View New Content Help  
Photo
- - - - -

Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

843 replies to this topic

#1 webfact

webfact

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119,588 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:17:21

Police Launches Investigation into Foreigner Assault on BTS Case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPrur8x7ktI

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok police is planning to question all parties involved in a video clip posted on Youtube showing a foreigner assaulted by BTS security guards.

Superintendent of the Thonglor Police Station, Police Colonel Rattasak Raksalam has reported that all parties involved in the video clip recently posted on Youtube showing a foreigner assaulted by BTS security guards at the Prompong Station will be summoned for questioning.

Rattasak said both sides have already filed a complaint with the police.

The investigation team will also try to track down the person who posted the clip to serve as a key witness.

Rattasak noted that the incident was likely caused by miscommunication.

President of the Bangkok Mass Transit System or BTS Arnat Arpapirom indicated that from an initial investigation, the foreigner was trying to board a train with his daughter's balloons which is against the BTS's security protocol.

BTS officials told the foreigner he had to abandon the balloons if he wants to go on the train but he refused, saying that he was let on the BTS with the balloons earlier in the day.

Arnat claimed the foreigner then started to get aggressive, kicking at trash cans, resulting in security guards being called in to subdue him.

The video clip showed the foreigner and BTS officials having a heated argument at the front of the ticket collection machine before he was clubbed in the head by the guards' baton.

The man is then seen going through the ticket collection machine, clutching some balloons in his hand and with blood dripping on his face.

The police will have to determine whether a crime has been committed as both sides have lodged a complaint.

The BTS will also launch a disciplinary inquiry on its employees.

In any case, the company is planning to compensate the victim, which will be unrelated to the police's investigation.

-- Tan Network 2012-03-22

for a previous topic in General forum:
Does Anyone Know
http://www.thaivisa....es-anyone-know/

#2 canuckamuck

canuckamuck

Fine Specimen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:31:02

At least BTS sees it for what it was and is doing the right thing.

#3 AsianAdvisor

AsianAdvisor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:33:32

It gives a whole new meaning to going clubbing in Bangkok!

On a serious note, it does worry me on the level of gratuitous violence that I am now reading about by Thais on farangs.

#4 Crushdepth

Crushdepth

Reactionary Yellow Fascist Bully Boy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,768 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:34:35

The guard filed a complaint after assaulting a passenger with a baton? Only after he found out he was about to be crucified via Youtube, I'll bet.

#5 Tatsujin

Tatsujin

respect my authority!!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:39:35

From what I saw of the video and read elsewhere, it's the guys own fault. He tried to do something that isn't allowed, got abusive, and got what was to be expected when you get abusive with security/police.

#6 laurentbkk

laurentbkk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:39:57

Its not very clear on the video what happen actually ... I will say ..those security guard act like if they were policeman (come on they are only "guard" LOL) and maybe the foreigner was disturb by the heat and the baloons of the kid. Miscommunication for sure as those guards hardly speak english. I dont think its necessary to publish this kind of stuff no ?

#7 yougivemebaby

yougivemebaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:40:53

Sounds like it was excessive force on a farang who didn't want to follow the rules. They should have just called the police if they were that hard up about not letting the guy on the train with the balloons. Give him a ticket not bash his skull .. <deleted>

#8 shawndoc

shawndoc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:41:49

The article says in the video you can see him getting clubbed, however it appears he already has blood on his face when it starts and I don't see him taking any blows to the head before going through the turnstiles.

#9 yougivemebaby

yougivemebaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:42:23

I think that guy was off his meds if he was that pissed about balloons .. JHCHRIST

#10 Spartans

Spartans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:42:52

It gives a whole new meaning to going clubbing in Bangkok!

On a serious note, it does worry me on the level of gratuitous violence that I am now reading about by Thais on farangs.

Although I understand your point, however having farangs looking down on Thailand does not help the situation as well. It's quite often expression used in this forum such as "TIT" or other expressions that reflect that farangs expect Thailand to be exactly like their country. The truth is that its not and it won't be. But I guess in this case, its a mixed between language problems and the faring thinking "this is another TIT where people make up their own rule as they goes" when the security guard tried to stop him.

#11 kaysamui

kaysamui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:44:13

All I can see on this Video is, that the Farang assault the security Guard, hit him in the face, so his hat fell off, and when the second security guards appears, he get kicked by the other Farang.
imo, the Farang had not the correct ticket and didn't wanted to accept the punishment for that !
Why is it twisted against the Thai here ? it's clear visible, who assaulted who: Farang assaulted Thai !

this kind of news and comments sucks.

#12 softgeorge

softgeorge

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:44:37

He appeared to be just a normal normal father who simply put his daughter through the gates and then tried to catch up with her. I think the security gaurd has totally over reacted to what was nothing in the 1st instance. Maybe the farang will have to pay 200K in damages for causing the Thai to loose face on You Tube and all will be forgotten.

#13 nicolas18

nicolas18

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:46:07

If you look at the video, he was already bleeding while he was on the other side of the gates, where no security guard is present.
On top of that, he does seem like an aggressive a-hole.

Seeing how the guy seemed to want to punch the security guard, if I were the BTS guy, I would have clubbed him in the head as well.

But, as always, the farang apologetist/"thais hate farangs" brigade will soon swarm this topic.

#14 CMSteve

CMSteve

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:47:50

From the video it looks like the foreigner just figured he was going to do what he wants... although, I understand that he was just trying to take his child's balloons on-board, rules are rules. Balloons haven't been allowed on the BTS for a while now. They blocked him from using his card at the turnstiles, so he decides to use the handicap entrance. Then the guard tries to stop him and take the balloon, and this guy goes crazy.

Unfortunately, this makes all of us foreigners look bad. I hope that any Thai's reading this will recognize that we are not all like this, this is just one bad apple in the bunch.

#15 garvin123g

garvin123g

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:48:04

The clip almost looks set up..but maybe just me. Also curious they are looking to find who posted the original Video on You Tube

#16 Curt1591

Curt1591

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:49:22

The only videos I have seen are after the fact. The father is already bleeding.

A good smack on the head does have the tendency to release a bit of adrenaline.

Edited by Curt1591, 2012-03-22 13:50:33.

#17 infernalman7

infernalman7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:49:34

To think of it, people like him just give us Farangs a bad name.

How hard is it to be a bit more tolerable and understanding?
He's a teacher <deleted>.

#18 Xonax

Xonax

Splendid Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:50:03

I don´t really see why he shouldn´t be allowed to carry the balloons on the train, when it´s no crime to bring a dirty bicycle.

I feel sad for the little girl, who had to witness the violence from both her dad and the security guard.

#19 mickjn

mickjn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:50:33

Nothing in it

#20 chickin

chickin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:51:03

Be carful AsianAdvisor, the truth won't be tolerated around this place for long.

True, the guy was getting out of line, but this is clearly abuse. The rent-a-cop should not use his baton unless he, or someone else, is being attacked. He should lose is job and be fined and imprisoned. Sad that so many foreigners support this blatant abuse.

#21 OliverPludra

OliverPludra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:51:50

it's clear visible, who assaulted who: Farang assaulted Thai !

Absolutely agree...

#22 canuckamuck

canuckamuck

Fine Specimen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:54:39

All I can see on this Video is, that the Farang assault the security Guard, hit him in the face, so his hat fell off, and when the second security guards appears, he get kicked by the other Farang.
imo, the Farang had not the correct ticket and didn't wanted to accept the punishment for that !
Why is it twisted against the Thai here ? it's clear visible, who assaulted who: Farang assaulted Thai !

this kind of news and comments sucks.

How is it possible to have the wrong ticket, before you go through the turnstiles on the way to the trains?

#23 petedk

petedk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:57:00

How come the Immigration Official at the airport who slapped the security guard's ears was beaten up in the same way?

IMO that was a far more serious offence.

#24 OxfordWill

OxfordWill

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:57:03

Scary that he would be hit on the head with a young child in tow.

#25 canuckamuck

canuckamuck

Fine Specimen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 2012-03-22 13:57:10

If you look at the video, he was already bleeding while he was on the other side of the gates, where no security guard is present.
On top of that, he does seem like an aggressive a-hole.

Seeing how the guy seemed to want to punch the security guard, if I were the BTS guy, I would have clubbed him in the head as well.

But, as always, the farang apologetist/"thais hate farangs" brigade will soon swarm this topic.

The assault had already occureed before the start of that video. Of course he was pissed off after that, how would you act?

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: