8 replies to this topic

#1 docspinoff

docspinoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 2012-01-08 10:57:52

hi i got Thailand maps on my tom tom before I left the UK .
Help can any body tell have to put the correct info into it to find a place ?

as it don;t recognize the villages let alone streets and Soi from a paper map I have
is there map that i can get to look at and find the spellings Tom tom recognize
as they must get there info from somewhere

there does seem to be a lot of different spellings for towns

have contacted Tom tom and total waste of time just trying to parm me off and up date my maps and waste more money my maps i paid for are less then 6 months old

#2 InterestedObserver

InterestedObserver

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 2012-01-08 11:33:29

Same with the Garmins in Thailand. You have to have an idea of where you are going before you begin the trip. It's all in the Thai to English transliteration and how locations are spelled in your TomTom map data base. There is no easy way. A lot of people use co-ordinates from Google Maps or Google Earth to navigate using their GPS.

#3 yougivemebaby

yougivemebaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 2012-01-09 16:52:09

I haven't had any problems with my tom tom. There's a new app that came out on itunes to use your ipad, ipod, or iphone with it. Mine is GREAT! I didn't know that they were equipped with gps antennas

#4 phetphet

phetphet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 2012-01-15 16:05:20

I haven't had any problems with my tom tom. There's a new app that came out on itunes to use your ipad, ipod, or iphone with it. Mine is GREAT! I didn't know that they were equipped with gps antennas

A new app? I bought the TomTom Thailand app for iPhone earlier this year. I went looking on iTunes to see if there were any updates, and I can't even find it, (the app) any longer. I read somewhere that TomTom have sold their Thailand map operation. There is another app called something like Sygic,, (might be spelt wrong), that uses TomTom maps.

#5 dmsnsa

dmsnsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 2012-02-28 04:15:25

It should be there, I just got my maps through iTunes. Lot's of romanizration issues, and inconsistencies. What's the best maps for TH?

A new app? I bought the TomTom Thailand app for iPhone earlier this year. I went looking on iTunes to see if there were any updates, and I can't even find it, (the app) any longer. I read somewhere that TomTom have sold their Thailand map operation. There is another app called something like Sygic,, (might be spelt wrong), that uses TomTom maps.

#6 OZEMADE

OZEMADE

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 2012-03-15 01:12:50

It should be there, I just got my maps through iTunes. Lot's of romanizration issues, and inconsistencies. What's the best maps for TH?

I have a TOM TOM GO 750, I purchased it about 3 yrs ago. I just downloaded a Thailand map in OZ for $45.00 and it works fine.
You also have to download the english voice with street names.
If you are having trouble finding the streets, put it in 2D not 3D and it spells the streets in english for you. Better if you put the destination in first.

#7 jackspratt

jackspratt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 2012-06-09 09:18:08

After reading this on the Tomtom official forum:

Map of Thailand practically unusable - do not buy it!

31-01-2012 05:01 AM
We found the TomTom map of Thailand to be surprisingly detailed and reasonably up-to-date. However, the classification/rating of the roads is completely wrong. The map often does not make difference between large roads and tiny, even unpaved ones. Therefore, in many cases the proposed route is completely unusable, leading along tiny unpaved roads even if there are major roads nearby. Following TomTom navigation wasted us many hours on our trip, instead of helping us and saving us time. At the end we put away TomTom navigation and used our road atlas that we fortunately brought with us.

and subsequent post

We drove from Phuket to Bangkok and the roads were wrongly classified along the way, even around Hua Hin and Bangkok that can hardly be described as remote areas.

http://discussions.t...-it/td-p/150313

I am wondering whether other, local Tomtom users have had the same experience?

Edited by jackspratt, 2012-06-09 09:18:30.

#8 TommoPhysicist

TommoPhysicist

Titanium Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 2012-06-09 09:48:33

there does seem to be a lot of different spellings for towns

There is only one way to spell each town, but that way is in Thai script.

#9 Daeng11

Daeng11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 2012-09-22 18:42:54

I use The IPhone Apo version 1.10 of southeastasia Thailand also integrated und found its the best Navi App I also test Sygic and PPGpro and garmic in the last 2years

Sponsored By:

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: