobvements adherence ot ideals versus adherance to a person. Absolutely nobody who believes in freedom of speech would agree with this gag order.

#66 Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 09:48:52

ThomChook

The gag order is being sought by two individuals who are defendants in a civil court law suit. The gag order is not about limiting information, it is about limiting speculation on the final verdict.

There is no reason that the media can not report on the case, maybe even give some interesting valuable information to the public.

Without speculating on the verdict, the press can inform the public on the possible verdicts and how they could have some effect, particularly on the telecommunications sector within the country.

A verdict which finds that Government policy was only introduced to benefit Shin Corp, will result in considerable pressure to have many, if not all Government resolutions on the telcom sector during the 2001 - 2006 period made void. After all you cannot say that a policy can be kept, when a court has decided that it was introduced without benefit to the general public, or even to the detriment of the state.

That could well result in considerable price increases, particularly in the pre-paid phone market, and roaming services between operators.

There is also real fears regarding the future viability of Thaicom (Thailands Satelite system). If a guilty verdict is made, then the Government may have no other option than to revoke the concession. (Thaicom is already attempting to sell the concession, but with it losing money and possible future penalties, even if the concession is not revoked, Thaicom may have no option than to forfeit the final 5 years. This will effect Thailands future Satelite program and in particular Thaicom 6.

This case is considerably more important than just Thaksin Shinawatra. There are a total of 22 defendants in this case.

And don't forget, if the full 76 billion baht is seized, 19 billion baht is due to be paid out in rewards to individuals who made the seizure possible. This is covered by law (Section 30 of the NCCC act). A lot of people (not only the defendants) have a vested interest in the outcome of this case.

Just my thoughts....

Good thoughts Slimdog. A lot is at stake, not just the return of money but to look back and change laws?

Has anyone written on the Thai upper class and their role in politics, effects and ability to gain by being in power. Sounds more like a novel/book to put some insight into this process.

But again the Rise and Fall of a Prime Minister would be a good read!

#67 moskito

moskito

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 10:34:32

??Posted Image??

#68 ianh68

ianh68

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 10:54:49

Don't be so flippant about a very serious issue.

The poster I quoted asked a question about freedom of speech in Thailand. My "flippant" reply summed it up in my humble opinion. I think locking somebody up for a decade for posting a video is slightly more of a "serious issue" of freedom of speech than Thaksin's brood whining about people speculating about a court verdict.

Sorry for the thread hijack folks.

Nothing wrong with your "hijack". We all need to be reminded just how undemocratic this place is sometimes. We have been warned!

#69 webfact

webfact

Admin

• Admin
  • 122,208 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 10:58:58

UPDATE

Thaksin's children plead with Supreme Court

Thaksin Shinawatra's children, Panthongtae and Pinthongta, plead with the Supreme Court for a injunction to stop the Assets Examination Committee,
the media, and politicians from commenting on assets seizure case.

-- Tan Network 2010-02-11

#70 dttk0009

dttk0009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 11:03:33

I don't see a valid reason for this information to be censored from the public.

#71 jdinasia

jdinasia

Leave my member out of it!

• Advanced Members
  • 18,330 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 11:15:15

***Regardless of the outcome of the court case, and regardless if Thaksin dies of a heart attack, or not, my research into the red movement reveals, in my opinion, it has reached 'critical mass' and is unstoppable under the present political set up in Thailand.
Remember thinking it will happen is not the same as hoping it will happen. It would just replace one family of crocodiles in the swamp with another set.

Remember --- thinking it (the red shirt movement) has reached critical mass, and it (the red shirt movement) actually having reached critical mass are not the same thing. If you are conducting your research via the web from Canada, I would suggest that your research is limited in scope. If you are conducting your research on the ground in Thailand and are not fluent in at least 3 of the 4 Thai dialects then I submit that your research is too limited in scope. If you are not known and trusted by the people with whom you are speaking (fluently and in their dialect) then I suggest your research is too limited in scope.

In many ways I hope that true democracy DOES reach a level of critical mass here in Thailand and I think both the Reds and the yellows have actually helped that process.

#72 george

george

Puyai Baan

• Root Admin
  • 35,290 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 11:28:32

Update:
Thaksin's son, daughter file complaint with Supreme Court to order AEC to halt negative publicity on assets seizure case.

-- TNA 2010-02-11

#73 phetaroi

phetaroi

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 11:53:11

Gag order - well that's a shame. It's sad that governments (not just in Thailand) do not understand the importance of transparency..unless they have something to hide of course.. which again is a shame

totster :)

Looks to me like you're reading this wrong. It says, "The two adult children of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra plan on Thursday to petition the Supreme Court to issue a gag order..."

Edited by phetaroi, 2010-02-11 11:54:00.

#74 snowflake

snowflake

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 12:19:05

I can understand why they want to put a gag order on the ruling... Who would want to get it all out there?

The Gov. should have put a gag order on it from day one... No talk about him in the press... Now that would have been clever!

I think it is sad if they take it all, I am sure that he was quite wealthy before he became the PM... Thus he should keep that money...

The money from the sale of AIS should also be given back to him, deduct the tax he should have paid and some penalty and there you go...

Right is right, wrong is wrong, he might have done both in the past (which politician in Thailand has a complete white background)?

I do have to say that I do not particularly like the man, BUT, after so many years abroad and still that many people like/love/support him means something.

He was sentence long before his trial began, the money is taken long before they started this... Someone here should look deep into themselves and ask why...

#75 hammered

hammered

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 2010-02-11 12:54:38

Gag order - well that's a shame. It's sad that governments (not just in Thailand) do not understand the importance of transparency..unless they have something to hide of course.. which again is a shame

totster :D

Looks to me like you're reading this wrong. It says, "The two adult children of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra plan on Thursday to petition the Supreme Court to issue a gag order..."

Or to rephrase the guy who got it wrong. Its a shame that those connected with a movement that claims to be about democracy do not understand the importance of transparency. It still works... :)

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: