Jump to content




View New Content Help  
Photo
- - - - -

Watermelon - Can It Really Make You Sick?


5 replies to this topic

#1 lalinda

lalinda

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 2010-07-12 12:28:45

Hi there,<div><br></div><div>My Thai husband has always asked me not to buy watermelon for our son who is four. He never fully explained why, but I have always assumed he thought it was pumped with too many chemicals. This weekend my son has been so ill with gastritis (infection of stomach lining) and now gastroenteritis (infection of intestine) and when I told the doctor what he ate on Friday he singled out the watermelon and said that might well be the culprit. He couldn't really explain it either so this is v confusing?!&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>The watermelon was cut...so I guess it could have been spoiled or in contact with bacteria...but I get the impression from the doctor and my husband that there is something in Thai watermelons that isn't good?</div><div><br></div><div>Any comments or ideas would be much appreciated.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>L</div>

#2 FBN

FBN

    Super Member

  • Local Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 2010-07-12 12:37:42

Watermelon is very prone to cause some stomach upset if exposed to heat for a period of time after preparing it; due to the high water and sugar levels, it forms a very good substance for bacterial growth under these circumstances.
Should always be chilled and not eaten if it appears wilted.

#3 lalinda

lalinda

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 2010-07-12 12:56:22

Watermelon is very prone to cause some stomach upset if exposed to heat for a period of time after preparing it; due to the high water and sugar levels, it forms a very good substance for bacterial growth under these circumstances.
Should always be chilled and not eaten if it appears wilted.


Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.

#4 TheWalkingMan

TheWalkingMan

    Errant Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 2010-07-12 13:16:09

Could your son be allergic to watermelon? When I was a kid and ate watermelon, I always had an upset stomach unless I put salt on it. Sounds strange but that was the only way I could eat watermelon without problems. These days I do not have any problems so maybe it was something I grew out of.


TheWalkingMan

#5 lopburi3

lopburi3

    Star Member

  • Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,647 posts

Posted 2010-07-12 16:33:32

There used to be an additional issue with watermelon, which I hope is no longer a factor. It is sold by weight and many years ago some people would insert water (this was before bottled water was common) into melons to increase revenue. I have not seen reports of this for several decades so expect it is a thing of the past.

These days it seems to be melamine in milk (and who knows what else). Buyer beware takes a whole new meaning.

#6 mommysboy

mommysboy

    Platinum Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 2010-07-12 21:26:45

Like any other food it's the conditions under which it has been kept, if it's come in to contact with contaminated water yes that will cause infection with whatever was in the water. I would never buy pre-cut fruit off the street either. Yes I believe that some fruit when exposed to air borne bacteria, and lying around long enough may also be infected. Big shock to me when I first found out too. Basically the temperature in Thailand is ideal for bacteria to multiply.

It sounds like classic food poisoning to me- very nasty, but he'll recover soon.







Sponsored by:

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: