SC

#53 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-04-28 00:43:31

And Hong Kong run away 85 - 10 winners in Dubai against UAE.
Earlier in the afternoon, Qatar beat Lebanon to win the Div. IV tournament.

SC

#54 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-04 07:26:46

So I decided to accept the advice of liver and wallet, and watch the HK - Korea game on Star, rather than at the Football Club; so I'll postpone my flights indefinitely. Its a shame, in a way, but I had hoped to catch the Queen Mother Cup and the BMW Mile the same weekend...

http://asian5nations.com/node/569

SC

#55 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-06 08:16:44

So here I am sat watching the replay of the HK v Korea game in eager anticipation. Unlike the rest of you, I didn't watch it live yesterday, so fon't tell me the score for 80 minutes longer; thanks!

Looks like a good crowd at the football club; i'm embarrassed that there's an empty seat there with my name on it.
And, indeed, somewhere in HK an empty toilet bowl that was meant for my wallet...

Looks like a nice bit of weather as well; a bit of low cloud on the hills behind the stadium; let's sit back and enjoy ...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, please be upstanding for the National Anthems"

#56 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-06 08:53:24

"... and you can see some of the educated minds of the HK rugby fraternity adding their tuppence-worth... every ground has a spot like that, where the miscreants gather" as a young lady walks past with two jugs of beer...

#57 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-06 09:55:32

And Korea force their way over near the posts and convert to take a two-point lead in the 79th minute
And Ross Armour kicks it down for a line-out ... can they steal the Korean throw? Or will Korea move into second place in the Asian Five Nations... The clock shows 80 minutes, as the Korean hooker prepares to throw
Korea knocks on and the HK has a scrum on the 22... Anyone for a drop goal?
No it goes out to the far wing, Korea intercepts and 'the referee decides he's got a couple of seconds up his sleeve' and they play the line-out... McQueen knocks on, and that's it.
'What a great day for Korean rugby, relegated in 2010... and they've beaten the number two seeds 21 - 19... what an exciting game, what an advert for Asian rugby..."

SC

edit: and HK cling on to second place, thanks to bonus points from each game, but Korea has a game in hand...

Edited by StreetCowboy, 2012-05-06 10:06:23.

#58 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-12 11:07:56

Are you all sitting comfortably (well, standing now for the anthems) for the Korea - Japan game.

Japan yet to lose a match (or even drop a bonus point) since the inauguration of the Asian Five Nations in 2008... Korea coming from a tense and exciting win over Hong Kong last weekend

Live on Eurosports and Star Sports

Tops!

SC

#59 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-12 13:35:44

And no surprises as Japan add another five points to their total. 19 games, 19 wins, 19 bonus points, winning 52 - 8 against Korea in Seoul.

Next weekend, Hong Kong travel to Tokyo to take their turn at trying to trip up the Japanese juggernaught.

Elsewhere, UAE held on to leave Khazakhstan staring at relegation, unless they can beat Korea next weekend.

SC

#60 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-26 11:56:11

Anyone else following the Korea v UAE game on Twitter
https://twitter.com/...e=asian5nations

A win for the UAE will give Hong Kong a shot at second place when they play Khazakstan at 4 pm (3pm THAI) this afternoon at Mong Kok Stadium, and also live on Eurosport

SC

#61 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-26 12:49:00

A win for the UAE will give Hong Kong a shot at second place when they play Khazakstan at 4 pm (3pm THAI) this afternoon at Mong Kok Stadium, and also live on Eurosport

SC

After a level scoreboard at half time 14 - 14,
Korea running away with the game, with a few minutes to go, KOR 47 - 21 UAE to cement second place on their return to the top division of Asian rugby

SC

#62 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-26 23:30:56

SC

After a level scoreboard at half time 14 - 14,
Korea running away with the game, with a few minutes to go, KOR 47 - 21 UAE to cement second place on their return to the top division of Asian rugby

SC

And Warrington beat Khazakhstan 55-0 to seal third place so it ends Japan - Korea - Hong Kong - UAE - Khazakhstan, who go down to Division 1, while Philippines take their place in the top flight nest year.

Division Two Finals at the Royal Selangor Club in KL next weekend - I'm sure you'll all be there cheering for Thailand
Who will go up to Division I to replace Singapore - the first team from the the top flight to sink to Division 2 for 2013? Who will keep alive their 2015 World Cup dream?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy, 2012-05-26 23:31:32.

#63 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-27 12:39:32

And Warrington beat Khazakhstan 55-0 ...
SC

should of course read "Hong Kong beat Khazakhstan 55-0" - it was the similiarity of the scores, and the fact that I was catching up on the results while watching the Magic Weekend from Manchester... Anyway, my apologies to anyone who has been roaming in perplexion since the small hours of the morning.

SC

#64 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-05-29 14:20:30

So who all is coming down to KL for the Division II then? Edit: This coming Saturday afternoon...

The venue has been changed to Kelana Jaya Stadium, which is quite handy for Kelana Jaya LRT Station, I think.
You could fly down in the morning, get out to the ground in good time for lunch before the two games, and back up the same night, if you couldn't tear yourself away from the fleshpots and cricket ovals of Thailand.

Teams participating include (in descending seeded order) Malaysia Thailand Iran China

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy, 2012-05-29 14:20:59.

#65 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-06-01 07:31:34

Surely you must be itching with feverish anticipation at the climax - on Saturday - of the Asian Division Two rugby. Today, India play Guam for promotion from Division Three, while in a World Cup Preliminary Qualifying Match Thailand will meet hosts Malaysia at the Kelana Jaya Stadium; 1630, Saturday 2nd June.

SC

#66 meatboy

meatboy

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 2012-06-02 07:03:49

today sat.wales vs barbarians at the millenuim cardiff its a sell out should be a spectacle shane williams final game.

#67 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-06-02 14:19:14

today sat.wales vs barbarians at the millenuim cardiff its a sell out should be a spectacle shane williams final game.

I'm off shortly to the stadium - I'll see you all down there. lads/

Yesterday, India secured their promotion to Division 2 - or, in a slightly unusual twist, Division 1 if they beat the Division 2 champions in a world-cup qualifying play-off. But focus on today - Malaysia Thailand at the Kelana Jaya Stadium, 1630 kick-off.

SC

#68 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-06-02 19:14:55

Well, what a cracking game of rugby that was! I'm surprised I didn't see more of you there - it really was quite a partisan crowd.

In a pretty error-strewn first half, Thailand went in for oranges 12-6 ahead. However, Malaysia had a couple of pacific islanders in their team who looked particularly dangerous with ball in hand. And a few moments into the first half, their big left winger took a run from within his own 22, tackles falling off him like VCRs off the back of a lorry (showing my age a bit there!). He was finally hauled down beyond the Thai ten-metre line, and some quick handling out of the ruck saw Malaysia go over to take the lead for the first time.

It looked like the home side had it in the bag - Thailand rarely threatened their opponent's try line... until a long kick bobbled about in front of the posts; the winger gathered, passed to the fullback; with his opposite number thundering down on him (scarcely thunder really; the Thai full back was not the most intimidating of men) - the clearance was charged down, the Thai fullback followed through to ground the ball and take Thailand back into the lead.

Again the left winger broke down the touch line; and again he was pulled down just short. Sustained pressure from Malaysia saw one of their islanders go over for a second try - or it would have been, had he not been held up. And again Malaysia drove, their size letting them punch through the Thai defence and again they crossed the Thai try line - to lose the ball in a last-gasp tackle. The Thai scrum was creaking under the pressure, but they managed to hold onto possession... a penalty to the defence, a quick check with the referee to see if the pubs would be open yet... and the ball was hoofed into touch to see Thailand victorious 22 - 19 over their hosts.

The earlier game was a bit one-sided, with China on the receiving end of a bit of a pummelling from Iran. I only caught the last few minutes.

And the Carlsberg ladies were particularly lovely

SC

I'm not entirely sure the above is entirely factually correct, as I'm working from memory...
SC

#69 David48

David48

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 2012-06-02 19:22:53

Cough ... was there any commentary about the Women's Rugby Sevens competition recently in Amsterdam?

The Qantas Women’s Sevens have defeated host side Netherlands 18-14 to claim third place at the Amsterdam Sevens

http://www.rugby.com...13/Default.aspx

#70 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-06-02 20:03:02

Cough ... was there any commentary about the Women's Rugby Sevens competition recently in Amsterdam?

The Qantas Women’s Sevens have defeated host side Netherlands 18-14 to claim third place at the Amsterdam Sevens

http://www.rugby.com...13/Default.aspx

I'd struggle to make it to the game...
They had a Ladies' Sevens match in the orange-break this afternoon - just a local exhibition game
Thailand's ladies sevens team is quite accomplished.
You may recall they were bronze medallists at the 2010 Asian Games; and I think they qualified for the Womens' Sevens World Cup in Dubai, though I couldn't confirm that in my five-minute research bid.

Anyway, I've just heard the last call to prayers for the day, so the Imam will be down in the pub in a moment. I think I'll go down for some bangers and mash, then pop into the seven-eleven exotic bird shop for a brace of two-cans in readiness for the Warrington - Hull KR game on the wireless (apologies in advance for the off-topic digression)

SC

#71 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-06-03 16:55:47

Here's the highlights from yesterday's game

SC

#72 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-06-27 07:27:23

As usual, i'm surprised none of our fellows who live on that side of the country have seen fit to go down to Phnomh Penh for this week's rugby action
http://asian5nations.com/node/680

I draw your attention to the last line, which surely will be an unmissable attraction for many of our Isaan posters
"All matches will be played in Phnom Penh at the RCAF Stadium on Street 70. Entrance to all of the games is free"

SC

#73 David48

David48

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 2012-06-27 10:28:11

Just so you don't feel alone ...
Attached File  logo_thailand.gif   3.84KB   1 downloads
Thailand
A team with pace and plenty of zest, Thailand will be keen to return to Division One for the first time since 2009.
The Thai Rugby Union was one of the founding unions of the Asian Rugby Football Union in 1968 and has a long and colourful rugby tradition. This history was extended in 2008 when the brave Thais became the first team to win promotion in A5N history when they topped Division II.
They will face a tough test against Iran who will be very physical. If they get past this hurdle, the Thais will come up against the winners of the other semi-final between Malaysia and China in the final.
Source

#74 StreetCowboy

StreetCowboy

Country Member

• Advanced Members
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 2012-06-27 10:35:28

Just so you don't feel alone ...
Attached File  logo_thailand.gif   3.84KB   1 downloads
Thailand
A team with pace and plenty of zest, Thailand will be keen to return to Division One for the first time since 2009.
The Thai Rugby Union was one of the founding unions of the Asian Rugby Football Union in 1968 and has a long and colourful rugby tradition. This history was extended in 2008 when the brave Thais became the first team to win promotion in A5N history when they topped Division II.
They will face a tough test against Iran who will be very physical. If they get past this hurdle, the Thais will come up against the winners of the other semi-final between Malaysia and China in the final.
Source

After their triumph in Malaysia, I'm sure we're all eagerly anticipating the game against Division II champions India. I don't know where or when that is going to be held...

SC

#75 QED

QED

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 2012-06-27 10:36:31

A little off topic, but I know a lot of rugby fans also enjoy a bit of Aussie Rules. Thailand play Laos at the Thai Polo Club near Maprachan Lake, Pattaya, this Saturday at 1-30pm ko. Might be an interesting afternoon for anyone local.

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: