161 replies to this topic

#1 Arjuna93

Arjuna93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 2010-11-21 01:51:03

Need some GPS app – preferably free one – with Thailand maps for Android 2.1 (Motorola Milestone) – any suggestion?

#2 kuripot

kuripot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 2010-11-21 13:14:56

I have Sygic AURA for Android loaded onto a ZTE Blade which works fine. The official site is Sygic Aura and it is around €80 but it can also be found on applanet which is an alternative android store! The download will require a broadband link as it is around 500mb in total. Tomtom also released a Thailand map recently although not for Android.

#3 Digitalbanana

Digitalbanana

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 2010-11-23 13:49:52

I haven't used it but wasn't Google Maps for android supposed to fill this requirement? I heard it was didn't consume ISP time and offered navigation turn by turn?

#4 Arjuna93

Arjuna93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 2010-11-23 15:21:49

I haven't used it but wasn't Google Maps for android supposed to fill this requirement? I heard it was didn't consume ISP time and offered navigation turn by turn?

Yes, if U don't mind paying for every map being downloaded. Mobile internet isn't unlimited here.

#5 Khun Jean

Khun Jean

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 2010-11-23 17:52:29

Yes, if U don't mind paying for every map being downloaded. Mobile internet isn't unlimited here.

it isn't?
I wonder what i used the last 4 years? AIS unlimited 500 bath a month (now 600 i think)

#6 Tywais

Tywais

Star Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,746 posts

Posted 2010-11-23 18:03:52

it isn't?
I wonder what i used the last 4 years? AIS unlimited 500 bath a month (now 600 i think)

Was wondering the same. DTAC unlimited for a little more then AIS.

#7 Digitalbanana

Digitalbanana

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 2010-11-24 12:46:46

I'm reading Google Maps Navigation isn't available everywhere and you do need unlimited mobile net access, which is available in Thailand for Google Maps at least.

Only other Android product I've heard of in Ndrive that offers 7 day free trial and down-loadable map file for all Thailand.

#8 Puccini

Puccini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 2010-11-25 00:07:01

DTAC's unlimited plan currently is 790 Baht per month: vas.dtac.co.th/en/communication_p4.htm

Who has experience with it? Is the connection fast enough to handle the continuous map refreshment?

#9 Digitalbanana

Digitalbanana

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 2010-11-25 13:20:08

It's EDGE in most places and generally faster outside Bangkok where traffic is lower. I have found just about acceptable for maps like Google, but prefer to use non internet based Garmin myself - though that doesn't do Android.

#10 Arjuna93

Arjuna93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 2010-11-25 17:24:17

it isn't?

Was wondering the same. DTAC unlimited for a little more then AIS.

Didn't know this, perhaps then would be the best option, thanks.

#11 jamiesensei

jamiesensei

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 2010-11-28 19:33:28

Am wondering about 'Locations' which will be available on the new HTC Android devices the Desire Z and the Desire HD. Apparently they are using the TomTom maps and there is apparently a TomTom map for Thailand. The Desire HD with a beautiful 4.3" screen will be available in AIS stores from Tuesday for around 22,000 B. Wonder if they will have the TomTom maps and what the quality will be like.

Edited by jamiesensei, 2010-11-28 19:40:24.

#12 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • 23,632 posts

Posted 2010-11-28 21:35:32

Isn't Google Maps using Tele Atlas? I doubt that Tom Tom have their own maps. They must be using the maps of a third party and built their GUI on top of it.

#13 Crushdepth

Crushdepth

Reactionary Yellow Fascist Bully Boy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,768 posts

Posted 2010-11-28 21:56:23

Try Maveric - offers a choice of maps (including Google maps / satellite / hybrids), lat/long, accuracy, set waypoints, record tracks, bearings, range to target, speed. Very nice. A couple of bucks. I think there is a trial version.

Edited by Maestro, 2010-11-29 02:35:52.

#14 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • 23,632 posts

Posted 2010-11-29 02:32:48

I stand corrected. In July 2007 TomTom bought Tele Atlas and thus they do have their own maps.

HTC and TomTom: www.electronista.com/articles/10/10/20/htc.smartphones.to.ship.with.tomtom.maps.app/

#15 jamiesensei

jamiesensei

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 2010-11-29 10:31:38

Maverick looks pretty cool. Possibly usable for hiking too as maps are cached for offline use. Presumably you can load in trails such as the ones we share on our Chiang Mai Hiking web site http://cmhike.com

A friend of mine is going to pick up a HTC Desire HD when they come out on Tuesday. Am looking forward to taking a look.

Edited by jamiesensei, 2010-11-29 10:32:10.

#16 benderheader

benderheader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 2011-01-06 19:30:48

I'm using an app called sygic mobile maps 10 for Froyo on the HTC legend. the dealer installed it for free. it has turn by turn voice navigation in English and Thai. the maps are excellent. UI is a clunky and you'll need to play around with it a lot to start using it efficiently. of all the GPS apps I've tried in Thailand, this is the best hands down -- probably until Google Navigation is available here (note that Google Maps work just fine here as do directions but not yet voice nav).

whichever app you decide to go with, be sure to also use GPS Status, a free app from the Market. it will download apgs updates and clear up your cache so you connect to a GPS satellite fast....

#17 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • 23,632 posts

Posted 2011-01-09 18:37:40

I'm using an app called sygic mobile maps 10 for Froyo on the HTC legend. the dealer installed it for free. it has turn by turn voice navigation in English and Thai...

I am in Thailand at the moment with my HTC Desire, bought in Switzerland, running on Android 2.2x (which I understand is code-named Froyo). Where do you suggest I could go in Bangkok to buy Sygic and have it installed?

#18 benderheader

benderheader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 2011-01-11 12:59:36

I'm using an app called sygic mobile maps 10 for Froyo on the HTC legend. the dealer installed it for free. it has turn by turn voice navigation in English and Thai...

I am in Thailand at the moment with my HTC Desire, bought in Switzerland, running on Android 2.2x (which I understand is code-named Froyo). Where do you suggest I could go in Bangkok to buy Sygic and have it installed?

Try any of the HTC dealers. Mbk for example. Or send me a pm.

#19 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • 23,632 posts

Posted 2011-01-13 23:18:14

Thanks. I'll be in MBK again one of these days and shall look around.

#20 PaulHamon

PaulHamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 2011-01-18 13:37:27

I had some on my phone when I purchased my HTC Desire, but it was running 2.1 and I needed the memory, now with 2.2 I hoping to put something on my sd card but i cannot remember what i was called... :/ where should i be looking?

#21 Superskunk

Superskunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 2011-02-17 05:50:35

Here is a free navigation software for Android phones:
http://wiki.navit-pr...avit_on_Android

You can donwload every map you´ll need here:
http://maps3.navit-project.org/

I just installed it, so I dont know how it works. But the screens looking good: http://wiki.navit-pr...x.php/Main_Page

#22 Digitalbanana

Digitalbanana

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 2011-02-22 11:26:47

Just tried navit for WM phone and it's useless - will not even run or display program correctly. Hope the Android version is better?

#23 McGee

McGee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 2011-04-14 12:20:52

I bought the "Sygic Mobile Maps for iPhone - Southeast Asia" for my Iphone 4. Absolutely frigging useless unless you want to use it for driving around the Block. trying to use it for Navigation Purpose and Distances of more that 35km gives you an Error message that the Points are too far from each other to be navigated.

#24 InterestedObserver

InterestedObserver

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 2011-04-14 13:46:01

I bought the "Sygic Mobile Maps for iPhone - Southeast Asia" for my Iphone 4. Absolutely frigging useless unless you want to use it for driving around the Block. trying to use it for Navigation Purpose and Distances of more that 35km gives you an Error message that the Points are too far from each other to be navigated.

Alexander Graham Bell is turning over in his grave at the indignity of it all. If you want a GPS then purchase a proper one.

#25 Maestro

Maestro

Star Member

• Admin
  • 23,632 posts

Posted 2011-04-15 02:25:20

Here is a free navigation software for Android phones:
http://wiki.navit-pr...avit_on_Android

You can donwload every map you´ll need here:
http://maps3.navit-project.org/

I just installed it, so I dont know how it works. But the screens looking good: http://wiki.navit-pr...x.php/Main_Page

I'm going to test it with the map for Italy, if there is one.

Sponsored By:

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: