Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

985 posts in this topic

The world would be a far safer place without religion. "Imagine" a world without god! How nice.

ID: 402   Posted · Hidden by metisdead, January 13, 2012 - reply to deleted

This is how it always begins...A little paranoia here and there and "POOF" we have another conflict...The US Government has to disrupt even the most uninterested of countries...Who the hell is even careing about Thailand...? Is Thailand the last peaceful country to invade...? Once again, america has proven itself to be a war loving and discusting country...I moved here to retire to get away from all the bullsh!t it spews...AND IT IS STILL CREEPING UP MY ASS...(AND THAT IS NOT HOW I REALLY FEEL)...

How do you turn an Embassy email warning it's citizens into this drivel? The Thai government took it seriously, but as they say here; up to you! Brilliant!

ID: 403   Posted · Hidden by metisdead, January 13, 2012 - BS

Oh...and the US embassy wants all US citizens to report in as to your whereabouts...hahahahahaha...Funny how this coincides with TAX TIME...The only terrorist threat here is the USA...!

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

The Americans looking after themselves again! What's that saying again?......"When the going gets tough, screw you"..

Oh come on now. The mailing list for the US embassy is to Americans. Would the Russian embassy be sending messages to Brazilian citizens?

You know now, so stop whining. It's not a confidential message.

Yea, for Americans who register with the U.S. State Dept they get warning messages via email. I also saw this info on CNN TV News a few hours ago. I sure countries/embassies share information/intelligence such as this, but whether and when another country's embassy decides to take similar action is up to them.

ID: 405   Posted · Hidden by sbk, January 13, 2012 - just offensive

Maybe the the womans empowerment factions finally got got caught ...555...The U.S > Consulate General Chiang Mai...Left very quickly....Maybe they stuck their noses in some one elses Business Again...555 ...Phony NGO Business for U>S.A. Grants....555....

Anything better on this subject?

The Thais, fearful of losing so much as 1 tourist dollar, are obfuscating as usual, blindsided by the Americans who decided unilaterally to do the right thing and release their warning, giving tourists the choice as to stay home or hit the streets.

2 arrested, 1 escaped, 1 held, 1 invited for questioning, nobody knows, dont worry, but whatever you do, dont tell the tourists.

ID: 407   Posted · Hidden by metisdead, January 13, 2012 - reply to deleted

Oh...and the US embassy wants all US citizens to report in as to your whereabouts...hahahahahaha...Funny how this coincides with TAX TIME...The only terrorist threat here is the USA...!

Today is January 13 and "tax time" is April 15. Did Abbot & Costello kill RFK as well?

In Bangkok...? Holy crap...! Glad I live in Chiang Rai...In a village of 53 people...I was getting worried for a moment...

US warns of possible terrorist threat in Bangkok

BANGKOK, January 13, 2012 (AFP) - The US embassy in Bangkok warned Friday of a possible terrorist threat against tourists in the Thai capital, urging its citizens to exercise caution in areas popular with foreigners.

"Foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future," it said in an emergency message posted on its website, without saying what prompted the warning.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-01-13

BANGKOK, January 13, 2012 (AFP) - The US embassy in Bangkok warned Friday of a possible terrorist threat against tourists in the Thai capital, urging its citizens to exercise caution in areas popular with foreigners.

"Foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future," it said in an emergency message posted on its website, without saying what prompted the warning.

afplogo.jpg

Think part of these sort of warnings is f***** up mind-games WITH the terrorists!!.. as in 'Let's see if we can manipulate any jihadists perhaps already making their plans, into heading elsewhere other than US soil to the 'soft' targets (which we've just 'Oooh no, I hope nothing happens there!' reminded them of!!!) You think they give a toss about you or me, over here? Think again!!!!!!!

afplogo.jpg

afplogo.jpg

Think part of these sort of warnings is f***** up mind-games WITH the terrorists!!.. as in 'Let's see if we can manipulate any jihadists perhaps already making their plans, into heading elsewhere other than US soil to the 'soft' targets (which we've just 'Oooh no, I hope nothing happens there!' reminded them of!!!) You think they give a toss about you or me, over here? Think again!!!!!!!

They have already been arrested in BKK, Einstein. Any further reflections?

It is hardly surprising the yanks are targets (if it isn't just another BS alarm), pi^sing on dead Muslims ain't going to endear you to folks. It is about time the rest of the world put some distance between them and us, as they have a stockpile of bombs now ready to drop on someone. Who will be next? SE Asia hasn't been blessed for while.

I have bad news for you. Americans aren't the only targets of such operations. ALL Westerners are.

Not if we dump the Yanks as an ally, Spain did it years back and no one is threatening them now, well not Muslims anyway. Blair conned us into these wars, so start by "throwing him to the dogs" just as a show of good faith. His head on a pole would wipe that smirk off his face.

It is simple logic, drop bombs on people, kill their family members and you create more terrorists. Don't drop bombs on people and you won't. Conclusion, people don't like being bombed for no reason,

1 person likes this

The warning is sent to American citizens,but it does not say that the terrorist 'target' is Americans in general.

Bangkok has been warned about and thus expecting some kind of wrath from the islamic maniacs in the south.

For years, I've half-jokingly mentioned to friends - how low security Thailand is. In some ways, it's good, as it's nice to just travel around in a semi-daze and enjoy things. However, if an open-backed pick-up truck with a giant paper-mache (real-looking) black bomb were to ride down main streets in Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok or any other city, no Thais would bat an eye. It gives new meaning to the term 'soft target'. Yet who, in their right mind, would want to bomb Bangkok (?), except perhaps Red Shirt hot heads, .....but no one ever accused them of being level headed.

Maybe because Thai intelligence is involved that there is really a need for a warning.

There have been close calls in the past.

In 2003, when Hambali was arrested, they found a target list. Nana Plaza, Israel Embassy, Israeli restaurant on Kow San Rd. as I recall.

In the early 90s a truck-bomb headed for the Israel Embassy was accidently stopped when the truck crashed in traffic. Driver fled.

Any further reflections?

One asked to report for questioning, denied being a member of hezbolla, (maybe he wasnt carrying his membership card) apparently not held according to one report, and one other fled the country. No mention or press photos of their house/accommodation being searched.

If there is any basis to the warnings from the Israelis and Americans probably half a dozen more out there.

ID: 418   Posted · Hidden by metisdead, January 13, 2012 - uncited source/fair use

It is hardly surprising the yanks are targets (if it isn't just another BS alarm), pi^sing on dead Muslims ain't going to endear you to folks. It is about time the rest of the world put some distance between them and us, as they have a stockpile of bombs now ready to drop on someone. Who will be next? SE Asia hasn't been blessed for while.

I have bad news for you. Americans aren't the only targets of such operations. ALL Westerners are.

Not if we dump the Yanks as an ally, Spain did it years back and no one is threatening them now, well not Muslims anyway. Blair conned us into these wars, so start by "throwing him to the dogs" just as a show of good faith. His head on a pole would wipe that smirk off his face.

It is simple logic, drop bombs on people, kill their family members and you create more terrorists. Don't drop bombs on people and you won't. Conclusion, people don't like being bombed for no reason,

if only the US had not dropped bombs on the Germans.

(AP) Updated at 5:43 a.m. Eastern.

BANGKOK - The U.S. ambassador to Thailand warned Friday there is a "real and very credible" threat of a terrorist attack against American citizens in Bangkok.

Ambassador Kristie Kenney was elaborating on an "emergency message" sent by the embassy to American citizens earlier Friday warning of a possible terrorist attack.

The message said that "foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future." It urged Americans to "keep a low profile" in public and to exercise caution in areas where Western tourists gather.

The statement gave no other details, but the Reuters news agency quoted Thai Deputy Prime Minister as saying a suspected member of the Lebanese Islamic extremist group Hezbollah had been arrested in Thailand.

"A Lebanese suspect from the Hezbollah group has been taken into custody by Thai officials and police are investigating further," Chalerm Yumbumrung told Reuters.

"Following concern raised by the Israeli embassy about a possible attack by a group of Lebanese terrorists in Bangkok, Thai police officials had been coordinating with Israeli officials since before the new year," Reuters quoted the politician as saying.

Kenney told The Associated Press the threat was "real and very credible."

It was the first U.S. warning of a foreign terror attack in Bangkok in recent memory.

Embassy spokesman Walter Braunohler declined to release more details saying, "At this time we don't have any further information to share."

ID: 419   Posted · Hidden by metisdead, January 13, 2012 - off topic

So the 9/11 attacks were a response to what bombings exactly? And of course in your tidy little world, Islam is not mentioned as a possible factor, is it?

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

For years, I've half-jokingly mentioned to friends - how low security Thailand is. In some ways, it's good, as it's nice to just travel around in a semi-daze and enjoy things. However, if an open-backed pick-up truck with a giant paper-mache (real-looking) black bomb were to ride down main streets in Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok or any other city, no Thais would bat an eye. It gives new meaning to the term 'soft target'. Yet who, in their right mind, would want to bomb Bangkok (?), except perhaps Red Shirt hot heads, .....but no one ever accused them of being level headed.

And who in their right mind would want to bomb Bali?

I find it very interesting to read so many anti-American comments on this thread but the posters will not state their own nationality.

Why is that?

OK, I'm a Dutch citizen and I'm sick of the US N**zi government. There it is ...

You mean the country that liberated (along with the Brits) your country from ACTUAL Nazis?

Strange how some forget eh.

He probably just didn't know. The schools and Universities today, are in most cases, staffed by professors with their own political ax to grind. The fact that the United States liberated Europe doesn't exactly fix squarely with their agenda so they don't teach it. He hates America out of his own ignorance.

Any further reflections?

One asked to report for questioning, denied being a member of hezbolla, (maybe he wasnt carrying his membership card) apparently not held according to one report, and one other fled the country. No mention or press photos of their house/accommodation being searched.

If there is any basis to the warnings from the Israelis and Americans probably half a dozen more out there.

Oh he denied it. Well then, that's settled. Let him go,