Isuzu V-Cross Report (After Two Weeks)

52 replies to this topic

#1 Carsten007

Carsten007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 2012-07-20 13:56:17

Got it on 6. Juli, white, 3.0 l and Automatic.

The interior can be compared with VW, nothing stylish but not ugly. Good enough, much better than the old Toyotas but lets not compare apples with oranges. A hook for your shopping bags and lots of store room in front; 6 speaker multimedia with garmin Navi and a very useful rear camera.
The dogshyt brown leather is appreciated, probably, only after 2 years of having it, and having an infant and family and so forth... Nice grey or cream would have changed then anyway to what Isu offered right away.

The cockpit has its fair share of electronics, like outside temperature or automatic illumination or Fahrenheit or miles per gallon. And the Navi has some "green" eco thing where a counter will teach how to drive economically, green, yellow, red, nice.

Power is excessive, 177 HP, the 5 manual transmission is "smooth as silk"; when kickdown is done it moves the car.
It is in 5th gear already at 55 km/h when driving softly, Isu is so proud of its enormous economy on fuel.
This part i personally like the most; under 75 km/h, when your foot goes of the accelerator it falls to idle, when on a flat road. When on the highway at 80 you can do easy 18 km/l, mind you, the car weighs 1750 kg and has a 3 l engine.

Once i reduced the Tyre pressure to the recommended 29 PSI (down from 47 the dealer gave me for free) the suspension is very good, you will feel all the wholes and continue unabated. A bit like a ship, it shakes and moves and precise steering is not affected.

So far i am very happy, a solid build truck, easy to drive and very good on gas.

I did modify a few things: First, the Fuse box in the engine room. The lid is plastic on plastic so i put a bit of silicon to make it more insulated, but the mains coming in from under can not be done. I live by the sea, salty air and that produces in a few years these difficult to find electrical failures, even the fan flaps are electric with this model, better be prepared.

For 3.700 B i got a lock of the brake, at the same time cutting the ignition and an extra alarm when someone tries to fiddle there. Cheaper than argue with a not yet established insurance and another 3-month-waiting-for-the car-again story.

The rust-protection under the car was done "WishyWashy" so one more time at Isuzu near my place for 2000 Baht made the car "black" everywhere down under.

Third thing is the wheel-housing. Don't know why they are not having this done properly in the factory, the mud and sand and whatever will fly straight into the engine room and that is not good. Cost was 1.800 with drilling and lots of silicone to close the gaps. Perfect. Do this only if you want to keep the car for longer, as i intend.

Yesterday i put a lid on the back, Super Up.
5 reasons: Cargo stays dry, no additional baggage like rubbish, no unauthorized removal of goods, the family can sit in shadow and it should save even a bit of gas as the wind doesn't get hold of the door, behind. It shuts with the central locking, very convenient.

To conclude: A nice truck, good looking, economical and easy to repair everywhere.

Comments and additions are welcome, these words are just my first impressions after 2 weeks.

Posted Image

#2 Martinpeter

Martinpeter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 2012-07-20 16:37:48

Posted Image Hi There/.

I am very interested in buying a new Isuzu V-Cross the same in the near future to/.

But i am unsure about the gps? garmin Navi? what about updates? do you have to buy from Isuzu dealer? at what cost? or can you buy and load else where? top of my shopping list is a good gps - i currently run a SpeedNavi v.4 MAP (excellent) very happy with this, easy update (download) every 6 months or so.

Has anybody got any ideas with Isuzu gps upates? Posted Image

cheers

#3 Big Guns

Big Guns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 2012-07-20 16:45:19

Sounds good. I've got a 2009 Isuzu D-Max 4x4 and I'll be looking to change it in May/June. I'm considering the Ford, Mazda and the Isuzu. I like the useful options Isuzu has such as the front camera, cargo dividers, cargo nets and the bike carrier. I've got the Super Up lid on mine and its been superb. I'm glad to hear that fuel consumption is still excellent with the new model and that there's lots of power. Is the Sat Nav in English? The reason I ask is that a mate of mine bought a 2010 Isuzu with Sat Nav but it was only in Thai.

#4 Carsten007

Carsten007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 2012-07-20 17:03:55

The Garmin Navi has right now Version 11.1
Updates i would do here http://www.noeman.or...html#post702693

the Kenwood has a MMC card, 2Gb, to be refilled 1. for money at some PC-Shack, or 2. on your own PC following my links.

The Nav is in english or Thai, and it has these 3d Visions when under a bridge in BKK; that is not doable when using a european version of Garmin hardware.

Front camera is only an option, its not installed. Was thinking of getting a bull-bar a little high so its visible from the driver seat. The rear cam is quite amazing once you start to believe it; had to get out several times to look and check and Posted Image ..... smile.

#5 culicine

culicine

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 2012-07-20 17:13:48

Had you test driven the ford / mazda / chev also? How did they compare? What is the current delivery time for the v-cross?

#6 MJCM

MJCM

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 2012-07-20 17:36:51

<snip>

The latest MAP version is v12.1

http://www.noeman.or...p-v12-1-nt.html

#7 Carsten007

Carsten007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 2012-07-20 19:32:38

<snip>

The latest MAP version is v12.1

http://www.noeman.or...p-v12-1-nt.html

that might be, i also had version 12 on my old Garmin. But for the moment i choose to use what came with the car. Their updates are minor and every 6 month..

Delivery is three month. I ordered on 31.3. and deposited 3.000 Baht. Every other dealer would tell the same, all eager to refund the 3,000 Deposit.
Now, three month later, i thought it would be less congested, but not. Three month. Still.

Have driven extensively the old Ford/Mazda; good on gas and handling. Chevi is as good, the old one. About the new models -- no idea.

Very promising from the outside but what about an American car that is cheap to run?
Never have seen that..

#8 2unique

2unique

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 2012-07-22 08:11:40

Sounds good. I've got a 2009 Isuzu D-Max 4x4 and I'll be looking to change it in May/June. I'm considering the Ford, Mazda and the Isuzu. I like the useful options Isuzu has such as the front camera, cargo dividers, cargo nets and the bike carrier. I've got the Super Up lid on mine and its been superb. I'm glad to hear that fuel consumption is still excellent with the new model and that there's lots of power. Is the Sat Nav in English? The reason I ask is that a mate of mine bought a 2010 Isuzu with Sat Nav but it was only in Thai.

It's the same Kenwood model in the MU7 you have to poke the reset button to get back to factory settings and set up in English. You can then add Thai to the input and when on keyboard press the symbol button x2 to change to Thai input.

Maps are on SD card and simple to download, then drag and drop to overwrite - backup first.

Saw the 4 door has a rear camera too which is slick as its housing is designed into the tailgate not just plonked into a convenient hole.

Sent from Android, please excuse errors in type or judgement.

#9 aviadbkk

aviadbkk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 2012-08-02 12:24:55

sound like a dream truck....i just canceled my vigo and thinking of getting the v-cross as a lot more dated than vigo with many cool extras...how much is the super up lid that u installed?

#10 aviadbkk

aviadbkk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 2012-08-03 23:43:30

did modify a few things: First, the Fuse box in the engine room. The lid is plastic on plastic so i put a bit of silicon to make it more insulated,

For 3.700 B i got a lock of the brake, at the same time cutting the ignition and an extra alarm when someone tries to fiddle there.

The rust-protection under the car was done "WishyWashy" so one more time at Isuzu near my place for 2000 Baht made the car "black" everywhere down under.

Third thing is the wheel-housing. mud and sand and whatever will fly straight into the engine room and that is not good. Cost was 1.800 with drilling and lots of silicone to close the gaps.

i put a lid on the back, Super Up.

Posted Image

Sounds like great tweaks...can u upload pics?

#11 transam

transam

V8 RULES

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 2012-08-04 11:27:58

sound like a dream truck....i just canceled my vigo and thinking of getting the v-cross as a lot more dated than vigo with many cool extras...how much is the super up lid that u installed?

You canceled a Vigo Posted Image

#12 aviadbkk

aviadbkk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 2012-08-04 19:33:47

You canceled a Vigo Posted Image

555 it's not the car to blame alone...the thai shop that i wanted to buy it from turn out to be a bit of a "handfull" so i went to isuzu and i got a whole different service :-) i'm sure the vigo's fine by the way...cheers

Edited by aviadbkk, 2012-08-04 19:34:01.

#13 oldmajor

oldmajor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 2013-04-27 07:57:36

Carsten,

10 months in now.... It would be interesting to hear how you are getting on with the VCross. You still happy? Anything to watch out for?

I purchased a VCross last month. Unfortunately, it arrived only a few days before I was leaving for work so have only managed one run from BKK to NR and surrounding areas and a few trips around BKK. My first impressions are good. Handled well on the trip to Korat, lots of power. Feels solid. I haven't driven trucks for a while so the HUUUGE turning circle took a little getting used to around the small sois in BKK. Looking forwards to putting it through its paces when I get home next month.

#14 Skint

Skint

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 2013-07-21 02:58:30

Is there any update on this? perhaps new owners since this was started also how much was the super up and where can it be purchased.

Thanks

#15 jcgodber

jcgodber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 2013-07-21 05:58:55

I have an Isuzu V Cross pearl white. I now have 30,000 kilometers on the clock. This is now my third Isuzu. I have the auto transmission which is WAY better than the one on my old Isuzu.
I have the Super Up  electric lid complete with sports bar. I particularly like the controls to operate the cover inside the cab as well as on the lid itself.  45,000 baht with paint to match,
There is also an LED light mounted on the inside of the cover to aid in night time loading
I have 20 inch Mag wheels and I also had the front camera installed. The front camera comes in handy sometimes in really tight parking.
I had sonar sensors installed on the rear to aid in parking
A few weeks ago I entered the Isuzu Insight fuel economy run event held for my province ( Sa Kaeo) I came in first place with 98 points and K/L average for 300 kilometers of 17.2

Kenwood  IN-DASH DVD +GPS MULTIMEDIA RECEIVERS 
 I tried to like it but it is not all that good. I use my trusty old Garmin mounted on the windshield. I do use the Kenwood with a small Ipod Nano which lets me play all my music.
I like the storage area behind the fold down rear seat back
I like the power seat (driver side)
I like the all leather interior
I like the power from the 3.0 liter engine
I like the folding side mirrors
I also added DTL daytime running lights

Attached Files

Edited by jcgodber, 2013-07-21 06:02:06.

#16 phutoie2

phutoie2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 2013-07-21 06:43:47

Good to see a well written report on TV, should be more like this. What have they done to the x - series though?, with that pig ugly bit of plastic behind the cab.
A general point but in the truck driving world we had cameras fitted to trailers years back, my last company had them all fitted. I was convinced it was to stop us crushing forklift drivers.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

#17 Ace of Pop

Ace of Pop

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 2013-07-21 08:57:25

Not being a Truck fan,but a user now n then,i find the Big 5 all have good points.Id be hard pressed to chose.Cant take to Ford anything in Thailand. Id go V Cross,Mitsu Lo Rider,at least the V Cross doesnt have the Toyota L&R Shimmy Suspension, that drives me mad.thumbsup.gif

#18 JAS21

JAS21

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 2013-07-21 15:28:49

I've had my V-Cross just a couple of weeks less that JCB ... I've done just over 27000kms.

The Kenwood unit .... it wiped all my favorites out a couple of weeks ago ... there is updated software available which will, they say, stop this happening ... so if you don't have this software GET IT.  I also now keep my garmin in the car.  I relied on the Kenwood to 'get me home' when out on my own ... probably had a lucky escape!!  

#19 JAS21

JAS21

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 2013-07-21 15:29:53

I've had my V-Cross just a couple of weeks less that JCB ... I've done just over 27000kms.

The Kenwood unit .... it wiped all my favorites out a couple of weeks ago ... there is updated software available which will, they say, stop this happening ... so if you don't have this software GET IT.  I also now keep my garmin in the car.  I relied on the Kenwood to 'get me home' when out on my own ... probably had a lucky escape!!  

#20 Skint

Skint

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 2013-07-21 18:56:13

Jcgodber,

Your truck is pretty much what i am looking for, do isuzu fit and paint the super up?

Are there ISOFIX points in the rear seats for baby seat or is it just seat belt fix?

The only other thing is the brown seats, do i assume they refuse to fit black?

The isuzu website is awful, do they have any promotions on at the minute and what extras did you all manage to get? Apologies for all the questions i have to send her to the garage as i wont be in Thailand for a couple of months and need to order something in next 2 weeks.

Thanks for yer input so far wai.gif

#21 jcgodber

jcgodber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 2013-07-21 19:38:03

you are stuck with brown upholstery

I don't know about anchors for child seat but sure you could install them

The Super Up dealer I went to was in Rangsit in Bangkok

Attached Files

#22 Ace of Pop

Ace of Pop

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 2013-07-23 06:38:19

You never read any comments from an Adult Passenger in the rear of 4door trucks. Hard as Mom n Pops Bench.ive found. Sent from my Old Office Chair using the Internet.thumbsup.gif

#23 JAS21

JAS21

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 2013-07-23 10:34:41

You never read any comments from an Adult Passenger in the rear of 4door trucks. Hard as Mom n Pops Bench.ive found. Sent from my Old Office Chair using the Internet.thumbsup.gif

And have you ever ridden in modern .. circa 2012/2013 Top of Range 4-Door Pick up ... guess not.

#24 Ace of Pop

Ace of Pop

Platinum Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 2013-07-23 11:03:40

And have you ever ridden in modern .. circa 2012/2013 Top of Range 4-Door Pick up ... guess not.

Yes thats why i posted,it should be at least as good as a Paj Sport but it aint., but they aint.thumbsup.gif

#25 stevenl

stevenl

Star Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,052 posts

Posted 2013-07-23 13:26:01

I have very regularly passengers in the back of my 4 door BT50. No complaints at all, comfortable ride with ample leg room as well.

Sponsored by ...

Quick Navigation  View New Content Site search: