RamdomChances

Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

973 posts in this topic

I need a Thai equivalent of the sarcastic question: Did you grow up in a barn?

I need this to shame all the people I see littering here.

Any help appreciated.A bit late on this, but someone asked about "born in a barn" thing. It might be this: มึงเกิดในโรงหมูหรือวะ "were you born in a pig sty?" or มึงถูกเลี้ยงดูมาโดยควายหรือวะ Were you raised by buffalo???

this is very violent lol

1 person likes this

My daughter often mildly teases me which leads to a play fight which she loves. I'd like a phrase similar to " Don't push it" or "Don't push your luck" when she's teasing me to give her a fit of giggles in anticipation of what's to come.

My daughter often mildly teases me which leads to a play fight which she loves. I'd like a phrase similar to " Don't push it" or "Don't push your luck" when she's teasing me to give her a fit of giggles in anticipation of what's to come.

You can just say อย่าทำ(don't do it), อย่าหวัง(don't hope) in normal tone (not funny though) I don't want to teach anything else I don't know if she will be angry with my phases We would say many things but with our different tones if you say it wrong your daughter will be angry at you อย่าหวังว่าจะเล่นด้วย, ไม่เล่น, etc Please don't use if you don't know the outcome Thais fight each other because something like this...

1 person likes this

As a kid here, I was often warned, อย่าดึงเชือกเกินไป - yaa dunng chuak gernpai

It means "don't pull the rope too much."

"Luke kai nai kam mue"(ลูกไก่ในกำมือ), "nai kam mue" (ในกำมือ) = "in the palm of one's hand"

Just learned this one:

ทำใจ ร่มๆ = calm down [make heart shade shade]

Back when the "war on drugs" was going on we where at the local market and a car pulled up and shot two people allegedly involved in drugs, apparently this was carried out by the police.

Anyway, my friend turns to me and says " shuak gai hi ling do" basicly

"Cut the chickens throat and let the monkeys watch"

ie They were being made an examlpe of.

Anyone esle know any thai sayings and their meanings?

Cheers

I was told the other day that....

Naa neu jai suar young tur (face, body, heart of the tiger) from the bird+seksun song meant "she is 2 faced".

I then asked what does "Tur naa song" mean and he said "2 faced".

anyone confirm this?

On 6/17/2016 at 10:16 AM, raojai said:

หน้าเนื้อใจเสืออย่างเธอ   na neua  jai seua   I think means look kind but actually be a nasty person whilst I thought   ter  na song should be the other way round to be two- faced เธอสองหน้า ter song na  

Wouldn't  ter na song be more likely to mean second hand face following the meaning of meu song  มือสอง second hand ?  But I suppose second hand face could only apply to someone who had had cosmetic surgery!

A couple of sayings-   the first one could apply to teachers in Prathom classes at times จับปูใส่กระพ้ง  -catch crabs and put them in a winnowing basket- those baskets are large and shallow so the effect is predictable- crabs zigzagging everywhere- in other words the kids are naughty and out of control.

ฆ่าควายเสียดายเกลือ- kill the buffalo and be stingy on the salt (so the meat rots) - to undertake a big investment  but not invest fully, to do things in half measures, ie build a new restaurant, decorate it but employ a  mediocre chef. 

So it should be ฆ่าควายอย่าเสียดายเกลือ- don't do things in half measures

1 person likes this

Can you say 'Cup' as a short 'hello' (like hi) and as a short 'thank you', and 'please', 'you're welcome'...?

On 9/14/2016 at 4:04 AM, mouse999 said:

gin naam dai sok  

กินน้ำใต้ศอก to drink water under the elbow, meaning having to accept you're second fiddle, ie a mistress not the wife.I read the origin comes from someone drinking water with cupped hands whilst a second person too thirsty to wait gulps the water running off the elbows of the first person! 

On 8/27/2016 at 3:59 PM, 2HughTaylor said:

Can you say 'Cup' as a short 'hello' (like hi) and as a short 'thank you', and 'please', 'you're welcome'...?

I always just 'cup' for saying thanks.

there's a lot of Thai television celebrities/presenters, who whilst paid a lot, seem only to ever say Khrup. Ka, or Na khrap,

although you won't often hear Na Ka (hope someone from Queensland doesn't try to say it, due to their accent!)

The Khrup/Ka are simple (lazy) ways for someone to agree with what's just been said to them.

The highly paid Show Hosts etc, get away with those so-few terms, for use in answering cr responding to everything said by other presenters

1 person likes this

On 9/15/2016 at 6:27 AM, bannork said:

กินน้ำใต้ศอก to drink water under the elbow, meaning having to accept you're second fiddle, ie a mistress not the wife.I read the origin comes from someone drinking water with cupped hands whilst a second person too thirsty to wait gulps the water running off the elbows of the first person! 

Sort of like we say "sucking hind tit" in rural USA?

1 person likes this

On 10/19/2016 at 2:05 AM, Damrongsak said:

Sort of like we say "sucking hind tit" in rural USA?

i wouldn't know about that Damrongsak as am jus a country boy from little ole UK but it sure sounds right. 

always a bridesmaid , never the bride is another phrase that comes to mind. Always taking a submissive or second place.

Here's a different one หน้าม้า literally the face of a horse, meaning a rented crowd/audience as in a game show where the audience is paid and told when to clap, react etc.

It can also mean like a decoy but that may not be the correct word, hopefully someone will come along and provide it-  as in a situation where one member of a cheating card gang pretends to be an innocent outsider playing .The gang let him win,  witless others see and join in, thinking they can imitate the winner, of course they lose all their money.

The UK post Brexit. Friendless and weak  หัวเดียวกระเทียมลีบ 

ลีบ means withered, blighted, atrophied so all you have is a garlic bulb with atrophied, blighted cloves. 

It's worthless and alone. Without company or friends for support you are weak and vulnerable.

In a similar vein- คนเดียวหัวหาย สองคนเพื่อนตาย สามคนกลับบ้านได้

Not sure if this is the right place to pose this question, but is there any sort of Thai saying/translation for "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"?

The reason I ask is that I have heard from so many Thai friends who want to move to the USA and work as they all believe that the streets are paved with gold and that life will be easy for them there.

ID: 970   Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

Not sure if this is the right place to pose this question, but is there any sort of Thai saying/translation for "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"?

The reason I ask is that I have heard from so many Thai friends who want to move to the USA and work as they all believe that the streets are paved with gold and that life will be easy for them there.

อย่าเห็นขี้ดีกว่าไส้

yaa hen khee dee gwaa sai

Edited by onthesoi
2 people like this

19 hours ago, onthesoi said:

อย่าเห็นขี้ดีกว่าไส้

Cool...thanks!

On 2/5/2017 at 3:42 PM, onthesoi said:

อย่าเห็นขี้ดีกว่าไส้

Took me a minute to understand that one. 

To stick to one's story, to deny an accusation, to insist one has not done anything wrong-(ยืน) กระต่ายขาเดียว (ปฎิเสธ)

I'm not sure what a one-legged or a standing on one-leg-rabbit has got to do with it.