#26 bergen

bergen

Viking Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 2011-10-05 16:56:11

Good topic JT

I usually stay in this area when down to the sea, and like to see positive development! Did check out the bar area a couple of months ago, and will definitely have a closer look at the new restaurants at next visit. :D

#27 Jingthing

Jingthing

Member Schmember

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 2011-10-05 16:57:02

HUH? That menu is from Bali Breeze. They have mostly Indonesian food, some Dutch dishes for obvious colonial reasons, and yes a very few "international" favorites like Spaghetti Bolognaise. It is not an Italian restaurant! In my view, it would be daft to order spaghetti there.

The rice table prices are PER person.

#28 Swiss1960

Swiss1960

Devil & Angel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 2011-10-05 17:30:59

I have changed my holiday location from central Pattaya to Jomtien also two years ago. I normally stay in the Jomtien Beach Penthouse (Soi 9) where it is quiet and the beach mostly sees families.

And I agree that the Jomtien area has developped pretty well with shops, restauants etc... even have to say that the best restaurant I found in all Pattaya so far is Bruno's (Swiss chef... high quality of food and service... fantastic wines.... very high prices...) and down Thapphraya towards the beach, they have some nice bars like the country bars (just like the music there...)

My ex-GF opened two Thai massage shops there this year (no, NO sex, NO rebates for you guys... ;-) ) and tells me she has pretty much regulars who live in that area, therefore even in low tourist season, she's making good money with them, better than her shops in Central Pattaya

When time comes, my plan is definitely to find me a place around Jomtien... given it does'nt get worse in the next 2-3 years..

#29 hazelandhoward

hazelandhoward

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 2011-10-05 20:07:52

I have heard that this area is targeted as a new "Night Market" - the stall holders to take down their tables at midnight.

So will be a thriving investment for any Thai stall holder and Ex-pat bar owner.

I heard that too.
Like I said there is a mix.
Also in the area, a newish Italian restaurant that is quite decent, fresh pastas/pizzas/dinner plates (across from the Bali place) and just today noticed a new American food place called Bourbon Street (I doubt related to the famous Bangkok place) opening in the old Seafood Emporium location. It is quite clear to me this entire area is going to boom. This being greater Pattaya, of course it includes beer bars.

As others have mentioned there is a lower priced Indian place in the beer bar area and some old favorites like the Mr. Moo joint. Around the main market there are a lot more Thai style stalls opening. It seems like something new every week now.

One thing I am really liking so far is the really good mix and healthy balance of typical Thai food market places and expat/tourist attractions. Maybe you can say that about a lot of areas in town, but I am feeling something new and special beginning to happen in that area.

Hi Jingthing, can you give me a better idea where this area is please as we will be coming for our usual months holiday in november and quite like going down to Jomten for a change, although we can find our way round pretty good its difficult sometimes to know what roads and area's are called :jap:

Suggest you read the title of the post - perfect description

Yes i know but as i said it is not always obvious what roads are called there and where different areas are, anyway i was asking Jingthing !!!!

#30 Card

Card

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 2011-10-05 20:23:05

To be clear, my OP wasn't really about the topic of buying a residence in the area, pro or con. It was about an emerging neighborhood that is offering stuff not otherwise available in the city. Flooding? It's been a wet wet season. Did you see the flooding in Pattaya this year?

BTW, the name of the decent Italian owned restaurant that I suggested roughly across the street from Bali Breeze is La Merenda. It's a rustic little place, but charming, many Italian customers, and also sells Italian breads to go, etc. Dinner plates in the 200 range.

Bali Breeze is nice Went when it first opened. Must try La Merenda. The Pig and Whistle was nice as well for English food. The place is certainly livelier than it was a year ago. Which is good as not everyone likes going into Pattaya all the time.

Its great how people slate an area without actually living there. I'm in Jomtien Park Villas and I never hear a thing from the bars. We chose to stay in Jomtien because Pattaya didnt suit us but I dont go slating it . Each to there own.

Don't fully understand your post viz Pig and Whistle, but a branch of this has just opened in Jomtien, near the Jomtien Complex. Came across it a couple of days ago and thought it was a nice change. If u want to go to an up and coming place, then Jomtien Complex fills all the boxes for restaurants. Glad I bought in Jomtien now. The new Thappraya road has made a big difference and there's even a TOPS Express.

Edited by Card, 2011-10-05 20:25:24.

#31 Brunus

Brunus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 2011-10-06 15:12:49

After long time I didn't go to Jomtien I read this post and decided to go and check out the area. I am Italian and was interested in trying the Italian restaurant La Merenda (one of the few things I miss of my country is the food). Once there I noticed a place called Eataly. It is at the corner between soi 5 and Jomtien 2nd road, between a 7/11 and a dental clinic. I went in an with my big surprise it is not a restaurant (even if they have a few tables and serve espresso coffee, sandwiches, piadina ecc.). It is a shop that sells Italian food and wine. They have an impressive selection of Italian cold meats, cheeses, wines, spirits, pasta, oil, ice-creams and Italian products in general. Believe me, even in Italy it's not easy to find a shop that sells so many different products all together. And all products have an excellent quality and a normal price (for Thailand). I am a pretty good cook but I have always had problems to find some of the ingredients I was looking for, here in Thailand. I used to shop at Villa, which for me had the best selection of Italian products so far (better than Foodland). Now this place has a much bigger selection than Villa and more or less the same prices. I spoke with one of the owners of the place (who are Italians) and he told me that they can afford to have such a huge choice of products because they are suppliers for restaurants and hotels. They decided to open a shop where they sell the same products as retail sale to normal people. Now this shop really made my day. So at the end I didn't try La Merenda but I highly reccomend Eataly if your looking for genuine Italian products.

Edited by Brunus, 2011-10-06 15:19:56.

#32 Jingthing

Jingthing

Member Schmember

• Advanced Members
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 2011-10-06 16:36:42

Yes, I am glad to see Eataly is doing well. They've been there awhile and I didn't think it fit for the area so well then, but now I think it does more so. Le Meranda is on the same side of the street approx. 3 blocks south. I must say La Meranda is a little funky. Sometimes it is better than other times. One day a pasta dish might be freshly made, another time microwaved. I suggest actually asking what is fresh. My favorites have been the main course specials like Italian meat loaf with asparagus and potatoes. Its cheap enough that you can't complain much and like I said they attract Italians.

Edited by Jingthing, 2011-10-06 16:46:45.

#33 PattayaPhom

PattayaPhom

Gold Card Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 2011-10-06 17:26:36

Yeah, ship all the Russian, Arab, Iranian, and Indian tourists over there. Then it will become a wonderful multicultural mosaic. :lol:

You know, that's just a waste of sarcastic breath. It's an area where many farangs reside, already a nice part of Jomtien. Now, it's (logically) attracted quite a few new bars & resto's who have situated themselves all around the (pre-existing and well-attended) local market. That's business, here or anywhere- simple to understand. You don't like it- you don't go there (where do you like to go, anyway?). As for your wise guy post- as far as I know, everyone is in fact welcome there- even you, krap... and that's a good thing.
B)

Well said!!!...............its an ok place for food, drinks and free pool.....never any trouble, easy parking..what more could a punter want

#34 londoedan

londoedan

Ak tak biasa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 2011-10-06 17:51:17

Well said!!!...............its an ok place for food, drinks and free pool.....never any trouble, easy parking..what more could a punter want

Loads of attractive men/women/ladyboys err people working in the bars ? ;)

Call me superficial but that is one of the factors that attracts me to a bar or bar area.

Londo

Edited by londoedan, 2011-10-06 17:52:53.

#35 Brunus

Brunus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 2011-10-06 23:40:21

Yes, I am glad to see Eataly is doing well. They've been there awhile and I didn't think it fit for the area so well then, but now I think it does more so. Le Meranda is on the same side of the street approx. 3 blocks south. I must say La Meranda is a little funky. Sometimes it is better than other times. One day a pasta dish might be freshly made, another time microwaved. I suggest actually asking what is fresh. My favorites have been the main course specials like Italian meat loaf with asparagus and potatoes. Its cheap enough that you can't complain much and like I said they attract Italians.

I have tried almost all the Italian restaurants in town, so I guess it's just a matter of days before I'll try La Merenda :D
As for Eataly I am not sure if they are doing so well as for selling. I was the only customer and I have been in the shop for more than an hour (I drank espresso, ate piadina with prosciutto crudo and stracchino, had a look to all the products they have, talked to the owner, bought pancetta, lardo di Colonnata, salsiccia and a bottle of Primitivo di Puglia). I don't know if it is the location. Maybe they don't advertise much, considering that I have been looking for years for a shop like this one and I found it only now by chance. I thought they were a new shop but if you say that they have been there for a while I don't know what else to think. I hope they won't close now that I found my culinary heaven in Thailand.

#36 Jingthing

Jingthing

Member Schmember

• Advanced Members
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 2011-10-07 00:06:55

I consider that they are still in business doing well! In any case, like you said their main function is to supply restaurants so that's likely working for them.

#37 Brunus

Brunus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 2011-10-07 00:58:52

Probably you are right

#38 ericg1953

ericg1953

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 2011-10-07 17:33:50

There is another very large new Italian food product store located on Sukhumvit Rd just before the new Duty Free Shop and Pattaya Klang on the left side of Suk if you are heading from Pattaya Tai towards North Pattaya

#39 BB1950

BB1950

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 2011-10-07 18:24:01

There is another very large new Italian food product store located on Sukhumvit Rd just before the new Duty Free Shop and Pattaya Klang on the left side of Suk if you are heading from Pattaya Tai towards North Pattaya

:offtopic:
The topic is "Jomtien 2Nd Road And Soi 5 Hot neighborhood!"

#40 BugJackBaron

BugJackBaron

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 2011-10-08 09:43:21

After long time I didn't go to Jomtien I read this post and decided to go and check out the area. I am Italian and was interested in trying the Italian restaurant La Merenda (one of the few things I miss of my country is the food). Once there I noticed a place called Eataly. It is at the corner between soi 5 and Jomtien 2nd road, between a 7/11 and a dental clinic. I went in an with my big surprise it is not a restaurant (even if they have a few tables and serve espresso coffee, sandwiches, piadina ecc.). It is a shop that sells Italian food and wine. They have an impressive selection of Italian cold meats, cheeses, wines, spirits, pasta, oil, ice-creams and Italian products in general. Believe me, even in Italy it's not easy to find a shop that sells so many different products all together. And all products have an excellent quality and a normal price (for Thailand). I am a pretty good cook but I have always had problems to find some of the ingredients I was looking for, here in Thailand. I used to shop at Villa, which for me had the best selection of Italian products so far (better than Foodland). Now this place has a much bigger selection than Villa and more or less the same prices. I spoke with one of the owners of the place (who are Italians) and he told me that they can afford to have such a huge choice of products because they are suppliers for restaurants and hotels. They decided to open a shop where they sell the same products as retail sale to normal people. Now this shop really made my day. So at the end I didn't try La Merenda but I highly reccomend Eataly if your looking for genuine Italian products.

The place strikes me as a litttle odd. While they have a good selection of wine and an interesting but limited selection of cheese, i coudn't figure out why they were sellingNutella sandwhich spread!(Why not sell kraft dinner while you're at it?) And the cakes sold by the piece were the same second-rate stuff sold in many coffee shops around Pattaya. I guess they cater to the low standards of the local market....

#41 Darrel

Darrel

Member in exile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 2011-10-08 14:17:29

i coudn't figure out why they were sellingNutella sandwhich spread!

It's an Italian brand (Ferrero). As such it fits in an Italian deli, in the same way as you might expect to find HP sauce, Cadburys Dairy Milk and Marmite in a British food shop, even a classy one.

#42 Brunus

Brunus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 2011-10-08 19:56:52

The place strikes me as a litttle odd. While they have a good selection of wine and an interesting but limited selection of cheese, i coudn't figure out why they were sellingNutella sandwhich spread!(Why not sell kraft dinner while you're at it?) And the cakes sold by the piece were the same second-rate stuff sold in many coffee shops around Pattaya. I guess they cater to the low standards of the local market....

As Darrel said Nutella is a typical Italian food. Maybe not a classic but for sure everyone in Italy loves Nutella. The selection of cheese didn't seem limited to me, considering that we are in Thailand and these products expire quickly. On the contrary I found some cheese that I have never seen before in Thailand. I don't eat cakes so I can't tell you about them.

#43 Brunus

Brunus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 2011-10-08 19:57:56

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go and check it out :jap:

#44 BugJackBaron

BugJackBaron

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 2011-10-08 21:27:40

As Darrel said Nutella is a typical Italian food. Maybe not a classic but for sure everyone in Italy loves Nutella. The selection of cheese didn't seem limited to me, considering that we are in Thailand and these products expire quickly. On the contrary I found some cheese that I have never seen before in Thailand. I don't eat cakes so I can't tell you about them.

Interesting. Many people will just think of Nutella as like a jam product ...a spread and not a particularly healthful one at that..but maybe that is just the American "kraft" version.Yes some of the cheeses were exotic like sheep cheese(no Venezualan beaver cheese though :) )but I didn't see old cheddar, chesier or even blue cheese there. For sheer vatriety I have yet to see something better than Emporium in Bangkok(though I hear that special supermarket in Chiang Mai could be better)

#45 Darrel

Darrel

Member in exile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 2011-10-08 22:31:01

Many people will just think of Nutella as like a jam product ...a spread and not a particularly healthful one at that..but maybe that is just the American "kraft" version.

Nutella is a sweet spread made of hazelnuts and chocolate (and sugar, fat, flavourings etc).

As far as I know the recipe is the same the world over.

So not exactly healthy, but it is a food (in that it can be eaten and digested).

Jam is a pretty good comparison.

#46 MZurf

MZurf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 2011-10-09 02:33:13

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go and check it out :jap:

While there you might want to check out the noodle soup restaurant next door. Best noodle soup in Pattaya!

#47 Jingthing

Jingthing

Member Schmember

• Advanced Members
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 2011-10-22 23:22:33

Another news flash.
The BOURBON STREET restaurant in the heart of this HOT new area is now open for business.
It is in the same location as the defunct Seafood Emporium.

I haven't tried it yet but they have a very interesting menu indeed.

A full fancy burger and salad menu. New England clam chowder. Some kicky seafood specials. And last but hopefully not least -- CAJUN specialties.

Crab cakes, red beans and rice, Shrimp gumbo, etc.

Prices? Moderate plus. For example the red beans and rice is 180 baht. OK for a meal portion, pricey for a small portion. As I haven't eaten there yet, I can't say.

Frankly, I'm a little skeptical about their chances. But I wish them good luck especially if the food is good, which I can't comment on as yet.

#48 pauljones

pauljones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 2011-10-23 06:47:43

Another news flash.
The BOURBON STREET restaurant in the heart of this HOT new area is now open for business.
It is in the same location as the defunct Seafood Emporium.

I haven't tried it yet but they have a very interesting menu indeed.

A full fancy burger and salad menu. New England clam chowder. Some kicky seafood specials. And last but hopefully not least -- CAJUN specialties.

Crab cakes, red beans and rice, Shrimp gumbo, etc.

Prices? Moderate plus. For example the red beans and rice is 180 baht. OK for a meal portion, pricey for a small portion. As I haven't eaten there yet, I can't say.

Frankly, I'm a little skeptical about their chances. But I wish them good luck especially if the food is good, which I can't comment on as yet.

This is not the same Bourbon Street restaurant as the well known one in Bangkok I am told.

#49 Danlo

Danlo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 2011-10-23 10:17:33

I wonder who we should contact to stop it raining so as to stop it flooding.........

#50 Jingthing

Jingthing

Member Schmember

• Advanced Members
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 2011-10-23 10:44:10

This is not the same Bourbon Street restaurant as the well known one in Bangkok I am told.

No, it definitely is not nor did I intend to suggest that it was.

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: