Jump to content

View New Content Help  
- - - - -

Steps To Being A Teacher?

5 replies to this topic

#1 raeme



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 2011-03-07 02:20:28

Hi, sorry to make this my first post but..

I want to know what are the odds of me getting a job in Thailand, Chiang Mai. I am interested in provinces like Chomthong, and/or Karen hilltribes.
I was initially planning to teach English to primary or kindergarden schools, but the growing demand for Chinese teachers got me interested. So anyway, I can speak English, Chinese and Karen(Pgaz K'Nyau).
I can't speak Thai but wishes to take up a Thai language course.
I am a Singaporean Chinese-Thai, highest qualification: GCE O'Levels'. I'm currently taking my diploma, but I have zero interest and no wish to continue in interior design.
I'm also giving English Language tuition, does that counts for experience?

From what I've researched on, one should have a degree? Can I just take a TEFL, and get a teaching job?
I'm not really interested in the pay or what so ever(High pay is a bonus, of course). I just want to be nearer to my relatives in Chomthong.

Oh, and I'm turning 20 this year.
PS/ I don't know how my photo got displayed there. But it was taken when I'm 16 years old, don't judge me. :)

Edited by raeme, 2011-03-07 02:26:58.

#2 Scott


    Star Member

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,413 posts

Posted 2011-03-07 06:30:38

Do you have Thai citizenship? If so, then you do not need a work permit and the visa hassle is of little concern.

Step one: Find a school that is interested in hiring you and ask them about the requirements. Generally, you will need to have the same qualifications as a Thai Teacher, which means a degree, but there are schools who simply hire Thai nationals who are from overseas and ignore the regulations. The legality of this is questionable, but it has been done.

The other option is check with NGO's in the area that help hill-tribe people. They may have special programs.

Perhaps some of our CM posters will be along to assist you.

#3 raeme



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 2011-03-07 10:23:16

No, I don't have Thai citizenship, I hold a Singaporean citizenship.
Can I get a PR based on family relations, without

1. An applicant must have received permission for yearly stays in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa for at least of three years prior to the submission of an application for permanent residency. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 un-broken yearly extensions in order to qualify.

Do I have to personally go down to schools and ask about the requirements? I don't want to work illegally per se, so I can still work legally judging from my highest qualification?

I will check with NGOs in the area if they can guide me.
Thanks for your advice. :)

Edited by raeme, 2011-03-07 10:28:10.

#4 aidenai


    Super Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 2011-03-07 15:11:10

No, I don't have Thai citizenship, I hold a Singaporean citizenship.
Can I get a PR based on family relations, without

44 pages of information here: http://www.thaivisa....idence-process/

#5 raeme



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 2011-03-08 12:36:48

Thank you.

Anyway, can I teach Primary school english if i have just an O Level certificate?

#6 Arkady


    Titanium Member

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 2011-03-08 17:21:27

I don't think you are going to be able work legally as a teacher at primary school or any other level in Thailand without a degree and a teaching certificate.

You haven't explained your family connection in Chomthong District but, if one of your parents is a Thai citizen or was a Thai citizen when you were born, you are entitled to Thai nationality. This could make a big difference to your situation. With a Thai ID card, no one is going to care if you are working as an assistant teacher or helping out with English conversation. You could even be employed as an admin assistant as camouflage.

Getting PR has become virtually impossible in recent years. No applications were accepted in 2010 and only 7 PRs have been approved since 2006. If they ever open again for applications you will need to have been working on a work permit for three complete tax years earning a salary of at least B80,000 a month, just to get them to accept your application with no guarantee it would ever be processed. It is not recommended to apply, unless you are a bit older and established in a career earning more than the minimum. Educational qualifications are considered (masters degree or PhD preferred) and you also need enough spoken Thai to pass an interview with a panel of senior Immigration officers. The family connections won't make any difference, I am afraid, if you don't meet the other criteria. However, there is one important exception. If you have ever been a Thai citizen and renounced Thai nationality (e.g. to get Singaporean nationality) you are entitled to Thai PR through a fast track process without other qualifications.

Whether you can get a Thai ID card or not, taking a few months off is OK but you are strongly advised to get yourself a degree in something or other (and a recognized teaching certificate, if you really want to teach). Having no qualifications is fine if you are a talented businessman like Bill Gates but the rest of us need paper credentials to help us achieve what we want in life. If you don't like your current course of study and can't you yourself working in that field, you should do some serious soul searching to find what you really want to do and set yourself goals to get the qualifications you will need for that. A couple of years spent repositioning yourself to do something you like will pay lifetime dividends. Good luck.

Edited by Arkady, 2011-03-08 17:36:25.

Sponsored by...
Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: