9 replies to this topic

#1 balo

balo

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 2010-08-16 22:13:51

I have just bought a Nokia C5 and it comes with free GPS 3D maps from OVI you can download any map you want .

I have tested it in the Bangkok traffic and I'm very happy with it. Only 6000 baht for the phone.

Check it out:

http://maps.nokia.co...s/ovi-maps-main

#2 geoffphuket

geoffphuket

Infinity and beyond member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 2010-08-16 22:46:03

Maybe it's me, but I can't see a C5 model on the link you gave?

#3 balo

balo

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 2010-08-17 17:44:58

Maybe it's me, but I can't see a C5 model on the link you gave?

Sorry the link was for the maps, they are free for all the nokia smartphone models.

Nokia C5 :

http://www.siamphone...kia/c5/page.htm

http://europe.nokia....ces/nokia-c5-00

#4 aidenai

aidenai

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 2010-08-18 15:33:36

I have just bought a Nokia C5 and it comes with free GPS 3D maps from OVI you can download any map you want .

I have tested it in the Bangkok traffic and I'm very happy with it. Only 6000 baht for the phone.

You should try Garmin Mobile XT with Thailand Street Maps V10 or V10.1. Soooooooo much better than OVI.

#5 ihightower

ihightower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 2010-08-20 10:58:19

So, I don't need a data plan subscription to use the OVI maps and get directions right?

Please advise.

#6 aidenai

aidenai

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 2010-08-20 13:50:06

So, I don't need a data plan subscription to use the OVI maps and get directions right?

Please advise.

Correct. You don't need a data plan for using OVI GPS or any GPS software and maps. i.e. OVI, TomTom, Garmin, Sygic, et cetera.

Mobile phones can be set to A-GPS though. In that case the mobile phone calls your service provider when starting up your GPS software to lock fast on satellites. My Nokia E71 locks with A-GPS within 15 seconds. Without it can take up to 3 minutes.

#7 InSiSongkram

InSiSongkram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 2011-04-02 15:40:33

Guys,

Can you just confirm the Garmin Mobile XT with Thailand Street Maps works on the C5-03 is it free or paid and you dont have to be connected to the Internet to use it right?

Thank you.

#8 jamiesensei

jamiesensei

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 2011-04-09 09:29:02

Can you just confirm the Garmin Mobile XT with Thailand Street Maps works on the C5-03 is it free or paid and you dont have to be connected to the Internet to use it right?

Hi,

I have been using Garmin Mobile XT on my Nokia N97. It works pretty well although development of Mobile XT seems to have stopped sometime before the N97 came out. The app freezes when trying to browse the map using the touch interface. But it is still usable. I wonder if it will work at all with some of the new phones. Nokia I believe is using a new OS on some of it's new phones and there may be some glitches with backwards compatibility I expect for some older apps.

I think the ESRI map you can use with the Garmin software is the best available of Thailand. And there is no internet connection required to use the maps. The Garmin software is not free though. Although you may be able to find it available for free through certain illegal download web sites.

Has anyone had experience of it working with the latest Nokias?

Jamie

#9 InSiSongkram

InSiSongkram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 2011-04-09 09:36:31

Thanks for that info I just did a search on the above and came up with the following which might be more up to date as its from Tuesday, 21 September 2010...

ESRI Thailand changes Garmin GPS map name

ESRI (Thailand) has announced that they made official change to the name of the digital map provided for Garmin GPS devices in Thailand, known as ESRI Map into CDG Map.

http://www.eaglegps....es-the-map-name

#10 InSiSongkram

InSiSongkram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 2011-04-10 15:03:32

I can confirm this works on the C5-03 with the following map version Thailand Streetmap Eng NT V11.00 + JCV

Sponsored By:

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: