Honda Nc700X

117 replies to this topic

#1 RED21

RED21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 12:28:39

So, I posted this new topic up so as too keep the discussion about the bike from the CBR600F thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os411YlK4hM

Honda's Virtual Press office says it will be available in 4 colors:
  • Darkness Black Metallic
  • Magna Red
  • Digital Silver Metallic
  • Pearl Sunbeam White
I'm having problems with attaching the images...

Attached Files

Edited by RED21, 2012-01-27 12:32:08.

#2 taichiplanet

taichiplanet

Retyred Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 13:37:37

kpmsprtd put up this great link about the NC700X on the CBR600 thread

http://ashonbikes.co.../honda-nc700x-0

#3 BigBikeBKK

BigBikeBKK

Secret Soi Rider

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 13:41:03

And I had to add my 2 satang ;)

Posted Image

Great... so just as Honda farked up the world class VFR by adding VTEC from their cars now they're going to produce a maxi-scooter using an engine that shares a lot of components from the Honda Jazz?!

And they're putting this underpowered car-like engine into an overweight platform...

50Hp, 228Kg and a redline at 6500rpm?!?! OMG how boring do they want this bike to be?

The article says "the NC700X is the first modern motorcycle engine designed primarily for fuel efficiency rather than a high power density". Well, if fuel efficiency is the over-riding concern, why not buy a 125-150cc scooter? What can this big heavy maxi-scooter do that a PCX or Wave or Click can't?

I dunno guys... The article says that this is one of the first Honda bikes that's got design inputs from automobile engineers.

"they had meetings with engineers from Honda’s car division once or twice a month for two years during the design process, the first time this has happened at Honda."

Is that supposed to be a good thing?

And the way I read it, this is going to be a bike that drives "rides?" more like a car...

For now it's made in Japan, so if imported to Thailand you can expect to pay around ~4xxk Baht, perhaps even 500k Baht if you add all the bells and whistles for this overweight, underpowered scooter-bike in the Land of Smiles... No thanks!

#4 cm das

cm das

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 13:56:05

"Darkness Black"? What creative genius came up with that one?

#5 RED21

RED21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 14:10:20

Something's gone terribly wrong with the forum's file attachment feature...

Pearl Sunbeam White
Posted Image

Digital Silver Metallic
Posted Image

Magna Red
Posted Image

Darkness Black Metallic
Posted Image

Edited by RED21, 2012-01-27 14:14:35.

#6 NormanW

NormanW

Secret Soi Rider

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 14:11:13

The figures are crap and the bike/car looks crap.

Oh man, what are Honda doing???

They'll do anything to reinvent the wheel man!!!

#7 RED21

RED21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 14:18:52

Honda Virtual Press Office press release on the NC700X

Tried attaching the document to the post, but the attachment button seems to be having a hissy fit...Posted Image

#8 wantan

wantan

Daydreaming Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 14:21:43

Don't understand why this should be a "Maxi Scooter". It seems to have a very low center of mass and nice storage capacity in front. If the price would be OK i might would give it a try. But i guess it would be much to expensive as i like cheap bikes Posted Image

#9 BigBikeBKK

BigBikeBKK

Secret Soi Rider

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 15:20:58

Don't understand why this should be a "Maxi Scooter". It seems to have a very low center of mass and nice storage capacity in front. If the price would be OK i might would give it a try. But i guess it would be much to expensive as i like cheap bikes Posted Image

Certainly not cheap... Base version goes for 5,850 pounds in the UK.

In the US the base version MSRP is $6999, add DCT and ABS and the price goes all the way up to $8999!!!

#10 thaicbr

thaicbr

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 15:58:57

In the US the base version MSRP is $6999, add DCT and ABS and the price goes all the way up to $8999!!!

Tony. it's 60 pounds more expensive than the non ABS er6. and the nc700 has ABS as standard. and DCT is 700 pounds extra in the UK.

Edited by thaicbr, 2012-01-27 16:01:43.

#11 BigBikeBKK

BigBikeBKK

Secret Soi Rider

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 16:33:08

Tony. it's 60 pounds more expensive than the non ABS er6. and the nc700 has ABS as standard. and DCT is 700 pounds extra in the UK.

Hey Alan! TGIF! Posted Image

I'm not sure about the UK, but in the US the ABS is optional and a costly addition... IF this bike comes to Thailand I bet they'll only offer one version.

#12 William Osborne

William Osborne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 18:35:25

50Hp, 228Kg and a redline at 6500rpm?!?!

6500 rpm ..... off the hook... craaazzy !! can't wait to hear that at full chat... gonna be awesome Posted Image

Edited by William Osborne, 2012-01-27 18:35:52.

#13 taichiplanet

taichiplanet

Retyred Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 18:50:51

And I had to add my 2 satang Posted Image

Posted Image

Great... so just as Honda farked up the world class VFR by adding VTEC from their cars now they're going to produce a maxi-scooter using an engine that shares a lot of components from the Honda Jazz?!

And they're putting this underpowered car-like engine into an overweight platform...

50Hp, 228Kg and a redline at 6500rpm?!?! OMG how boring do they want this bike to be?

The article says "the NC700X is the first modern motorcycle engine designed primarily for fuel efficiency rather than a high power density". Well, if fuel efficiency is the over-riding concern, why not buy a 125-150cc scooter? What can this big heavy maxi-scooter do that a PCX or Wave or Click can't?

I dunno guys... The article says that this is one of the first Honda bikes that's got design inputs from automobile engineers.

"they had meetings with engineers from Honda’s car division once or twice a month for two years during the design process, the first time this has happened at Honda."

Is that supposed to be a good thing?

And the way I read it, this is going to be a bike that drives "rides?" more like a car...

For now it's made in Japan, so if imported to Thailand you can expect to pay around ~4xxk Baht, perhaps even 500k Baht if you add all the bells and whistles for this overweight, underpowered scooter-bike in the Land of Smiles... No thanks!

I agree with what you say but still an interesting read. Maybe it would suit Thailand as APe Honda probably won't train the 'mechanics' in Honda bike dealerships to service anything that requires finesse. Still, with the low down torque it will supposedly have i might get one and put one of those cowcatchers off an old steam train and heaven help anyone that dares get in my way!

Attached File  MNC7Xcow1.jpg   90.19KB   6 downloads

#14 JonnyF

JonnyF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 19:14:26

50Hp, 228Kg and a redline at 6500rpm?!?!

6500 rpm ..... off the hook... craaazzy !! can't wait to hear that at full chat... gonna be awesome Posted Image

Normally I'd welcome any new bike to Thailand. More options are good etc etc. But on this occasion I'm gonna hope this thing never raises it's ugly head in LOS. It's just going to annoy me every time I see it.

If you want practicality/economy then buy the PCX, if you want an adventure bike buy a Versys. This thing seems to be the worst of both worlds. A "pretend" adventure bike that's not as economic as a scooter. Another weak effort from Honda. I dread to think what's next.

At least it's not a thumper.

#15 thaicbr

thaicbr

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 2012-01-27 23:57:19

have any of you actually read the ashon bikes article.

to answer a few points..
'What can this big heavy maxi-scooter do that a PCX or Wave or Click can't?' a pcx cannot ride 2 up at a sustained 140kmh. this can for a similar fuel economy
as for price. i can't find any reference to a US price for the nc700s only as they do not seem to be importing it into the US yet . in fact i can only find a vague Canadian price of less than 9,000 C$.

It would seem the US is only getting the NC700x @ $6999......OR $8999 WITH ABS AND DCT.. hahaha at last the UK gets something cheaper than the US. OOPS wrong again UK price with DCT is $10,200..(eg. 5,850 +700 uk pounds).........goddamn

(up dated UK price 5,350 uk pounds on the road. see link)http://www.huntsmoto...onda-nc700s.htm

In the Euro and Uk markets it seems to have the ABS as standard on the nc700s & nc700x. Strange it's a combined option on the x in the US.

As for who it's for.. it's not aimed at Tony that's for surePosted Image
More like some one that wants a comfortable bike that will give swift acceleration and a reasonable top speed.. that's probably me then (the nc700s anyway) Posted Image

Also note from the attached website the nc700s it weighs 211kg (er6 204kg) nc700x 218kg (versys 209kg) with dct 228kg

Edited by thaicbr, 2012-01-28 00:13:45.

#16 SumetCycle

SumetCycle

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 2012-01-28 00:02:36

+1

#17 blackpanda

blackpanda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 2012-01-28 13:15:15

I don't know 50hp is pretty depressing. I wounder what the torque is going to be on this bike and what a dyno test may look like.
I have to say the tank/helmet, storage and rear seat/gas has got to be a FAIL for me. what do you guys think about it?

Edited by blackpanda, 2012-01-28 13:16:00.

#18 wana

wana

Platinum Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 2012-01-28 16:57:11

its too weird for my liking but with such limited options available in thailand
they will more than likely sell some of them
I dont like the gas tank being a storage locker but it might be convenient as a utility /shopping /commuting vehicle

id rather keep the gas tank for gas and carry a backpack if im going shopping ,they might be trying to attract car drivers
to get one

if they found a way to get a decent sized tank under the seat they could have offered another 15 litres in the regular tank place ,combined maybe 25-30L

twice the range between fill ups would have been more tempting for me than having "that storge compartment " :)

#19 wana

wana

Platinum Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 2012-01-28 16:57:27

its too weird for my liking but with such limited options available in thailand
they will more than likely sell some of them
I dont like the gas tank being a storage locker but it might be convenient as a utility /shopping /commuting vehicle

id rather keep the gas tank for gas and carry a backpack if im going shopping ,they might be trying to attract car drivers
to get one

if they found a way to get a decent sized tank under the seat they could have offered another 15 litres in the regular tank place ,combined maybe 25-30L

twice the range between fill ups would have been more tempting for me than having "that storage compartment " Posted Image

#20 KRS1

KRS1

Elusive Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 2012-01-28 19:49:22

Could this be the shemale equivalent in the motorcycle world? The Honda Crossdresser? Posted Image

#21 NormanW

NormanW

Secret Soi Rider

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 2012-01-28 19:59:19

I don't know 50hp is pretty depressing. I wounder what the torque is going to be on this bike and what a dyno test may look like.
I have to say the tank/helmet, storage and rear seat/gas has got to be a FAIL for me. what do you guys think about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bFuxi3BB3o

The perfect place to put yer carrots from Big C !!!

Because that's the type of person who would buy the monstrosity!!

Hideous.

Ridiculous.

Pointless.

Errrr, I think I don't like it. Posted Image

#22 Fishenough

Fishenough

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 2012-01-30 10:00:56

Yeah it's a big scooter camouflaged somewhat, and the fact that it's another new Honda with crap suspension is down right criminal,

but this may be Honda's take on the future of bikes. Low horse power, low reving unexciting engines with practical storage spaces. Rising fuel costs, purchase and maintenance costs, parking fees etc is going to create more new riders AND new bikes to meet there wants and needs. Can't all be about emotion (the DN-01, ehhh). Simple bikes with ABS will appear more and more, more out of the norm dual purpose machines, and so on. If this bike is a success maybe we will be seeing diesel motorcycles all to soon!

#23 wantan

wantan

Daydreaming Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 2012-01-30 12:45:44

Yeah it's a big scooter camouflaged somewhat, and the fact that it's another new Honda with crap suspension is down right criminal,

but this may be Honda's take on the future of bikes. Low horse power, low reving unexciting engines with practical storage spaces. Rising fuel costs, purchase and maintenance costs, parking fees etc is going to create more new riders AND new bikes to meet there wants and needs. Can't all be about emotion (the DN-01, ehhh). Simple bikes with ABS will appear more and more, more out of the norm dual purpose machines, and so on. If this bike is a success maybe we will be seeing diesel motorcycles all to soon!

We will see if Honda sells some of those bikes. I like the ideas. Its not a cool looking racing styled bike. But some people just need horsepower to get from A to B. And with 50hp and good torque it is sure more than enough.

A friend of mine hopes that some diesel Royal Enfield is coming. He is keen to have a diesel bike. He likes looooow costs. So he sure would buy a Honda diesel too.

#24 RED21

RED21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 2012-01-30 12:56:11

So, a bike with an engine that behaves like a car...

Reminds me of this video

Edited by RED21, 2012-01-30 12:56:44.

#25 BigBikeBKK

BigBikeBKK

Secret Soi Rider

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 2012-01-30 14:26:26

So, a bike with an engine that behaves like a car...

Reminds me of this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI7zw0HhDvA

That's a great video, but I have no idea how it says anything about a bike with an engine that behaves like a car...

Unless, like the reviewer, you're trying to point out that no matter how exciting the car, it will never be as exciting as a superbike?

Anyway, top end Mercs and Ducs are certainly far more fun exciting than Honda's pathetic new NC700 ;)

Sponsored by:

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: