RamdomChances

Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

973 posts in this topic

Still no response to my request for an idiom equivalent to 'splitting hairs'.

Yours, bannork.

Hi Bannork,

Maybe you could use one of these three expressions for the English "splitting hairs"? :D

1.โต้เถียงเรื่องไร้สาระ "dto-te-ang reu-ang rai saa-ra"=argue about nonsense matters

2.พยายามจับผิด "pa-yaa-yaam jup pid"=trying to find faults;nit-picking;niggling

3.หาข้อผิดพลาดเล็กๆ น้อยๆ "haa koh pid plaad lek lek noi noi"=petti-foggery

I don't think "splitting hairs" should be applied in the case of "appropriately" vs "accordingly"though! :D

By the way,did you get it before when I showed you this example? :o

If for some reason you were told to dress "inappropriately"by an authority which you respect,then you should dress "accordingly",shouldn't you?  :D

(e.g civil disobedience)

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

how about 'khai dit tang, nom dit lang'? :o

can you guess the meaning from the transliteration? it's thai bloke talk for those occasions when the bloke's on the front of the motorbike with the girl behind.

my bf taught me this one.

how about 'khai dit tang, nom dit lang'? :D

can you guess the meaning from the transliteration?  it's thai bloke talk for those occasions when the bloke's on the front of the motorbike with the girl behind.

my bf taught me this one.

I've never heard that one but I'd guess it might be written like this in Thai ไก่ทิศทางนมติดหลัง :o

I leave the interpretation to somebody else because I've got a theory re the meaning;and,if I'm correct, then it isn't a very polite expression to share with a lady. :D

Is he still your bf? :D

Snowleopard

ไก่ทิศทางนมติดหลัง

Hi Snow Leopard,

I was thinking more likely to be balls than chickens. If I may, at the risk of offending, have an attempt at translation: " the testicles are stuck to the tank and the tits are stuck to the back."

Cheers,

Scouse.

ไก่ทิศทางนมติดหลัง

Hi Snow Leopard,

I was thinking more likely to be balls than chickens. If I may, at the risk of offending, have an attempt at translation: " the testicles are stuck to the tank and the tits are stuck to the back."

Cheers,

Scouse.

Hello Scouse,

Could you please write that sentence in Thai? :D (ไข่ ??)

I thought it was the slang term ไก่ "gai" that was meant rather than the real poultry itself! :o

I could be wrong and it might be something else altogether! :D

Have you ever heard that expression?

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Hi Snow Leopard,

ไข่ติดถังนมติดหลัง

I've not heard the phrase before and this is my interpretation of the Roman script provided by Jennscoot. Perhaps it's just my dirty mind. :o

Scouse.

Hi Snow Leopard,

ไข่ติดถังนมติดหลัง

I've not heard the phrase before and this is my interpretation of the Roman script provided by Jennscoot. Perhaps it's just my dirty mind. :D

Scouse.

Hi Scouse,

Thanks for writing it down in Thai. :D I thought it was that one you meant so it is good to get it confirmed in civilized script.

Supposing your translation is correct,what does it really mean? :o

Why do they use this idiom?

Beats me! :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Supposing your translation is correct,what does it really mean?

Why do they use this idiom?

Beats me too. I think it's one to research with a Thai. I can't convey any other meaning to it other than, "Look, there's a bloke riding a bike with his bird on the back."

ไก่ทิศทางนมติดหลัง

Can I surmise that "ไก่" has a foul as well as fowl meaning? If so, spill the beans. Solely in the interests of furthering my education, you understand. :o

Scouse.

ahem, as most of you guessed, it translates literally to balls against the tank (of the bike), tits against the back (of the rider).

and, being gorgeous and charming, of course my bf shared it only within the context of the conversation and the girls present at that time loved it, thought it was hilarious. it's short, it rhymes, it's easy to remember!

khai, not kai.

Can I surmise that "ไก่" has a foul as well as fowl meaning? If so, spill the beans. Solely in the interests of furthering my education, you understand

Gai can also be slang for "easy women"

Hence the saying "bpai jap gai" go look for easy women.

Can I surmise that "ไก่" has a foul as well as fowl meaning? If so, spill the beans. Solely in the interests of furthering my education, you understand

Gai can also be slang for "easy women"

Hence the saying "bpai jap gai" go look for easy women.

You spilled the beans,Random! :o

Good on you. :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

ahem, as most of you guessed, it translates literally to balls against the tank (of the bike), tits against the back (of the rider). 

and, being gorgeous and charming, of course my bf shared it only within the context of the conversation and the girls present at that time loved it, thought it was hilarious. it's short, it rhymes, it's easy to remember!

khai, not kai.

khai, not kai.

ไก่ "khai"=chick

ไข่ "kai"=egg

What's your bf trying to say? :o

Snowleopard.

I guess he's saying he's feeling pretty darn good! I'll try it with the wife this afternoon, if she's never heard of it I'll claim I've just thought of it, thanks jennscoot! If you've got anymore, please keep us posted.

Snowleopard, thanks for your helpful suggestions for 'splitting hairs''and I acknowledge your 'civil disobedience' example perceptively showed a difference between the use of 'appropriately 'and 'accordingly'. This discussion about synonyms made me realise the whole area of synonyms is a potential minefield, at least in English. For example, take the word', fat.'Now, thinking off the top of my head, words that could be synonyms may be: plump, podgy, stout, overweight, chubby, porky, thickset, etc, my point is how far from the standard can you go to still be a synonym?

Back to Thai sayings นั่งตบยุง nang dtob yoong, sitting down and swotting mosquitoes, ie doing sod all. I always see this used in reference to civil servants transferred to 'inactive posts', ie sidelined or demoted, often due to suspected corruption but I'm told anyone can use it to refer to idling the time away. For a long time I thought being transferred to an 'inactive post' was a blessing not a punishment until a Thai explained the inactive post offered no chance for bribes or corruption and so was a real loss, at least in financial terms.

Yours,

bannork.

ไก่ "khai"=chick

ไข่ "kai"=egg

ไก่กับไข่อะไรเกิดก่อนกัน khai gap kai arai gert gorn gun - which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Scouse.

ไก่ "khai"=chick

ไข่ "kai"=egg

ไก่กับไข่อะไรเกิดก่อนกัน khai gap kai arai gert gorn gun - which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Scouse.

which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Which came first now? :D Neither! :D

The rooster,himself,came first! :o

"Cock-a-doodle-dooooooo..oo"! :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

khai, not kai.

khai, not kai.
ไก่ "khai"=chick

ไข่ "kai"=egg

What's your bf trying to say? :o

Snowleopard.

Depending on which transcription system you use, it is

ไก่ "kai"=chick

ไข่ "khai"=egg

OR

ไก่ "gai"=chick

ไข่ "kai"=egg

The 'h' in "kh" is there to indicate the aspirated sound (puff of air) which occurs with 'khor khai' ข but not with 'kor kai' ก.

Some transcription systems use "k" for ข and "g" ก instead... but if you choose to use the pair "kh" and "k", you have to assign "kh" to ข and "k" to ก , otherwise it makes no sense at all.

In this case, "khai" means "testicle" not "egg".

ไก่ "kai"=chick

ไข่ "khai"=egg

OR

ไก่ "gai"=chick

ไข่ "kai"=egg

The 'h' in "kh" is there to indicate the aspirated sound (puff of air) which occurs with 'khor khai' ข but not with 'kor kai' ก.

The 'h' in "kh" is there to indicate the aspirated sound (puff of air)

When I think about it,you're actually right about that one!

Thanks for the insight. -_-

You're quite good at Romanized transliterations of Thai,I give you that! :(

In this case, "khai" means "testicle" not "egg".

Wow! :wub: Did you learn that from your mate C.W.? :D

Sweetball also means testicle now,doesn't it? :o (ลูกอัณฑะหวานหรือไข่หวาน "luk ahn-ta waan reu khai waan"? :D )

What happened to the pluralty and symmetry of the whole thing there,Sweet-nut? :D

The "ball" is in your corner now "Me-a-dish",and there you're cornered with your lone ball.(pun :D )

ไม่ต้องเสียใจนะครับ นอกจากเธอเอง คนที่มีชื่อเสียงดังหลายคนก็มีลูกอัณฑะแต่ข้างเดี่ยวเหมือนกัน ตัวอย่างเช่นอดอล์ฟ ฮิตเลอร์เป็นด้น

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

continuing with the theme of 'dit', i learned this tonight (let's see if i can remember it correctly):

'na baan dit maenam, lang na phukao, tua baan jamnong'

romanisation is not the best and i'm too lazy to check, but it means 'front of the house looks onto a river, back of the house to a mountain (auspicious according to feng shui), but the house is mortgaged'

for example, we booked a private room for dinner at fuji and were charged a fee for it when the bill came. one of the people at the table used the expression for 'good location but there's a catch'.

วันนี้ผมสั่นกระโปรก

Heheheheheheheheh!

Claire. :o

PS. The name makes it all the more difficult!

continuing with the theme of 'dit', i learned this tonight (let's see if i can remember it correctly):

'na baan dit maenam, lang na phukao, tua baan jamnong'

romanisation is not the best and i'm too lazy to check, but it means 'front of the house looks onto a  river, back of the house to a mountain (auspicious according to feng shui), but the house is mortgaged'

for example, we booked a private room for dinner at fuji and were charged a fee for it when the bill came.  one of the people at the table used the expression for 'good location but there's a catch'.

Hi Jennscoot, :D

I think I've heard that expression and it's written like this in Thai.

หน้าบ้านติดแม่น้ำ หลังบ้านเป็นภูเขา ตัวบ้านจำนอง

"naa baan dtit mae-nahm, lahng baan pben poo-kaow, dto-a baan jum-norng" :o

You've added some nice expression to this thread.Keep'em coming please! :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

วันนี้ผมสั่นกระโปรก

Heheheheheheheheh!

Claire. :D

PS. The name makes it all the more difficult!

วันนี้ผมสั่นกระโปรก

วันนี้มึงสั่นกระโปก :o _ So you're now a self-confessed "######", :D

or possibly even a "wankette"! :D

Sorry to dissapoint snowleaopard but you're a bit off the mark.

More than likely to mean: Today I did nothing. Hence Today I shook my B***s. :o

How would you say

"cut your/his dick and give to duck"

My gf thinks this is the funniest thing ever (I don't :o ) that's how she says it in English.

Usually accompanied with scizzor cutting finger actions.

How would you say

"cut your/his dick and give to duck"

My gf thinks this is the funniest thing ever (I don't  :D ) that's how she says it in English.

Usually accompanied with scizzor cutting finger actions.

Hi withnail, -_-

You could try saying it like this in Thai... ตัดกึ่นให้เป็ดกิน "dtut geun hai ped gin"! :o

Don't plant too many ideas into her head now cuz some lasses can display quite unpredictable behaviour once they've gone ballistic . :D

One Thai chick even "bobbitted" off a guy's member and sent it away on a Bangkok city tour by helium balloons! :wub: Off it flew to unknown destinations. :D

Nobody knows where it finally landed or whether the ducks eventually got to feast on that one. :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Don't worry I'm fully aware of the seriousness of the situation. I'm just thinking that perhaps people should start putting this in the phrase books even before sawadee khrup so all the farang males in Thailand can prepare themselves incase they ever hear it.

2 Things though, firstly any chance you could write the thai script again in a larger font, I'm just learning and find that far too small. Secondly geun, does that mean what I think it does or something else?