#1 thaitang

thaitang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 2010-02-21 13:04:37

hi gang,

i have been drinking way too much coffee lately. I wanted to try switching to decaf in the afternoons and evenings, but I have had no success finding decaf coffee for sale at a reasonable price. I think the cheapest jar at Tescos or Tops I have found sofar is 400 Baht, which is 300 Baht more expensive than the (same size) jar of regular Nescafe I buy. I was expecting to pay a premium for decaf, just not 300%. For me that seems just a little too steep. I realize perhaps decaf is not the norm here, but I am just curious if anyone buys decaf regularly for home use that is a little more reasonably priced?

I wonder how much luck I might have at either BigC or CarreFour? I do not live anywhere near a Foodland which I know carries more westernized type food items, so I got to try to get to one to check it out. I also know there is a grocery store in the basement of Siam Paragon shopping mall that I have found food items at before that I could not find elsewhere in BKK, but I do not often get down that way either. If I knew they had what I was looking for though, I would get my arse moving and buys a few jars to last me 2-3 months.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreicated.

thanx,
tt

#2 dmax

dmax

DMAX

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 2010-02-21 16:38:57

you are seriously asking this on thaivisa ? and your from bkk too ? i lived in a small isaan villiage and every shop sold decafe coffee. just go out to local shops and have a look, try tesco,s lotus for a start.

#3 kurnell

kurnell

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 2010-02-21 16:47:48

I know decaf Earl Grey tea is way more expensive that normal, and not sure why??

#4 carmine

carmine

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,037 posts

Posted 2010-02-21 16:50:39

you are seriously asking this on thaivisa ? and your from bkk too ? i lived in a small isaan villiage and every shop sold decafe coffee. just go out to local shops and have a look, try tesco,s lotus for a start.

Best read the OP post again dmax :)

#5 craigt3365

craigt3365

Modified Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,853 posts

Posted 2010-02-21 16:58:55

Can't help you with BKK, but here in Pattaya, not every store has decaf...actually, most don't. And if they do, it is double regular. I CAN NOT drink regular coffee. Just can't handle it. I have started mixing in a little regular to help cut the cost down and that seems to be OK so far. On my last trip here, I brought a very large can in...will do double that on the next trip! I might even have my friends smuggle in a can or two on their next trip here!!!!

I have seen it at Foodland and also at Central.

#6 nam-thip

nam-thip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 2010-02-21 19:55:35

I live in Pattaya and last year i decided Iíd turn to decaf but after seeing the price in the likes of Tesco/Lotus, Carrefour and a few other stores I decided to forget the idea.
Its not that I canít afford it but everything has a price and for me its way to expensive here in LOS.

I buy decaf when Iím visiting my home in the UK and its not cheap but by comparison to what they charge in Thailand, it is cheap!!

#7 thaitang

thaitang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 2010-02-22 11:54:36

On my last trip here, I brought a very large can in...will do double that on the next trip! I might even have my friends smuggle in a can or two on their next trip here!!!!

Well I do go home in May for a couple of weeks and I have thought I will bring some back, but that will only last me so long, I was hoping to find a regular source.

I have seen it at Foodland and also at Central.

Thanks for the reminder about Central. Central never comes to mind immediately b/c I biasedly always think of them as being so expensive. However, I remember when we were shopping for a water filter I mentioned to the GF that just for shits and giggles we should have a look in Central and hot dam_n was I surprised when their prices were lower for the same model we were ready to buy at Tescos.

If I come across anything surpringly cheap I will post it.

cheers,
tt

#8 shaunoro

shaunoro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 2010-02-22 12:03:15

Carrefour ON-NUT has Moccona decaf.

#9 dddave

dddave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 2010-02-22 12:16:57

BON-CAFE stores sell decaf, both beans and instant. They have a store close to the SUTISARN MRT. Google for a map.

Sponsored by...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: