31 workers injured in gas explosion
By The Nation
Thirty-one workers were injured when a bio-gas pipe of a tapioca factory exploded, causing massive fire that engulfed them.
Police said the accident at the Chaiyaphum Starch Co Ltd the happened at 4:30 pm Friday.
A factory engineer told police that the explosion was caused by sparks from wild grasses burning that were flown to the bio-gas pipe.
Police said 18 workers were severely injured in the fire and were rushed to the Maharaj Hospital in Nakhon Ratchasima. The remaining injured workers were being treated at the Chaiyaphum Hospital.
The tapioca factory used bio-gas, which was made from cassava wastes, to generate electricity for using in the factory.
Over 100 workers were working in two plant buildings. The fireball caused by the gas explosion engulfed the first factory very fast and caused some 30 workers to suffer severe burns.
The massive fire caused the first factory's roof to partially collapse.
Some 20 fire engines took over two hours to control the fire.
Officials said the fire caused some Bt20 million worth of damages.
-- The Nation 2011-02-26