View New Content Help  
Photo
- - - - -

Why Are There So Many Americans In Chiang Mai?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
438 replies to this topic

#51 marstons

marstons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 12:18:23

The only reason that I tip is to piss off Europeans who won't. Since it doesn't seem to piss off the Thais, I figure that it's a win win.

Strange way to think, why would it piss of Europeans if you tip.yeap giving away your money makes you a winner and pisses off us Europeans Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#52 harrry

harrry

Titanium Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,907 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 12:34:26

Chiang Mai is largely a city of saints and sinners as far as Americans are concerned. It has a large percentage of Missionaries who often preach illegally in China on tourist visas and return to CM till the weather gets better in China. It has a large gay population, largely from the US who come to CM as the new SanFransisco and then it has a few other americans just trying to live. I leave it to the reader to decide which group each belongs.

Edited by harrry, 2012-02-23 12:35:07.

#53 eyecatcher

eyecatcher

flippant member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 13:39:34

If you're American please dont come here thinking its SF; you will simply add to the problem.... the unis already have an 80% population of those 'batting for the other side' hard to believe but true.
my biggest fear is that i will turn one day (all said tongue in cheek!)

#54 heybruce

heybruce

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 13:52:26

Let's see, population of U.S. approximately 300 million, population of United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand about 100 million, add in about 34 million Canadians (if you can tell the difference in accents) and you get the the number of U.S. English speakers out-numbering the other first world English speakers by over two to one.

That's true. However, i'd be surprised if Americans outnumbered the British in somewhere like Samui, or outnumbered Australians in Phuket

Really? Why are there so many Brits in Samui and Aussies in Phuket?

#55 elektrified

elektrified

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 13:54:49

I can't answer that but back in 1989 when I first went to Koh Samui, every other tourist I met was an Australian.

#56 BookMan

BookMan

Club Lounge Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 14:17:10

I can't answer that but back in 1989 when I first went to Koh Samui, every other tourist I met was an Australian.

I don't really have an answer for that either.

#57 Jingthing

Jingthing

Member Schmember

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,558 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 15:07:26

If you're American please dont come here thinking its SF; you will simply add to the problem.... the unis already have an 80% population of those 'batting for the other side' hard to believe but true.

Why is a large gay population a problem? BTW, I think you are grossly exaggerating. Even San Francisco includes only 30 percent gay people.

#58 Thailand

Thailand

Thailand (In English)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 17:21:48

"One thing i noticed, was the amount of American accents. Whether in the hotel, at a bar, walking the markets, I would hear American accents. (Some might have been Canadian). Seemed to be a lot of ex pats and also a lot of younger backpackers."

I don't think there are that many Americans here, they are just louder than most folks so it seems like it.

Ooops! Posted Image

#59 Martied

Martied

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 17:31:14

POPULAR

As an American, these are a few of the reasons that I am here:
1. Police are not on every street corner.
2. Taking an airplane does not require you to have your privates fondled by a pervert.
3. The corruption in Thailand is much lower than in America.
4. The women are not ashamed to be a woman nor act like one.
5. The women on average are 25k smaller.
6. Problems can usually be resolved without a lawyer and huge expenses.
7. Healthcare is much cheaper tho not as good.
8. 0bama bumper stickers are nowhere to be found.

My country seems to be having a few problems lately.

#60 Puwa

Puwa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 17:36:26

it's a fun discussion, but we need real numbers to get beyond conjecture. i don't necessarily believe that there is a disproportionately large number of americans. or that americans are disproportionately larger. or that the talking geckos in your house are more likely to vote republican than are the talking geckos in my house (at least that's what they tell me). or that the fish spa liberation movement is better armed than the loi kroh democratic front. or that in the cool season, the ki naow, ki naow is any colder than the akha akha all day. it's like woody allen's old joke: doctor, my brother thinks he's a chicken. why don't you turn him in? i would, but i need the eggs.

#61 transam

transam

V8 RULES

• Advanced Members
  • 23,428 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 17:37:40

As an American, these are a few of the reasons that I am here:
1. Police are not on every street corner.
2. Taking an airplane does not require you to have your privates fondled by a pervert.
3. The corruption in Thailand is much lower than in America.
4. The women are not ashamed to be a woman nor act like one.
5. The women on average are 25k smaller.
6. Problems can usually be resolved without a lawyer and huge expenses.
7. Healthcare is much cheaper tho not as good.
8. 0bama bumper stickers are nowhere to be found.

My country seems to be having a few problems lately.

Same anywhere in LOS, thread is about CM. Posted Image Still say cos 5 McD's.

#62 lannarebirth

lannarebirth

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • 12,163 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 17:58:55

Why is a large gay population a problem? BTW, I think you are grossly exaggerating. Even San Francisco includes only 30 percent gay people.

That sounds about right, but wouldn't you say that's still 3-4 times the national average? Or more, I don't know.

As far as gays turning CM into a SF, I don't think that will happen. I DO believe gays are AT LEAST as exploitive of the local people here as are normal "sexpats" who come here to exploit locals sexually. Anyway, it's not much to do with Americans. I find bthe hetero and homo from whichever country are pretty much similar on their visits here.

#63 Jingthing

Jingthing

Member Schmember

• Advanced Members
  • 50,558 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 18:02:59

POPULAR

That sounds about right, but wouldn't you say that's still 3-4 times the national average? Or more, I don't know.

As far as gays turning CM into a SF, I don't think that will happen. I DO believe gays are AT LEAST as exploitive of the local people here as are normal "sexpats" who come here to exploit locals sexually. Anyway, it's not much to do with Americans. I find bthe hetero and homo from whichever country are pretty much similar on their visits here.

Yes, San Francisco has been a gay mecca and probably has the highest percentage of gay people as any big city on the planet, but still just 30 percent. In the entire population, probably about 2 - 3 percent. I seriously doubt the expat population of CM is anywhere even close to 30 percent gay. I agree gay people are no better and no worse than anyone else. However, I don't appreciate the trash talk about the gays taking over and how bad it is, especially when quite obviously the gays are not taking over.

Edited by Jingthing, 2012-02-23 18:14:40.

#64 transam

transam

V8 RULES

• Advanced Members
  • 23,428 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 18:12:37

Yes, San Francisco has been a gay mecca and probably has the highest percentage of gay people as any big city on the planet, but still just 30 percent. In the entire population, probably about 2 - 3 percent. I seriously doubt the expat population of CM is anywhere even close to 30 percent. I agree gay people are no better and no worse than anyone else. However, I don't appreciate the trash talk about the gays taking over and how bad it is, especially when quite obviously the gays are not taking over.

+1

#65 msg362

msg362

I want to leave but they won't let me!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 19:48:53

( Jingting)Yes, San Francisco has been a gay mecca and probably has the highest percentage of gay people as any big city on the planet, but still just 30 percent. In the entire population, probably about 2 - 3 percent. I seriously doubt the expat population of CM is anywhere even close to 30 percent. I agree gay people are no better and no worse than anyone else. However, I don't appreciate the trash talk about the gays taking over and how bad it is, especially when quite obviously the gays are not taking over.

What has this got to do with Americans in Chiang Mai? is it not off topic? Who cares which way you put it in?

Edited by msg362, 2012-02-23 19:50:05.

#66 transam

transam

V8 RULES

• Advanced Members
  • 23,428 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 20:01:07

( Jingting)Yes, San Francisco has been a gay mecca and probably has the highest percentage of gay people as any big city on the planet, but still just 30 percent. In the entire population, probably about 2 - 3 percent. I seriously doubt the expat population of CM is anywhere even close to 30 percent. I agree gay people are no better and no worse than anyone else. However, I don't appreciate the trash talk about the gays taking over and how bad it is, especially when quite obviously the gays are not taking over.

What has this got to do with Americans in Chiang Mai? is it not off topic? Who cares which way you put it in?

JT is thinking of moving. Posted Image

#67 OriginalPoster

OriginalPoster

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 20:09:13

The only reason that I tip is to piss off Europeans who won't. Since it doesn't seem to piss off the Thais, I figure that it's a win win.

Strange way to think, why would it piss of Europeans if you tip.yeap giving away your money makes you a winner and pisses off us Europeans Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I don't know if it pisses off real Europeans in real life, but here on ThaiVisa Europeans express a lot a resentment over the tipping practices of Americans.

Edited by OriginalPoster, 2012-02-23 20:10:38.

#68 transam

transam

V8 RULES

• Advanced Members
  • 23,428 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 20:14:26

I don't know if it pisses off real Europeans in real life, but here on ThaiVisa Europeans express a lot a resentment over the tipping practices of Americans.

Me for one. Posted Image

#69 mstribling

mstribling

Paying Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 20:29:39

I tip everywhere I go. I haven't been to CM yet. I might head that way, and see what is going on. Thanks.

#70 transam

transam

V8 RULES

• Advanced Members
  • 23,428 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 20:51:48

I tip everywhere I go. I haven't been to CM yet. I might head that way, and see what is going on. Thanks.

Drop by my place and leave a tip. Would like a new motor. Posted Image

#71 binjalin

binjalin

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 20:57:03

JT is thinking of moving. Posted Image

Horray?

#72 femi fan

femi fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 21:10:41

Yes, as others have said, loads of missionaries from america here. They have a history of trying to convert others into their ways, especially through religious means.

Also will be the resident cia population, doing their level best to keep the empire going.

But other than that it is an interesting question. There literally are loads of american families here in cm, and outside of religious and political fanatics, why would they all end up here? When it comes to travelers, there are really not many americans at all. And you don't see the travelers in other parts of thailand as you do here in chiang mai.

Maybe the travelers hate beaches.

#73 blackpoolbob

blackpoolbob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 21:12:30

Pretty simple. There are over 300 million Americans. They should equal almost all the Europeans combined.

Try again.. the population of Europe is 731,000,000

#74 mstribling

mstribling

Paying Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 22:49:50

Pretty simple. There are over 300 million Americans. They should equal almost all the Europeans combined.

Try again.. the population of Europe is 731,000,000

He might have meant working ones.

#75 mcgriffith

mcgriffith

Peace Member

• Honorary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 2012-02-23 23:41:10

POPULAR

I'm not sure about this topic.
No doubt there are a good number of Americans in CM.
Missionaries, long time expats, and snowbirds (who come Oct-March).

But I live here year round, and easily know and meet as many Brits, Aussies, and EU people.

The OP is a noob, and maybe thought CM would be like Bali, where Strine is the dominant language....and is disappointed.

Personally, as an American, I like to go places where there are little or next to no fellow citizens.
Nothing grates on my nerves as much as a family poolside yelling at their kids: "Joshua, You quit hittin' your sister now, or I will tan your little hide!"

Makes me want to move to Equador, to get away from these Fox News weirdos, post-haste......:)

For the record, I first visited CM in 1975, moved here permanently 6 years ago.

All are welcome here in Chiang Mai; let's not turn this into a "I'm from Yorkshire, Liverpool sucks" discussion please.

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: